Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah Sheep)
    I haven't had a lesson since I failed my test on the 12th december - I hope it won't be too difficult to get back into the swing of things!
    Have you been practicing without an instructor though..? You may want to get back into the swing of things soon!

ReputationRep:
    Had my first driving lesson in 3 weeks, yesterday.

Was quite good, managed to pick most things up, abit rusty on the junctions apparently....but apart from that.

& oh yeah I oversteered into a road and nearly hit two parked cars in a drive LOL

But yeah hopefull be put in for my test in the not too distant future :p:

ReputationRep:
    I havnt had a lesson for 3 months after my instructor had a heart attack
    Ive finally booked a new instructor for this friday and i am worried that i will hae forgot everything i had learnt.
    I really need to hurry up and pass and had a target of march but this is looking highly unlikley now!
    has anyone bought their cars before passing the test? did it help you pass faster?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, most of my mates bought a car prior to passing, and it deffo helped them, as they were able to have practice without their instructor too, same as having a parents car too, which I dont have the benefit of whilst working away from home, which is partly the reason it's taking longer for me to pass too. But deffo, having access to your own cars helps.

Though I am tempted to do the same, I don't think I can afford it right now. So just gonna wait till I pass and then get one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Don't leave it too late, I found that they were fairly hard to find (around here anyway). Also I know of people who were asked extra questions (not on the list) about maintaining the car given that it was theirs. Nothing too difficult, just things like "Where would you find the information on the correct the pressures for this car?" etc. So don't let them throw you off guard if they throw a couple of those into the mix
    okay thanks very much for that- shall get it this weekend.

oh god i hope the questions arent too hard, because i really dont know a lot about cars!!

ReputationRep:
    "Where would you find the information on the correct the pressures for this car?"

Fixed onto the B pillar behind the drivers door, or in the owners manual.

Even if you get those questions wrong, they can't fail you on that. You'd only get a minor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    "Where would you find the information on the correct the pressures for this car?"

Fixed onto the B pillar behind the drivers door, or in the owners manual.

Even if you get those questions wrong, they can't fail you on that. You'd only get a minor.
    yeah i could have done that question, but im sure theres otehrs that would slip me up.

does anyone know where i can find a set of the stand questions asked?

I dont really wanna get minors for stupid things like the first 2 questions!!

ReputationRep:
    Yay I've booked my test!

ReputationRep:
    Show/Tell Questions

ReputationRep:
    So frustrated!

I was meant to have my first lesson since my last test today (my instructor went away). I'm sitting there for like 35 minutes before evetually calling him... he's stuck in traffic. So I cancelled as I had to be at school within the hour, and my school's like 30 minutes away.

My test is in 3 weeks, but my next lessons will be on Saturday's, so there isn't much time left!

Congrats to all those that have passed, or those who have booked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osamab)
    Show/Tell Questions
    thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    Im on my fifth lesson.... i drive on main roads perfectly since my first lesson the only mistakes i have made is stalled once at a traffic lights ... lol i think im a professional driver now ..... i learnt few maneuvers like 3 point turn parallel parking.... and a few others. i did them all on my first try driving is all about confidence it is really easy to drive which i am happy about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    okay thanks very much for that- shall get it this weekend.

oh god i hope the questions arent too hard, because i really dont know a lot about cars!!
    They won't be all that hard, and tbh I don't think they gave my friends minors for any they got wrong, was just to make them realise that they needed to have some basic car maintainance knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farazdon)
    Im on my fifth lesson.... i drive on main roads perfectly since my first lesson the only mistakes i have made is stalled once at a traffic lights ... lol i think im a professional driver now ..... i learnt few maneuvers like 3 point turn parallel parking.... and a few others. i did them all on my first try driving is all about confidence it is really easy to drive which i am happy about
    Technically driving isn't all that difficult, the thing that is most likely to trip you up will be a lack of road awareness. Be confident, but not cocky. Cockiness could land you in a whole heap of ****, as everything can quite easily go wrong in an instant and you won't have the reactions to deal with it

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I am new posting on this forum so hopefully i'll settle in and tell you about my status in learning how to drive and also supporting and talking to others about their learning progress :p:

So far... I have done 23 hours driving (22 x 1 hour lessons a week, 1 x 2 hour lesson) and i believe i am average on the road... my worst areas are roundabouts and distance (by that i mean middle of the lane, i tend to go nearer to the centre line lol and also judgement of space between me and another car :eek:)

I agree with everyones view on 'how many driving lessons have you had' i think it doesn't matter how many you have had aslong as you feel safe and confident driving then that is all that matters and when you do pass you can carry on feeling and being a confident safe driver :yep:

Just like Zack i have recently passed my theory on the 6th, congratulations Zack on passing your theory and i wish you all the best for your practical test! :cool:

Apologies as there is a lot of posts (and pages) i am trying to follow all the current people trying to learn and hear how they are going so i will try and respond to other people's posts from this message on and may i wish everyone who is learning to drive all the luck with their learning and both driving tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damion87)
    So far... I have done 23 hours driving (22 x 1 hour lessons a week, 1 x 2 hour lesson)
    :hmmmm: I hope your driving is better than your maths, because from where I'm sitting I make (22x1)+(1x2)=24 :p:

But welcome to the thread and good luck with your driving

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I was wondering what is the examiners' policy over touching the curb? I remembered on my test I touched the curb during the parraellel park (not mounting it thank goodness) and got a minor. But my friend apparantly failed for touching the curb during his turn on the road

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damion87)
    Hello everyone

I am new posting on this forum so hopefully i'll settle in and tell you about my status in learning how to drive and also supporting and talking to others about their learning progress :p:

So far... I have done 23 hours driving (22 x 1 hour lessons a week, 1 x 2 hour lesson) and i believe i am average on the road... my worst areas are roundabouts and distance (by that i mean middle of the lane, i tend to go nearer to the centre line lol and also judgement of space between me and another car :eek:)

I agree with everyones view on 'how many driving lessons have you had' i think it doesn't matter how many you have had aslong as you feel safe and confident driving then that is all that matters and when you do pass you can carry on feeling and being a confident safe driver :yep:

Just like Zack i have recently passed my theory on the 6th, congratulations Zack on passing your theory and i wish you all the best for your practical test! :cool:

Apologies as there is a lot of posts (and pages) i am trying to follow all the current people trying to learn and hear how they are going so i will try and respond to other people's posts from this message on and may i wish everyone who is learning to drive all the luck with their learning and both driving tests
    I seem to be taking too long at some roundabouts, don't want to fail for going too slow though! I don't keep to the centre too much, really nervous going past rows of parked cars and stuff

Thanks! Good luck for yours too . What else have you got to learn now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    Hi there, I was wondering what is the examiners' policy over touching the curb? I remembered on my test I touched the curb during the parraellel park (not mounting it thank goodness) and got a minor. But my friend apparantly failed for touching the curb during his turn on the road
    On my test I touched the curb when doing RRC and it was only a minor. I'm sure you only fail if you actually mount the curb, but then again it probably depends what examiner you have too

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha well spotted Alex yes it was a typo should of been 21 x 1 hour lessons thanks for correcting me... i was never good at maths anyway hahaha

Vincente it is weird as i was talking to my instructor about this in my last lesson and she told me you will get a MAJOR for touching the curb on parallel parking during the practical test but i hear that people get minor's so i guess it's at the examiner's discretion depending on how you 'touched' the kerb whether it was lightly or could heavily e.g. Put pedestrians at risk etc :yep:

Zack how fast in mph do you go around a roundabout or anyone else any average as i try to go as fast as i can but get disorientated so easily! hahaha I have learned 5 minutes of each area in different lessons but of course 5 minutes isn’t enough so the ones where i do need to build on is any reversing manoeuvre and personally in my opinion parking/stopping correctly/turning corners better - yes i am harsh on myself but i will improve in time - So Zack what else have you got to learn? When are you hoping to attempt the practical test? :eek: :cool:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.