The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5460
itzme
I know I do but I really can't change! because he's the cheapest around (well I am running out of money). Sometimes, I see him pressing teh clutch down and also the footbrake. I swear I am supposed to be the only one who is driving????????? I also feel like he holds me back:today there was a lorry that was collecting rubbish and I saw that I could overtake, but then he told me to stay behind (the road was clear!!!!!!!). We were stuck 2 mins behind and when I went like like 'I could have overtaken", he shouted at me and said: 'ONLY OVERTAKE WHEN UR VIERW AHEAD IS CLEAR!" no matter how many times I told him my view ahead was perfectly clear and I missed the opportunity to overtake, he just wouldn't have it!!!!!!
I see this kinda of things happening all the time: I can take the initiative when I see somethin in the road, but he alsways acts like I am always wrong and he is always right!
He says nasty comments to me, then whn I get angry and shout at him, he;'s like 'ur are oversensitive' and 'u don't get jokes'!!!!!!!!!!! What's funny in making ppl feel uncomfortable with unplaisant comments????????????????????????
HE'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Wow, that sounds really harsh. My instructor never once made me stop for him to go and do anything and he'd never shout at me. Although, equally, I'd never shout at him. We tend to just joke and sometimes he'd say 'ah, I have this really scary learner...' about me.

Earlier on my instructor used to always seem to help me out with the clutch and stuff and it bugged me a bit but he eventually just stopped doing it. He'd always keep his foot on it after I'd put it down so that I wouldn't pull it up again too quickly.

With the overtaking thing- if you didn't need to overtake then I wouldn't worry. I had great issues with bin men on the lesson before my test the other day. I'd sat behind a lorry that was parked up, the rubbish truck were coming up the other side... I couldn't see past the lorry. The rubbish collector men then made me move so I was behind the lorry so they could get round the road I'd just come from. Then one of the men in the street decided to direct me because, in my new position, I couldn't see round the parked lorry. He told me to go, my instructor then thought he said stop so he made me stop. Then the guy was waving at us so we went. It was really disasterous. Sometimes instructors get things wrong.

I then had issues when a bus broke down in a really tight road so I had to do turn in the road to get out and people behind me got really angry even though I had nowhere to go. They all just drove on the pavement to get round it- but obviously I couldn't do that. I had probably the hardest lesson I'd ever had before my test. My test was far easier with no horrid situations (except for a school at home time. Lots of kids, lots of scary mothers in cars... but I dealt with all of that perfectly fine... shame about my mistake later that failed me really).

Anyway... I digressed a bit there. Essentially, if you think your instructor's not any good then you really should think about changing. One of my friends had that problem with his- he'd paid loads and the guy was horrid. He just left him in the end and found someone else.

My advice would have been not to book block lessons or anything and to try out an instructor for a few lessons before you decide to stick with them. I never personally booked block lessons, but I get on with my instructor really well anyway. We have a similar sense of humour (except he's slightly immature :p: )

Perhaps yours just has that sort of personality where he tends to make jokes a lot and your personalities just clash? I know some people say they don't think they'd get on with my instructor. I don't suppose you're getting very far if you both aren't really compatible and just find yourselves shouting at each other.

Is he with a company where they have more than one instructor so you could switch?
Reply 5461
any recommendations then? maybe the bsm? or AA? yes, I am also fed up of block bookings!!!!!!!!!11
Reply 5462
itzme
any recommendations then? maybe the bsm? or AA? yes, I am also fed up of block bookings!!!!!!!!!11

Ask your friends who they have used in your area. Around here BSM/AA etc seem more expensive than individuals, so no don't go with them unless you can't find someone else suitable (I'm sure you can if you're in London!!)
Reply 5463
my sister got someone like my instructor! she changed as well, but the woman was not any better! are we cursed in my family or what? or are local and private comapnies really bad????
Reply 5464
Well, I went with a local company just because they were cheaper than BSM or AA. However, at least with a company like that you can switch instructors if they have more than one in your area. They also tend to be quite reliable I think.

We have three or four local driving schools where they have a range of different instructors. Have a hunt around and see which one has the best prices etc. Don't just go with BSM or AA for their name. You might get a better deal and just as good of an instructor from a local company. The company I went with do a lot of deals but I didn't actually have any of them. I just went with them because I'd see their cars around a lot (they are a very large company that has spread from my town out to about 40 or so miles away) and knew their name. They also said they were good with nervous drivers (of which I wasn't one but I thought that meant they'd be nice).

You'll need to talk to the people- maybe explain that you've had a bad situation before and you'll want someone best suited for you. They'll do what they can to help you, I believe. I took the 'I'll have whoever' approach but obviously you might not want to do that.

Good luck.
Reply 5465
Thanks Rennie, i'll have a female driving instructor actually simply because i heard they are more patient! i thought older men would as well, but the one i have now could be my grandfther!!!!
Reply 5466
itzme
Thanks Rennie, i'll have a female driving instructor actually simply because i heard they are more patient! i thought older men would as well, but the one i have now could be my grandfther!!!!

Aww, well, okay then. If you're big on the idea of a female instructor, one of my friends learns from Kan Kan (if you're female, that is). They may have an instructor in your area...

Otherwise, most companies have female instructors I believe.

My instructor's a guy but he's only mid 20s ish. I don't know if I'd have gotten on with someone that was too old because he might be like my grandfather who can get a bit stressed and wouldn't maybe be very patient. I knew I didn't want a female though... I just don't think it would have worked for me. I get on with males better.
ok so ive come to the conclusion

Im not a manual driver.

Granted i havent had a lesson in a week due to my instructor being busy etc but i had a lesson last friday and he told me.. 'Yusuf, you're driving is fine.. speed is okay.. but your gears/clutch control are really REALLY poor'

I've had about say 30+ lessons already now.. all an hour and a half long and like in wanna continue to drive and everything, but its the damn gear/clutch issue. i mean ive tried tackling it, i really have.. ive even told him to do half a lesson on clutch and gears etcc and still no improvement.

Im 98% sure im going to switch to auto.. yeah it may seem like im running away from the problem but in the situation im in.. i need to learn how to drive QUICK.. i need it done and dusted by april the latest. If later in life i need to learn manual then so be it, but for right now i just need to drive.. and the quickest way is to go with auto.

My cousin had the same problem.. she spent a year learning how to drive on manual.. then i saw her in november and she was telling me shes going auto now, she had problems with the gears and clutch too. She told me she'd had around a months worth of lessons already.. 2 days later she passed her test. I was like ehh? that quick?! she told me that she knew how to drive... it was just the gears/clutch that held her back.. she thought to herself, **** it, i know i can drive now let me just remove the one thing thats holding me back.. and so she did.. and now she has a car.

I mean in all honesty, as long as a car gets you from a to b it doesnt matter what transmission you have.
Yusuf.T

Im not a manual driver.

Granted i havent had a lesson in a week due to my instructor being busy etc but i had a lesson last friday and he told me.. 'Yusuf, you're driving is fine.. speed is okay.. but your gears/clutch control are really REALLY poor'

I've had about say 30+ lessons already now.. all an hour and a half long and like in wanna continue to drive and everything, but its the damn gear/clutch issue. i mean ive tried tackling it, i really have.. ive even told him to do half a lesson on clutch and gears etcc and still no improvement.

Im 98% sure im going to switch to auto.. yeah it may seem like im running away from the problem but in the situation im in.. i need to learn how to drive QUICK.. i need it done and dusted by april the latest. If later in life i need to learn manual then so be it, but for right now i just need to drive.. and the quickest way is to go with auto.

My cousin had the same problem.. she spent a year learning how to drive on manual.. then i saw her in november and she was telling me shes going auto now, she had problems with the gears and clutch too. She told me she'd had around a months worth of lessons already.. 2 days later she passed her test. I was like ehh? that quick?! she told me that she knew how to drive... it was just the gears/clutch that held her back.. she thought to herself, **** it, i know i can drive now let me just remove the one thing thats holding me back.. and so she did.. and now she has a car.

I mean in all honesty, as long as a car gets you from a to b it doesnt matter what transmission you have.

What about a semi-auto mate? or an auto with a manual mode?
Don't no much about these transmissions though.
Reply 5469
Yusuf.T

Im not a manual driver.

Manuals are more economical, but I guess being able to drive the car is more important.
Yusuf.T

Im not a manual driver.

the gears and clutch is probably just under half of learning to drive, so with some people its gonna take a while to master it, i dont really think half a lesson just concentrating on thats really enough- but i can see why your fed up if you've had 30 lessons and arent getting anywhere, have you spoken to your instructor about how to try and improve it.
The only thing with getting auto is your limiting yourself really, etc, but at the end of the day its your choice and if your happy doing that then do it :smile:

I always struggled a bit with gear changes etc. especially moving off, but only in my instructors car, i find it okay in my own. I still stall my instructors car quite a lot, good job im doing the test in my own car.
Also try a different car= different clutch.
If i want to i can pull away on just the clutch in my tdi
Reply 5472
alexa123
the gears and clutch is probably just under half of learning to drive, so with some people its gonna take a while to master it, i dont really think half a lesson just concentrating on thats really enough- but i can see why your fed up if you've had 30 lessons and arent getting anywhere, have you spoken to your instructor about how to try and improve it.
The only thing with getting auto is your limiting yourself really, etc, but at the end of the day its your choice and if your happy doing that then do it :smile:

I always struggled a bit with gear changes etc. especially moving off, but only in my instructors car, i find it okay in my own. I still stall my instructors car quite a lot, good job im doing the test in my own car.

I think sometimes it can just depend on the car.

I wouldn't have wanted to go automatic because it limited me... but if someone is having real problems with manual and they're in a hurry to pass then I agree with you, they should do it. It is their choice, as you said. :biggrin:
Rennie
I think sometimes it can just depend on the car.

I wouldn't have wanted to go automatic because it limited me... but if someone is having real problems with manual and they're in a hurry to pass then I agree with you, they should do it. It is their choice, as you said. :biggrin:

Yeah i think it can depend on the car, although i was doing so much better- although not perfect on clutch control in my instructors can until i got my own. Luckily you can take the test in whichever car you prefer- thank god :smile:
I have had like 33 hours of lessons now, and my 1st->2nd gear change still needs a lot of improving, whereas my other ones are better!

Had a bit of panic moment during my manouvre practice, with a car waiting in front and behind - so kinda went wild on the clutch side and was a bit quick coming back, which resulted in too much steering, etc, etc.

Just thought I would have a rant! :o: :frown:
Mattgeezer
What about a semi-auto mate? or an auto with a manual mode?
Don't no much about these transmissions though.

Yeah ma mates have been telling me about those.. im just thinking if its possible to learn on one of those lol

ma dad, he drove manual all his life, and then a few years back he bought an auto merc benz and he said to me 'Yusuf, i enjoy driving SO much more now b/c of auto' i mean he was good driving in manual but after using auto for so long now he somewhat hates manual.. hes having to drive his wifes manual rover cos his car battery is messed up and i can see it in him.. he HATES driving it but he has to use it for work etc.. i was watching his drive last month and i could see it in his face he was getting vexed lol
Dan?
Manuals are more economical, but I guess being able to drive the car is more important.

yeah ive known about them being more econmical since i was a kid lol. But im at that point now where im like ' i want to DRIVE' i dont care if its in manual/automatic or in a bloody rickshaw i wannnananananaanannana drive!!!
My sister keeps telling me that no one will knw what transmission you'll be driving until they get in the car and even then you shouldnt care what other people think of what transmisson you're driving. a car is a car.
alexa123

Yeah i mean i do tell my instructor like every other lesson i wanna improve on XYZ for anything else.. his logic is that if i just continue with the syllabus (sp?) then all my weak parts will improve over time.. which i understand and have seen happen.. in like my steering and stuff.. but i told him 'IM A SLOW LEARNER WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING' it took me a while to accept that but i told him and he was like 'yeah i guess you're right i guess its just that i get impatient and expect people to pick it up quickly'.
I've asked him many times i want to improve it and hes like those are you're weak point.. BUT I KNOW THEY ARE because even 30+ lessons in.. im still crapping it when i have to take off or go on roundabouts etc.

Hes a nice guy don't get me wrong, hes helped me A LOT but i think its more so the manual thing then my instructor. Yeah i get that ill be limiting myself my mates at work have been telling me that aswell.. i mean yeah ill be limiting myself, but Im not really fussed about that, as long as im driving im happy.. if later in life i want to learn manual then so be it, yeah it will mean another test and more money etc.. but hopefully i wont be still working at a supermarket earning minimum wage and money wont be an issue lol. Plus its my confidence, i believe that driving auto would help me become a confident driver as whats letting me down is the clutch etc. and so maybe one day if i do learn manual ill be a much confident driver anyway and won't see it as duanting or anything. :smile:
Automatics are not as bad as people make out. Modern automatics are excellent, and you also get trip-tonic and semi autos. However they are only good (mostly) in bigger, premium cars such as BMWs, Audis, Mercs etc. If you're young, and you'll most probably be driving Corsa's and Fiesta's etc I really can't see the auto being brilliant, nor can I see the drive being great.
Yusuf.T
Yeah ma mates have been telling me about those.. im just thinking if its possible to learn on one of those lol

ma dad, he drove manual all his life, and then a few years back he bought an auto merc benz and he said to me 'Yusuf, i enjoy driving SO much more now b/c of auto' i mean he was good driving in manual but after using auto for so long now he somewhat hates manual.. hes having to drive his wifes manual rover cos his car battery is messed up and i can see it in him.. he HATES driving it but he has to use it for work etc.. i was watching his drive last month and i could see it in his face he was getting vexed lol

That's due to age more than anything else. Ask anyone who's quite young <35 and they will definitely want an manual in most cases. Alot more fun to drive, you have more control and it adds to the overall enjoyment. As you get older, you just want a relaxed, comfortable drive = autos.

Quick Reply

Latest