The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Chantal1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yea. she does seem to be "raping me" for all the money she can :P gah, I might just talk to her tomorrow again and explan how I feel about my progress
spike_spiegel
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.T)
I would dude i really would but im nowhere near test standard at all

the 40 was in total between the two instructors i had.

i dunno if its me or the intructor or both but im just not progressing that fast lol
i'm going to be as kind as possible with what i'm going to say... well here goes. :redface:
*rant* first of all shape up and grow a pair, you'll never know without giving it a shot. i dont know what your story is but if you're expecting ooooh's and aaaah's, then no i dont understand. from my experience of driving, your instructor must have taught you everything you need to know in the first 10 lessons (in your case twice over), and the remaining lessons, as i see it are for practicing these techniques. from what i understand you're a grand out of pocket. sort it out by sitting a test, and if all goes well, would be a good boost from your gap year */rant*
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chantal1991)
Yea. she does seem to be "raping me" for all the money she can :P gah, I might just talk to her tomorrow again and explan how I feel about my progress
See if she's prepared to up the pace of her teaching, but if she refuses don't hang around and let her waste any more money
Chantal1991
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
See if she's prepared to up the pace of her teaching, but if she refuses don't hang around and let her waste any more money

Oh wont, its alot of money she'd be wasting. I find it freaky that she allows me to go at 50mph and 60mph (dual carrigeways) massive roundabouts at the top of said roads but she wont do manouvres yet!
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When you were learning to drive did you ask your instructor if you could book your test or did they ask you?
fulltimeprincess
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rizzletastic)
Nice one, test any time soon?
Hopefully Don't think I'm quite test standard yet but am definitely not far off. Should book it soon really though coz its a 7 week wait at the test centre near me!
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Congrats guys for all everyone's achieving.

I'm finally getting used to my new instructors car. WOOHOO! But all of my friend's are passing I'm so jealous! A friend of mine has her test the day after and I'll be so gutted if she passes and I don't.
xKarinx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.T)
I was meant to have a lesson today, but like i mentioned ive decided to give the driving thing a rest for a few months.

I think in total i took like over 40 lessons and honestly i feel i havent learnt A LOT.. im not ashamed to say im a slow learner when it comes to driving, but ive been through two instructors and had 40+ lessons and STILL dont feel like im driving any better then when i first started. lol.

Im kinda glad am taking a break from it all, im able to focus on saving money for uni better and i wont have to worry about the stress of driving etcc.. my mate was like ahh maate you wasted soo much money, which is true but ive also gained a lot of skills in driving so when i do continue in autumn i wont be like a complete newbie at the whole thing. Besides, money is money, theres greater things in the world.
I felt a lot like you do when I was learning to drive. I gave up once and then started again, and tbh I never felt like I was good at all. Then at the end of one of my lessons my instructor turned round and said that I should book my test as I was gonna be going to uni in a couple of months and it would be worth just trying before I went. I didn't really feel ready, and yeah I failed my first test but the thing I failed on was the stupidest thing. And if I hadn't made that one stupid mistake I would have only had 4 minors which made me realise that my driving couldn't be that bad! I booked another test straight away and passed.

So even if you don't feel you're that good, after 40 lessons surely you know everything you need to know for the test so maybe you could book one like has already been said?
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ive done 10 lessons now and not even tried monouvres

my dads done one with me and I can do it fine. But my instructer is adament that its "not time for another 10 hours"
Wow, that seems really silly. I think I started mine after about 5 lessons maybe? I know the first 3 I was just learning the basics... and then I was out on the roads for a few more but then went straight into learning the manouevres. I did them quite steadily though. Maybe only one every 3 lessons.

Maybe you should think about changing instructors if he refuses to teach you things? I know my instructor wanted to leave bay parking for a bit longer once I'd covered all of the others but I asked if we could do it and he let me.

(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)

I'm finally getting used to my new instructors car. WOOHOO! But all of my friend's are passing I'm so jealous! A friend of mine has her test the day after and I'll be so gutted if she passes and I don't.
I know what you mean. A friend of mine shares the same instructor as me because I recommended him to her. She started learning a few months after me (her birthday is 3 months before mine, though). She booked her test just before I took mine (in Jan) and then, when I failed mine and rebooked it, mine ended up on the same day as hers. Mine was 2 hours before hers so my instructor went straight from me to her.

I was so worried that I'd fail again and then she'd pass and I'd feel really stupid because she'd had less time and the same instructor. However, I passed and then thought it'd be really good if we both passed the same day. Unfortunately, she didn't
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ive done 10 lessons now and not even tried monouvres

my dads done one with me and I can do it fine. But my instructer is adament that its "not time for another 10 hours"
Find another instructor. My first instructor was a bit like that, although he kept saying 'We'll do *** next week' and kept up the mantra of 'Once forward is sorted out perfectly, then we can go backwards.' I got an instructor in the last half of the summer holidays - Learnt all my manoeuvres in 5 weeks, and passed my test first time. If I'd stayed with my old instructor I expect I would still be learning now (and I started Nov 07...)
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)

It all works out in good time eh!

I know your feeling about mates around you passing and all. Because I am pretty much in a similar situation, but most of my mates have passed ages ago, and got a few left who are nearly passing...but whether I do or not soon shall be determined... :redface:
Chantal1991
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I decided to leave my instructer and Ive gone for a slightly more expensive man although he was highly reccomended through one of my friends. When I spoke to him on the phone I explained Id already been sriving 10 hours and not done anything significant and he was really suprised and said we'd be moving on to monouvres in the second hour ( as he obviously needs the first bto asses my driving ability)

This is as although I wanted to give my old instructer a chance I asked her about monvoures again and she blanked it, I kept on for most of the lesson kinda making her get the hint that we move on because its my money or I dont come back. She reluctantly did bay parking with me 10 minuites before the end but its not something she will continue as she told me. so on that note we sqaured over our remaining hlaf hour pre pain and I decided to book someone else

hope it goes well, I cant wait!
Chantal1991
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sephrenia)
Find another instructor. My first instructor was a bit like that, although he kept saying 'We'll do *** next week' and kept up the mantra of 'Once forward is sorted out perfectly, then we can go backwards.' I got an instructor in the last half of the summer holidays - Learnt all my manoeuvres in 5 weeks, and passed my test first time. If I'd stayed with my old instructor I expect I would still be learning now (and I started Nov 07...)
that line there is exactly the same excuse as my instructer is using, granted worded slightly differently.
Kathryn128
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by madeyoulook)
When you were learning to drive did you ask your instructor if you could book your test or did they ask you?
Well, my instructor's told me I can book mine now I've passed my theory (which I did by myself, not anything to do with her) - I've told her I'm wanting to pass by the summer (having had about 10 hours now), and she's said that we can work that out, and that if I want to book it for late June/early July, I can
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Meh I failed...
thebirthoftragedy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
Meh I failed...
what happened? :hugs:
Anderson8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got my test tomorrow. Well nervous.
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Meh I failed...
Oh no, what happened..? Re-booked yet..?

(Original post by Anderson8)
BEST OF LUCK! YOU WILL BE FINE!!
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
WTF is up with this forum, it keeps unsubscribing me from stuff :mad:

Meh I failed...
Awww, that's a shame

(Original post by Anderson8)
Good luck!
k823127
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm hoping to take my test in a few weeks time which im okay at the minute with however, just a quick question. My clutch control is fine apart from recently i've been struggling when coming up to a junction and changing down to first just before whilst braking, when i lift the clutch back up it makes this horrendous noise. It doesn't chug or anything, literally just makes this noise. Is it because im not using any acceleration whilst bringing it up, as i want to slow it down or because im using the brake? OR anything thing else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (162)
27%
No (438)
73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise