The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had a lesson today, after my last lesson where we focused on pedal control. Today's lesson was about emerging left/right from junctions without stopping, and carrying on.

My main problem was that after Id' put it into 1st gear, and slowly creeped up to the edge, I stalled about twice. Im not sure what to do with the clutch, do I slowly bring it up? Also, today we spent about half hour doing this, and Im thinking we'll spend the next lesson on it also. Is that same for the rest? Ure instructor teaches you something around about the half hour mark of a lesson, then spends the majority of the next lesson working on that skill?

Also, does anyone else talk to themselves in their head when they are driving? My instructor made some mention of this, I havent done it but I might do as it might help me concentrate as sometimes IMO my mind drifts off abit.

Im alot more confident about gear changes, they went alot smoother.
Sammi22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Had a lesson today, after my last lesson where we focused on pedal control. Today's lesson was about emerging left/right from junctions without stopping, and carrying on.

My main problem was that after Id' put it into 1st gear, and slowly creeped up to the edge, I stalled about twice. Im not sure what to do with the clutch, do I slowly bring it up? Also, today we spent about half hour doing this, and Im thinking we'll spend the next lesson on it also. Is that same for the rest? Ure instructor teaches you something around about the half hour mark of a lesson, then spends the majority of the next lesson working on that skill?

Also, does anyone else talk to themselves in their head when they are driving? My instructor made some mention of this, I havent done it but I might do as it might help me concentrate as sometimes IMO my mind drifts off abit.

I used to do this and end up stalled, half way out of a junction. Not fun. You're supposed to bring it up just past the bite to creep forwards, and then when you can see it's clear, bring it all the way up to move forwards out of the junction, but yes slowly or you'll stall it.

I talk out loud. I think that's slightly more insane than talking in my head. It helps though!
Dopee
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)

I always ended up singing in my lessons If you are relaxed you are less likely to stall than if you are over concentrating.
kitty_koo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
got a driving lesson in 10 minutes :afraid: i'll let you all know how it goes
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i kept hitting the kerb in my lesson yesterday - well 3 times!
kitty_koo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
just got back from my fourth lesson and it went so well i did loads of left and right turns so my steering is a lot better and i went round a roundabout for the first time :proud: although i might have been a bit too close to the roundabout
i did better at the left turn onto a main road- mainly because i didnt have to stop- just slow down there :p: the only crap thing was i had some idiot pull out infront of me and do a three point turn across both lanes :hmmm:
Sammi22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I absolutely, completely, utterly HATE roundabouts. I either sit there for ages, missing loads of gaps, or I go at completely the wrong time. I must have done the same roundabout about 30 times today because I'm so crap at judging when I should and shouldn't go.
Lolly-88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sammi22)
I absolutely, completely, utterly HATE roundabouts. I either sit there for ages, missing loads of gaps, or I go at completely the wrong time. I must have done the same roundabout about 30 times today because I'm so crap at judging when I should and shouldn't go.
That's the same for me too. It doesn't help much that people don't put their bloody signals on...or they're in the wrong lane. :mad:

My lesson was awful today. Everytime i do a manoever the roads all quiet but then as soon as i get into my start position lots of cars turn up :mad: and then I have an audience...it totally puts me off. I've got my test a week today and it's depressing i can't do some simple things like find a gap on a roundabout.

I always get confused about what way to steer when reversing. I have to think about it for a bit and then by the time i've decided what to do I realise i've gone past my point of turn.
Shake 'n Bake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My biggest problem is, I spend more time concentrating on the car rather than looking at road signs, pedestrians. It's so hard to do two or more things at once.
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by beatnik87)
My biggest problem is, I spend more time concentrating on the car rather than looking at road signs, pedestrians. It's so hard to do two or more things at once.
Don't worry! You'll find that with more practice, your field of vision and concentration kind of expands outwards, so soon you'll be operating the controls without even thinking about it, and noticing road markings and other things that are going on more. And soon I reckon I'll be able to take quick glances off the road to do things with the radio, glance at interesting scenery, and stuff like that - but at the moment I'm still concentrating very hard
Pony Jack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Holy cow. I had an evening lesson last night! Did a couple of left reverses in the dusk (best first time left reverses my instructor had seen, better than someone he had just before their test ) Then it got too dark to see my reference points so we did some night driving! Dang those peds and bikes are near invisible! Pretty cool though
Shake 'n Bake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pony Jack)
Holy cow. I had an evening lesson last night! Did a couple of left reverses in the dusk (best first time left reverses my instructor had seen, better than someone he had just before their test ) Then it got too dark to see my reference points so we did some night driving! Dang those peds and bikes are near invisible! Pretty cool though
wow its great you get to practice both in night and day. I think it should be mandatory to drive at night otherwise you could panic when you have actually passed your test.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Got my 2nd automatic lesson in half an hour. Still can't get rid of these nerves, after 28 hours of tuition lol..

ETA; My lesson went really well... though pulled out of a slip road into the path of a car going at 70 and got beeped lol I'm sooo not used to driving auto.. I would've given it some welly in the manual to get my speed up, so need to remember I'm driving an automatic lol. But, I did turn in the road which went fine (the steering locked up, so had to give up on it) but my bay parking went really well - didn't miss the lines at all, and the last one I was smack bang in the middle of the bay. Nice one. Next week I'll be doing some parallel parking and emergency stop. Woot.
Vixen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Has anyone ever cancelled their test? I'm going to cancel mine because i feel totally not ready. I started driving in August and I did a semi-intensive over 2 weeks. After i finished that my instrctor cancelled 4 of my lessons in a row for various reasons and Ive only done two more lesson meaning ive had about 22 hours of lessons. And i'm not a brilliant driver so I think i need more. And I think i need to get into doing it on a regular basis rather than rushing it over a few weeks. My test was for next friday.

I'm worried my instructor will be disappointed in me for not doing it but I know i'm not ready at all Also will she be offended that i'll get another instructor when I go back up to Wales to uni? I'm still going to do the test down here around xmas time. And do you get your fee back?
Lolly-88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have another lesson in an hour. I went out with my friends yesterday and two of them gave me a lift and they drove like lunatics...i seriously thought i was going to die . It's made me so determined to pass my test next week and drive really well in my lessons becuase if they can pass surely i can.

I'm doing big roundabouts today...i'm scared!
Lolly-88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Vixen)
Has anyone ever cancelled their test? I'm going to cancel mine because i feel totally not ready. I started driving in August and I did a semi-intensive over 2 weeks. After i finished that my instrctor cancelled 4 of my lessons in a row for various reasons and Ive only done two more lesson meaning ive had about 22 hours of lessons. And i'm not a brilliant driver so I think i need more. And I think i need to get into doing it on a regular basis rather than rushing it over a few weeks. My test was for next friday.

I'm worried my instructor will be disappointed in me for not doing it but I know i'm not ready at all Also will she be offended that i'll get another instructor when I go back up to Wales to uni? I'm still going to do the test down here around xmas time. And do you get your fee back?
I'm not too sure but i don't think you'll get your fee back if you cancel now. My test is next Tuesday and i remember when i booked it, it said the last day I could cancel my test and get my fee back would be on the 7th of september....so i imagine you wouldn't be able to get yours back.

If you don't feel ready then don't do it...but if you can't get your fee back you might aswell just for the experience. It you're worried about your instructor being offended about getting a new instructor then don't tell her...just say that you can't carry on because you're going to uni.
Vixen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lolly-88)
I'm not too sure but i don't think you'll get your fee back if you cancel now. My test is next Tuesday and i remember when i booked it, it said the last day I could cancel my test and get my fee back would be on the 7th of september....so i imagine you wouldn't be able to get yours back.

If you don't feel ready then don't do it...but if you can't get your fee back you might aswell just for the experience. It you're worried about your instructor being offended about getting a new instructor then don't tell her...just say that you can't carry on because you're going to uni.
Thank you for the reply I just looked on my test confirmation letter thingy and it said if i cancel before the 17th i can get my fee back. I'll double check with them though!

Yeh, ive been debating with myself about whether to do the test or not but i feel like i'm going to do it and just be humiliated. My instructor did a mock test thing yesterday and i failed spectacularly...i still need practice on a lot of things. I dont think my instructor is very good though - she told me never to change from 4th to 2nd but everyone ive asked said you can do it! Can anyone help on that?
Square
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Starting and stopping will eventually just click. At least that's what happened for me.
Impossible princess
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had my third lesson on Monday, was ****. I did turns and junctions again, a roundabout and went up to third gear. Kept messing up when I did the turn off a major road onto a minor road, for some reason I kept braking before/while I turned! I just could'nt remember whether to accelerate or brake when I came to it! Plus I stalled for the first time, I don't remember why!
prettyblueeyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Turned 17 at the end of August and have had two lessons so far. Passed my theory test on Monday (48/50 for the questions, 59/70 for hazard), so at least that's out of the way now. Really enjoying my lessons so far, had only been round a carpark twice with my dad so I knew which pedal was which!

First lesson I just drove round some quiet roads, did a roundabout (a proper one, but fairly quiet), and he let me drive home along some quite busy roads, with traffic and traffic lights etc. Got in to my street and he made me do a reverse parallel park! I wasn't too great at it, basically had no idea what I was meant to be doing!

Second lesson was at almost 8pm, so about half an hour in it was pitch black which was slightly nervy, but fun too. I did the gears for him whilst I was in the passenger seat, using the dual controls and gearstick (weird because I was changing gear with right hand), but this helped me get used to the gears (well 1-3 anyway).
We did a 'journey' as such (rather than going round the same handful of quiet streets as per first lesson), taking in speed humps, traffic lights, a junction on a slight upwards hill and then back home. I did get nicknamed Lewis Hamilton because I was going a bit quick down some streets (about 28 in a 30 zone, but probably could have slowed down a bit). He said my steering is good, but that's the easiest bit for me I think, especially using the push-pull technique. I parallel parked at home again. He said next lesson from now on, I'll be driving off at the start so that's good. I can't wait for my next lesson on Thursday. That will be my 3rd (single) so far, as of next week I'll do two singles a week, hopefully manage to pass by Christmas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads