The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)
1) you are travelling on a motorway at about 70mph with no traffic ahead, which lane should you use?

Am I right in assuming that the answer is the left lane..?

2) You are on a wet motorway with surface spray, which light mode should you use..?

I always seem to get this one wrong! Does the answer vary depending on the amount of rain/surface spray..?

Help would be much appreciated.

1) Yes, left. On a motorway stay as far left as you can, the other two lanes are purely to be used for passing slower vehicles, same as a 2/3 lane A road.

2) Is this a theory question? If I had to choose one, then it would be side lights, but obviously that would vary dependant on the actual conditions if we are talking actual driving. I'd also be well aware of the risk of hydroplaning.
AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anyone else find it difficult to drive with their parents? My Dad has this thing where he suddenly yells at me for little things I do wrong. This causes me to panic and then I end up doing more things wrong... things that I haven't done wrong in months!

He frazzles me! :eek3:
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
1) Yes, left. On a motorway stay as far left as you can, the other two lanes are purely to be used for passing slower vehicles, same as a 2/3 lane A road.

2) Is this a theory question? If I had to choose one, then it would be side lights, but obviously that would vary dependant on the actual conditions if we are talking actual driving. I'd also be well aware of the risk of hydroplaning.
Yeah, both are example theory questions that I have come across and was unsure about.

I had a feeling it was either the side lights or rear fog lights. Cheers for that. By hydroplanning, I assume you mean Aquaplanning..?

(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Does anyone else find it difficult to drive with their parents? My Dad has this thing where he suddenly yells at me for little things I do wrong. This causes me to panic and then I end up doing more things wrong... things that I haven't done wrong in months!

Yeah I understand what you mean. My dad was good that he let me drive his new Passat, but was cautious at the same time. Didnt quite like me revving the engine slightly when getting used to the new bitting point, and leaving the gear in first when waiting somewhere, etc, etc...
*Mike*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got my second theory test in 11 days lets hope this time when I pass ill get my practical done before it runs out....

Will have passed 2 theory tests before even taking my first practical :eek:
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, both are example theory questions that I have come across and was unsure about.

I had a feeling it was either the side lights or rear fog lights. Cheers for that. By hydroplanning, I assume you mean Aquaplanning..?
Hmmm fog lights when there's no fog in definitely not cool, so I'd go with sides for the purposes of the question.

Hydroplaning and aquaplaning are just two words for the same thing, and either way when it happens its ******* scary :eek:
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *Mike*)
Got my second theory test in 11 days lets hope this time when I pass ill get my practical done before it runs out....

Will have passed 2 theory tests before even taking my first practical :eek:
Good luckkk!! Got mine tomorrow...Friday the 13th!! ARgggghhh!!

Hmmm fog lights when there's no fog in definitely not cool, so I'd go with sides for the purposes of the question.

Hydroplaning and aquaplaning are just two words for the same thing, and either way when it happens its ******* scary :eek:
Cool! Thanks for that Alex! It makes sense now, with leaving fog lights on when there is no fog, and thus being not lawful, etc...
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck!

I have my first lesson in 2 weeks tomorrow, Friday 13th :banghead:
spike_spiegel
Report 9 years ago
passed my theory a couple of days ago before my second lesson. went around roundabouts and hit the road in the first lesson. second lesson, went on a single carriageway doing 60. third lesson hit the dual carriageway doing 70 love it. although i stall a couple of times at the lights because of the darned clutch
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by spike_spiegel)
passed my theory a couple of days ago before my second lesson. went around roundabouts and hit the road in the first lesson. second lesson, went on a single carriageway doing 60. third lesson hit the dual carriageway doing 70 love it. although i stall a couple of times at the lights because of the darned clutch
Did it hurt? :nutcase:
spike_spiegel
Report 9 years ago
Did it hurt? :nutcase:
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Cool! Thanks for that Alex! It makes sense now, with leaving fog lights on when there is no fog, and thus being not lawful, etc...
Goood luck for tomorrow!!

and Yes awesomelypsycho (whats your real name?!) i did sometimes find it annoying driving with parents!! Even when i passed they still try to tell me what to do. haha.
Especially when sometimes she used to tell me off for things she did. When is your test again- i must remember :rolleyes:
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
Even when i passed they still try to tell me what to do. haha.
That's cause there's still a lot they can teach you. There's a huuuge difference between being able to pass your test and being able to drive well
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's cause there's still a lot they can teach you. There's a huuuge difference between being able to pass your test and being able to drive well

Yes i am aware of that- i was just pointing out they aren't gonna stop doing it because you've passed! Im still a firm believer that you learn to drive when you pass.
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes i am aware of that- i was just pointing out they aren't gonna stop doing it because you've passed! Im still a firm believer that you learn to drive when you pass.
Was just the implication with the use of "try" that made it seem as though you weren't really fussed by listening to them. I just didn't want to see a thread next week "Help, I crashed my car..." :tongue:
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Good luck!

I have my first lesson in 2 weeks tomorrow, Friday 13th :banghead:
Cheers dude!

Not really helping being ill! :redface:
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Goood luck for tomorrow!!

and Yes awesomelypsycho (whats your real name?!) i did sometimes find it annoying driving with parents!! Even when i passed they still try to tell me what to do. haha.
Especially when sometimes she used to tell me off for things she did. When is your test again- i must remember :rolleyes:
Cheers Alexa! Gonna be needing it to pass...doesnt help when I am ill too now.. :redface:
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Was just the implication with the use of "try" that made it seem as though you weren't really fussed by listening to them. I just didn't want to see a thread next week "Help, I crashed my car..." :tongue:

haha thanks, well its not really that im not fussed, its that she was telling me things that i was already doing! And most of the time i drive on my own so could still crash i suppose, but i like to think im a safe driver!

anyways il stop over taking the learner thread now, sorry guys xx
Asclepius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha thanks, well its not really that im not fussed, its that she was telling me things that i was already doing! And most of the time i drive on my own so could still crash i suppose, but i like to think im a safe driver!

anyways il stop over taking the learner thread now, sorry guys xx
Wait till you start doing things in a different way to that taught by instructors, they usually go mad :tongue:

Luckily I was taught by my dad, so my driving was unconventional to begin with!
Zosie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)

I haven't started driving a car yet, but when I used to go out on my moped with my dad behind me on his motorbike, he'd always comment on everything I did wrong once we'd stopped. I mean, I understand he was trying to teach me what I should do, but a lot of it I knew I'd done wrong without him pointing it out.

I passed my theory test today I was really worried about it, to be honest I think I only passed because I was very lucky with what came up on my test. Now I'm just waiting for my first lesson on Monday (And yes, I know it's weird taking my theory test before I even started lessons. My mum booked my theory test for two days after my 17th birthday without telling me. I really would have preferred to wait a little longer.)
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got a theory book today, gonna start reading it later
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (626)
80.77%
Leave (149)
19.23%

Watched Threads