The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Groovy chick
Well done Lolly, and good luck GoldenBoots! :smile:

Whey hey! :biggrin:

I'm still alive, :cool:

Anyhow I done quite a bit today, reversing into a bay, roundabouts, 4th,5th and 6th gear and 70 on a dual carriageway.

I don't have my 9th and 10th lesson until October 3rd but he said that when we go out again he's going to make me do a 3 point turn in the road, continue practicing roundabouts and a bit more reversing.

Looking forward to it. I asked about how do I book a theory test and he said I can do that online, not sure how easy that is though? :confused:
Reply 561
it's easy as 1 2 3 :smile:
Reply 562
Lilian
it's easy as 1 2 3 :smile:

I'm sure, I'll get there soon, hopefully :redface:

I just want to get this theory exam passed and out of the way first :eek: :frown:
Reply 563
GoldenBoots
I'm sure, I'll get there soon, hopefully :redface:

I just want to get this theory exam passed and out of the way first :eek: :frown:

Yeah I was talking about the theory test booking,it's easy as 1,2,3 of if you're not the numerical type A B C :smile:
Reply 564
Argh I'v just had my 20th lesson and I'm still stalling. It's extremely annoying :frown: My footwork needs a bit more work as does my steering. I never know how to judge where I am in the road:frown:
Reply 565
petrol or diesel dude ;console;?
suneilr
I never know how to judge where I am in the road:frown:

can u not line up a point of the car with the white line on the passanger side such as on a fiesta i use the washer jet (nick named darthvada).
Reply 567
Its petrol.
I can keep to within my side of the road, but my instructor wants me 1 metre from the kurb all the time which is what I have problems with. Hopefully practice will make perfect:frown:
Reply 568
Lilian
Yeah I was talking about the theory test booking,it's easy as 1,2,3 of if you're not the numerical type A B C :smile:

Numerical type, not me :p:
First off congrats to Lolly on passing. Well done! :biggrin:

I had a lesson on Monday, and have to say, I was annoyed with myself

Points of concern for me

-I was in fourth gear, and tried to turn into a junction. So, I slowed down, I THOUGHT I'd put it into 2nd, made the turn then car started to stutter, then my instructor tells me its still in fourth, then the car stalls with 2-3 cars behind. So embarrasing and annoying! Im still having problems doing it, so when you are in a higher gear, It's slow down, then change gear down, take the foot off the clutch, brake slowly then turn into the road?

-My instructor braking was harsh also, which it probably was. So I need to gently brake. On the talk of my instructor, he's a big fella in size, and yeah he teaches me what I need to do but IMO, he's not as friendly as my other instructor who I had about 2-3 years ago. He was much friendlier and talkative but the problem with him was the price he charged and whether he was holding me back abit, Im not too sure. Price he charges is £17, whilst currently Im paying £16. But i dont feel like changing instructors when Ive just started.

I seem to have one good lesson, then another bad one.
Aky786UK

I seem to have one good lesson, then another bad one.

Its often like this for me too.

Just try to relax and take it easy. I have found that my driving has improved since I am less nervous now.

I hope your next lesson goes better. :smile:
does anyone else have, or have had, problems with moving the car off at traffic lights? Im my last lesson i was the front of the queue at some traffic lights (at quite a busy junction :eek:) and i kept doing the kangaroo jump when trying to move :redface: it was so embarrasing and annoying. But what im confused about is, isnt it basically the same procedure/actions as when im starting the car and just simply moving off? i can do it fine then, without any kangaroo jumps, but at traffic lights it turns into a disaster :redface:
Reply 572
kitty_koo
does anyone else have, or have had, problems with moving the car off at traffic lights? Im my last lesson i was the front of the queue at some traffic lights (at quite a busy junction :eek:) and i kept doing the kangaroo jump when trying to move :redface: it was so embarrasing and annoying. But what im confused about is, isnt it basically the same procedure/actions as when im starting the car and just simply moving off? i can do it fine then, without any kangaroo jumps, but at traffic lights it turns into a disaster :redface:

it's exactly the same procedure, dont worry I used to stall and kangaroo jump ALL the time at traffic lights/sometimes at junctions try and relax!:hugs:
Reply 573
suneilr
Its petrol.
I can keep to within my side of the road, but my instructor wants me 1 metre from the kurb all the time which is what I have problems with. Hopefully practice will make perfect:frown:

I used to have real problems with position too, my instructor used to tell me to keep the curb in the middle of the windscreen wipers for a good position if that makes any sense.
Reply 574
getting a bit down about driivng really need to just pass so I can drive myself to colleg eits such a pain in the ****ing arse scrounging lifts, getting buses walking etc when I live about 3 or 4 miles away! I can drive I just need a bloody licence and more lessons with my instrucotr to polish up manouveres :rolleyes:
Lilian
getting a bit down about driivng really need to just pass so I can drive myself to colleg eits such a pain in the ****ing arse scrounging lifts, getting buses walking etc when I live about 3 or 4 miles away! I can drive I just need a bloody licence and more lessons with my instrucotr to polish up manouveres :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. It takes me literally an hour to get home because first I have to take a bus to the local town, (20 minutes) then a bus back in the other direction to my house (30 minutes). So I end up getting home in around an hour from my school which my mother manages in the car in around 15 minutes. =o
Reply 576
<(+_+)>
I know what you mean. It takes me literally an hour to get home because first I have to take a bus to the local town, (20 minutes) then a bus back in the other direction to my house (30 minutes). So I end up getting home in around an hour from my school which my mother manages in the car in around 15 minutes. =o

complete and utter ditto there, takes my mum 15 mins in the car roughly! gaaaah it is just so frustrating all I need is a stupid pink piece of plastic! How I am I incompetent on the road when I see some people at my college who are so dangerous, sloppy and reckless it is terrifying to see them in control of tonnes of metal? Jesus :rolleyes:
/rant.
Sadly it's still gonna be a while for me until I pass my test, I've only been learning since August =( because I'm one of the youngest in the year. I'm sure AS people are going to start passing before me.

Quick question - I've got a problem with not looking in my mirrors at all. Stupid I know. I look when pulling off most of the time but at junctions and roundabouts I completely forget. Anyone got any handy hints on how to remember to look?
Reply 578
<(+_+)>
Sadly it's still gonna be a while for me until I pass my test, I've only been learning since August =( because I'm one of the youngest in the year. I'm sure AS people are going to start passing before me.

Quick question - I've got a problem with not looking in my mirrors at all. Stupid I know. I look when pulling off most of the time but at junctions and roundabouts I completely forget. Anyone got any handy hints on how to remember to look?

just remember you need to have eyes everywhere in a car any direction,speed etc you need to chedck everywhere, it will click in time promise!
Reply 579
<(+_+)>

I'm 21 and only started learning this summer, don't worry.

I forget to look when pulling off, just ask your instructor to continually remind you I guess

Quick Reply

Latest