Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that fran hopefully you will pass next time

(Original post by crazyunicorn133)
    I've just come back from my driving lesson and i'm so proud of myself i managed to do a parallel park perfectly, not once, but twice!!
    That is the only manouvre i've had trouble with really, and im glad i've got it :tongue:

But i then preceeded to almost crash into a bus... argh, but it wasnt my fault that the bus just pulled out in front of me, though it made me sooo nervous and start shaking slightly that i messed up quite a bit after that :mad:
    grr. I keep making silly mistakes though, and i know they are wrong even when i'm doing them, such as not changing gear to 1st when turning corners, not checking blind spots when reversing or checking back mirror after turning into a new road.

I've had about 24 lessons so far and still making these silly mistakes, so my confidence is going a bit, i'm debating going on a break from driving atm to focus on my studies and continue after my degree. Thats only about 2 months away lol. Has anyone else here taken a break from driving and then gone back again? How long did it take you to catch up again?
    I always used to make silly mistakes all the time and I still do occasionally, haha I nearly hit aa bus aswell but you will just do it without thinking about it. Thats what happened with me as one lesson i just started to look in the mirrors without thinking about it and get in a routine, if I was you I wouldnt stop learning as you will just forget things so just keep it up and you will pass I am sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I hope so, but this is what everyone said to me last time!

Also I actually feel less prepared for this test! I know what I'm doing but I am worried I will get RRC. I got parallel park and TIR on my last test, which was perfect, and I only got 1 minor for the TIR. However now I'm worried that I'll get RRC and fail AGAIN!
    Awww!! Hopefully you get the ones you want, try and stay positive (rich coming from me LOL!)

(Original post by alexa123)
    Zack and Awesomely psycho- memory is bad as usual, how many days til your tests?!

Driving is going well thanks, im really enjoying it- still hate hill starts as i get nervy when i shouldnt, but it is sooo true that you learn to drive after you pass. I think i improve soo much all the time and hope i havent picked up too many bad habits, although i do coast quite a bit! haha.
    One manouver i havent done yet is a parallel park, i wasnt too bad when i was in lessons, but its easier to go slow and in a quiet area on lessons. I just really dont wanna do one in a busy area of town etc. so avoid them haha. Oh and no suprise i havent done a RRC either.
    Do bay parking all the time at college etc. some peoples parking is shocking at college!!
    Mines next Wed, 2 days after Awesomelypsycho's .Hahaha, so true about parallel park. I love it as I always do it right in his car, but I’m being taught a routine rather than how to do it, so I’ll have to pick it up again if/when I actually pass.

Hahaha, I don’t know anyone who’s ever had to do RRC in everyday life :rofl:. I hate bay parking. At our school people always park on the double yellows, they probably hate it as much as me haha

Good it's going well for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Awww!! Hopefully you get the ones you want, try and stay positive (rich coming from me LOL!))
    I failed, see above :P:

ReputationRep:
    Parallel park is not my best, infact neither is RRC! Sometimes I can do them great, other times..not so. I know i'm likely to mess up on the day :|

ReputationRep:
    I failed, see above :P:
    Awwwww no!!! Awww I'm sorry!

The second sounds really harsh! I know it's still upsetting to fail, but at least it's only just, not like you've racked up 10 majors or something, stay confident and keep practicing . I really hope you pass next time!!!

Sorry about that post earlier, TSR is so annoying and I messed up my unread posts :mad: :mad: :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    I failed again!

I had the stupid nasty instructor again who failed me last time.

This time I feel a bit better as it wasn't the technique of my driving that was wrong, it was just two bad judgements (well one, read on)

The first was at a roundabout. There was a car coming across from my left that would have blocked those on my right, so I went for it, but the car was too small and it meant it had already cleared the people on my right by the time I got moving, so a lady pulled out slightly after me. I knew it was my fault.

Second one I really do not agree with him for. There was a narrow road with parked cars on either side, and I pulled in to let a lady pass at exactly the same moment she pulled in to let me pass. The obstruction was on both sides so it was no ones right of way, but she was coming up hill, so I thought that I would let her go, but she didn't move. So I moved, and at the same time she did so too. So then we both stopped and she waved me on and I went. He gave me a major because he said I should have just gone in the first place but I still think it was her right of way because she was coming uphill. grr.
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. I was lucky to get nice examiners on both of my tests and I feel it makes all the difference.

That second reason does sound quite harsh. My friend was failed for a similar reason. It's not fair... I'd have done the same as you. It seems really silly that the judgements of other drivers can have a knock-on affect on you.

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back from my driving lesson and i'm so proud of myself i managed to do a parallel park perfectly, not once, but twice!!
    That is the only manouvre i've had trouble with really, and im glad i've got it :tongue:

But i then preceeded to almost crash into a bus... argh, but it wasnt my fault that the bus just pulled out in front of me, though it made me sooo nervous and start shaking slightly that i messed up quite a bit after that :mad:
    grr. I keep making silly mistakes though, and i know they are wrong even when i'm doing them, such as not changing gear to 1st when turning corners, not checking blind spots when reversing or checking back mirror after turning into a new road.

I've had about 24 lessons so far and still making these silly mistakes, so my confidence is going a bit, i'm debating going on a break from driving atm to focus on my studies and continue after my degree. Thats only about 2 months away lol. Has anyone else here taken a break from driving and then gone back again? How long did it take you to catch up again?
    I took a break of...3 years. When I started driving again recently only took me one 2 hour lesson to get back into the swing of things. You never forget how to drive. You might forget how to do manouvers, but not actual driving controls and stuff. If I could do it all after 3 years I'm sure you'll be fine after 2 months!

ReputationRep:
    I failed again!

This time I feel a bit better as it wasn't the technique of my driving that was wrong, it was just two bad judgements (well one, read on)

The first was at a roundabout. There was a car coming across from my left that would have blocked those on my right, so I went for it, but the car was too small and it meant it had already cleared the people on my right by the time I got moving, so a lady pulled out slightly after me. I knew it was my fault.

Second one I really do not agree with him for. There was a narrow road with parked cars on either side, and I pulled in to let a lady pass at exactly the same moment she pulled in to let me pass. The obstruction was on both sides so it was no ones right of way, but she was coming up hill, so I thought that I would let her go, but she didn't move. So I moved, and at the same time she did so too. So then we both stopped and she waved me on and I went. He gave me a major because he said I should have just gone in the first place but I still think it was her right of way because she was coming uphill. grr.
    Unlucky...sorry to hear it. I'm still feeling the bitterness of my failure last week so I know how you feel!

Well at least you're still optimistic, I have a sinking feeling that I may never pass cos I always seem to do something wrong even when I think I've done everything right.

ReputationRep:
    I failed again!

Wow, that sucks. I have mine tomorrow (second test) and it's at 3pm so I'm really worried the roundabout will be busy because I know I'll f*** up - I never know which lane to go in on some of them, because he's like "pull over as soon as you get here so you don't block people on the right in" but I've suddenly forgotten which roundabouts they are (there's like 10 near me ).

Also, I wish people would actually indicate :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I know this probably sounds silly..but what do you mean by 'blocking people on the right in' ...I always hate roundabouts too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondlad)
    I know this probably sounds silly..but what do you mean by 'blocking people on the right in' ...I always hate roundabouts too!
    I think (this is why I'm worried about tomorrow lol) it means cutting over to the inside lane so the cars in that lane have no where to go and need to slow down until you go into another lane

ReputationRep:

OMG I thought i was the only one who had this experience...1st of all dont stop carry on and focus as much time as you can on driving... to answer your q. i took quite a bit of a gap in driving and when i went back i was a little bit rusty.. its expected becasue naturally youve got to adjust yourself soo carry on till you feel confident enough to do your practical

2nd I too keep making silly mistakes like turning into a road in 3rd or not signally properly at roudnabouts ive taken about 30 lessons so far. i had another instructor before but changed cuz ihe was teaching me properly i also took a massive break from driving because at the time i was doing my Alevels ... but now im back and I find reverse around the conrer sooo difficult i can just hear my instructor now "full lock to the left...straighten up your wheels" howww? i scream :redface: i quite like 3 point tunr tho i guess when you get something you start to enjoy it i hope i get good enough with reverse around a corner oh well i know ill get it soon.
    at least i feel im not alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooieENG)
    I think (this is why I'm worried about tomorrow lol) it means cutting over to the inside lane so the cars in that lane have no where to go and need to slow down until you go into another lane
    If its a three exit roundabout, you've got peple on your left and people on your right. So if someone on your left wants to turn down the same road as you they are going to come across the path of everyone on your right. Whilst they are crossing in front of them you have time to go because those people are blocked and cannot move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaraEng*)

2nd I too keep making silly mistakes like turning into a road in 3rd or not signally properly at roudnabouts ive taken about 30 lessons so far. i had another instructor before but changed cuz ihe was teaching me properly i also took a massive break from driving because at the time i was doing my Alevels ... but now im back and I find reverse around the conrer sooo difficult i can just hear my instructor now "full lock to the left...straighten up your wheels" howww? i scream :redface: i quite like 3 point tunr tho i guess when you get something you start to enjoy it i hope i get good enough with reverse around a corner oh well i know ill get it soon.
    at least i feel im not alone
    Silly mistakes are becoming my signature action :mad: It's brought on by anxiety for me, the place where I'm doing my test has a massive roundabout with about 100 lanes when you first come into it and I'm pretty sure I can hear my own heartbeat when I'm doing it. I can hear my instructor saying "Lift the CLUTCH!" when I'm coming down gears. Driving lessons feel more like a chore now, as I'm so scared of messing up constantly and being criticised when I should know better as I've been a learner for ages.
    I like the three point turn as well, but the rest of my maneuvers are pretty awful. I did manage a PP the other week. I was waiting to hear how I'd done wrong but she said it was fine, so I was kind of relieved.
    Test on the 23rd April! Gah! I remember a lot of people had there's around that time if I'm correct

ReputationRep:
    Had second lesson today, took a lot of left n right turns, from minor road to major and vice versa...tried third gear as well...

ReputationRep:
    If its a three exit roundabout, you've got peple on your left and people on your right. So if someone on your left wants to turn down the same road as you they are going to come across the path of everyone on your right. Whilst they are crossing in front of them you have time to go because those people are blocked and cannot move.
    I see. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepperoni)
    Silly mistakes are becoming my signature action :mad: It's brought on by anxiety for me, the place where I'm doing my test has a massive roundabout with about 100 lanes when you first come into it and I'm pretty sure I can hear my own heartbeat when I'm doing it. I can hear my instructor saying "Lift the CLUTCH!" when I'm coming down gears. Driving lessons feel more like a chore now, as I'm so scared of messing up constantly and being criticised when I should know better as I've been a learner for ages.
    I like the three point turn as well, but the rest of my maneuvers are pretty awful. I did manage a PP the other week. I was waiting to hear how I'd done wrong but she said it was fine, so I was kind of relieved.
    Test on the 23rd April! Gah! I remember a lot of people had there's around that time if I'm correct
    Good luck you will do fine! My test is literally a few days before yours, in the easter holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Got my test in an hour (well, the lesson before my test). Is there anything I could/should do now before? I've had something to eat and been taking Kalms but I'm still way more nervous than the first time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooieENG)
    Got my test in an hour (well, the lesson before my test). Is there anything I could/should do now before? I've had something to eat and been taking Kalms but I'm still way more nervous than the first time
    Good luck . Other than trying to keep calm and make sure you have something to eat/drink (but not too much!) there's not much you can do.

Hope you pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Good luck . Other than trying to keep calm and make sure you have something to eat/drink (but not too much!) there's not much you can do.

Hope you pass!
    Thanks!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.