The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

AwesomelyPsycho
Getting a little more nervous. I don't want to fail again as it's the tim inbetween tests that gets frustrating. I know I can drive but it's little mistakes that get me, and I hate when people ask "Have you passed yet?".

I'm sure you will be fine! It's I, the first timer who should be worried then!! Arrrgggghhhhh!! :redface:
Well..AwesomelyPsycho..I think I agree with just about everything you've said. I keep getting the 'have you passed yet?' question and see that look on people's faces as if its terrible to not have passed first or second time or whatever..and like you say, so many people pass 1st time who are awful..unfortunately,the chav population springs to mind here :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 6482
AwesomelyPsycho
Woah... way too much to quote, Zack :biggrin:

It's the same where I live. The routes are amazing as there's no bus lanes, no major junctions, no dual carriagways... the only thing is, its hella hilly! Lot's of hill starts! So it's hard to do the maneuvers.

The thing is, people look at me when I say this is my 4th and you can see they think it's funny and that I'm a terrible driver, yet there are people who've passed who are terrible.

Sorry, missed it before :redface:

I have that problem. I once didn't drive for over a month and when I got back I was so rusty and had a lot of trouble with the maneuvers. Plus, I never could ride a bike! :biggrin:

I think it's different for each person.

Wow, where do you live, I wanna do it there, anything to get away from Hicksgate :rofl:

Yea exactly it's stupid thinking you must pass first time or your crap, but that's the attitude so many people have, and so people taking their test really want to pass first time, when in the end it doesn't really matter if you do or not (other than money)

I think it will be different for everyone, but shouldn't "forget" all these hours, just might need reminding of the correct procedure etc. I know some places do refresher lessons which I guess are a lot more fun, because you haven't got a test coming up and you are in complete control, if it's crap you just don't have to have another one, with lessons you are kind of restricted as you have to have some with somebody and if, like me, there is something you are awful at then it doesn't matter which instructor you have you're still going to get told your awful at it
AwesomelyPsycho
Woah... way too much to quote, Zack :biggrin:

It's the same where I live. The routes are amazing as there's no bus lanes, no major junctions, no dual carriagways... the only thing is, its hella hilly! Lot's of hill starts! So it's hard to do the maneuvers.

The thing is, people look at me when I say this is my 4th and you can see they think it's funny and that I'm a terrible driver, yet there are people who've passed who are terrible.

Sorry, missed it before :redface:

I have that problem. I once didn't drive for over a month and when I got back I was so rusty and had a lot of trouble with the maneuvers. Plus, I never could ride a bike! :biggrin:

I think it's different for each person.

Your neck of the wood sounds ideal! Whereas where I am learning and having my test is full of junction and roundabouts, like every other second, not good!! :redface:
Reply 6484
Original post by G&#949
Your neck of the wood sounds ideal! Whereas where I am learning and having my test is full of junction and roundabouts, like every other second, not good!! :redface:

We have a lot of roundabouts and junctions too. But, it's also hilly in some areas so have the problem of hill starts as well! It was a roundabout that failed me first time. I also went on a dual carriageway in both of my tests but that wasn't a problem.

We don't really have bus lanes around here, though. I think there are some but I didn't encounter any.
Zack

Loughton :tongue: Kind of awhile away for you!

I think it's funny that most people say they're gonna do pass plus, they pass and then they say that they just can't be bothered... they have the license and that's all they need!

Original post by G&#949

It sounds like Goodmayes or Wanstead, near where I am. They have the nicest examiners, but the area is hell!

Where are you having your test?

Rennie
We have a lot of roundabouts and junctions too. But, it's also hilly in some areas so have the problem of hill starts as well! It was a roundabout that failed me first time. I also went on a dual carriageway in both of my tests but that wasn't a problem.

We don't really have bus lanes around here, though. I think there are some but I didn't encounter any.

Where did you have your test? :smile:
My Mum just rang me and said she's bought me a 2004, Peugeot 106!! I love her :smile:
Hey all, just booked my theory test for a couple of weeks time, what DVDs and stuff did people use to practice, especially hazard perception
Reply 6488
got my first test on FRIDAY!
Doing it in Manchester...
too many crazy drivers here :p:
Had my mock yesterday and failed with 4 minors and a major :| not good.
Anyone else done theirs in Manchester? Specifically Whalley Range? :p:
AwesomelyPsycho

I think it's funny that most people say they're gonna do pass plus, they pass and then they say that they just can't be bothered... they have the license and that's all they need!

It sounds like Goodmayes or Wanstead, near where I am. They have the nicest examiners, but the area is hell!

Where are you having your test?

Where did you have your test? :smile:

Having my test in Basingstoke...absolutely bricking it now!!

wizard710
Hey all, just booked my theory test for a couple of weeks time, what DVDs and stuff did people use to practice, especially hazard perception

GOOD LUCK!! :smile: I used my learning companies resources...and various online sites that gave clips..google it..

TI-84

Best of luck! Got mine on Friday too!! Proper worried!! :redface: What time is yours..?
Reply 6490
Original post by G&#949
Having my test in Basingstoke...absolutely bricking it now!!

GOOD LUCK!! :smile: I used my learning companies resources...and various online sites that gave clips..google it..

Best of luck! Got mine on Friday too!! Proper worried!! :redface: What time is yours..?

12:33.
interesting time :p:
Do you reckon your fully prepared?
I'm really hoping they dont make me do a left reverse...I'm god awful at them for some reason :redface:
Reply 6491
AwesomelyPsycho

Heh, where's that? :p: :confused:

Hahaha, so true!

k823127
My Mum just rang me and said she's bought me a 2004, Peugeot 106!! I love her :smile:

Wow, that's so nice!! :woo:

wizard710

Good luck with theory :smile:

Ummm I used the one with lots of Hazard stuff included....and failed..... It's supposed to be really good though......

TI-84

Original post by G&#949

Good luck to both of you on Friday! :smile:
Zack

In Essex :tongue:

Good luck to everyone!

It's getting sooo annoying to quote :smile:

I used the normal yearly hazard perception DVD and manual. I read the manual once, tried the questions on the computer a few times, then just focused on hazard perception as it's the hardest!
Reply 6493
AwesomelyPsycho
In Essex :tongue:

Good luck to everyone!

It's getting sooo annoying to quote :smile:

I used the normal yearly hazard perception DVD and manual. I read the manual once, tried the questions on the computer a few times, then just focused on hazard perception as it's the hardest!

Haha, not too far then! :p: :rofl:

Mine was called Driving Test Success, it's still installed on my computer.

Just thinking about all the manoeuvres. I think I would actually prefer Bay Park to Reverse Round corner after my last 3 or 4 RRC "attempts" have been shambolic......

Good luck for tomorrow, you'll be fine! :smile:
TI-84
12:33.
interesting time :p:
Do you reckon your fully prepared?
I'm really hoping they dont make me do a left reverse...I'm god awful at them for some reason :redface:

Nop, not ready for it alll... :redface: :frown:

Zack

Hahaha, so true!

Wow, that's so nice!! :woo:

Good luck with theory :smile:

Ummm I used the one with lots of Hazard stuff included....and failed..... It's supposed to be really good though......

Good luck to both of you on Friday! :smile:

Cheers Zack! likewise for you too, but im sure you will be fine compared to me!! :smile:
Reply 6495
Zack
Haha, not too far then! :p: :rofl:

Mine was called Driving Test Success, it's still installed on my computer.

Just thinking about all the manoeuvres. I think I would actually prefer Bay Park to Reverse Round corner after my last 3 or 4 RRC "attempts" have been shambolic......

Good luck for tomorrow, you'll be fine! :smile:

I had the same DVD. Although, I just recently let my friend borrow it because I think she has her theory soon.

RRC is my favourite but I'm not that good at bay park... I was okay at all of them except bay park... or parallel park in my road. Apparently everyone has problems with it in my road. I could parallel park anywhere but in my road.... and it's on the test route. Luckily I didn't go there, though.
Reply 6496
Original post by G&#949
Nop, not ready for it alll... :redface: :frown:

Cheers Zack! likewise for you too, but im sure you will be fine compared to me!! :smile:

Aww, don't worry you're not the only one who feels like that! I can pass if it's a very good (lucky!) day and I get the manoeuvres I want, I get a test route going into Bristol etc, but the chances of even getting my 2 manoeuvres, at that time, are unlikely. My mate thinks they won't make me do RRC at that time in the morning as the routes (if it's a Bristol one anyway) are packed and it would take hours, whereas with parallel park you can complete it if you have got yourself into position, and with turn in road you complete the stage you're on, obviously for bay park the test centre isn't as packed which I agree with and hope it turns out like that!!

One thing I was wondering, is that if they make me do bay park first of all, or I get 2 other manoeuvres while out on the test, what happens at the end? Do I just pull up somewhere in the test centre car park like in the middle, then when the debrief is done your instructor moves it, or do I actually go into a bay? If (shockingly!) I actually pass it (by doing 2 manoeuvres previously) but then mess up going into the bay they couldn't take the pass off me could they? :confused:. That's why I have a feeling Bay Park will be the final one though :frown:

Rennie
I had the same DVD. Although, I just recently let my friend borrow it because I think she has her theory soon.

