The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6360
Hey a quick question to all of you, what do you prefer taking lessons in - a diesel or petrol? Whats the differences between them, in terms of handling.

thanks
Reply 6361
Zack
They really should have more centres. It's mad round here. I don't think they gave an official reason for closing the 2 in Bath, but all the Bristol ones had like a month wait for me (so no idea where my instructor got his fast-track test in a week idea from :confused:). Still good really, I have a feeling he wanted me to take it this week just gone, I’d rather wait haha

And just had to get my lesson moved to Wednesday, so have an hour right before football (but not close enough so that I can drive up to football and show off!! :cry: :p:) then have 2 hours on Friday, then maybe have an hour or two on the Monday I would guess, with the horrible test on Wed :frown:. LOL my mate thinks I should have those tablets or whatever they are, I’m not nervous, just extremely unconfident! :p:

Try not to be so nervous, you'll be fine! Good luck! :biggrin: It's my birthday on Wednesday, so it's definitely a lucky day. Plus, I passed my test on a Wednesday.

I had to wait 2 months for my first test.. but that was because I wanted a specific day and time. For my second test I waited just over a month...
Reply 6362
Rennie
Try not to be so nervous, you'll be fine! Good luck! :biggrin: It's my birthday on Wednesday, so it's definitely a lucky day. Plus, I passed my test on a Wednesday.

I had to wait 2 months for my first test.. but that was because I wanted a specific day and time. For my second test I waited just over a month...

Awww thanks Rennie :smile:. Hahaha that's crazy having it on your birthday! Haha and you passed on a Wednesday, Wednesday really is your lucky day!

I was planning to have any day/time, then I realised that it didn't actually clash with anything, which saves the lies/explanations of why I’m not where I’m supposed to be!
Reply 6363
Zack
Awww thanks Rennie :smile:. Hahaha that's crazy having it on your birthday! Haha and you passed on a Wednesday, Wednesday really is your lucky day!

I was planning to have any day/time, then I realised that it didn't actually clash with anything, which saves the lies/explanations of why I’m not where I’m supposed to be!

I skipped college for mine... which really wasn't a good idea. But my instructor told me not to do it at a weekend and other than that I'm at college all the time. I do finish early on a Wednesday, though... but my test clashed with my English lesson.
Reply 6364
M.A.H
Hey a quick question to all of you, what do you prefer taking lessons in - a diesel or petrol? Whats the differences between them, in terms of handling.

thanks

Ive done lessons in both, first was a diesel corsa, now im doing lessons in a petrol mini cooper. Not much difference, accept for starting in a petrol is faster.
Reply 6365
Rennie
I skipped college for mine... which really wasn't a good idea. But my instructor told me not to do it at a weekend and other than that I'm at college all the time. I do finish early on a Wednesday, though... but my test clashed with my English lesson.

Yea I'm lucky I get that day off. What did you say to your teacher when you said you wouldn't be in the English lesson? My mate said he was at the doctors when he had his theory :rofl: Quite an original excuse that they can't argue with! Then he had a real doctors appointment a few days later, the school didn’t realise/say anything to him.

I don't want anyone to know when I have mine, just because I hate failing so much. Having texts on my phone when I got out of those 2 failed theory tests saying how did you get on, good luck etc etc was so upsetting, nothing can make the fact that I failed worse, but then having to tell people I failed :banghead:
What's with the rules about the "push and pull" steering method during the exam...? Do they expect to see it throughout the test..?
Reply 6367
Original post by G&#949
What's with the rules about the "push and pull" steering method during the exam...? Do they expect to see it throughout the test..?

I'm not entirely sure, I expect that they would like to see it but they are probably looking for good steering control. For example, if you cross your arms over that shows bad control and you could get a minor for it (I know someone who got two minors for crossing arms whilst steering).
Original post by G&#949

On my first test I let the steering while slide through my hands and she didn't say anything :cool:

This time I really don't wanna fail though, so I think I'll use the proper method
Hey guys got my first test in just over 2 weeks! Eeek lol!

