The Learner driver progression thread Watch

ShadowBronze
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well it's been 14 hours so far and we've covered almost everything I might just beat his client record of 24 hours before passing the test :p:
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
Is your friendly relatively young?
I think that would be better, because parents learnt to drives years ago and it was soo different back then, so lots of my parents hints dont actually help!
Na she's got grown up kids of her own. More of a family friend type person. It's annoying when they were taught different things, like she doesn't like me going from 4th to 2nd, but I always do with the instructor going the same speed on the same read :banghead:

Doesn't like me leaving it in 1st either. She was the one who kept telling me to put it into neutral, my instructor kept telling me not too, only just got out of the hang of it

(Original post by ShadowBronze)
Well it's been 14 hours so far and we've covered almost everything I might just beat his client record of 24 hours before passing the test :p:
Haha, if you feel you are ready then go for it!

I was so surprised mine said I was. If I asked him the record I know he wouldn't tell me until I've passed! I have had 18 already though so not going to beat it, when I'm waiting for test I'll do one 2 hour lesson a week rather than 2 x 1, so even though I drop down to once a week I'll end up going over 25 (pay in batches of 5). I'll be on 19 before I take my theory, Jan is sooooo booked up, I really need to pass this one, there are 5 dates I can do in the entire month and about 6 overall (day before mine has loads of slots)
The Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
It's annoying when they were taught different things, like she doesn't like me going from 4th to 2nd, but I always do with the instructor going the same speed on the same read :banghead:

Doesn't like me leaving it in 1st either. She was the one who kept telling me to put it into neutral, my instructor kept telling me not too, only just got out of the hang of it

You're doing it right. Going from 4th to 2nd is the best way and the way I was taught. Going from 4th to 3rd and then to 2nd is pointless if you're turning into a road.

You're doing it right again keeping it in first. It's probably not her fault that she wants you to keep it in neutral as if you look at pretty much anyone who has passed, when they begin to approach a traffic light or come to a stop they nock it into neutral - I do it too. But when you're learning you should definitely keep it in first as you have to be prepared to set off.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
You're doing it right. Going from 4th to 2nd is the best way and the way I was taught. Going from 4th to 3rd and then to 2nd is pointless if you're turning into a road.

You're doing it right again keeping it in first. It's probably not her fault that she wants you to keep it in neutral as if you look at pretty much anyone who has passed, when they begin to approach a traffic light or come to a stop they nock it into neutral - I do it too. But when you're learning you should definitely keep it in first as you have to be prepared to set off.
Yea it seems pointless and the examiners like the block changes apparently (although they can't fault you for not doing it can they?)

Yea my friend always does it so I did it with my instructor the first few times, but I was doing it too early and coasting which fails the test instantly so he made a big thing of putting it into neutral after I put the handbrake on and only at lights which have a long delay (one set around here are awful so I do there, but other than that I leave it in first or second all the time)

I just want to pass so I don’t have to worry about things like that, which happen all the time but when learning you can’t do.
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mum hates me going from 4th to 2nd, so i go to 3rd just to keep her happy sometimes.
I just had an hour practice with mum and she was suprisingly calm actually, and it went well. Cept she took me to an area she didnt know that well and tried to tell me to go into the car park through the exit hahhaa.
I know i can pass if i just stay calm and keep practicing like i am!
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mum hates me going from 4th to 2nd, so i go to 3rd just to keep her happy sometimes.
I just had an hour practice with mum and she was suprisingly calm actually, and it went well. Cept she took me to an area she didnt know that well and tried to tell me to go into the car park through the exit hahhaa.
I know i can pass if i just stay calm and keep practicing like i am!
Yeah it was taught differently back then, even though it seems pointless going through all the gears.
ShadowBronze
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Haha, if you feel you are ready then go for it!

I was so surprised mine said I was. If I asked him the record I know he wouldn't tell me until I've passed! I have had 18 already though so not going to beat it, when I'm waiting for test I'll do one 2 hour lesson a week rather than 2 x 1, so even though I drop down to once a week I'll end up going over 25 (pay in batches of 5). I'll be on 19 before I take my theory, Jan is sooooo booked up, I really need to pass this one, there are 5 dates I can do in the entire month and about 6 overall (day before mine has loads of slots)
18 hours is till quite low, you still have a chance of beating his record! Yeah I'm planning to book my theory test very soon so I can do my practical by maybe early or mid February.

My dad let me drive his golf to the local shopping centre today, he told me he was amazed how well I drove after having only 14 hours on my logbook
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't mind about records really, I don't mind 50 lessons if I pass before uni!!

Would be nice to pass before my birthday though as the insurance for private practice runs out and don't think it'll get renewed (even if it does, doing a test in June knowing it's my last chance round here is a hell of a lot more pressure than Feb/March!)

Yea I can't believe how much I can do, I thought it would take a lot longer, really need to pass the theory now though :banghead:
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
I don't mind about records really, I don't mind 50 lessons if I pass before uni!!

Would be nice to pass before my birthday though as the insurance for private practice runs out and don't think it'll get renewed (even if it does, doing a test in June knowing it's my last chance round here is a hell of a lot more pressure than Feb/March!)

Yea I can't believe how much I can do, I thought it would take a lot longer, really need to pass the theory now though :banghead:
:ditto:

Will slowly but surely get through it soon...but soon is yet to be determined...
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)

Will slowly but surely get through it soon...but soon is yet to be determined...
Have you taken it yet? Good luck!

Hopefully it won't be as bad as last time, walking down there I nearly fell over on the ice twice!!
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Have you taken it yet? Good luck!

Hopefully it won't be as bad as last time, walking down there I nearly fell over on the ice twice!!
Nop, not taken it yet...leaving it a while...I am getting around 50-60% on mock tests...so got a lot of room for improvement to be made... :o:
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
Got my second test on Monday. Tomorrow I have a two hour lesson to get used to my instructors car again. I don't know if that'll be enough to get me fully confident though. We'll see how it goes.
The Stig
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Goodluck.
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
Goodluck.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just did mock Hazard exam, got exact pass mark lol. Haven't done it for a few days, got so many 0's and 1's. For double hazard I got 5/5 & 0/5 lol. That's where I've been failing in real life though, the double has only got 4/10 both times I think, on the mock when I pass comfortably I get 10/10. If I had got the double hazard right I would have passed both times! :banghead:

(Original post by FXX)
Got my second test on Monday. Tomorrow I have a two hour lesson to get used to my instructors car again. I don't know if that'll be enough to get me fully confident though. We'll see how it goes.
Good luck!
overclocked
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm so scared! Test next week and I keep making silly mistakes in lessons
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
Well I'm pretty much used to my instructors car again. Only thing I did wrong was turn in too tight on the reverse round a corner, but I sorted it on the second go. I have insurance, I have new tyres, I'm getting a new clutch, now all I need is a license :P
markconnelly
Report 9 years ago
I have done 40 lessons since 15th oct and my test is this tuesday I cant wait am so nervous.
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Arrh todays practice with mum was awful, for some reason i didnt look right at the mini roundabout and just went straight on, luckily the car to the right hadnt moved- i dunno what i was thinking really but i always forget about mini roundabouts! graaah must remember :|
and then i paniced about parking coz id messed up before hand. coming home was alrite though.
username156343
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Arrh todays practice with mum was awful, for some reason i didnt look right at the mini roundabout and just went straight on, luckily the car to the right hadnt moved- i dunno what i was thinking really but i always forget about mini roundabouts! graaah must remember :|
and then i paniced about parking coz id messed up before hand. coming home was alrite though.

I do that with one particular mini-roundabout all the time, don't think ive ever stopped at it :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (146)
27.6%
No (383)
72.4%

Watched Threads