The Learner driver progression thread Watch

sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
Just had a phonecall from the independant company I drive with, saying my ADI's just been 'let go' and wanted to know if I'd like to stick with them. I said yes and now have a new ADI called Sukhi who's apparently the cream of the crop in automatic driving. Woot.
Why was he let go :ninja:
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well they'd had a lot of complaints about him not being reachable/contactable and answering phonecalls in lessons n things....
x_Daisy_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've just had my first lesson today. It's so much harder than I thought it would be! I find it hard to change the gearstick from 2 to 3 and when I'm going round a corner I always accelerate at the worng time. Oh well I suppose I'll get there one day...
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
changing from 2nd to 3rd is easy! :p: i find it difficult putting the car in 2nd gear- sometimes i accidentally put it in 4th instead :getmecoat
sauce
(Original post by kitty_koo)
changing from 2nd to 3rd is easy! :p: i find it difficult putting the car in 2nd gear- sometimes i accidentally put it in 4th instead :getmecoat
I used to do that embarassssing.
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I loved 2nd to 3rd... 3rd to 5th is the bugger.
sauce
I never do 3rd to fifth
Throwback
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lilian)
welll first get the two cars paralell so usually you're slightly forward of the other car.
reverse back until you're at the same level(boot or front at the same position as your back) then steer one full turn left.
When the front of your car is approaching the headlight then steer one full turn right and then another full turn right. When you're just about to get all of your car in the gap then turn a final full turn left to straighten up!
Tada..Should be done!..(in theory)
And remember if you start straight you will end straight! don't be a silly like me and always start wonky :rolleyes:
Just fiddle around with it if it's a steeper hill(may have to steer faster or earlier) and vica versa!
That's how I was taught it too .But mine was slightly more methodical I think, in terms of the postioning of the car. It goes:

- get the two cars parallel, with your car slightly ahead of the other car.
- reverse back until you can see the back of the other car in your rear passenger side window. stop. steer one full turn to the left.
-reverse back until your left wing mirror is in line with the back of the other car. stop. steer one full turn to the right.
- reverse back until you are sort of diagonal to the other car's headlights. stop. steer one full turn to the right.
- reverse back until you are fully lined up with the car in front and steer one full turn to the left quickly so your wheels are straight.
-
Ilora-Danon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^Dry steering??? *tut tut* lol
sauce
I think you might not be completely dry there, more kinda rolling a tiny bit so got no minors!
Also I think dry steering is not good practice but isn't even a minor in some cases, the same as sequential gear changes
[/end driving test geek]
<(+_+)>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Doesn't dry steering damage the tyres and the steering wheel? =s
sauce
(Original post by <(+_+)>)
Doesn't dry steering damage the tyres and the steering wheel? =s
In long term, yes (like you did all your manouveres with dry steering eeveryday)but it doesn't compromise on the safety of the car which is what the DSA care about :s:
DSA....:vmad:
coolguy456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just booked my test....AHHHH 5th november!
bubu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
had great lesson yesterday finally did reverse round corner 3 times perfect
messed up the 2nd time but corrected myself in time

next week im going to do bay park
Shuffler
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my lesson today was a dissaster. i drove past a large bush which scraped the instructors car. i feel really bad but i dnt think its totally my fault, the bush was sticking out too much
Pony Jack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A bad workman blames his tools...or an inanimate object :p:
Don't worry about it, ****s bound to happen. I bust my instructor's car's tyre once. Criinge.
sauce
one of my best friends passed his test today with 5 minors. I'm sooo proud and excited for him!
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:eek: got a driving lesson tomorrow and i'll be doing roundabouts properly :s: i hate roundabouts
<(+_+)>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ Congratz for your friend. Plus you got a free taxi service. =P
sauce
(Original post by <(+_+)>)
^^ Congratz for your friend. Plus you got a free taxi service. =P
nah...he's too nice though and if I ask he'll probs say yes :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (81)
45.76%
Pro-humanity (96)
54.24%

Watched Threads