Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the best wishes everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 majors in total -all observations related.
    1 - Four obvs minors = a major
    2 - Not looking over my shoulder sufficiently when reversing round a corner.
    3 - Not looking in mirrors when changing speed (didn't realise that was a major)

Discounting observations errors, I had 2 minors (gears and emergency stop). Gah. Obviously my observations must have been good enough or something else would have gone wrong!!

I'm now manic about observations though, especially during manouvres. I just hope I don't screw up. Weather forecast is torrential rain - anything special required for that?

(Oh yeah and thanks )

In torrential rain, don't go for the speed limit on tight/twisty roads, and remember to come of the throttle and start braking earlier and more gently.

ReputationRep:
    Don't make any sudden movements with steering, acceleration or braking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    3 - Not looking in mirrors when changing speed (didn't realise that was a major)

Discounting observations errors, I had 2 minors (gears and emergency stop). Gah. Obviously my observations must have been good enough or something else would have gone wrong!!

I'm now manic about observations though, especially during manouvres. I just hope I don't screw up. Weather forecast is torrential rain - anything special required for that?

(Oh yeah and thanks )
    I didn't realise the 3rd was major either! Was it for persistently doing it or just the once!?

Haha no surprise!! My one has a right go at me, failing me on TIR even if it's perfect because of no observation. Don't know about rain, maybe just do it even slower because of the braking distances?

ReputationRep:

(Oh yeah and thanks )

Is the 3rd really a major?

My instructor hasn't told me that! Eek!

ReputationRep:
    I only did it once - don't really see how it's a major... but doesn't really matter I guess, I had the other two anyway

Better luck tomorrow hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys! I know you can all do it!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhh! The date on the 29th has now vanished, so I had to move it back to 6th Jan, 2 weeks (and a day, the day is important!) later than my original one! Hopefully I will be able to move it forward again to 29th/30th later on in the week, but I just realised that I have done nothing since last time so had to move it today really before the deadline. That's my wish to get it done by xmas/start of 2009 gone..... but I might as well wait so I can revise for it properly without being on loads of painkillers and other rubbish!

I only did it once - don't really see how it's a major... but doesn't really matter I guess, I had the other two anyway

That’s strange! Seems harsh… I don't get the whole concept of checking it anyway. I was slowing down at traffic lights and was told to check. What am I supposed to be looking for or do exactly . I guess it’s for a car lol, but every time a car has been there I have stopped exactly the same as if a cars not there? . And it’s not like you are going to run a red light just because there is someone close behind you who could smash into you!!

I can understand it when it’s going from yellow to red as you get there, if there’s a car close behind then you really should continue, but checking it before slowing for lights which have been red for ages seems a bit crazy (and unnatural, like the 5 second thing which nobody does when they pass!). If I remember I'll ask him tomorrow! I always forget things though, then remember as I'm walking off at the end of the lesson!

Good luck tomorrow anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to anyone with a test tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:

maybe he meant when recuding speed. If you suddenly break without looking at your mirrors first thats a deffo major.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone who has their test today/soon!

I have rebooked mine for 29th December, hopefully 2nd time lucky!

ReputationRep:
    2nd test failed. Completely different faults from last time as well. I saw that I'd failed 5 minutes into it, and it just completely put me off.

ReputationRep:
    2nd test failed. Completely different faults from last time as well. I saw that I'd failed 5 minutes into it, and it just completely put me off.
    What went wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Another person being tested pulled in in front of me, indicating all over the shop, so I didn't know what she was doing. I went to overtake - turned out she'd pulled in cos there were cars coming along and parked cars down our side. Major for awareness. Then another for me stupidly pulling out at a junction and not noticing another car coming along (hate myself for that one).

Absolutely no observations minors (entirely what I failed on last time) and both manouvres perfect. GRRR.

It's starting to get me down now. Because before I was like "I am a good driver, I just can't look over my shoulder" but now I'm starting to doubt myself.

ReputationRep:
    aww sorry to hear about your test blueroses, hope you pass next time!

Out of interest when you (those who are learning) are driving along and youve gotta turn off, say your in 4th gear, so you slow down to 3rd hten 2nd before turning or go from 4th to 2nd.
    Because i always go from 4th to 2nd, thats what my instructor teaches me, yet my mum really doesnt get it and thinks im doing it wrong. is anyone else taught like this?
    fair enough i would go down to 3rd if i was in a traffic jam or something and was just slowing down, i mean when i come to turn off or something.
    Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Just got from 4th to 2nd. I think older generations were taught to work down the gears - a lot of my friend's parents tell them to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i thought it was just a more recent thing too, Mum is quite nervy when i drive, i think she thinks i would have better control if i went from 4th to 2nd.. god im not that bad!! haha

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh, never again!!

I actually did ok considering the pain, messed up first RRC though, went soooo wide because I didn't turn it fast enough. Managed the 2nd and 3rd ones ok, messed up the 3rd as it was too far out when I straightened up, but I pulled it back in sharply then straightened up again and it's the best I've done so far :eek:. Was all over the place at gear changes though!

Don't have a lesson Monday now, next one is just the 29th and then another on 5th Jan I think it is, hopefully my stupid shoulder feels better by then, that's why I didn't want Monday even though he suggested it would be ok! Said he noticed me in pain at the first RRC! Suppose when I got into it it wasn't too bad, nowhere near as bad as I thought it would/could be

Aww :console: . After seeing that in the first 5 minutes it is understandable that it put you off!

Don't get down about it, 3rd time lucky!!

(Original post by alexa123)
    aww sorry to hear about your test blueroses, hope you pass next time!

Out of interest when you (those who are learning) are driving along and youve gotta turn off, say your in 4th gear, so you slow down to 3rd hten 2nd before turning or go from 4th to 2nd.
    Because i always go from 4th to 2nd, thats what my instructor teaches me, yet my mum really doesnt get it and thinks im doing it wrong. is anyone else taught like this?
    fair enough i would go down to 3rd if i was in a traffic jam or something and was just slowing down, i mean when i come to turn off or something.
    Hope that makes sense
    I go from 4th to 2nd, the examiners like to see block gear changes and it helps with fuel economy. But yea older people do have a habit of going down through each one

ReputationRep:
    thanks, makes me reassured that im doing it right, not that i didnt have faith in my instructor! My mums like just because it saves on fuel, isnt a good excuse hahaha ah well,i will keep doing it anyways

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.