I have a few questions - when coming up to mini-roundabouts do you always stop? Because I tend to just slow down into 2nd gear and if its clear just go slowly through? What would you say was the best option?

Also I never get my lane positioning correct on the huge roundabouts with like 4/5 cut-offs - any advice?

Last question - do you guys always go in the left lane whenever possible? My instructor tells me to do this and also says that if a car overtakes you on the left it is an automatic fail?

Thanks and good luck all with tests soon! I just hope Im ready!
^ Yeah, I just slow down into second gear and continue through if it's clear, thats fine to do.

My lane positioning is bad though! I totally mess it up sometimes..something I might ask my instructor about actually. Oh and yeah, keep in the left, the only reason i'd use the right is if I was overtaking something like a bus or a broken down vehicle :smile:

Hope this is of some help!
celticfcz
Hey guys got my first test in just over 2 weeks! Eeek lol!

I have a few questions - when coming up to mini-roundabouts do you always stop? Because I tend to just slow down into 2nd gear and if its clear just go slowly through? What would you say was the best option?

If it's safe to keep moving then keep moving

Also I never get my lane positioning correct on the huge roundabouts with like 4/5 cut-offs - any advice?

Tbh I don't really know what you're asking here :confused: It's just a case of being in the right lane and moving across where appropriate, using correct signalling at all times

Last question - do you guys always go in the left lane whenever possible? My instructor tells me to do this and also says that if a car overtakes you on the left it is an automatic fail?

Nope, and I didn't when I was learning either. I think a lot depends on the examiner you have on the day, but I passed even though I quite regularly used the right hand lane, including at traffic lights and when exiting from two lane roundabouts

Good luck :smile:
Somebody neg repped me for my post last week where I'd had an abysmal lesson and cried, apparantly I should 'Get a life' and that 'I'm probably disabled' :rolleyes:
Didn't even leave a name, pity.

Zack

I don't want anyone to know when I have mine, just because I hate failing so much. Having texts on my phone when I got out of those 2 failed theory tests saying how did you get on, good luck etc etc was so upsetting, nothing can make the fact that I failed worse, but then having to tell people I failed :banghead:

I agree with you there, I'm trying to keep my test quiet because I hate the embarrassment of having failed something when I'm so positive I'll pass. Lots of people fail first time, so it's not the end of the world. Probably the fact that I'm paying for it is :cool:
:biggrin:
Pepperoni
Somebody neg repped me for my post last week where I'd had an abysmal lesson and cried, apparantly I should 'Get a life' and that 'I'm probably disabled' :rolleyes:

I agree with you there, I'm trying to keep my test quiet because I hate the embarrassment of having failed somethin:banghead: g when I'm so positive I'll pass. Lots of people fail first time, so it's not the end of the world. Probably the fact that I'm paying for it is :cool:

Zack

I totally agree with you both. Knowing that people are waiting for my answer makes me so much more nervous. If I don't tell people then if I fail then no one will ever no, and if I pass I can surprise anyone :biggrin:

Although it sucks when people keep asking if I've got another test booked, and all I can say is "soon" over and over again.

Pepperoni, I can't believe someone actually did that. That's mean and funny at the same time.
Ohh 9 days, I am strangely excited and not nervous as I know I can pass if I concentrate and dont make some stupid mistake like speeding grrr
Reply 6375
Pepperoni

I agree with you there, I'm trying to keep my test quiet because I hate the embarrassment of having failed something when I'm so positive I'll pass. Lots of people fail first time, so it's not the end of the world. Probably the fact that I'm paying for it is :cool:

Awww that's tight!! Nice they went to so much effort though!

Haha, yea true, I don't fancy paying £106.50 over and over again either!

AwesomelyPsycho
:biggrin:

I totally agree with you both. Knowing that people are waiting for my answer makes me so much more nervous. If I don't tell people then if I fail then no one will ever no, and if I pass I can surprise anyone :biggrin:

Although it sucks when people keep asking if I've got another test booked, and all I can say is "soon" over and over again.

Pepperoni, I can't believe someone actually did that. That's mean and funny at the same time.

One of my mates knows, but we tell each other everything and she has a theory soon that nobody else knows about. I don't mind her knowing as she'll just ask and then be kind, but it's when you get people at school/college who repeatedly ask and go on about it.

Haha, yea I keep saying "soon" to everyone else. Although I made the mistake a few weeks ago of saying "in 3 weeks" so they're guessing that it's this week lol

pork products
Ohh 9 days, I am strangely excited and not nervous as I know I can pass if I concentrate and dont make some stupid mistake like speeding grrr

Is your test on 25th too? Haha good luck! What time is it? And remember that speeding isn't an automatic fail, if you correct it quickly (and safely):smile:
Zack

Is your test on 25th too? Haha good luck! What time is it? And remember that speeding isn't an automatic fail, if you correct it quickly (and safely):smile:

Yep at 11.41 I think, i am really happy with the time as nothing really happens then so hopefully I won't have to stop much as I just want to get it over with. lol I just forgot it was a 30 and changed into 4th and put my foot down so it would have been a fail lol, I will just have to concentrate to make sure I don't edge over the limit as it is so easy to do :frown:

I have never done a test route before as my instructor says I should be able to drive any bit of road and pass which makes it more difficult but I guess he is right and will make me a better driver.
Reply 6377
Zack
Yea I'm lucky I get that day off. What did you say to your teacher when you said you wouldn't be in the English lesson? My mate said he was at the doctors when he had his theory :rofl: Quite an original excuse that they can't argue with! Then he had a real doctors appointment a few days later, the school didn’t realise/say anything to him.

I didn't tell anyone about mine and I didn't say anything to my teacher. Absences are not really noted at my college. They never ask you about why you were off. It just all goes against your attendance and they're not bothered very much. It didn't bother me because I don't get EMA and I don't take time off really anyway.

All of my friends were shocked to find out that it was my second test. Once I'd passed I told them and then my friend who shared the same instructor mentioned my first test. They were all so hurt that I hadn't told them that I'd failed. But I just didn't want to!
Reply 6378
pork products
Yep at 11.41 I think, i am really happy with the time as nothing really happens then so hopefully I won't have to stop much as I just want to get it over with. lol I just forgot it was a 30 and changed into 4th and put my foot down so it would have been a fail lol, I will just have to concentrate to make sure I don't edge over the limit as it is so easy to do :frown:

I have never done a test route before as my instructor says I should be able to drive any bit of road and pass which makes it more difficult but I guess he is right and will make me a better driver.

Good luck, you'll be getting ready to go out for your pre-test lesson as I return haha!

Yea mine has the same kind of view. I have done key parts of test routes (a horrible roundabout which I didn't used to mind, but I've messed up on it quite a lot recently so I now hate it! I suppose it does make you a better drive in the end, it's annoying though

Rennie
I didn't tell anyone about mine and I didn't say anything to my teacher. Absences are not really noted at my college. They never ask you about why you were off. It just all goes against your attendance and they're not bothered very much. It didn't bother me because I don't get EMA and I don't take time off really anyway.

All of my friends were shocked to find out that it was my second test. Once I'd passed I told them and then my friend who shared the same instructor mentioned my first test. They were all so hurt that I hadn't told them that I'd failed. But I just didn't want to!

Ah cool, we get harassed about any absence :banghead:. Would lose EMA too so if I don’t get it on a day off then it’s really costing £130 rather than £100!

That must be funny haha! People I know will be like that if I ever pass, some of them haven’t even worked out I’m learning until recently. Awww!! No I think you were right to not say anything, if/when I fail I won’t tell anybody else until I eventually pass, just would get annoying with people saying what test is this etc. They might not know when the test is, but they would know you have failed 1/2/3 etc
Wow, a lot of people have tests next week! :biggrin:
Let's hope it's a good week for us all :smile:

pork products and Zack, good luck! You've still got 9 days so that's plenty of time to get prepared.

Does anyone else have their test next week?

Quick Reply