The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Well after having the most amazing lesson ever on Monday, todays lesson was absoulte crap, I just couldnt get the foot control right, and some of my decisions were dubious. Stalled twice doing hill starts, I just hate those buggers, mini roundabouts werent so bad. Wanstead is a bitch centre.
My lesson went really well today I aced the parralell park and the turn in the road. :biggrin: I did all the big roadabouts in my area...the worst was a three lane roundabout...so confusing but i manged well. I'm so proud i just hope I can keep it up tomorrow....and for my test.

Vixen
Thank you for the reply :smile: I just looked on my test confirmation letter thingy and it said if i cancel before the 17th i can get my fee back. I'll double check with them though!

Yeh, ive been debating with myself about whether to do the test or not but i feel like i'm going to do it and just be humiliated. My instructor did a mock test thing yesterday and i failed spectacularly...i still need practice on a lot of things. I dont think my instructor is very good though - she told me never to change from 4th to 2nd but everyone ive asked said you can do it! Can anyone help on that?

Of course you can do that. When you're on a fast road you'll obvioulsy be in a high gear and as you approach the junction you'll need to go down from 5th/4th to 1st or 2nd gear. I have no idea what you're instructor is on about. :confused:
Reply 482
Hey
I've had 4 hours with BSM now and I've booked a total of 10 hours before I go back to uni. Thing is I want to still have lessons while I'm at uni. Do you think it's wise to have two instructors? Me thinks no...but a bit of advice won't go amiss. My instructor at home is really nice but he doesn't do lesons on weekends and I'm back home pretty much every weekend so I think I'd want lessons during the week at uni. What do oyu guys think?
Reply 483
i have a lesson at 2-4 today!
should be gooood :smile:
Lilian
i have a lesson at 2-4 today!
should be gooood :smile:

Hope it all goes well! :biggrin:

My lessons seem to be quite peculiar at the moment. One lesson goes fantastically well, while the next goes horribly. Its not that I don't try, I am just nervous! :eek: Any tips as to how I can calm my nerves before a driving lesson?
Reply 485
Try and be as confident as possible(without being cocky obviously) just say to yourself I can do this, eat a piece off fruit like a banana about 45 minutes before for slow release energy and just try and totally relax and believe in yourself! You're in total control of the car and it does what you say!
Lilian
Try and be as confident as possible(without being cocky obviously) just say to yourself I can do this, eat a piece off fruit like a banana about 45 minutes before for slow release energy and just try and totally relax and believe in yourself! You're in total control of the car and it does what you say!

Thanks Lilian! They all sound like excellent ideas! :smile:
Groovy chick

My lessons seem to be quite peculiar at the moment. One lesson goes fantastically well, while the next goes horribly. Its not that I don't try, I am just nervous! :eek: Any tips as to how I can calm my nerves before a driving lesson?

have a drop of whisky that'll calm you down:wink:
Reply 488
also a little recap of what you did in the last few lessons is good to go over in your head I find! also just think logically and think of little rotuines for different thing such as my routine for that in my head automtically is mirrors signal gears turn etc!YOu can do it! :party: #excited#
Reply 489
Lolly-88
Of course you can do that. When you're on a fast road you'll obvioulsy be in a high gear and as you approach the junction you'll need to go down from 5th/4th to 1st or 2nd gear. I have no idea what you're instructor is on about. :confused:

Yeh, thats what I thought. I think it will be definately worthwhile getting another instructor in Wales at uni. My current instructor confuses me quite a lot!
Reply 490
I had the best lesson today. Which is comforting considering my test is tomorrow. We got totally lost, and ended up going this little single-track road, then almost ending up on a motorway, and basically going loads of roads neither of us had been on before. But it's boosted my confidence a lot as I've been having to make quick turns and decisions. We had such a laugh too! I actually love my instructor!

Bring on the test :biggrin:
I have my driving lesson in 40 mins...the really annoying thing is that as soon as I set of driving i always need the toilet regardles of whether i went before i started the lesson. So i have to sit there for 2 hours busting for the loo :s-smilie:. I don't know if it's because i'm nervous but it always happens...and then i can't focus properly. :frown:

I hope i drive well today...i have a mock tomorrow so i need to do well.
Why don't you just pull over at a public toilet/pub then and use the toilet? :confused:

Just had my 5th lessons and did manovers! I got it perfect first time. I'm so chuffed with myself! :biggrin:

I'm still making some silly mistakes. Took a junction, on a hill in 3rd gear at 10mph :redface: but generally it's getting a lot better!
Reply 493
today wasn't that bad but wasn't perfect. It was a happy medium
far from perfect and got a bit to brush up on and perfect before I'll be test standard!
Just got back from my 5th lesson. It was a bit shakey because he went on holidays for 3 weeks so I forgot some basics but I think it went well.

I did right turns (because apparently I tend to position myself left instead of right when I do them =S), roundabouts and also managed to get myself stuck when I drove down a dead end. Fun though. =)
Reply 495
hey sorry to bother you guys, I'm pretty good at driving, never make any big mistakes, just keep on practising anyway for the paralell park when you have to have a straight wheel straight car next to it, first straight car, right what is the easiest way to determine your car is completely straight? sounds so stupid but sometimes I get confused and argh....imagine I did two right to get out my spacemoved next to that car then two turns left and the wheel in the straight start position would make me straight yeah?
Just got back from my 3rd. had a funny few minutes when I kept stalling in my street but other than that fine. Did main roads, main roundabout, then went in to a side street and did my first manoeuvre - turn in the road/3pt turn, which he said went really well for a first and second attempt at it. Then drove home, did another big roundabout and a reverse park when I got home! Steering feels good still, braking much much better today but I still stalled a couple of times when I forget what gear I'm in at lights etc, hopefully that'll get better!
Reply 497
Lilian
hey sorry to bother you guys, I'm pretty good at driving, never make any big mistakes, just keep on practising anyway for the paralell park when you have to have a straight wheel straight car next to it, first straight car, right what is the easiest way to determine your car is completely straight? sounds so stupid but sometimes I get confused and argh....imagine I did two right to get out my spacemoved next to that car then two turns left and the wheel in the straight start position would make me straight yeah?

Do you mean when parking? If you do two right and then two left, your wheels will be straight, but the car will still be at an angle, you need to do more to the left to straighten the car up.

If you mean straightening up before the reversing part of the maneuver, (i.e. becoming parallel with the other car), then doing two and two still won't bring you straight, either. As above, you need to shift a bit more to the left.
Reply 498
understood so I need to look in the distance and see if I'm straight or not yeah? and then then turning of the wheel more will make my wheels straightzors.
Reply 499
You should be able to use your wing mirrors to help you see if you're straight. You can also see if there's an approximate line between the front of your car and the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending