Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    My 2 hour lesson was cancelled- but gonna have extra lessons next week so not too bad- did go out in my own car though.

As for which car to take your test in- i havent taken my test yet but im taking it in my own car. I would say take it in whichever car you feel more comfortable driving in and feel you drive better in, this is my reason for doing it in my own car.
    Why was it cancelled? How many lessons do you have a week, and for how long?

Hmm, not too sure yet. Do you have to let them know in advance whose car you're taking it in? (The examiners, not instructors, hehe! ) I just really want to pass this time! I love driving in my car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    Why was it cancelled? How many lessons do you have a week, and for how long?

Hmm, not too sure yet. Do you have to let them know in advance whose car you're taking it in? (The examiners, not instructors, hehe! ) I just really want to pass this time! I love driving in my car.

have u booked your next test?!
    There was a number they wanted- i left that section blank as im using my own car. If you do decide to take it in your own car you need an extra rear view mirror for the examiner.

My lesson was cancelled because she was ill, at the moment im having more lesson a week but i usually have 1 hour a week- but im having 3 hours next week, then 2 hours the week after and an hour before my test just to make sure i know the test routes as i dont know the area that well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    Do you have to let them know in advance whose car you're taking it in?
    Nope! You can turn up in whatever you like!

Oh sorry, but there is a list of cars which they will refuse to let you take the test in, for safety concerns. Let me see if i can find it.

Edit: found it - http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=500

This is some good reading too - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...est/DG_4022543

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    have u booked your next test?!
    There was a number they wanted- i left that section blank as im using my own car. If you do decide to take it in your own car you need an extra rear view mirror for the examiner.

My lesson was cancelled because she was ill, at the moment im having more lesson a week but i usually have 1 hour a week- but im having 3 hours next week, then 2 hours the week after and an hour before my test just to make sure i know the test routes as i dont know the area that well.
    Yeps, 31st of Jan

I have a 2 hour lesson a week. But then I'll also be practicing in my own car as well, just to practice my general driving.

Also, how much does the mirror cost?

(Original post by osamab)
    Nope! You can turn up in whatever you like!

Oh sorry, but there is a list of cars which they will refuse to let you take the test in, for safety concerns. Let me see if i can find it.

Edit: found it - http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=500
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think the mirror is about £5, certainly cheaper than borrowing the instructors car for the hour. I much prefer my car because i get used to it when i practice in it, which i do a lot more than the once a week in my instructors. xx

lol, my car is on that list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    lol, my car is on that list
    my instructor's car is on that list :rolleyes:
    i'm hoping she's aware of that. :p: i guess she must be, as she's always saying she's got tests booked.

Being an instructors car, she's probably had the problem fixed :P:

ReputationRep:
    I'll definately talk to my instructor tomorrow about it, considering my car and his car are totally different. However, he'd probably still say his so he could get the money :p:

ReputationRep:
    AAGH test is in an hour and a half soo nervous! Wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck Lawkt!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yusuf.T)
    oh man i remember i stalled 4 times at one point! lol.. it was sooo annoying! he was like ok go.. then i stalled.. and then again and again and again.. was kinda funny tho lol. i think 2mrw im gonna tell my instructor what i wanna go over, i think the main issue is that i havent been speaking up enough, like when he asks if i have any Q's i dont say anything.. 2mrw im gonna tell him what i feel im weak on and what i what to go over more. yeah am revising for my theory every night, as much as i find it dull, i have to do it ehh lol.

hopefully the lesson i have tomorrow will be a slight improvement, but hey, if not then its not the end of the world right
    I think that, what you have said there with regards to speaking up will deffo an factor, that affects the learning progress. IF you dont give feedback and questions as required, you will take that slightly longer time to learn....

ReputationRep:
    ok had another lesson today

MILES better then friday's lesson thank God!

Got off to a rough start, he said i didnt do any of the junctions right etccc and then he did the demo.. it did actually help i think.. and then i went round driving, he said that it was the best driving ive done .. he told me its not my 'driving' thats bad its my preperation, like when I approach a give way, i signal break/clutch down/first gear/twist all too late so we tackled that. I still hate roundabouts with a passion though lol. i did parrrrraaallelelelel parking, i think thats my strongest manouvere (sp).. i need to work on turn in the road and reverse round the corner.

I told him what i thought my weak points were and he said those werent my weak points lol.. like finding the bite/moving off etc.. he said those arent the problem, its just that you dont commit yourself to the car. so when i started 'committing' to the car, my driving was better.

all in all it was a good lesson, crap at first but then slowly slowly it got better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GεεRTHAN)
    Good Luck Lawkt!!!
    Thanks I failed got 8 minors but one serious for turn in the road clipped the curb soo annoyed with myself because that is the manouver that I really wanted and got a route that I really like. Oh well rebooked for a months time!

ReputationRep:
    It’s good that your lesson went well today Yusuf . I would say parallel parking is my strongest one too so far (should have done bay parking this afternoon but got to wait til Wednesday now so won’t know for sure yet!).

(Original post by Lawkt)
    Thanks I failed got 8 minors but one serious for turn in the road clipped the curb soo annoyed with myself because that is the manouver that I really wanted and got a route that I really like. Oh well rebooked for a months time!

Were there any pedestrians around? My instructor said it's just a minor if I clip it but a serious if you mount it . Oh dear, if people are being given serious for it I really am in trouble!

Good luck next month anyway! That’s a good attitude to have, and discounting the serious, 8 minors isn’t that bad, you’ll get there

ReputationRep:
    Note: You can turn using more than three points, hence the name 'turn in the road' and not 'three point turn'. If the road is tight, or you think there's a chance you'll hit the curb, go back a little. You will only get penalised if the road is huge and there more than sufficent space to do it three points.

ReputationRep:
    Failed !

6 minors 1 serious for not 'checking back to the left' after I changed lanes

Absolutely gutted !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawkt)
    so unlucky. i'm sure you'll do better next time! Remember you can do a TIR with 5, or even 7 turns. Better to play it safe in my opinion. And clipping the kerb such an insignificant error, but they make such a big deal out of it. Learning to drive, hardly teaches you anything you really need to know about driving properly. That comes with experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawkt)
    I got a really nice examiner and a really nice route and I got a serious for something I always check

I have mine rebooked for a month, good luck for then

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys and I know about being able to do it in five the one I did just before the test needed 5 I just really thought that I could get round. I will probably do 5 next time even if it doesnt need it lol!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.