The Learner driver progression thread Watch

DDDenniZZZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm, about 10 lessons, ready for test in 2 weeks. Never really got taught the basics, only taught maneuvers. Should be fine, instructor says I'm ready.

What do you guys think is the hardest maneuver?
Elegant Elephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DDDenniZZZ)
Hmm, about 10 lessons, ready for test in 2 weeks. Never really got taught the basics, only taught maneuvers. Should be fine, instructor says I'm ready.

What do you guys think is the hardest maneuver?
There's no such thing - everyone's different. What's the hardest manoeuvre for you? None of them should be difficult if you know the reference points and the correct procedure to carry them out, just take it slowly and you'll be able to easily recover from any mistakes.

Do you mean 10 one hour lessons btw? If yes you're a pretty quick learner :eek:
DDDenniZZZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ElegantElephant™)
There's no such thing - everyone's different. What's the hardest manoeuvre for you? None of them should be difficult if you know the reference points and the correct procedure to carry them out, just take it slowly and you'll be able to easily recover from any mistakes.

Do you mean 10 one hour lessons btw? If yes you're a pretty quick learner :eek:
Err, none really, I just find doing them ULTRA slowly, pretty much no gas and only little tiny bursts of movement. Although the most annoying one is reversing around a corner, just because of all the looking around you have to do and tiny adjustments to the wheel.

In total I've probably only had about 13-15 hours of actual taught lessons. (I switched company). From a local one to the AA.

One note to people learning to drive, try and drive a car you like. I originally was in a 08 Clio , but it isn't such a nice car to drive. A corsa is quite nice to drive (I rented it for £9 a hour to just have a mess around in, with someone with the requirements to teach me, it was dual control as well), although I'm learning in a 58-09 (instructor changed car) focus. Which is really easy to drive. Although it struggles to accelerate up hills.

One maneuver I haven't done all this time is emergency stop. :woo:
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
£9 an hour!? :eek:

Wow, if you know anyone who's a half decent teacher that sounds a much better option, or just somebody who's willing to sit in the car and be with you while you practice stuff. Really wish I could do that

Emergency stop is pretty easy really, shouldn't have many problems picking it up if you've learnt everything else so quickly, just your reaction to when the examiner says stop. I didn't actually get it in my test though :cry:. I pretty much did it anyway and got a minor for use of footbrake :rofl: :banghead:

Good luck for your test
diamondlad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Advisor)

Practise until you get the parking right every time and you'll learn to love it. As for roundabouts, they're quite simple once you get to grips with a few rules. Give way to the right (don't sit there waiting only for cars on your left - serious hesitation) and get your approach speed just right so you can flow nicely on to the roundabout. Even if you have to slow to a crawl, try to keep it moving if it's safe. Only stop if it's dead busy and you really have to. Remember that roundabouts are designed to keep the traffic moving!

Think of the last time you walked up to a revolving door like those in some large shops. Did you run up to it then have to stop and wait for the next gap? I doubt it; most people have a knack of adjusting walking speed on approach then you quicken your step as the next gap rolls around.

Plan to stop, but look to go. Think revolving door (and look the right bloody way :p: ) and you should be fine.

Thanks

One thing-I sometimes think I get things wrong like when exiting a roundabout to the right for example..how soon should i indicate and move back into the inside lane also?
DDDenniZZZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
£9 an hour!? :eek:

Wow, if you know anyone who's a half decent teacher that sounds a much better option, or just somebody who's willing to sit in the car and be with you while you practice stuff. Really wish I could do that

Emergency stop is pretty easy really, shouldn't have many problems picking it up if you've learnt everything else so quickly, just your reaction to when the examiner says stop. I didn't actually get it in my test though :cry:. I pretty much did it anyway and got a minor for use of footbrake :rofl: :banghead:

Good luck for your test
Thanks, err, I have my brother who is quite conveniently had just over 4 years driving so he can be the passenger. Thanks for the heads up on the emergency brake.

To the other person about the roundabout, just stay in that lane, and change into the left when you find space, your more likely to do something bad if you panic about it. Just take your time.

Remember that one of the criteria about the exam is to not slow down others so don't think I MUST KEEP LEFT, because sometimes you just can't. Also what do you mean by indicate?, when turning off the roundabout, just indicate just as soon as the previous exit has passed. About trying to get back left when to indicate, only indicate when you find space, avoid forcing others to give you space, chances are they will notice you can't keep up with the right hand lane and give you some space anyways.

