The Learner driver progression thread Watch

FXX
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)
People got any tips with the Hazard Perception side of things..?

Practice on the DSA (or similar, I used AA) DVD and you'll be over-prepared for it since the practice videos are much more difficult to score on.

When you see a hazard, click once, wait a second, then click again to make sure you didn't get it too early. Just don't get into a rhythm as it'll detect it and you'll score zero for that video.

One of the clips will have two hazards, but you don't know which one so you'll need to be paying attention at all times - you can't just click on a hazard and then have a break while the clip ends thinking there won't be another.

Practice is the easiest way to pass first time though.
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have had a few go on a few website, and there is always a clip that I score a 0 in, and always a clip that I seem to click too much in...oops!
k823127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had 3rd lesson today and did left turns...i think i've never been more scared at the start of something in my life..but got better by the end and gear transitions are getting smoother. Even if i do 'fight' with the gearstick. oops.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hate driving!! :mad:

Stupid mock test :banghead:. Started with turn in the road and stalled on the second phase of it going up a hill. That set the tone for the day really. I did manage to pass that one in the end. Messed up parrellel park and totally screwed up bay park and reverse round corner :mad:

Apparently I didn't do too bad and "now it's a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's for the test". Well if I go for a test doing that I would fail without doubt :mad:
Cy4nide
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rennie)
The time for the multiple choice is separate from the hazard perception, yeah. However, I can't imagine it would matter. I did my multiple choice in about 15 minutes. I feel they give rather too much time for it.

The hazard perception clips are about a minute or so, so I'd say maybe about 20 minutes?
(Original post by Zack)
Yea as Rennie said you really can get the whole thing done within an hour anyway (I had plenty of practice!! :p:). I got the multiple choice done in about 10/15 mins each time, 57 mins seems crazy. You have to watch this stupidly long intro before the hazard section which takes about 5 mins on it's own, and you can have a 3 min break in between the multiple choice and hazard sections so the second bit is about 20/25 mins, plus you can answer some DSA practice questions at the end if you want to which takes another few mins

Good luck, have you booked it yet?
That's what I thought, I normally get my multiple choice done in about 15mins too so I'm glad other people do aswell and it's not me rushing things lol!

I got paid today so now I can keep checking for dates that are suitable and maybe book it this week, I was asking because Mum will be with me and I don't want to keep her waiting for ages lol she can go and have a coffee or something while I'm in there :p:
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cy4nide)
That's what I thought, I normally get my multiple choice done in about 15mins too so I'm glad other people do aswell and it's not me rushing things lol!

I got paid today so now I can keep checking for dates that are suitable and maybe book it this week, I was asking because Mum will be with me and I don't want to keep her waiting for ages lol she can go and have a coffee or something while I'm in there :p:
You have to be there about 15mins before, so say your appointment is 1:45, be there at 1:30 and you'll probably be out by about 2:30/2:45 anyway as it’s your first time you’ll need to read the info etc so it’ll be longer than my last one. They often, especially in Bath where there are something like 20 computers and often free spaces, they let you in as soon as you have checked in and put your stuff away so you start before your appointment time really.

Yea, just so you know she won't be allowed in the waiting area so she will have to be fairly accurate with her timings rather than just a 45min coffee and waiting for you for 10/20mins because they wouldn’t let her
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
You have to be there about 15mins before, so say your appointment is 1:45, be there at 1:30 and you'll probably be out by about 2:30/2:45 anyway as it’s your first time you’ll need to read the info etc so it’ll be longer than my last one. They often, especially in Bath where there are something like 20 computers and often free spaces, they let you in as soon as you have checked in and put your stuff away so you start before your appointment time really.

Yea, just so you know she won't be allowed in the waiting area so she will have to be fairly accurate with her timings rather than just a 45min coffee and waiting for you for 10/20mins because they wouldn’t let her
When I went for my UKCAT (which is at the same place as the theory), my dad was allowed to wait in the waiting area the whole time. I went for my theory on my own, though.

I also got to my theory half an hour early and they let me in 'cause someone didn't turn up. I was placed between two people who kept getting really confused and talking because they didn't understand the test (I was thinking that they really shouldn't be driving then). I didn't take the 3 minute break, it seemed silly... and I just wanted to escape the people on either side of me. They were both there before me and I left before them. Even when I had finished getting my stuff out of the locker and got my results, they still weren't out.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I went for my UKCAT (which is at the same place as the theory), my dad was allowed to wait in the waiting area the whole time. I went for my theory on my own, though.
I thought it was national, at Bath they have loads of DSA signs up saying waiting area is for candidates only and stuff. Must depend on the centre then, they just stuck some DSA logos on so they don’t get moaned at!
Cy4nide
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
She'll find something to do, we're redecorating a couple rooms so I'm sure there's a couple bits she'll want to go and get lol I'll say we can meet up somewhere after an hour or something
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
I thought it was national, at Bath they have loads of DSA signs up saying waiting area is for candidates only and stuff. Must depend on the centre then, they just stuck some DSA logos on so they don’t get moaned at!
I suppose my UKCAT wasn't for the DSA so... I don't know really. I don't recall seeing any signs but for neither test did I actually sit down. I was early for both and they just let me in.

For my UKCAT I even got a room to myself. I felt very special. And the guy at the desk is always jolly and makes jokes (well, he did the two times I went in there).
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
She'll find something to do, we're redecorating a couple rooms so I'm sure there's a couple bits she'll want to go and get lol I'll say we can meet up somewhere after an hour or something
Haha, sounds like a good plan!

I suppose my UKCAT wasn't for the DSA so... I don't know really. I don't recall seeing any signs but for neither test did I actually sit down. I was early for both and they just let me in.

For my UKCAT I even got a room to myself. I felt very special. And the guy at the desk is always jolly and makes jokes (well, he did the two times I went in there).
Yea it's the Pearson centres though, I did think at the time it was harsh not allowing people to wait inside though, especially in the winter!

Haha, that must be soooo strange having a room to yourself!!
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Haha, that must be soooo strange having a room to yourself!!
It was. I didn't know if I was allowed to close the door or not so I left it open but then I could hear people outside in the main bit coughing and it was distracting me.

I liked it, though, because it did mean that if people left it didn't really bother me and I could focus more on the test. Still didn't do too well, though, unfortunately- except on the bit that I guessed!
LooieENG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I got there 20 minutes earlier than my booking (got to Leeds for an hour before because I didn't know where the place was :o:), and he told me to just go ahead and take the test instead of waiting. Took about 30 minutes
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well had my first drive in my own car today and it was so much harder than my instructors, i havnt stalled once in instructors but in my own it seems to be much easier to stall. Maybe because its a smaller engine and petrol?
I will just have to get used to it i suppose!
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
for the actual practical test do you have to get there 15 mins early too??

Zack, when is your test?? i wouldnt worry too much about mock, i havent had one yet but have driven around and practiced manouvers with my instructor, my TIR went perfecto, but im still really bad at the rest and ive got just over a week to go- arrh! gonna have to practice lots this weekend!!
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by madeyoulook)
Well had my first drive in my own car today and it was so much harder than my instructors, i havnt stalled once in instructors but in my own it seems to be much easier to stall. Maybe because its a smaller engine and petrol?
I will just have to get used to it i suppose!
Is your instructors a diesel? because my own car is a diesel and my instructor has the same but in petrol and i always stall her car here and there when i practice in it because on mine i can roll away on the clutch with no gas and i cant do that on my instructors. You will get the hang of it though, dont worry!
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
Is your instructors a diesel? because my own car is a diesel and my instructor has the same but in petrol and i always stall her car here and there when i practice in it because on mine i can roll away on the clutch with no gas and i cant do that on my instructors. You will get the hang of it though, dont worry!
I have the same thing, but the other way around. My instructor's car is a diesel and I can roll away on the clutch with no gas, yet mine's a petrol and I have to set gas when I roll away, or I stall.
RedKitty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got my test on monday....AAAH!

I feel prepared, and I know I can pass, its just what may happen on the day I'm worried about
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
for the actual practical test do you have to get there 15 mins early too??

Zack, when is your test?? i wouldnt worry too much about mock, i havent had one yet but have driven around and practiced manouvers with my instructor, my TIR went perfecto, but im still really bad at the rest and ive got just over a week to go- arrh! gonna have to practice lots this weekend!!
I think you have to yes, not sure though, it should say when you book it

I haven't booked it yet, but he keeps making it sound as if I'm ok, but I'm really not!

Good that your TIR went well, good luck for your test . Lots of practice will be key
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RedKitty)
Got my test on monday....AAAH!

I feel prepared, and I know I can pass, its just what may happen on the day I'm worried about
Try and stay calm. I know it's not easy, trust me! But worrying totally doesn't help anything!

If you know you can pass then I know you can pass. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.52%
No (740)
72.48%

Watched Threads