Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

if you don't leave it fully depressed for long enough it makes them unsmooth though, he's not commenting on gear changes anymore though which is good!

and btw yeah I keep clutch down whole time quick movement up and then to 2nd :^_^: cus I can tell sometimes I won't be able to do it and it's worse struggling like tht with the clutrch down than just one more movement making mt life easier! I'lll try to do it straight to fourth next lesson :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    if the clutch is down for too long its still unecessary coasting... my ADI keeps telling me i leave mine down too long... i have to do quicker gear changes.
    Yeah, but what I mean is that a quick 4th - 3rd - 2nd should be quick enough that coasting doesn't occur.

Lillian, I assume you mean straight to second? Straight to fourth could be nasty
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    even when i do a block change 4th-2nd its down too long...

ReputationRep:
    You'll get it with practice I still occasionally can't find gears, usually if I'm panicking a bit

:ditto: Panicking ftl i hardly ever panick anymore though!

ReputationRep:
    I wish my instructor would have informed me the clutch controls the speed, thus hammering the accelerator whilst controlling it with the clutch will stop stalling haha. Bloody fool.

Seriously, learn with your parents, screw instructors, you learn nothing.

my instructor's a ledge , seriously insanely good teacher.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto: My dad's too terrified to even sit in the car with me, so i can't even practice - my brother hasn't been qualified long enough to go out with him!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I changed 'down' to 5th the other day when I wanted 3rd (going down a hill). I could hear it struggling and was thinking '5th' when my instructor said 'think you've got 5th there' ... 12 lessons and still I'm fluffing it up!

(Original post by Pony Jack)
    Haha, I changed 'down' to 5th the other day when I wanted 3rd (going down a hill). I could hear it struggling and was thinking '5th' when my instructor said 'think you've got 5th there' ... 12 lessons and still I'm fluffing it up!
    not to worry about 20 lessons adn did that on Monday :cool: I got 4th instead of 2nd round a corner, third instead of fifth trying to change into third genius award now PLS :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I remember doing that when setting off, I went from first to fourth. The most shocking thing was that it didn't stall.

ReputationRep:
    Passed my theory, 50/50, 48/75 Still, a pass is a pass, no matter how many lorries I don't see steaming towards me

ReputationRep:
    How many out of 50 do you need to get?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i totally forgot it was now 50! congrats! You need 43 out of 50 to pass.

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back from my 1st ever automatic lesson, and I'm grinning from ear to ear. It's sooo easy.

My new ADI has recommended 10 lessons then I'll be looking at booking my test. I can't believe it. He said my driving was really good, and that we just need to brush up the maneouvres and then I can take my test.

I'm so chuffed. I can't for one minute think of a reason why anyone would prefer to drive manual. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Dual carriageways today - aaargh it's so long since I've been on one. 5th gear is weird :eek:

I'm nearly up to test standard though (had 30 lessons - about time!) I just need to tweak my manouvres, the bay parking one has still not really clicked yet.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I've just come back from my 1st ever automatic lesson, and I'm grinning from ear to ear. It's sooo easy.

My new ADI has recommended 10 lessons then I'll be looking at booking my test. I can't believe it. He said my driving was really good, and that we just need to brush up the maneouvres and then I can take my test.

I'm so chuffed. I can't for one minute think of a reason why anyone would prefer to drive manual. lol.
    glad it went well!

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks Lillian!!

no problem
    did you keep putting your hand down to change gears etc? Was it a different feel to driving etc? Sorry for so many questions just curious

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.