Couple more questions, when I'm doing the practical, should I chat about anything to the examiner? , just to be polite?

Also is it better to have a driving position which is more relaxed or better controlling the car?
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by diamondlad)
I get things wrong like when exiting a roundabout to the right for example..how soon should i indicate and move back into the inside lane also?
Indicating on approach, this depends on the traffic around you. The three magic words here are "in good time". If you need to change lanes to your right before the roundabout, you may need to give an early "asking" signal if it's busy so people can let you in. Otherwise, just signal before you move position.

Indicating to the left once you're on the roundabout, do this just after passing the penultimate exit (the exit before the one you want). TIP: only count roads you can travel down as exits. On big roundabouts near motorways / dual carriageways, you shouldn't count the entrance roads where cars come on to the roundabout, only exits where cars go off.

As for moving to the left lane, only do this when it is safe after 2 mirrors and your left indicator. Centre mirror, left door mirror, then react to what you see. If you've done it correctly, it's highly unlikely that anyone will be on your left when turning right, but you never know.

Finally, don't take all day with these procedures. If you drive too slowly round the roundabout, signal too late or move over too late, the ******** behind you may well steal your intended exit lane and make life very difficult. As a very last resort, you can always go around again if it's safer, but this is extremely rare.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well had my first lesson on wedensday and loved it.
My instructor who's uber nice just like drove me to outside this business park, where it's really quiet on the roads, and just went over what we'd be learning and stuff. Then he made me get in the drivers seat and explained the cockpit drill. Then after that I practiced using the gearstick, he told me to look down the road then he'd say what gear he wanted me to go into without looking down. Which I did alright at I guess, made a few mistakes.
Thennn he made me turn the car on and just press on the accelarator a little bit with the clutch down, then select first gear.
I got to do a bit of driiving at the end too. Just in first gear to begin with.:p: but then my instructor put the clutch down on his side and let me put it into second. I didn't wanna stop.
He said I done really well though.

I think he said next week we're gonna practice changing gear on the move.
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just failed second mock test with 4 majors and 10 minors (all for observation and mirrors) argh!
Im desperate to book my test soon!
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by madeyoulook)
Just failed second mock test with 4 majors and 10 minors (all for observation and mirrors) argh!
Im desperate to book my test soon!
I would advise on booking it soon! My instructor didn't even mention a mock test till 2 weeks before the exam day...and it's the way he does it with all students...
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)
I would advise on booking it soon! My instructor didn't even mention a mock test till 2 weeks before the exam day...and it's the way he does it with all students...
Thnaks for the advice! Ive been wanting to book it for ages, but the waiting list for my test centre is only 2 weeks so i wasnt too worried. I have mentioned it to instructor however who always changed the subject or says something along the lines of "Yes we will book it for May sometime" but never gives me a date or a definate say so and im nervous about pushing the subject :o: :o:

I failed for Observation. Hesitation. Not stopping completley at a stop line and also not checking whilst doing manouvers. Oh yes and driving too slowly on a dual carrigeway as i was doing 60 so decided to stay behind another car also doing 60. I have had about 15 lessons with new instructor, 10 with previous instructor and also about 50 hours private practice :o:
I feel ready but instructor obviously thinks otherwise. :mad:
damion87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sophie it sounds like you have a fantastic time and i look forward to seeing how you progress through-out your driving experience (thats if you keep us all up-to-date on the forum ) and Laura i know with the first mock test you delayed your actual test due to the results of the first mock test and now with the second you see these figures of majors... Remember a minor is ok and forgetting about the majors for a minute if you got 10 minors on your test they would say "congratulations im pleased to say you have passed" - Now on your recent post your showing awareness of what can be causing these major's through observations/mirrors - It's that one thing that is letting you down... ONE thing... That means in my opinion your a brilliant driver it's only that one thing that seems to be getting you these major's... Don't give up trying as I know you can do it... I would say only book if you feel ready OR if you are a nervous driver then do this method instead - say to your instructor 'Do you think im ready' if he or she say's yes then book the test ASAP as i know you can do it XD
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by damion87)
Sophie it sounds like you have a fantastic time and i look forward to seeing how you progress through-out your driving experience (thats if you keep us all up-to-date on the forum ) and Laura i know with the first mock test you delayed your actual test due to the results of the first mock test and now with the second you see these figures of majors... Remember a minor is ok and forgetting about the majors for a minute if you got 10 minors on your test they would say "congratulations im pleased to say you have passed" - Now on your recent post your showing awareness of what can be causing these major's through observations/mirrors - It's that one thing that is letting you down... ONE thing... That means in my opinion your a brilliant driver it's only that one thing that seems to be getting you these major's... Don't give up trying as I know you can do it... I would say only book if you feel ready OR if you are a nervous driver then do this method instead - say to your instructor 'Do you think im ready' if he or she say's yes then book the test ASAP as i know you can do it XD
I know i can do the test, Im a confident driver, i mean i drive everywhere on my own anyway in my own car with no problems. But it just seems with the mock tests i make one mistake and it all goes to pot I just panic!

I know I could pass the test if i drove confidently like i do on a normal day, but my instructor seems to want me to have more lessons. He is an ex police officer so is all about safety. I cancelled my first test due to nerves, and due to the failure of my first mock test by alot of majors and i didnt feel ready. However i now feel ready and just want it over with! I have a third mock test on tuesday so i might have a word and just tell him straight that i wish to book the test for some point in May, and if i fail then i will just re book it is not a massive problem. Im under alot of pressure at the moment as i start a new job in May and need to be able to drive for it, and im starting to worry! :o:

I have asked instructor if he thinks im ready, and he just says " yes but you still make some mistakes but you will be perfect in May" However i dont want to wait until May to book as i will then have to wait until June until the test date which is too late

Thankyou everyone for your support in this, since my boyfriend is sick of hearing me winge about learning to drive :rolleyes:
celticfcz
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for the congrats guys!

Still cant believe Ive passed!

Got some trouble now tho - was learning in my instructors Corsa and my mum has put me on her 01 Punto's insurance which is completely different to drive ie in the corsa when I raised the clutch the car would start moving without any gas whereas with this car you need to gas it. I know its something small but Im just not feeling confident at all and feel really nervous even tho I have passed and technically should be fine. Guess I just need to go out practising? Tho it just feels Im starting again.

Probably making a mountain out of a molehill here!
Elegant Elephant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by celticfcz)
Thanks for the congrats guys!

Still cant believe Ive passed!

Got some trouble now tho - was learning in my instructors Corsa and my mum has put me on her 01 Punto's insurance which is completely different to drive ie in the corsa when I raised the clutch the car would start moving without any gas whereas with this car you need to gas it. I know its something small but Im just not feeling confident at all and feel really nervous even tho I have passed and technically should be fine. Guess I just need to go out practising? Tho it just feels Im starting again.

Probably making a mountain out of a molehill here!
You're overreacting hugely. And shouldn't you be gassing as well as bringing the clutch up to move off anyway? It's common practice. It doesn't matter if bringing the clutch up doesn't make the car move, the car would eventually stall either way - you were taught to balance the two.

Don't be nervous just practice with the Punto and you'll be fine. You passed your driving for goodness sakes!
celticfcz
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ElegantElephant™)
You're overreacting hugely. And shouldn't you be gassing as well as bringing the clutch up to move off anyway? It's common practice. It doesn't matter if bringing the clutch up doesn't make the car move, the car would eventually stall either way - you were taught to balance the two.

Don't be nervous just practice with the Punto and you'll be fine. You passed your driving for goodness sakes!
Lol thanks thats what I needed to hear! Just going to go out and practice with the car and I should be fine. I tended to gas the corsa after the car was rolling forward but with a bit of practice I should get the hang of it.
Thanks.
XxBrighteyesxX
Report 9 years ago
after having my forms to get a provisional licence for over a year i have them filled out and i can start to learn to drive soon!!
Elegant Elephant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
celticfcz, no problem.

(Original post by XxBrighteyesxX)
after having my forms to get a provisional licence for over a year i have them filled out and i can start to learn to drive soon!!
Yay
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by XxBrighteyesxX)
Well done, enjoy it!
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had my second lesson this morning - it's fun but terrifying at the same time. Does it ever become automatic?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1234)
79.61%
Leave (316)
20.39%

Watched Threads