The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
kitty_koo
:eek: got a driving lesson tomorrow and i'll be doing roundabouts properly :s: i hate roundabouts :redface:

Just think of it as a circular junction ;yes; cept we're all going the same way :p:
i didnt do roundabouts properly today- thats next week :afraid: i just practised my left and right turns again today :p: and it went really well ;yay; apart from the one time i clipped the kerb when doing a left turn :redface: :ninja:
Reply 642
i clipped the kerb doing a left turn today too :frown: after like 30 lesssons....arrrrrrrgh!
Reply 643
I felt a teeny bit down about drivign today but these two vids cheered me up no end
:^_^: their the best haha make me feel pro!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUhkeZzUqxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUlSDSzW3sw&mode=related&search=
Must be an unlucky day. I just had such a bad lesson, I must of hit the kerb at least 4 times. =(

Although I did go into 5th gear at 60mph. =o Really scary.
Got my first lesson today with my new ADI. Not a clue what he's like or what car he drives lol. Hopefully he'll help me snag my PP's and RRC's. I'll report back after 4pm hehe.
Reply 646
Ilora-Danon
Got my first lesson today with my new ADI. Not a clue what he's like or what car he drives lol. Hopefully he'll help me snag my PP's and RRC's. I'll report back after 4pm hehe.

cool stuff!
uuuugh paralell parks are the bane of my freaking existence:frown:.
I know!! I'm either on the kerb, or too far away from the kerb. I can never get it right. I suck at judging when the ends of the cars are level.
Reply 648
Ilora-Danon
I know!! I'm either on the kerb, or too far away from the kerb. I can never get it right. I suck at judging when the ends of the cars are level.

omg complete :ditto: but after a third time lucky bay park yesterday guess what :redface: I did RRC first time perfectly, my instructor was literally laughing in shock...I haven't managed to do it in WEEKS . Paralell park I'm SO bad at judging and I get nervous cus he made me do it in a fairly busy road as well :redface: and then I panciked and swung the car out to the left and almost hit the car!:eek4: the instrucoter didnt' even notice it was so fast and I slammed on my brakes. Gaaah scary! Then I did ti with this quite big car, like nearly people carrier size,. very confusing so need to kinda be a fair way back before turning and being level! Annnnnoying. Getting a bit better though....he said the most annoyng thing was my driving is almsot test standard too but oh well! these things are important :smile:
I feel bad when I do stupid things in his car like crunching the gearbox etc by accident cus he uses that car for his own use, instruction and everything so feel guilty!
Yeah same here.. my driving's test standard, yet my maneouvres are my sticking point. If I can get my head around them, I'll be ready for my test. I'm just so bored of it all now, I just want my license so I can actually LEARN to DRIVE rather than learn to pass.
Reply 650
Ilora-Danon
Yeah same here.. my driving's test standard, yet my maneouvres are my sticking point. If I can get my head around them, I'll be ready for my test. I'm just so bored of it all now, I just want my license so I can actually LEARN to DRIVE rather than learn to pass.

yeah the driving is suuuuuch a drag now, it's like gosh...I know how to do this already. Tbh though it may be taken people like us longer but we'er not only just learning to pass but learning to drive because we're learning through our mistakes and all that jazz and experiencing different stuff because we've been wtih ADI's longer etc. My focus is not how quick I pass but how I am capable of controlling a car
Well had my lesson. It was, interesting! It was very strange after 30 lessons, being driven BY my instructor haha. Quite a backward step...

However, he did say I'm 'quite a good little driver' and that I'll be in for my test before Xmas. Which sounds rather hopeful hehe.
Driving test been put back to 29th November! Instructor said he doesn’t think I will be ready by the 5th :frown: at least then ill be well prepared :smile:
Reply 653
Ilora-Danon
Well had my lesson. It was, interesting! It was very strange after 30 lessons, being driven BY my instructor haha. Quite a backward step...

However, he did say I'm 'quite a good little driver' and that I'll be in for my test before Xmas. Which sounds rather hopeful hehe.

thats cool :biggrin::biggrin: so a good ADI then?
Did my first turn in the road manover today.
Nailed it and managed to do 4 in a row! (Well you get what i mean!)
My instructor said it was one of 'the best turns he had a kid of his do' so yeh...pleased :smile:
Had my 7th lesson today, and shock horror! Had my best one yet!

We focussed on my clutch control and getting it more smoother. We spent the first half an hour just driving round and it was perfect. I only made about 2-3 errors and it felt a smooth lesson. Ive figured out on finding the bite and setting off smoothly. IMO, anyone else think about finding the bite by looking at the dashboard? When youre on the acceleration and the dashboard signal's up and as soon as you've got the bite, it goes down. I think thats what Im gna do to getting the bite.

My instructor says we're going to start doing manueveres, turning into roads, perfecting that. Im pleased, its helped with my confidence, knowing my luck, Ill probably ave an awful lesson next time, hpe not!

I had my lesson at 7.45am, luckily I was awake after closing my fast. My instructor said the reason for having a good lesson may have been due to the early time of the lesson. He said having it early morning means you dont dwell or think about it as much, but if you had it later on in the day, it be's on your mind?

Anyways, pleased with my best lesson yet!

:biggrin:
Reply 656
Hey guys, just a quick question. I've done about 10 hours with my driving instructor, but we haven't even gone outside of my village yet. My friend had her first lesson yesterday and she drove about 3 miles away! I'm just wondering whether my guy's just trying to make his money's worth out of me. I mean after 10 hours I haven't done any manouevres yet, haven't reversed, haven't done roundabouts. I mean really all I've done is moving in and out, slight hill starts, junctions (major to minor, minor to major) etc, and meeting situations.

Do you reckon it'd be worth changing instructors if he's gonna try and hold me back?? That's if that's what he is trying to do. Don't suppose you have any thoughts?
Lilian
thats cool :biggrin::biggrin: so a good ADI then?
I'm sure he is yeah... although he does make me SO nervous, and I've never been a nervous driver in my life. He kinda scrutinizes every little thing I do.

I'm currently looking for a female automatic ADI. Lol. 5th time lucky?
St. Chris
Hey guys, just a quick question. I've done about 10 hours with my driving instructor, but we haven't even gone outside of my village yet. My friend had her first lesson yesterday and she drove about 3 miles away! I'm just wondering whether my guy's just trying to make his money's worth out of me. I mean after 10 hours I haven't done any manouevres yet, haven't reversed, haven't done roundabouts. I mean really all I've done is moving in and out, slight hill starts, junctions (major to minor, minor to major) etc, and meeting situations.

Do you reckon it'd be worth changing instructors if he's gonna try and hold me back?? That's if that's what he is trying to do. Don't suppose you have any thoughts?

Hmm, I'm quite surprised you haven't started roundabouts yet, or gone on faster roads outside of your village. I recommend you ask him how fast you're progressing, when you'll be starting manouvres etc - he should be able to give you a straight answer. If he says something ridiculous like, "you'll need 10 more hours", then you should obviously change instructors.
Reply 659
****ing person turning RIGHT in the left hand roundabout
****ING ******

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending