The Learner driver progression thread Watch

alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im sometimes suprised people pull out all the time infront of learners. i understand they "dont wanna get stuck behind a learner". But there is more chance of a learner hitting them really, especially if its not dual control. Several times idiots have pulled out infront of me while ive been going along the main road by my house with my mum and ive had to brake quite harsh- for all they know i could have gone straight into them!
And the other day some idiot overtook me on a hill, when i had slowed down because there was a horse infront of me (it was the new forest) and another time i slowed down because 2 deer jumped into the road, the driver behind overtook, he must have thought "oh stupid learner slowing down for no reason, i shall overtake".
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
A friend of mine knocked the curb as soon as she got out of the centre, but for some reason she still passed. We think he put it down to nerves and let her carry on.
Yea, it depends who you get really. I know they say they make allowances for it but some of them are more grumpy than others and just think oh well they hit the kerb, fail.

I thought you could hit the kerb anyway, just not mount it? Although hitting it would obviously be a driving fault for positioning so you would fail if you keep doing it

(Original post by alexa123)
I went 3 weeks without driving while away in the summer and i thought oh god when im come back and have a lesson i shall be awful, but actually i was waay better than i was before. If you go into the lesson thinking it will go wrong, often it will.

How does everyone find driving/having lessons in the dark? Ive driven once in the dark with mum, didnt really faze me but i know mum hates driving in the dark for a long time! the only bit i found a bit annoying was flicking the headlights. Got my first lesson in the dark next week.
Yea that's true, I have to be positive about tomorrow :eek:. My instructor drove past me earlier lol! Put his hand up when he saw me

I had one the other day, but as it was in town just kept headlights on dipped as there were streetlights and stuff everywhere and there was a car in front of me half the time anyway

Had a lesson last night, and it scared the crap outta me.

Everyone had their lights on full beam and I couldn't keep straight!
I hate that, some car coming towards me did it, was like ahhhhh

The sun annoys me too, had one the other day where it was really low

(Original post by alexa123)
Im sometimes suprised people pull out all the time infront of learners. i understand they "dont wanna get stuck behind a learner". But there is more chance of a learner hitting them really, especially if its not dual control. Several times idiots have pulled out infront of me while ive been going along the main road by my house with my mum and ive had to brake quite harsh- for all they know i could have gone straight into them!
And the other day some idiot overtook me on a hill, when i had slowed down because there was a horse infront of me (it was the new forest) and another time i slowed down because 2 deer jumped into the road, the driver behind overtook, he must have thought "oh stupid learner slowing down for no reason, i shall overtake".
Yea it's stupid, someone pulled out infront of me going round a roundabout (just like on the Hazard DVD lol!), idiots. Also I had some who was signalling left so I went and she went right in front of me and started beeping, signal then.....idiots!
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Yea it's stupid, someone pulled out infront of me going round a roundabout (just like on the Hazard DVD lol!), idiots. Also I had some who was signalling left so I went and she went right in front of me and started beeping, signal then.....idiots!
Happens a lot, you can usually tell is a person is going to exit the roundabout based on their speed and road positioning, meaning that if they have an incorrect signal on its still easy to tell if they are going to carry on round or not
The Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)

The sun annoys me too, had one the other day where it was really low
It was really sunny on my test! I think in some respects low sun can be worse than having rain in your test. I couldn't see the road markings, or giveway lines half the time, untill I got quite close. The sun visors don't work for me much either lol.
AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Yea that's true, I have to be positive about tomorrow :eek:
Your test is tomorrow?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your test is tomorrow?
Haha, no way! Wish it was though!

No just doing these damn manoeuvres which I haven't got a clue about and think I'm gonna fail horribly at.....

Theory in less than 2 weeks though, think I'll fail that! Doesn't look good if I do fail though as apart from 23rd and 30th (as it stands) there are none until the new year! I can't really do 30th either as I might be going to Manchester the day before, don't wanna get back at like 4am then have a test a few hours later! :p:. Hopefully some of the slots on 23rd remain free........
Tomdotcom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)

No just doing these damn manoeuvres which I haven't got a clue about and think I'm gonna fail horribly at.....

Theory in less than 2 weeks though, think I'll fail that! Doesn't look good if I do fail though as apart from 23rd and 30th (as it stands) there are none until the new year! I can't really do 30th either as I might be going to Manchester the day before, don't wanna get back at like 4am then have a test a few hours later! :p:. Hopefully some of the slots on 23rd remain free........
If you go over the DSA CDs through all the questions and repeat the hazard perception until you get a feel for it you'll do fine :yep: I know a few people that have passed hazard perception despite getting 0/5 for two sections!
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)

It takes real skill to fail the theory test, sure you'll be fine
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)

You'll be fine. The theory test is simple. Just study the highway code, and do a little practice for the Hazard Perception and you'll pass with flying colours
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomdotcom)
If you go over the DSA CDs through all the questions and repeat the hazard perception until you get a feel for it you'll do fine :yep: I know a few people that have passed hazard perception despite getting 0/5 for two sections!
Wow they must have got a few 5's though, the 5 seems to be so quick!

(Original post by Alex L)
It takes real skill to fail the theory test, sure you'll be fine
Haha, I was going to say has anyone on here failed the theory, I can't remember seeing it! My mate failed the other day. Not for the Hazard which everyone says is hardest, but because he only got 40 in the first part :eek: That would make me mad lol, all this worrying about the Hazard Perception bit and then I pass that but fail the first bit, then in the retake I pass the first bit and fail Hazard! :p: I can just see it happening!!

You'll be fine. The theory test is simple. Just study the highway code, and do a little practice for the Hazard Perception and you'll pass with flying colours
Thanks everyone Hopefully I will! I have just done a few of the multiple choice questions and keep doing ok on that so it's the Hazard that I really have to concentrate on. Also my test is at lunchtime so I can practice all morning on Hazard on the day. Hopefully that’ll be enough…

If not I'll have to try and get another slot before new year! Just checking, I think the answer to this is no but I don’t think it actually says it, could I book another theory for say 23rd while it's still available and then cancel it if I pass the first one? Or will it only let you have one at a time? I know it'll take the £30 out my bank and eventually refund it (obviously I’ll have to book it so it’s 3+ working days from my original or I wouldn’t get money back), would be nice to have it secure before new year if possible though, then I can get on to moaning at my instructor to give me a date for a test! :p: I know if I ask him now he’ll just say concentrate on the theory first!!
overclocked
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't do reverse around a corner !
BananaMuffin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Been sick all of last night and feel rubbish today.

Test in 2 days, perfect timing eh?
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Now I'm getting nervous. My test is in a few hours and it's raining really bad
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BananaMuffin)
Been sick all of last night and feel rubbish today.

Test in 2 days, perfect timing eh?
Oh dear! Hope you're feeling better on Monday!! Can't put your test back now either . Actually I think you can move it for free if you can get a doctors note though, that might be an option rather than just trying to take it anyway

Oh dear! Hopefully it would have stopped a bit by then so you don't have to mess about with wipers or anything, just a shame the roads are gonna be wet. Good luck!
thebirthoftragedy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck

I've had 15 lessons and haven't yet driven in the rain, lol.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ha just did a mock Hazard exam again. Thought it went ok, looked through the results and it started with 1.....3........3.......1.......s o I thought oh dear I've failed, not a big deal but I don't really want to fail any of these ones, then I got to the double question and got 10/10 for that, got 53/75 overall again!!! Crazy how 1 question can change the whole test, but that's why they emphasise paying attention so much I suppose
MKJL450
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Ha just did a mock Hazard exam again. Thought it went ok, looked through the results and it started with 1.....3........3.......1.......s o I thought oh dear I've failed, not a big deal but I don't really want to fail any of these ones, then I got to the double question and got 10/10 for that, got 53/75 overall again!!! Crazy how 1 question can change the whole test, but that's why they emphasise paying attention so much I suppose

yeh thats not bad! The hazard is horrible though i think its really stupid.

I might have a go now actually

I havent even tried the exam bit on my disk yet!
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MKJL450)
yeh thats not bad! The hazard is horrible though i think its really stupid.

I might have a go now actually

I havent even tried the exam bit on my disk yet!
lol, you not going in for the test soon then?

I just took the first part with the multiple choice questions. Got 98% and finished it in 9 minutes lol, I have done 3 now and the average time remaining is 48minutes it says lol. The one I got wrong was one I flagged up and revisited. It is a stupid question, I think :confused:.

On a motorway with heavy traffic the car behind is following too closely, what do you do?

The choices were something stupid like brake harshly (lol!), leave a bigger gap between you and the car in front , hazard lights or something else. I picked hazard lights, but the thing says the correct answer is to leave a bigger gap between the car in front. How would that help The person behind will still be close to you, and as soon as you go close to the car in front again the muppet behind you will just carry on being close to you

Robbed of 100% lol!!
MKJL450
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
lol, you not going in for the test soon then?

I just took the first part with the multiple choice questions. Got 98% and finished it in 9 minutes lol, I have done 3 now and the average time remaining is 48minutes it says lol. The one I got wrong was one I flagged up and revisited. It is a stupid question, I think :confused:.

On a motorway with heavy traffic the car behind is following too closely, what do you do?

The choices were something stupid like brake harshly (lol!), leave a bigger gap between you and the car in front , hazard lights or something else. I picked hazard lights, but the thing says the correct answer is to leave a bigger gap between the car in front. How would that help The person behind will still be close to you, and as soon as you go close to the car in front again the muppet behind you will just carry on being close to you

Robbed of 100% lol!!
Ah i see!! I booked my theory for Jan.. I have been doing my theory and keep failing. I just did Hazard perception for the first time and i got 54 out of 75 lol. oops. Yeh i wouldnt have chosen that answer either. Whens your test then??
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)

Robbed of 100% lol!!
The idea is that you will see the car in front braking earlier so you won't need to be so harsh on the brakes to avoid rear-ending them. That means the tailgating car behind has a better chance of braking before they hit you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.34%
No - I got the required grades (97)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.57%

Watched Threads