RRC is my favourite but I'm not that good at bay park... I was okay at all of them except bay park... or parallel park in my road. Apparently everyone has problems with it in my road. I could parallel park anywhere but in my road.... and it's on the test route. Luckily I didn't go there, though.

Yea my friend has a theory this week, I said I would give it to her but she said don't worry and brought one anyway so I've been using it to look at the exam sections. I'm so going to get a minor for show me/tell me. Oh well.....
Reply 6497
Zack

One thing I was wondering, is that if they make me do bay park first of all, or I get 2 other manoeuvres while out on the test, what happens at the end? Do I just pull up somewhere in the test centre car park like in the middle, then when the debrief is done your instructor moves it, or do I actually go into a bay? If (shockingly!) I actually pass it (by doing 2 manoeuvres previously) but then mess up going into the bay they couldn't take the pass off me could they? :confused:. That's why I have a feeling Bay Park will be the final one though :frown:

Yea my friend has a theory this week, I said I would give it to her but she said don't worry and brought one anyway so I've been using it to look at the exam sections. I'm so going to get a minor for show me/tell me. Oh well.....

They made me do RRC near a school at home time. Kids were everywhere... it took ages. But, sometimes that's a good thing.

However you park at the end, provided it's not a manoeuvre makes no difference. Here we only ever get bay park first so you can't get it at the end. On my first test I ended parked in the middle of the car park where there are no bays... the car park is tiny and the last people always just randomly sit anywhere.

On my second test the guy told me to just park anywhere- I was second back. I attempted to sort of get in a bay but it was pretty wonky I thought. I thought about correcting it but the examiner just told me to leave it. They really couldn't care less.

As soon as I pulled into the car park the examiner started to ask me how I thought I'd done. My instructor jumped straight into the car. I don't know if all people do that, but mine did and all the ones around me did too. I then got a bit of a de-brief... but my instructor was there for that both times. Although, they do ask if it's okay for your instructor to be there.

I doubt you'll get a minor for show me, tell me either. On my first test he asked me two questions and wasn't too bothered about the answers. On my second test I got one 'tell me' before I got into the car and that was it. They don't seem too concerned with the questions at all- especially since I only got one the second time!

Don't worry so much, they explain it all to you and it's not really so bad. Good luck! :biggrin:
good luck this coming week all you lot with your tests!
xx
Reply 6499
Thanks Alexa :smile:

Rennie
They made me do RRC near a school at home time. Kids were everywhere... it took ages. But, sometimes that's a good thing.

However you park at the end, provided it's not a manoeuvre makes no difference. Here we only ever get bay park first so you can't get it at the end. On my first test I ended parked in the middle of the car park where there are no bays... the car park is tiny and the last people always just randomly sit anywhere.

On my second test the guy told me to just park anywhere- I was second back. I attempted to sort of get in a bay but it was pretty wonky I thought. I thought about correcting it but the examiner just told me to leave it. They really couldn't care less.

As soon as I pulled into the car park the examiner started to ask me how I thought I'd done. My instructor jumped straight into the car. I don't know if all people do that, but mine did and all the ones around me did too. I then got a bit of a de-brief... but my instructor was there for that both times. Although, they do ask if it's okay for your instructor to be there.

I doubt you'll get a minor for show me, tell me either. On my first test he asked me two questions and wasn't too bothered about the answers. On my second test I got one 'tell me' before I got into the car and that was it. They don't seem too concerned with the questions at all- especially since I only got one the second time!

Don't worry so much, they explain it all to you and it's not really so bad. Good luck! :biggrin:

Oh yea I remember seeing that, that's harsh! Bristol is terrible though so I doubt we'll get round the route in 40 mins if we drove straight through, so stopping for manouveres is going to be a push. The lights going back to the test centre (if we are coming back from the way I want to go anyway) let like 2 or 3 cars through at a time, and if people aren't ready sometimes it's only one! So have to give at least 5 mins for that in the morning

Thanks, I'll just have a go but mess it up, oh well! :rofl:

Yea they have to ask your permission because of laws and stuff but obviously 99.9% of people will say yes so the instructors just jump straight in there

Haha well if we do under the bonnet stuff I am in trouble, apart from windscreen washer I don't know what most of it is so just say a random thing, and my instructor just looks at me and is like ".......no" :p:. Obviously I would rather not have the minor, but I can see myself getting about 40 and/or a load of majors so it won't matter either way

Thanks :smile:. I don't mind taking the test again, it's the 2 hour lessons in between which are annoying, and people saying why haven't you passed yet X passed in 15 lessons and all this :mad: :banghead:

Quick Reply

Latest