The Learner driver progression thread Watch

k823127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Scrapped the idea of a mock test as i'm kinda ill today but made me do an emergency stop which was fine, but shook me up and the following junction i got there handbrake on and forgot TOTALLY what to do. I was like oh god.

Did a few pparks and left reverse which both didn't go great, but am apparently the queen of tir. Apart from that it was okay and he said that i am a very good driver considering ive only had 26 hours with no extra practice.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
You're nervous, it brings down your level of skill. How you did today and your last lesson is no indication of how you really drive. I know you can drive well and you can pass... let's just hope we get some really good luck and have no drivers that ruin our tests.

I'm trying to convince my Dad to take me out just general driving I just hope it helps!
:rofl:, me & "level of skill" in one sentance!? :p:. I see what you mean, but if I drive as awfully as I have the last few times in my test I'll fail...... I might be good or whatever but if I can't pass the annoying test :cry: :banghead:

Haha awww, hopefully he does! Hopefully it's helpful too! Good luck on Monday! I'm not going out on Sunday, partly because I don't want to swap cars, but partly because of what's going to happen tomorrow, won't really be in the best state :p: :rolleyes:

(Original post by k823127)
Scrapped the idea of a mock test as i'm kinda ill today but made me do an emergency stop which was fine, but shook me up and the following junction i got there handbrake on and forgot TOTALLY what to do. I was like oh god.

Did a few pparks and left reverse which both didn't go great, but am apparently the queen of tir. Apart from that it was okay and he said that i am a very good driver considering ive only had 26 hours with no extra practice.
Yea I've had that before, like oh god what do I do now, it's really strange.

Good that you're doing well

(Original post by *Mike*)
Driving test on Monday and I failed my mock test earlier this week. This could be interesting :p:
Good luck for Monday, hope you do well too! And don't worry I failed 2 mock tests :rofl:
AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
:rofl:, me & "level of skill" in one sentance!? :p:. I see what you mean, but if I drive as awfully as I have the last few times in my test I'll fail...... I might be good or whatever but if I can't pass the annoying test :cry: :banghead:

Haha awww, hopefully he does! Hopefully it's helpful too! Good luck on Monday! I'm not going out on Sunday, partly because I don't want to swap cars, but partly because of what's going to happen tomorrow, won't really be in the best state :p: :rolleyes:
What's gonna happen tomorrow?

I just want as much practice as I possibly can. It's annoying as I know I'm a good driver, I just can't get through the bloody test. Plus, it's a fact that you learn much more once you've passed and driving alone.

Driving test on Monday and I failed my mock test earlier this week. This could be interesting :p:
Oooh, what time :tongue: Maybe it's at the same time as mine!
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What's gonna happen tomorrow?

I just want as much practice as I possibly can. It's annoying as I know I'm a good driver, I just can't get through the bloody test. Plus, it's a fact that you learn much more once you've passed and driving alone.

Seeing a friend, but it involves alcohol, so I better not drive Sunday lol! I'll be banned before I've even passed! :rofl:

Yea know what you mean, and I bet you are a good driver, but yea the test is very annoying. Obviously they need some kind of test, but plenty of good drivers fail and plenty of idiots pass, so there is something wrong with it
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Seeing a friend, but it involves alcohol, so I better not drive Sunday lol! I'll be banned before I've even passed! :rofl:

Yea know what you mean, and I bet you are a good driver, but yea the test is very annoying. Obviously they need some kind of test, but plenty of good drivers fail and plenty of idiots pass, so there is something wrong with it
A girl at my school passed with RRC and TIR and she came to school the next day and got someone else to park for her as she didn't know how to park, whereas another girl is a terrible driver. Everything she does is wrong.

It's frustrating to see things like that. They just got a lot of luck.
*Mike*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
2:32, apparently those 2 minutes make a difference :p:

Good luck
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
2:32, apparently those 2 minutes make a difference :p:

Good luck
11:41 :tongue: 1 minute for me! You too!
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A girl at my school passed with RRC and TIR and she came to school the next day and got someone else to park for her as she didn't know how to park, whereas another girl is a terrible driver. Everything she does is wrong.

I'm glad I know I can do all of the manoeuvres okay. In my first test I had parallel parking and reversing round a corner- got no minors for them. In my second I had parallel parking and turn in the road- also got no minors.

Although, I didn't have bay park but that's good because my test centre has the smallest car park known to man. But... I could always do it in my instructors car... and I'll never know if I actually can since I probably won't get a car for at least 3 years. It's going to be weird not driving for that amount of time.
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rennie)
I'm glad I know I can do all of the manoeuvres okay. In my first test I had parallel parking and reversing round a corner- got no minors for them. In my second I had parallel parking and turn in the road- also got no minors.

Although, I didn't have bay park but that's good because my test centre has the smallest car park known to man. But... I could always do it in my instructors car... and I'll never know if I actually can since I probably won't get a car for at least 3 years. It's going to be weird not driving for that amount of time.

That sucks! Does anyone you know have a car you can use from time to time? Maybe you could have a lesson with your instructor every few months just to practice.
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That sucks! Does anyone you know have a car you can use from time to time? Maybe you could have a lesson with your instructor every few months just to practice.
No one has a car that would let me be insured on it, no. I mean, one of my friends has a car but I wouldn't legally be allowed to drive it.

My dad doesn't have a car- he has a motorbike and refused to switch it for a car. My stepdad does but he'd never let me drive it... plus he and my mum live far away. My grandparents have 3 cars but also live far away... and they'd never insure me.

I have an older brother and sister of 20 and 26 but neither have ever had driving lessons let alone have cars.

It sucks rather a lot.
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No one has a car that would let me be insured on it, no. I mean, one of my friends has a car but I wouldn't legally be allowed to drive it.

My dad doesn't have a car- he has a motorbike and refused to switch it for a car. My stepdad does but he'd never let me drive it... plus he and my mum live far away. My grandparents have 3 cars but also live far away... and they'd never insure me.

I have an older brother and sister of 20 and 26 but neither have ever had driving lessons let alone have cars.

It sucks rather a lot.
Wow... that does suck. I'm really sorry But at least you know that when the time comes, you can head off and drive.
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow... that does suck. I'm really sorry But at least you know that when the time comes, you can head off and drive.
Indeed. Provided I still remember how.

My dad doesn't understand. He says 'oh, you'll never forget'... but without the experience of the first few months of driving I probably will. He had a car as soon as he passed, and so did my mum... so neither of them really get my situation. Although, my mum keeps saying she reckons I'll forget how and probably never drive.
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
11:41 :tongue: 1 minute for me! You too!
13.08...8 minutes for me.. :p:
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)
13.08...8 minutes for me.. :p:
Oooh, that's three so far!

Technically you could be 2 minutes early. :tongue:

Wow, so we literally have our tests after each other, plus or minus an hour.
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oooh, that's three so far!

Technically you could be 2 minutes early. :tongue:

Wow, so we literally have our tests after each other, plus or minus an hour.
Yours on Friday..?
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yours on Friday..?
Oooh, scratch that... still two. I thought yours was on Monday too! :p:

How are you feeling about it?
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oooh, scratch that... still two. I thought yours was on Monday too! :p:

How are you feeling about it?
Bricking it...time has flown by...unlike my theory test countdown that kind dragged...

Got a lesson on Sunday, then Monday, and then one before the test on Friday...

How you feeling about yours..?

AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bricking it...time has flown by...unlike my theory test countdown that kind dragged...

Got a lesson on Sunday, then Monday, and then one before the test on Friday...

How you feeling about yours..?

Getting a little more nervous. I don't want to fail again as it's the tim inbetween tests that gets frustrating. I know I can drive but it's little mistakes that get me, and I hate when people ask "Have you passed yet?".
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Yea I see what you mean, it is really, I know a lot of people who passed and it’s like how the hell did you pass, then others failed like 3 or 4 tests and they are very good drivers.

A lot of it is luck really, I mean people should be good enough to do any manoeuvre and any test route etc, but that's never going to happen, so theres a lot of luck as to which 2 you are asked to do, even which route they take you on. For example coming out of the test centre I can turn right or left. If we turn left I'll feel a hell of a lot more confident, if we go right it will mean hicksgate. Hicksgate = fail. Although there is a filter lane which would come into play for a few of the test routes (going left at hicksgate rather than straight on back towards Bath), so I could still pray I get that, but if I have to go straight on then oh dear!

So yea I mean I COULD pass, but a hell of a lot would have to go my way. A route I want (don’t really care which, don’t know most of them, as long as they don’t involve hicksgate or any hellish junctions) and would need to get Turn in road & parallel park. The problem is bay parking is very likely at 8:40 because of the traffic . If he gives it to me first!! :cry: I don’t even think I would be able to concentrate for the rest of it if I knew I had failed already (cutting into another bay for example), if I managed to get in the bay then I’d cling onto the hope that it was ok, but if I have it first it will really throw me whatever happens

My dad doesn't understand. He says 'oh, you'll never forget'... but without the experience of the first few months of driving I probably will. He had a car as soon as he passed, and so did my mum... so neither of them really get my situation. Although, my mum keeps saying she reckons I'll forget how and probably never drive.
You won't forget but it will take you a while to get back into it again, but just drive about in an empty car park or something! I'm like you too, I won't get a car for a few years (unless I shockingly pass on Wednesday, if I don't it's too late) at least. I'm only doing it because my job will need it

Getting a little more nervous. I don't want to fail again as it's the tim inbetween tests that gets frustrating. I know I can drive but it's little mistakes that get me, and I hate when people ask "Have you passed yet?".
You'll be fine Yea it's so annoying when people ask that :banghead:
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Woah... way too much to quote, Zack

It's the same where I live. The routes are amazing as there's no bus lanes, no major junctions, no dual carriagways... the only thing is, its hella hilly! Lot's of hill starts! So it's hard to do the maneuvers.

The thing is, people look at me when I say this is my 4th and you can see they think it's funny and that I'm a terrible driver, yet there are people who've passed who are terrible.

Sorry, missed it before :redface:

I have that problem. I once didn't drive for over a month and when I got back I was so rusty and had a lot of trouble with the maneuvers. Plus, I never could ride a bike!

I think it's different for each person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (51)
26.7%
No (140)
73.3%

Watched Threads