Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Zack: If i'm honest, by what you've said in your above post it looks like your instructor is taking the piss.

Nine lessons just driving around, and not even reversed? No instructor does that. Normally you do the manouvers and combine that with driving. For example, I had done all the manouvers by my seventh lesson and after that it was driving around and throwing in manouvers whilst doing so. It was more realistic, and this is what will happen in the test too.

Then your instructor says ''people use alot of lessons'' - If he's a good instructor it shouldn't take ''lots'' of his pupils ''lots'' of lessons to perfect arguably the simplest manouver.

Perhaps I've misinterpreted what he said, and his method may be very good - but this is just my opinion.
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    I totally agree with you. While doing manouvers you're practising your general driving, and therefore improving as you go. Trying to get your general driving perfect before starting manouvers would take an extremely long time.
    In a way I agree with both of you, and if it was some random who I found in the paper I would be questioning how good he really is by now, but I do know other people who really recommend him and he does seem good (not that I have anything to judge him against). Well compared to my mates instructor who took 3 lessons to let him drive on the proper roads!?

I don't think he's trying to get it up to perfect standard, but I think if I went into the test now (if you took the 3 reverse manoeuvres out of it) I would be pretty close to passing, he seems to think that too, so it's just manoeuvres then I can book it and we can be going round test routes while waiting, by the sound of it…. And I think he means lots of lessons to get all 3 of them right, but hopefully that was just to not make me feel bad because I was hopeless at it, rather than the truth....

(Original post by FXX)
    Not true. My instructor spent a few lessons getting me confident on the main roads before start maneuvers. Getting the general driving right helps with clutch control (otherwise you'll constantly stall and lose confidence when doing the moves) and maneuvers don't help with things like roundabouts, dual carriageways, one way systems, etc, which are arguably far more important to be confident with. There's no point knowing how to park if you can't approach a roundabout without tearing your hair out.
    Yea that's what he was basically saying to me. When I stalled loads in a row in my 2nd lesson (despite being fine first lesson!) I wasn't very happy. Even now my gear changes are not that smooth as I forget to do it slowly lol, so that could be part of the reason as I know I would have been very annoyed if I kept stalling on reverse. It just seems maybe a bit too late, the last few lessons I have been getting comfortable with driving, then to suddenly throw this on me it's like being back at the beginning again!

Also it could be because I have 2 lessons a week, so it's only been 4 weeks since I started. 9 lessons with 1 lesson a week does seem a very long time, but a month seems quite short to pick up and remember the roundabouts etc. I know intensive courses are done in like a week, but I think even then people would only move onto reverse etc after the first day? So that's 5 or 6 hours at least of continuous.

If/when I fail I still think I’m going to go for an intensive one (I could do with a holiday!) if I’m not far off, they rely on cancelled tests so would get a quicker retake than normal

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what people are saying. I had an instructor at uni (you can find my progress documented in here) and I thought it was going fine and that I was a bit of a slow learner, thats all. I spent near enough a term on TIR. I got bored over the summer and so got a driving instructor at home with 5/6 weeks left of the holiday. I took my test the last day of my holidays and passed, after pretty much learning every manoeuvre in that time. My original instructor also pulled the 'Everyone takes that long, we'll get your general driving perfect, then work on the manoeuvres.' card. And I forgot what else I was going to say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    I agree with what people are saying. I had an instructor at uni (you can find my progress documented in here) and I thought it was going fine and that I was a bit of a slow learner, thats all. I spent near enough a term on TIR. I got bored over the summer and so got a driving instructor at home with 5/6 weeks left of the holiday. I took my test the last day of my holidays and passed, after pretty much learning every manoeuvre in that time. My original instructor also pulled the 'Everyone takes that long, we'll get your general driving perfect, then work on the manoeuvres.' card. And I forgot what else I was going to say...
    Oh dear! It's not looking too good as mine is sounding almost identical! I will give him the benefit of the doubt until Christmas I think, which would be another 11 lessons so more than enough for him to judge I think, but he knows I want to pass quickly so if I can't get a time out of him by then I think it would be time to look at switching....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Oh dear! It's not looking too good as mine is sounding almost identical! I will give him the benefit of the doubt until Christmas I think, which would be another 11 lessons so more than enough for him to judge I think, but he knows I want to pass quickly so if I can't get a time out of him by then I think it would be time to look at switching....
    If yours is the same as Seph's (I haven't read back), then don't waste your time until Christmas, 11 lessons would be a lot of money, which is better off spent elsewhere tbh. Change instructors, and get on with passing your test

ReputationRep:
    I just had my third lesson and we did junctions and my head was just all over the place with there being so much to remember. Apart from the fact that the sun is so low in the sky and really bright today making me not able to see anything, the problem I have with stopping didn't help when trying to stop at junctions.

It also feels that there's not enough time in the road for me to do everything that's needed, aswell as change gear, and attempt to stop properly!

(Original post by Cy4nide)
    I just had my third lesson and we did junctions and my head was just all over the place with there being so much to remember. Apart from the fact that the sun is so low in the sky and really bright today making me not able to see anything, the problem I have with stopping didn't help when trying to stop at junctions.

It also feels that there's not enough time in the road for me to do everything that's needed, aswell as change gear, and attempt to stop properly!
    You're going in too quickly then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    You're going in too quickly then
    But I'm hardly moving, and I take my foot off the gas about halfway down the road.

Can I ask you, how do you stop?

(Original post by Cy4nide)
    But I'm hardly moving, and I take my foot off the gas about halfway down the road.

Can I ask you, how do you stop?
    Well, what are you doing wrong? Are you going in too fast and overshooting the lines or are you going in too slowly and stopping too early? Whichever it is, bear in mind that getting the balance comes with practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Well, what are you doing wrong? Are you going in too fast and overshooting the lines or are you going in too slowly and stopping too early? Whichever it is, bear in mind that getting the balance comes with practice.
    I stop too early but by the time I've pressed the brake and jerked the car forward I'm right on the line. My instructor tells me it's a little pressure on the brake, clutch all the way down and then a little more on the brake. I do this but I can never seem to get it right, I either press it too hard or too lightly so that I don't seem to stop so I press harder and then the car jerks.

I know people who say it's gonna take time are right but I've been picking everything else up alright that it's annoying me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    If yours is the same as Seph's (I haven't read back), then don't waste your time until Christmas, 11 lessons would be a lot of money, which is better off spent elsewhere tbh. Change instructors, and get on with passing your test
    Nope not the same, just comes out with the same lines!

I agree that he may have waited slightly too long before starting the manoeuvres (not helped by me messing basic things up sometimes), but that was my first lesson on reversing so maybe I should expect it to be hard like it was, see if it gets easier in the next few lessons. I think that my general driving is close to text standard (when I concentrate and cut the stupid mistakes......) so that's that part of his plan done, it's just seeing how I pick up the manoeuvres.

TBH I just want to pass soon, and he knows that, so even if that means taking a few more lessons than I may need (with him) it seems a better option than switching where I may save a few quid, but then have to go through assessment etc to see where I'm up too. Obviously if I'm still at this stage come January then I'll be asking serious questions to him, as with the test backlog I want to be booking it by Feb at least. I don't want to go into a test in June knowing it's my only chance and I must pass, I want to go in like April and know if I fail I can book again.

My mate said earlier that there is an intensive school in Bath. Shame I didn’t know about that in the summer (it’s only in yellow pages he says, certainly wasn’t on the internet when I looked) as I would have taken that, no need to get hotels etc as I just get the bus in the morning (or get them to come and pick me up). My mates going on one in a few weeks, so I’ll see what he has to say about it, if it’s good then I might go in at the intermediate level for a few hundred quid (which includes paid test) and have a shot at that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Nope not the same, just comes out with the same lines!

I agree that he may have waited slightly too long before starting the manoeuvres (not helped by me messing basic things up sometimes), but that was my first lesson on reversing so maybe I should expect it to be hard like it was, see if it gets easier in the next few lessons. I think that my general driving is close to text standard (when I concentrate and cut the stupid mistakes......) so that's that part of his plan done, it's just seeing how I pick up the manoeuvres.

