The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Sephrenia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by spike_spiegel)
had a good lesson today, best one so far. stalled after being complemented at the end :shifty: used to stall at the lights, not anymore. keep the brake down and bring the clutch up to the biting point, lift the brakes slightly until you move a tiny bit forward, then press the brakes down. hold the clutch in that position. that way when the lights turn green and you lift the brakes, you wont look like a berk when you stall, as the car will move forward because you havent lifted the clutch up too quickly. paralell parked again today, i keep reversing too fast, 3mph as i want to correct myself too quickly, plus my 3 point turn today was a bit dodgy compared to last times initial go at it. driving is fun
That doesn't work on hills though. You need to be able to balance gas/clutch rather than clutch brake, as anything other than slightly downhill on brake/clutch will probably start you rolling backwards....
Yusuf.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
had a good lesson today, best one so far. stalled after being complemented at the end :shifty: used to stall at the lights, not anymore. keep the brake down and bring the clutch up to the biting point, lift the brakes slightly until you move a tiny bit forward, then press the brakes down. hold the clutch in that position. that way when the lights turn green and you lift the brakes, you wont look like a berk when you stall, as the car will move forward because you havent lifted the clutch up too quickly. paralell parked again today, i keep reversing too fast, 3mph as i want to correct myself too quickly, plus my 3 point turn today was a bit dodgy compared to last times initial go at it. driving is fun
haha thing is i didnt stall once today thank God! i stall less and less luckily!
i was in some intense traffic today like 30+ cars backed up and THANK GOD IT WASNT MY FAULT! lol just really busy time on that road i guess.
i did turn in the road like 7 times one after another the other day.. i was really picky and wanted to do it PERFECT so it took 7 times but my instructor was like you got it done perfectly on the second go lol. Did bay parking today aswell.. from the left im good, introduced doing it from the right and it was near the end of my lesson and i was sorta miffed at how the lesson went so it wasnt my best..i was making silly mistakes but hey, i dealt with it!
im kinda learning not to let a crap lesson get to me too much cos it doesnt help in the long run.
what i need to work on it forward planning and just general awareness really, i HAAAAAAAAAAAATE roundabouts with a passion, some are good the rest i just hate soo much, i get soo nervous that i forget what direction to go into lol.
Do you add gas while you are on the roundabout?? cos my instructor says not to most of the time and just let it roll and then once you come off the roundabout and indicate left then add gas. but there are times when i feel as if the car is just gonn a stop right in the middle of the roundabout if i dont add gas
spike_spiegel
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.T)
haha thing is i didnt stall once today thank God! i stall less and less luckily!
i was in some intense traffic today like 30+ cars backed up and THANK GOD IT WASNT MY FAULT! lol just really busy time on that road i guess.
i did turn in the road like 7 times one after another the other day.. i was really picky and wanted to do it PERFECT so it took 7 times but my instructor was like you got it done perfectly on the second go lol. Did bay parking today aswell.. from the left im good, introduced doing it from the right and it was near the end of my lesson and i was sorta miffed at how the lesson went so it wasnt my best..i was making silly mistakes but hey, i dealt with it!
im kinda learning not to let a crap lesson get to me too much cos it doesnt help in the long run.
what i need to work on it forward planning and just general awareness really, i HAAAAAAAAAAAATE roundabouts with a passion, some are good the rest i just hate soo much, i get soo nervous that i forget what direction to go into lol.
Do you add gas while you are on the roundabout?? cos my instructor says not to most of the time and just let it roll and then once you come off the roundabout and indicate left then add gas. but there are times when i feel as if the car is just gonn a stop right in the middle of the roundabout if i dont add gas
my instructors pretty chilled, he's around my age. he's pretty straightforward and not overbearing at all. he just gets you right into action from the first lesson with no pussy footing whatsoever. depends on which type of roundabout you're talking about. for the larger ones you just stop behind the line, and when entering, enter with some gusto. the mini roundabouts are similar, msm etc...
http://www.2pass.co.uk/roundabout.htm
Yusuf.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my instructors pretty chilled, he's around my age. he's pretty straightforward and not overbearing at all. he just gets you right into action from the first lesson with no pussy footing whatsoever. depends on which type of roundabout you're talking about. for the larger ones you just stop behind the line, and when entering, enter with some gusto. the mini roundabouts are similar, msm etc...
http://www.2pass.co.uk/roundabout.htm
ahh yeah mines chilled too, havent got any issues with him whatsoever, he let me drive off from my housr after the second lesson so its all good lol. Yeah the larger ones i haaate soo much.. i just wanna get past them as quick as possible hence me adding Gas lol i dont mind the mini roundabouts like the painted on the ground ones, they are alright for me.
perfectimperfection
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.T)
ahh yeah mines chilled too, havent got any issues with him whatsoever, he let me drive off from my housr after the second lesson so its all good lol. Yeah the larger ones i haaate soo much.. i just wanna get past them as quick as possible hence me adding Gas lol i dont mind the mini roundabouts like the painted on the ground ones, they are alright for me.

i HATE mini-roundabouts! Not that they're difficult but it's just that I found them very much unnecessary. What's wrong with a normal junction? Normal/large roundabouts are only ok if they're controlled by lights that's when you know it's ok to go; I hate having to make a decision on wheter it's safe to go or not, especially at busy times.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by perfectimperfection)
i HATE mini-roundabouts! Not that they're difficult but it's just that I found them very much unnecessary. What's wrong with a normal junction? Normal/large roundabouts are only ok if they're controlled by lights that's when you know it's ok to go; I hate having to make a decision on wheter it's safe to go or not, especially at busy times.
Apparently mimi-roundabouts reduce traffic jams because people have to give way to the right (although many don't....), rather than it being 1 or 2 of what are currently exits/entrances constantly giving way (as would be the case at normal junctions). There are some round here where you would be lucky to see 2 cars at once let alone a traffic jam, so yea it’s crazy in some places, but I do think they improve some areas massively

Annoying that I haven't got a lesson tomorrow

I won't be having practice with a friend on Sunday 15th (10 days before test) because of football, just hope I'm able to practice on Sunday 22nd......
k823127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was told most mini roundabouts are there because there isnt enough space in the road, so obviously 1/2 at a time instead of a major junction. Had a good lesson today am feeling the clutch biting point quicker and am more confident, but apparently the confidence is turning into going too fast into junctions etc so am therefore making steering mistakes like crossing hands because im too fast. Im okay at mini roundabouts but going round a fairly busy one i was nearly crapping myself..i guess that comes with confidence too. Major roundabouts i.e 3 lanes and ones with traffic lights on etc are next week so not really looking forward to that. AND AND only stalled once today and that was when i was pulling in
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had probably one of the worst lessons yet today, not good, especially just having booked my practical too...grrr!

Took a bit more clearance than usual when passing by parked cars, etc, and was too quick on approach too turns and junctions....grrr...

What are people's tips with right hand bay parking..? Need tips on that...

celticfcz
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys!

My test is in 4 weeks and Im getting quite panicky about it! I dont know why but I feel Im not getting very far anymore - seem to totally muck up my roundabouts now and my reverse corner isnt amazing yet either! On my reverse park Im so scared of hitting the kerb I usually reverse in, stop, move forward a bit to straighten the car and then reverse back - do you think this is ok? Will I get marked down for not taking it straight in?

And also what sort of questions do the examiners ask at the start of the test? Did many of you actually have to go and show them things such as the engine, point out the brake fluid etc? Thanks
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by celticfcz)
Hey guys!

My test is in 4 weeks and Im getting quite panicky about it! I dont know why but I feel Im not getting very far anymore - seem to totally muck up my roundabouts now and my reverse corner isnt amazing yet either! On my reverse park Im so scared of hitting the kerb I usually reverse in, stop, move forward a bit to straighten the car and then reverse back - do you think this is ok? Will I get marked down for not taking it straight in?

And also what sort of questions do the examiners ask at the start of the test? Did many of you actually have to go and show them things such as the engine, point out the brake fluid etc? Thanks
You are allowed the 'forward movement', as long as you do observation correctly then it's at your discretion whether to use it or not. If you do not feel comfortable going straight in then that's fine. You are only allowed to move forward once though so make sure you get it right when you do!

Yes, everyone has to do the "show me, tell me" stuff now. These are the questions, you will be asked one set (so 2 questions):
http://www.jamesillsley.com/Document...%20me%20Qs.pdf
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ah i can't keep up with all your updates, even though i said i would stick around. Hope your all still enjoying driving.

Awesomelypsycho, my driving buddy how is the practice going?? How long til your test now- i'm trying to keep up but failing miserably!
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
ah i can't keep up with all your updates, even though i said i would stick around. Hope your all still enjoying driving.

Awesomelypsycho, my driving buddy how is the practice going?? How long til your test now- i'm trying to keep up but failing miserably!
Heyyyyyyyy!

23rd March! I'm getting used to my instructor's car and my driving is improving muchly! How's your driving going!?

Don't worry, I've been having trouble keeping up with everyone as well All I know is that my test is the same day as *Mike* and a lot of people are having tests around that week. It's a huge week for us learners!
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Heyyyyyyyy!

23rd March! I'm getting used to my instructor's car and my driving is improving muchly! How's your driving going!?

Don't worry, I've been having trouble keeping up with everyone as well All I know is that my test is the same day as *Mike* and a lot of people are having tests around that week. It's a huge week for us learners!

ooh so just under a month, you will have to remind me nearer the time too- have a memory like a sieve! haha i think i spelt that right.
Glad your driving is going okay, im really enjoying the freedom- in my first week i drove to my friends who lives about 1 hr 30 mins away so that was a big challenge and i think i did quite well! but this week ive lost it a bit and seem to think im not very good when i know i can drive- just gotta believe in myself. I was at some traffic lights and i suddenly paniced coz it was a hill start- felt like getting outta my car and leaving it there :rolleyes: haha such a drama queen, even though i did it fine, i just worry too much!

Lol you lot must be thinking how the heck did you pass!!

xxxxx
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexa123)
ooh so just under a month, you will have to remind me nearer the time too- have a memory like a sieve! haha i think i spelt that right.
Glad your driving is going okay, im really enjoying the freedom- in my first week i drove to my friends who lives about 1 hr 30 mins away so that was a big challenge and i think i did quite well! but this week ive lost it a bit and seem to think im not very good when i know i can drive- just gotta believe in myself. I was at some traffic lights and i suddenly paniced coz it was a hill start- felt like getting outta my car and leaving it there :rolleyes: haha such a drama queen, even though i did it fine, i just worry too much!

Lol you lot must be thinking how the heck did you pass!!

xxxxx
Lol! You're so funny sometimes. I do that at hill's all the time. I panic and say that I'm refusing to do it, like that's gonna help. Either way I have no choice :tongue:

I can't wait for that freedom. Today I had to go to my nearby high road and had to walk to the bus stop, get the bus, then get back on the bus and walk home. It doesn't sound like much but it took ages. Everyone around me is passing and I want to
alexa123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Lol! You're so funny sometimes. I do that at hill's all the time. I panic and say that I'm refusing to do it, like that's gonna help. Either way I have no choice :tongue:

I can't wait for that freedom. Today I had to go to my nearby high road and had to walk to the bus stop, get the bus, then get back on the bus and walk home. It doesn't sound like much but it took ages. Everyone around me is passing and I want to

I always just worry im gonna hit the car infront if i rev too much! If im at the front it's not so bad but then i worry i won't move off fast enough- YES I WORRY TOO MUCH!

Ah i know what you mean, i was last outta my immediate group of college friends to pass- although i was glad to pass first time as some of them didn't but kept telling me to hurry up with the driving :rolleyes: Everyone goes at their own speed when it comes to the driving test, and there is nothing wrong with that! I really hope you pass!
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)
Had probably one of the worst lessons yet today, not good, especially just having booked my practical too...grrr!

Took a bit more clearance than usual when passing by parked cars, etc, and was too quick on approach too turns and junctions....grrr...

What are people's tips with right hand bay parking..? Need tips on that...

Anyone..?

itzme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello,
I changed my test to April, but the problem is that I ALWAYS rev the engine too much and changing gears takes so long that it seems as if the vehicle is gona roll to a stop!!!! I try to improve on this, but I CAN'T!!!! if I sit too far, I won't be able to reach the pedals, but then sitting closely doesn't seem to be helping either!!!! What can i do as i've been learning for quite a while and I am still not there!!!!!
itzme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
about changing gears, if i do it too quickly, the vehicle just stalls, but other drivers always gets annoyed when I drive because I am sooo slow!
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you sure it's not just your perception of being slow? I think I go round corners sooooooo slowly (any slower and I would roll backwards down the hill......) but apparently I go round too fast, which is what caused me to fail the mock test. And ignore other drivers.

Sorry GεεRTHAN, no idea. I can’t do any of it either way!
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So they've finally given me a new date for my test, and it's the 24th of April!

It said on the letter they gave me that since my test was cancelled I should get a new date within 3 weeks. It's not fair! Now I have to wait 2 months for something that was their fault in the first place...

I wanna cry! =[=[=[=[
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (273)
27.25%
No (729)
72.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise