The Learner driver progression thread Watch

AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm, they still haven't sent me my confirmation in the post, and it's been a week since I changed it.

Hope everyone's lessons are going well
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Hmmm, they still haven't sent me my confirmation in the post, and it's been a week since I changed it.

Hope everyone's lessons are going well
Did you copy the booking number? That should be enough if it doesn't come

At the theory loads of people turned up with their license and not the letter. They seemed to put the confirmations to one side and use the licenses to do initial check-in, then sign in and sign out with it.

One turned up without the paper bit so he wasn't allowed to take it! :eek:. He was trying to say he only got the photocard in the post, the lady was like no that wouldn't happen and your supposed to keep both together to produce when required, he was like well it did, she's like sorry but that wouldn't happen, you'll have to rebook! :eek:

They did seem slow to send my 3 letters through though lol so may still come, eventually
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Did you copy the booking number? That should be enough if it doesn't come

At the theory loads of people turned up with their license and not the letter. They seemed to put the confirmations to one side and use the licenses to do initial check-in, then sign in and sign out with it.

One turned up without the paper bit so he wasn't allowed to take it! :eek:. He was trying to say he only got the photocard in the post, the lady was like no that wouldn't happen and your supposed to keep both together to produce when required, he was like well it did, she's like sorry but that wouldn't happen, you'll have to rebook! :eek:

They did seem slow to send my 3 letters through though lol so may still come, eventually
They sent my first one, I got my second one two days ago... yet I changed my test for the third time last week

I know the date and time so it should all be okay, though. How did your theory test go?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They sent my first one, I got my second one two days ago... yet I changed my test for the third time last week

I know the date and time so it should all be okay, though. How did your theory test go?
Haha, crazy!

Yea both parts of your license should be all you need really, they should be able to look you up like they did for theorys

Haha, not well, got 100% in first bit and failed Hazard by 5 marks after being disqualified from 2 of them lol! Even though I wasn't cheating (5 clicks is not excessive!!) but oh well, can't change it now, stupid computer!

Says that you have to wait at least 3 clear working days before having a new test. There’s one on Monday I want, but it's too late so can't have it, if I can get an earlier one I would try to get it. I take it Saturday is a working day as they have tests on Saturday , so Thursday, Friday, Saturday should leave me fine to move it forward to Monday if an earlier time becomes available (by tonight!)
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Haha, crazy!

Yea both parts of your license should be all you need really, they should be able to look you up like they did for theorys

Haha, not well, got 100% in first bit and failed Hazard by 5 marks after being disqualified from 2 of them lol! Even though I wasn't cheating (5 clicks is not excessive!!) but oh well, can't change it now, stupid computer!

Says that you have to wait at least 3 clear working days before having a new test. There’s one on Monday I want, but it's too late so can't have it, if I can get an earlier one I would try to get it. I take it Saturday is a working day as they have tests on Saturday , so Thursday, Friday, Saturday should leave me fine to move it forward to Monday if an earlier time becomes available (by tonight!)
Well I hope something comes up And I know you'll pass it with flying colours!

The only thing is, my signature is different to the one on my licence... but it costs £17.50 to have it changed, and that's a waste of money if you ask me.
musicmonkey_08
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys, my test was cancelled due to fog and ice that day... I had an hour and a half before with little problems before. They gave me the 29th Jan as a replacement so I'm currently looking everyday for a cancellation
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I hope something comes up And I know you'll pass it with flying colours!

The only thing is, my signature is different to the one on my licence... but it costs £17.50 to have it changed, and that's a waste of money if you ask me.
Doesn't look like it's going to, it's the Tuesday I've got or 29th by the look of it! Or I could move it to 29th and hope to move it back again . If it stays on Tuesday it will be annoying and I'll arrive so early!!

Haha, my name is different but they won't change it! Just make sure you sign the "wrong" signature at test sign-in!!

(Original post by musicmonkey_08)
Hey guys, my test was cancelled due to fog and ice that day... I had an hour and a half before with little problems before. They gave me the 29th Jan as a replacement so I'm currently looking everyday for a cancellation
Hope you get one, probably will at the start of Jan, just depends when you can make it, but that would be good
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Doesn't look like it's going to, it's the Tuesday I've got or 29th by the look of it! Or I could move it to 29th and hope to move it back again . If it stays on Tuesday it will be annoying and I'll arrive so early!!

Haha, my name is different but they won't change it! Just make sure you sign the "wrong" signature at test sign-in!!
Just before my test when I was signing all the papers, I was like "I have a different signature now"! So embarrassing!

Hmm, which day do you want more?
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What, does this mean you have to make sure your signature is the same when you sign as it is on the provisional, graah i dont even have a signature. i just write my name and my spelling always changes.. arrh!

My instructors managed to fit in another lesson this weekend, so i can catch up now
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just before my test when I was signing all the papers, I was like "I have a different signature now"! So embarrassing!

Hmm, which day do you want more?
Haha, I haven't even got a signature really. The signature on my license is tiny, I didn't realise they took a digital copy of it and put it on the license, so I just did it in the box small, would have done it massive and filled the box if I know it would come out on the license like that!! When I change my name it’ll be MASSIVE :p:

The most embarrassing bit will be when I go back and they say to everyone "HAVE YOU TAKEN THE TEST BEFORE?". I don't know why as someone said she had loads of times and nothing special happened for her? Didn't seem like it anyway, they just told her to turn her phone off like they told everyone else

I want this Monday the most, but it doesn't look like it'll happen though so I'll have to stick to the awkward time on Tuesday! . Could put it back to 29th and bring it forward again later on but I think I’ll just try and get it over and done with!
sparkles21
Report 10 years ago
God I'm nervous now!! But had a really good lesson tonight so hopefully it will be ok, fingers crossed.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sparkles21)
God I'm nervous now!! But just had a really good lesson so hopefully it will be ok, fingers crossed.
Aww! Pleased your lesson went well Hopefully the same will happen tomorrow in your test
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
What, does this mean you have to make sure your signature is the same when you sign as it is on the provisional, graah i dont even have a signature. i just write my name and my spelling always changes.. arrh!

My instructors managed to fit in another lesson this weekend, so i can catch up now
Didn't see this earlier, you posted between me opening the thread and then I got distracted before I actually replied to it! I saw my post was on a new page so thought the other post was the last!

Technically yea. It's an electronic pad to sign on. You can see how you signed by looking at the front of your provisional. It shouldn't matter anyway as long as it's kind of similar. My one is tiny on the card so I pity the women at the desk if she was trying to see if I dotted the I haha.

They probably just do what banks do for cheques and look for same kind of style/length and that it. Or just don't bother at all :p:

It's mostly just for a legal thing I guess, like the pointless check-in questions at airports. You could turn up at test centre and claim you didn't know (despite the fact it says clearly when booking the driver must be named and the named person must take the test......) and claim you didn't notice the 10 signs in the centre, but as soon as they have it on record that you have signed as someone else then they can prove that's dishonest and you intended to cheat the system.

Haha, it would help if I could spell............. :banghead:
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)

Yep It's to make sure you're the same person... but it's really inconvenient as I did it when I didn't have a signature, and now I do.

(Original post by sparkles21)
God I'm nervous now!! But had a really good lesson tonight so hopefully it will be ok, fingers crossed.
You'll do fine! Good luck! :yep:
EmbracedBySin
Report 10 years ago
anyone done a theory test yet?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EmbracedBySin)
anyone done a theory test yet?
lol, yea don't click too much!!!

Too much = 6 in some clips, although you get away with that in others
EmbracedBySin
Report 10 years ago
ive only had about 6hr of lessons so far...

just been reading up on theory and what i should know, got a few books - theyre quite sneaky
like its raining and the driver ahead is braking, what should i do, hazzard lights or dipped headlights?
...it was the latter apparently

basic start, stop turning and 3rd gear
my first turn from a main road - i forgot to turn the steering wheel
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EmbracedBySin)
ive only had about 6hr of lessons so far...

just been reading up on theory and what i should know, got a few books - theyre quite sneaky
like its raining and the driver ahead is braking, what should i do, hazzard lights or dipped headlights?
...it was the latter apparently

basic start, stop turning and 3rd gear
my first turn from a main road - i forgot to turn the steering wheel
You might be getting confused with braking suddenly on the motorway/dual carriageway, where you should briefly use hazard warning lights as slowing that quickly at such speed is a hazard, but in normal rain it's dipped headlights. But yea they are really sneaky with some of the wording, one that nearly caught me out on the test was the wording of right/left, can't remember the other one, but the way the question was put made me laugh. I'll remember it if I see it on the mock thing again!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test...9111712&sr=1-1

That is what I have, it includes an electronic copy of the highway code which is linked into the questions, so if you don’t understand something it will take you to the highway code where you will see the full rule, plus when it says correct/incorrect if you click “why?” it gives you the reason for it. The hazard software is far too nice when it comes to disqualifying you for clicking, that’s why I thought I was allowed to click so much in the proper test!

lol, it all seems a bit strange at first, you'll get used to it in the end! I can't believe I'm using the gears by myself knowing when to go to 4th etc, at first when people said I would get used to it I thought they were mad!

I did reverse around corner in my lesson today and turned the wheel the wrong way haha! Don't know what I was playing at, I have done lots and apart from that one they were all good/passable with a few perfect ones!

Got to practice basically emergency stop today too, coming round a corner at around 60 and a maintenance type van was parked up cutting the hedge with a team of workmen doing something else (why couldn't they have used the big grass verge!!!) taking up my side of the road, was looking to go round it but then an oncoming car came round the other corner so he would have got there before me, instructor went for the brakes but I beat him to it so he said well done for stopping then, a lot of people my age would have tried to get through lol. Can’t believe I stopped in such a short amount of time though, was certainly different to the one I practiced the other week at 20 lol!
The Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
lol, yea don't click too much!!!

Too much = 6 in some clips, although you get away with that in others
Unlucky - Did you click six times quickly? As I clicked eight times in one and wasn't disqualified (and i'm pretty sure that wasn't the one with the two hazards)

Also your signature doesn't have to even be similar, in my case mine was completely different, as the electronic pad is awkward. to write on!
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
Unlucky - Did you click six times quickly? As I clicked eight times in one and wasn't disqualified (and i'm pretty sure that wasn't the one with the two hazards)

Also your signature doesn't have to even be similar, in my case mine was completely different, as the electronic pad is awkward. to write on!
3 spaced out, then the other 2/3 about 10 seconds later within about 5 seconds (as I first saw it, as it was about to cut in front of me and then when it did). But yea I clicked others similar/more too and only got kicked off 1 of them. On the DVD I have clicked 12/14 times for some though and only been disqualified 2 or 3 times, so just thought I could do it the same for the real test so to get that on the first clip then another one a few clips later and know I had messed up the hazard wasn't the best start lol. Got to do it on Tuesday now as it won't let me move it now, so hopefully I just do the same as I did Friday in the 5/4/3 rated clips and do a bit better in the double hazard then don't get disqualified from any and should be ok lol!

Yea mine must have been different too. They have CCTV so I suppose even the practice of you being on film signing in someone else’s name is enough even if you haven't attempted to make it the same. My passport 2 were different and that got given to me so can't be that much of a big deal unless they suspect something!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (16)
18.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (36)
41.38%
Nope, not that interesting (35)
40.23%

Watched Threads