TBH I just want to pass soon, and he knows that, so even if that means taking a few more lessons than I may need (with him) it seems a better option than switching where I may save a few quid, but then have to go through assessment etc to see where I'm up too. Obviously if I'm still at this stage come January then I'll be asking serious questions to him, as with the test backlog I want to be booking it by Feb at least. I don't want to go into a test in June knowing it's my only chance and I must pass, I want to go in like April and know if I fail I can book again.

My mate said earlier that there is an intensive school in Bath. Shame I didn’t know about that in the summer (it’s only in yellow pages he says, certainly wasn’t on the internet when I looked) as I would have taken that, no need to get hotels etc as I just get the bus in the morning (or get them to come and pick me up). My mates going on one in a few weeks, so I’ll see what he has to say about it, if it’s good then I might go in at the intermediate level for a few hundred quid (which includes paid test) and have a shot at that
    I personally don't think that what your instructor is doing is all bad. My mum taught me by doing lots of driving and nearer the test i learnt the manouvers. I didn't want to be doing them too soon!

But i can't stress this enough, do not use an intensive course! They are complete shambles. You don't drive for a long time at all, and if they don't believe you are up to test standard, you don't get put in for test (and they are covered - they don't have to give you more lessons). And think about it, you won't have much road experience. You are learning to pass a test on those courses, and you'll get completely lost when you actually come to driving on your own. I guess some people are convinced it's the right (and cheapest) way to go about learning, but most of the centres are just money-grabbing, and really don't do the learners any favours. Oh, and they probably won't pick you up from home, which ADI's do. Maybe i'm a little biased, but i've had friends go on these, who have had to have 30+ lessons after they weren't put in for tests.

ReputationRep:
    I've had 4 lessons now, 2 of which were 1 and a half hours. 5th lesson is next week and apparently I'm going to drive straight away, from the house to wherever we are going. The instructor says I've got steering and gear changes and left turns great, just got to work on right turns a bit more. I've driven in all 4 gears and done lots of roundabouts so seems good.
    I love the lessons although I still get nervous just before them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipswichblade)
    I've had 4 lessons now, 2 of which were 1 and a half hours. 5th lesson is next week and apparently I'm going to drive straight away, from the house to wherever we are going. The instructor says I've got steering and gear changes and left turns great, just got to work on right turns a bit more. I've driven in all 4 gears and done lots of roundabouts so seems good.
    I love the lessons although I still get nervous just before them.
    There are 5 gears + reverse you know :p: But congrats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky.fm)
    There are 5 gears + reverse you know :p: But congrats
    Well I'm not going to be reversing yet...only had 4 lessons so the main gears is what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not going to be reversing yet...only had 4 lessons so the main gears is what I meant.
    I meant there is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. It's best to use 5th if you go over 50

ReputationRep:
    5th gear isn't a main gear? :p:

I loved driving straight away. But what's more, my instructor goes to the garage sometimes, and it's so weird going back to the car, keys in hand, unlocking it and then getting inside and turning on the engine.

Congrats

ReputationRep:
    5th gear isn't a main gear? :p:

I loved driving straight away. But what's more, my instructor goes to the garage sometimes, and it's so weird going back to the car, keys in hand, unlocking it and then getting inside and turning on the engine.

Congrats
    Whatever! :p: Wouldn't expect to be using 5th.
    I just want to have passed my test before I go to Uni next year. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Whatever! :p: Wouldn't expect to be using 5th.
    I just want to have passed my test before I go to Uni next year. :yep:
    I love going in 5th... It's awesome down a national road with no cars!

When does your instructor think you'll be ready to take your test?

ReputationRep:
    I love going in 5th... It's awesome down a national road with no cars!

When does your instructor think you'll be ready to take your test?
    I dread to think. not worrying about that yet! Don't mind how long it takes within reason as long as I pass first time.

ReputationRep:
    I dread to think. not worrying about that yet! Don't mind how long it takes within reason as long as I pass first time.
    I want that as well. I know people say that it's unlikely, but the majority of people in my year have passed first time.... either that, or they're on their 4th test.

I only hope I can pass. I don't care how many minors I get (up to the limit ), as long as I get no majors.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.