Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    ah i hate parallel park too.
    Some days im okay at manouvers, other times i just cant do it- it really annoys me. I hate the RRC but thats probs because im not patient enough, and i always try and do my manouvers too quickly.
    Ah, I used to be like that but I've learned to calm down a bit and just take my time. I just hope I get good ones on the day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rennie)
    Ah, I used to be like that but I've learned to calm down a bit and just take my time. I just hope I get good ones on the day!
    when is your test? im sure you will do fine.

Yes i find when i stay calm i do soo much better than just charging in there trying to get it over and done with because i dislike doing them! :rolleyes:
    Being calm and patient never was a strong point of mine

ReputationRep:
    My next lesson is on Thursday and i cannot wait!

ReputationRep:
    Had hour driving earlier, it's confusing more than anything. With the instructor I'm fine changing lanes but I'm getting moaned at even when I do it exactly the same, grrr!

Got a lesson tomorrow, not ideal as it'll be about 5 minutes after I get back from 6th form rather than the 45min gap I'm used to!

Maybe I'm taking that list too seriously and trying to have perfection and the examiners will make allowances as haven't had much experience etc etc, but I can see so many things which I don't do to what I would say is an acceptable standard. Then again test is 6 weeks away so hopefully I improve….

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Had hour driving earlier, it's confusing more than anything. With the instructor I'm fine changing lanes but I'm getting moaned at even when I do it exactly the same, grrr!

Got a lesson tomorrow, not ideal as it'll be about 5 minutes after I get back from 6th form rather than the 45min gap I'm used to!

Maybe I'm taking that list too seriously and trying to have perfection and the examiners will make allowances as haven't had much experience etc etc, but I can see so many things which I don't do to what I would say is an acceptable standard. Then again test is 6 weeks away so hopefully I improve….
    it sounds like you will be pretty much ready when it comes to taking your test. Mine is in 2 weeks time and im no where near perfect. but oh well, still got quite a few lessons and im determined to get there

ReputationRep:
    when is your test? im sure you will do fine.

Yes i find when i stay calm i do soo much better than just charging in there trying to get it over and done with because i dislike doing them! :rolleyes:
    Being calm and patient never was a strong point of mine
    Mine's on Wednesday (21st).

Aw, well. I'm sure you'll do fine anyway.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like you will be pretty much ready when it comes to taking your test. Mine is in 2 weeks time and im no where near perfect. but oh well, still got quite a few lessons and im determined to get there
    Aww you'll be fine for your test .

I have my 20th tomorrow so will buy another 5 and then another 5 after that I guess, hopefully that'll be enough, but knowing me, probably not :rolleyes:

As it's 2009 moving seems a hell of a lot closer than it did 3 weeks ago, so now it's like a mad rush to pass! I don't want to have a test before I'm ready and fail (lots), but I don't want to delay it and only have 1 or 2 attempts

ReputationRep:
    2 day to go. £106 down the drain. Oh well, this is gonna be a waste of 40 minutes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    2 day to go. £106 down the drain. Oh well, this is gonna be a waste of 40 minutes...
    What are you finding hardest?

Good luck! . And don’t worry about the money, it’s a learning experience, even if you don’t pass

ReputationRep:
    My next lesson is tomorrow, and I've organized another one for Wednesday. Need to stop screwing up so badly whenever I have one.
    I'm actually considering cancelling my test as I have no confidence in myself or my driving, plus I don't even have a vehicle of my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepperoni)
    My next lesson is tomorrow, and I've organized another one for Wednesday. Need to stop screwing up so badly whenever I have one.
    I'm actually considering cancelling my test as I have no confidence in myself or my driving, plus I don't even have a vehicle of my own.
    Just take a deep breath and relax. If you start thinking positively about what you can do, it'll help you panicking.

Even if you don't pass, it's better to have the experience to know what to expect, and the minors show you where you can improve

ReputationRep:
    Booked my test for the 3rd of Feb, which will be after 30hrs of lessons (i've had 20hrs so far). Still got to do reverse round a corner and dual carriage ways and overtaking. Still feels a bit soon tbh, but i'm only 2/3 of the way there. The biggest problem i've got is probably hesitancy at junctions, i'm generally ok on roundabouts but turning on to a main road i find it tricky to judge and usually miss a couple of decent chances before i get out. Out of interest, how often do you guys get stopped from pulling out by your instructor (by applying the brake or perhaps screaming in terror..)? I've only been stopped once in 20hrs so i'm thinking i should maybe take a few more risks and let him stop me if necessary. Any thoughts/tips? Obviously i'd discuss this idea with instructor man first rather than just randomly pulling out sometime..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jose)
    Booked my test for the 3rd of Feb, which will be after 30hrs of lessons (i've had 20hrs so far). Still got to do reverse round a corner and dual carriage ways and overtaking. Still feels a bit soon tbh, but i'm only 2/3 of the way there. The biggest problem i've got is probably hesitancy at junctions, i'm generally ok on roundabouts but turning on to a main road i find it tricky to judge and usually miss a couple of decent chances before i get out. Out of interest, how often do you guys get stopped from pulling out by your instructor (by applying the brake or perhaps screaming in terror..)? I've only been stopped once in 20hrs so i'm thinking i should maybe take a few more risks and let him stop me if necessary. Any thoughts/tips? Obviously i'd discuss this idea with instructor man first rather than just randomly pulling out sometime..

ah same day as my test!
    ive done everything just gotta majorly brush up on my learning! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jose)
    Wow, some people seem to do it really quickly. I'd covered all of the manouevers by the 25th lesson.. but everything on the roads by the 20th at most. I then had a lot of practice until my test which is in 2 days. I suppose it just depends on what your instructor is like.

At a junction I went to pull out early maybe twice but have always stopped myself. My instructor would then say 'stay back, you' and laugh at me. So, I don't think it's a good thing to go when it's not safe and rely on your instructor! Judge it correctly. If you stop yourself I think it's probably better. I think I'd rather be slightly cautious than dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow, by approximately half past 11, I will know my fate... I so want to pass but I just know I won't!

Tomorrow, by approximately half past 11, I will know my fate... I so want to pass but I just know I won't!
    yeah you will :P

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest do examiners expect you to stick to the speed limits as I have a bad habit of doing around 53 in a 60

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    Just out of interest do examiners expect you to stick to the speed limits as I have a bad habit of doing around 53 in a 60
    It shows lack of confidence, and may cause potential danger to other road users which will have to overtake due to your driving. Which will result in a fail. Obviously you're allowed a few times but if you consistently don't do the speed limit it'll result in a fail. I know someone who was failed for driving to slowly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    What are you finding hardest?

Good luck! . And don’t worry about the money, it’s a learning experience, even if you don’t pass
    Everything LOL. Last mock test I failed on RRC (I was around 4ft from the kerb) and also stupidly pulled out on someone (my own fault). I also managed to get 17 minors for: turn in the road road was slanted and got a bit 'stuck' in the camber because I wasn't giving it enough oomph, so it wouldn't reverse back on the first few attempts), gear control, 3 minors for not looking in my left mirror when signalling, not looking when changing direction, not looking in rear mirror when changing speed (basically I slowed from about 50-30 but didn't look in my rear view), 2 for signalling when necessary (basically I got confused and turned left with no signal, the other one I don't know when I did it), 2 for signalling correctly (signalled wrong direction), clearance of obstructions, use of speed (went over a few times a tiny bit), 2 for undue hesitation, observation at junctions, positioning for normal driving....

Wow thats a long list. Also this exact number, 2 serious and 17 minor is exactly what I got in my last mock test, for pretty much the same things. And despite doing my absolute best at correcting them it seems I'm still not good enough...

Thats what annoys me about the driving test. You have to be so perfect and there are so many things you can do wrong. I think it should be tested that you get marked down for what you do wrong but marked up for what you do right too. There are lots of little things you do as a driver that aren't necessary but are good but you don't get anything for that.....

(Original post by The Stig)
    It shows lack of confidence, and may cause potential danger to other road users which will have to overtake due to your driving. Which will result in a fail. Obviously you're allowed a few times but if you consistently don't do the speed limit it'll result in a fail. I know someone who was failed for driving to slowly.
    Doesn't it also rely on road type? I mean, near me there are loads of 60mph roads, really wiggly leafy ones, some only big enough for 1 car.... I regularly drive to work and if it has been damp that road is a death trap (infact a girl I went to school with was killed on that road). I always drive about 50.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who failed for going slowly, and someone who failed because he hadn't slowed down by the time he entered the lower speed limit (something I need to watch!).

As long as you are within 5mph of the speed limit (under of course) then they shouldn't have a problem, should they!?

Bay park today was interesting.... did a few, got a fluky one perfect but other than that they weren't straight or anything, even though he reckons I would have passed them all.... Did 1 in PC World where I hard to do the "forward movement" but it was ok.

Next lesson he's going to do a mock test on each of the manoeuvres and wants me to get 2/4. If I don't do the turn in the road and parallel park ok then I won't have any confidence, they're the 2 I want in the test. He says oh you have only just started bay parking so can't say you can't do it, it only took 1 lesson to do parallel park but bay park I've had 2 and don't feel comfortable with it (to the extent that if I get that or reverse round corner I'll probably fail).

Annoying thing is sometimes at this test centre they ask you to do a bay park first, so if you mess that up you know you've failed before you've even got going!

You will!!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.