The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

bob9001
I'm so scared! Test next week and I keep making silly mistakes in lessons :frown:

I know how that feels.. my test is in 10 days and I've started messing up on even the easiest things.. :frown:
Hey guys.
I've had 2 lessons and I've got my third tomorrow.
Before I started lessons, my Dad had already taught me clutch control and the basics. Last lesson, I was driving at 60mph in 5th gear and going round roundabouts etc. Basically just driving about. My instructor said it was really good for a second lesson.
Do you think I'll be getting onto maneuvers and parking etc soon, because I feel confident when driving and I'm concerned that because I'm ahead of where most people would be after 2 lessons, my instructor will just let me get experience, but that will cost me more lessons, which I can't afford.
Reply 4942
Damn snow! I have a lesson later! Hopefully the snow has gone by then!

FXX
Well I'm pretty much used to my instructors car again. Only thing I did wrong was turn in too tight on the reverse round a corner, but I sorted it on the second go. I have insurance, I have new tyres, I'm getting a new clutch, now all I need is a license :P

Good luck! Hope it's not snowing where you are!
Reply 4943
Zack
Good luck! Hope it's not snowing where you are!

Hah! Yeah right, my test was cancelled because of it, even though the main roads are clear. So now I've got to wait until next Tuesday. Which isn't so bad, but still a pain in the arse because I shifted my hours around at work to accommodate for it...
Still haven't booked my next test... although I should.

Just bought my first car so hopefully I'll get a lot more practising in! :biggrin:
Reply 4945
FXX
Hah! Yeah right, my test was cancelled because of it, even though the main roads are clear. So now I've got to wait until next Tuesday. Which isn't so bad, but still a pain in the arse because I shifted my hours around at work to accommodate for it...

Oh dear! I was thinking some lessons or tests might be cancelled :frown:. That's so annoying! Good luck next Tuesday! :smile:

AwesomelyPsycho
Still haven't booked my next test... although I should.

Just bought my first car so hopefully I'll get a lot more practising in! :biggrin:

Good that you've got a car :smile:. Will you take the test in your new car then?
Zack
Good that you've got a car :smile:. Will you take the test in your new car then?

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Probably not :p:

I haven't even had a proper drive in it yet!
Reply 4947
Arghhh I hate driving!

Just had a lesson and did parallel park again, 4 or 5 of them. I clipped the kerb on 2 of them and one other was just about passable (I thought he was going to stop me like RRC, not expect me to stop myself within 2 car lengths!) and the others were ok.

My stupid arm is annoying me now, he is saying that I am not turning the wheel as fast as he would expect from someone like me, which is probably right, as I was much better at RRC until the other week too!

Oh and I pulled in to let a car come down the road, ended up stalling outside a school! Stalled during parallel park too but that’s because I was stupid enough to take my foot of the clutch while he was explaining something!! I must have been coming up to about 10 lessons since I last stalled until today!

Going onto bay parking on Friday. Hopefully I'll have passed my theory by then so I can tell him! Got 2 lessons left in this batch and I'll need another 5 which would take it up to 25 lessons (although hopefully some of them are test preparation) and about £500 spent so £600 in total, £100 of that has been spent on a theory I haven't even passed yet!!!!!! :banghead:

AwesomelyPsycho
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Probably not :p:

I haven't even had a proper drive in it yet!

lol!

Haha, you'll enjoy it! :smile:
Zack
Arghhh I hate driving!

Just had a lesson and did parallel park again, 4 or 5 of them. I clipped the kerb on 2 of them and one other was just about passable (I thought he was going to stop me like RRC, not expect me to stop myself within 2 car lengths!) and the others were ok.

My stupid arm is annoying me now, he is saying that I am not turning the wheel as fast as he would expect from someone like me, which is probably right, as I was much better at RRC until the other week too!

Oh and I pulled in to let a car come down the road, ended up stalling outside a school! Stalled during parallel park too but that’s because I was stupid enough to take my foot of the clutch while he was explaining something!! I must have been coming up to about 10 lessons since I last stalled until today!

Going onto bay parking on Friday. Hopefully I'll have passed my theory by then so I can tell him! Got 2 lessons left in this batch and I'll need another 5 which would take it up to 25 lessons (although hopefully some of them are test preparation) and about £500 spent so £600 in total, £100 of that has been spent on a theory I haven't even passed yet!!!!!! :banghead:

I've spent like £150 on practical tests. It's really annoying! But you'll get better :smile: It just takes practice!

Zack
lol!

Haha, you'll enjoy it! :smile:

I can't wait!

We're picking it up on Saturday! So I'll go driving then :biggrin:

Just booked my test, so here's hoping I can get over my nerves. I'm a really good driver! I jsut get really nervous :frown:
I am learning to drive

Had roughly 13 lessons so far.....lost my confidence a few lessons ago where i forgot everything...and went back to doing the simple things.

Then thought i need to straighten myself out and stop panicing and now i can move on to do other stuff XD

Still havn't done reversing or parking yet :frown:
shutxyourxeyes
I am learning to drive

Had roughly 13 lessons so far.....lost my confidence a few lessons ago where i forgot everything...and went back to doing the simple things.

Then thought i need to straighten myself out and stop panicing and now i can move on to do other stuff XD

Still havn't done reversing or parking yet :frown:

When i first started i thought i was doing really well then went downhill and for ages i felt i wasnt getting anywhere. Then suddenly it all clicked into place and now i should be ready to take my test- well i hope as ive booked it!
Just keep at it, you will get there- maybe voice your concerns to your instrutor as they may well have planned what you are going to do next. etc.

xx
Reply 4951
AwesomelyPsycho
I've spent like £150 on practical tests. It's really annoying! But you'll get better :smile: It just takes practice!

I can't wait!

We're picking it up on Saturday! So I'll go driving then :biggrin:

Just booked my test, so here's hoping I can get over my nerves. I'm a really good driver! I jsut get really nervous :frown:

My practical tests are going to cost £108 each!!! :banghead:

Haha you'll enjoy it having your own car on Saturday :smile:

When's your test? Good luck, try and think of it as a normal lesson and drive how your normally do and you'll pass :smile:

alexa123
When i first started i thought i was doing really well then went downhill and for ages i felt i wasnt getting anywhere. Then suddenly it all clicked into place and now i should be ready to take my test- well i hope as ive booked it!
Just keep at it, you will get there- maybe voice your concerns to your instrutor as they may well have planned what you are going to do next. etc.

xx

That's the same as me, I kept doing really stupid things wrong after even 11 or 12 lessons and wasn't that good, now it's 18 and I'm ready for a test apparently :eek:.

It is surprising how quick you pick everything up first of all, and then how quickly it just becomes natural. Before it used to be a real chore to change gear and I would try and stay in 2nd for ages if I knew I had to come back down to 2nd again soon, now it's just easy and up to 3rd and 4th, then back down to second again. I still don't like changing gears when I'm trying to do something like avoid parked cars or go round a corner, but now he's making me go from 1st to 2nd on a roundabout!!!

You will get there soon shutxyourxeyes :smile: Just keep going :smile:
alexa123

xx

Yeah he already knows i panic loads XD

Suprises me with what we are doing next ;p
I think I have got to that point where everything has "clicked" into place :smile:
Hopefully I should be ready to do my test in the not too distant future :smile:

How many lessons have you had now?
xxx
shutxyourxeyes
Yeah he already knows i panic loads XD

Suprises me with what we are doing next ;p
I think I have got to that point where everything has "clicked" into place :smile:
Hopefully I should be ready to do my test in the not too distant future :smile:

How many lessons have you had now?
xxx

Oh god dont ask :biggrin: I havent actually been counting, i cant even remember when i started- how bad does that sound!
You see in the holidays i tend to go away to friends etc. so it messed up lessons and i was just going downhill all the time, then i had a 3 week gap and came back and she said i had improved loads which suprised me!
Luckily ive got my own car now, so i can practice more. My test is on 3rd Feb, can and cant wait- would be fab if i passed first time though! :smile:
alexa123
Oh god dont ask :biggrin: I havent actually been counting, i cant even remember when i started- how bad does that sound!
You see in the holidays i tend to go away to friends etc. so it messed up lessons and i was just going downhill all the time, then i had a 3 week gap and came back and she said i had improved loads which suprised me!
Luckily ive got my own car now, so i can practice more. My test is on 3rd Feb, can and cant wait- would be fab if i passed first time though! :smile:

Haha know what you mean, i only knew i had 13 because i have a card that logs all of them :wink:

Allthough i think ive had 12...because i missed the last one because my EMA didn't come through :frown:

I know what you mean about having a big break in it, I had one before and he said I had improved, I was really shocked, he asked if i had been practicing and i hadn't HAHA!

My next one is Wednesday and havn't had one for 3 weeks because of holiday and going to see my friends and boyfriend...

Plus its been icey!!! :eek:

When is your next lesson?
On average do you know how many?
More than 30?
xxx
shutxyourxeyes
Haha know what you mean, i only knew i had 13 because i have a card that logs all of them :wink:

Allthough i think ive had 12...because i missed the last one because my EMA didn't come through :frown:

I know what you mean about having a big break in it, I had one before and he said I had improved, I was really shocked, he asked if i had been practicing and i hadn't HAHA!

My next one is Wednesday and havn't had one for 3 weeks because of holiday and going to see my friends and boyfriend...

Plus its been icey!!! :eek:

When is your next lesson?
On average do you know how many?
More than 30?
xxx

Urm i think ive probably had around 25 ish.. about to go up lots this month mind you!! So il prob end up nearer 35 at the end of it. thats just a guess though- god it seems like a lot.
I too havent had one for ages because of holidays etc. im having 3 hours this week though, just gotta get used to the test routes as ive only moved this way this year so dont know them too well!- graah

There was a massive crash outside my house with 3 air ambulances, 7 police cars and 3 fire engines involved which has made me a little nervous since, but it does remind me to drive safely. Apparently a car was turning left and so the car behind overtook and a car came the other way and smashed head on. I think atleast 3 people are in critical condition in hospital which is sad.
alexa123
Urm i think ive probably had around 25 ish.. about to go up lots this month mind you!! So il prob end up nearer 35 at the end of it. thats just a guess though- god it seems like a lot.
I too havent had one for ages because of holidays etc. im having 3 hours this week though, just gotta get used to the test routes as ive only moved this way this year so dont know them too well!- graah

There was a massive crash outside my house with 3 air ambulances, 7 police cars and 3 fire engines involved which has made me a little nervous since, but it does remind me to drive safely. Apparently a car was turning left and so the car behind overtook and a car came the other way and smashed head on. I think atleast 3 people are in critical condition in hospital which is sad.

Oh right ;p
Just wondered, so your pretty confident with driving now?
What were you like after 13 lessons?
Just wondered if i will pick it up soon, even though am starting to much better than when i was panicking :smile:

I wouldn't worry about that there are loads of car accidents each day, mustn't let it stop you :wink: You just need to be cautious and you will be fine, concentrate on what your doing don't worry about what others are doing, just be aware of whats there :smile:

Advice from my driving instructor :biggrin:
shutxyourxeyes
Oh right ;p
Just wondered, so your pretty confident with driving now?
What were you like after 13 lessons?
Just wondered if i will pick it up soon, even though am starting to much better than when i was panicking :smile:

I wouldn't worry about that there are loads of car accidents each day, mustn't let it stop you :wink: You just need to be cautious and you will be fine, concentrate on what your doing don't worry about what others are doing, just be aware of whats there :smile:

Advice from my driving instructor :biggrin:

Gosh i really cant remember, have you done manouvers? because i felt i wasnt getting anywhere because i didnt do any for ages, infact ive only learnt most of them recently but they arent too bad, just need to practice the next few weeks.
The one thing i would say to you is dont compare yourself to anyone else, we all learn at different rates and in different ways- you will get there in the end!! And also i found when i didnt worry so much and just got on with driving i 1. enjoyed it more and 2. was actually better as my nerves didnt come across in my driving.

And yes you are right about accidents, although i do believe if many people drove more carefully they wouldnt happen, but sadly many people take the "it will never happen to me" approach.

I think this thread is brilliant, its given me so much encouragement, so thanks guys xx
alexa123
Gosh i really cant remember, have you done manouvers? because i felt i wasnt getting anywhere because i didnt do any for ages, infact ive only learnt most of them recently but they arent too bad, just need to practice the next few weeks.
The one thing i would say to you is dont compare yourself to anyone else, we all learn at different rates and in different ways- you will get there in the end!! And also i found when i didnt worry so much and just got on with driving i 1. enjoyed it more and 2. was actually better as my nerves didnt come across in my driving.

And yes you are right about accidents, although i do believe if many people drove more carefully they wouldnt happen, but sadly many people take the "it will never happen to me" approach.

I think this thread is brilliant, its given me so much encouragement, so thanks guys xx

Erm unsure about the maneuvers...what like?
Ive done junctions, roundabouts, main roads and stuff like that :smile:
Moving off & Stopping (obviously a simple one).

I know thats exactly what i was like, you deal with situations better when your not panicking. I just have a tendency to compare myself to others in most things, just wondered because if i get into difficulty after so many lessons, just wonder if it gets better after so many :smile:

This has helped actually talking properly to someone about this :smile:
Thankyou :smile:
xxx
shutxyourxeyes
Erm unsure about the maneuvers...what like?
Ive done junctions, roundabouts, main roads and stuff like that :smile:
Moving off & Stopping (obviously a simple one).

I know thats exactly what i was like, you deal with situations better when your not panicking. I just have a tendency to compare myself to others in most things, just wondered because if i get into difficulty after so many lessons, just wonder if it gets better after so many :smile:

This has helped actually talking properly to someone about this :smile:
Thankyou :smile:
xxx

your welcome, only distracting me from revision = saviour :rolleyes:

Well the manouvers are:
turn in the road
reverse round a corner
parallel park
bay park

dont worry if you havent learnt them, youve still got plenty of time, if im honest i only did the bay park lesson before last and ive booked my test, so it doesnt mean your not getting anywhere if you havent done any of these yet- i havent found they take that long to master, now i just need to practice.

If your unsure of something, ask your instructor- they are there to teach and reassure you. Seriously i just found it all clicked into place one week after weeks and weeks of feeling like i wasnt getting any better, it all just takes time and practice, its just unfortunate it costs a bomb too! :smile:

xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest