The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Ducklighter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mehhh!
I have my theory later on tonight.
I can pass both buttt after a series of pass say four/five time on hazzrard I fail

Not sure really now :/
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xDestinyx)
I have my second test today. Same time as last time: 3.27pm.
Im really determined to pass my test this time around and I just hope I get the bay park good enough for the examiner seeing as last time I got told by the examiner I was an excellent driver but she had to fail me on bay park.
I seem to be more nervous than last time though which isnt good!
GOOOOOD LUCCCCKK!!
madeyoulook
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Failed 3rd mock.

Majors:
Observation during parellell park (which was disaster since there was so many cars coming i couldnt move an inch without stopping)
Speed x2.
Harsh breaking when i didnt see junction.

Absoloutley gutted to be honest.

Argghhhh.
Foulish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by k823127)
Just had my 27/28th hour and have come home kinda deflated. General driving is fine, well more than fine with the odd dodgy moments which my instructor said aren't half as bad as most people. I've mastered TIR, but the Left reverse is making me think i'll actually never pass. I just can't do it. I learn in a car that is nearly the size of a Focus and there's little me 5ft nothing and just can't see where i am. I spent a good 15 minutes on this one corner that is apparently the worse you'll ever get and just had to give up because i was nearly in tears.
Did a good parallel park, only 2nd attempt, but i'm now thinking this Left reverse is going to be the end of me. Just feel like giving it all up and that's not me at all!
I had the exact same problem. I couldn't do the turn in the road, so my driving instructor decided to do a full lesson on it for me and I eventually got it.

I used to mess up on the wheel turns, I used to count half a turn of the steering wheel as one, so I would often overshoot it and go wide. Since I passed, I have never used reverse around the corner, so in reality, you only need to do it for your test.

My method of doing the left turn was left, left, left right right left - If I remembered that sequence, I was able to do it. (I remembered this sequience because it was like an army march chant).

Keep at it - You'll get it soon. It will all just click into place.
damion87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey all...

xDestinyx you said on your last post: "last time I got told by the examiner I was an excellent driver but she had to fail me on bay park." - I know your nervous but hey remember that positive input into this test as you are a fantastic driver and yes you made that one error last time but that's in the past i know you can do it - So relax and use the 'PMA' manouver or in english the Positive Mental Attitude manouver hehehe you can do it so good luck for your test XD

Ducklighter i don't know how confident you feel but believe you can pass your theory and it will follow through the test with a pass - Hazard perception is a difficult one as it all has these key factors (clicking at the right time and for the right hazard etc) so don't be down hearted if you do fail, if it is the HP that lets you down, as it's difficult one to test (in my opinion) but good luck for your theory! XD

madeyoulook you said that you feel gutted that you failed on the mock test but let's see why you failed this one... too many cars on parrallel park which is unfortunate that that sort of scenario happened on your mock test BUT it doesn't mean it will be the same on your test so let's minus that major away and for speed your a decent and capable driver and yes it was unfortunate that you may of not kept the speed required but doesn't mean you will do it on your test and you will find that you will be more aware of everything so let's in theory remove those 2 majors right there which leaves you with one major and you said you didn't see it which ok you didnt see it and yes that would be marked down as a major but as i said before during a test you will be aware of the surroundings before you - Please don't get down for the mock test as i had some lessons before hand and i couldn't do anything right but on the test even though i got so many minors i managed to pass as i went from lesson mode to test mode and i was slightly more aware of stuff and yes i got marked down for speeding about 32-33mph on a 30mph road but i still passed so aslong as your careful and aware you will pass too - Keep the positive of your driving ability to progress through to pass your pratical test as your a really decent and capable driver remember that XD
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by damion87)
Hey all...

xDestinyx you said on your last post: "last time I got told by the examiner I was an excellent driver but she had to fail me on bay park." - I know your nervous but hey remember that positive input into this test as you are a fantastic driver and yes you made that one error last time but that's in the past i know you can do it - So relax and use the 'PMA' manouver or in english the Positive Mental Attitude manouver hehehe you can do it so good luck for your test XD

Ducklighter i don't know how confident you feel but believe you can pass your theory and it will follow through the test with a pass - Hazard perception is a difficult one as it all has these key factors (clicking at the right time and for the right hazard etc) so don't be down hearted if you do fail, if it is the HP that lets you down, as it's difficult one to test (in my opinion) but good luck for your theory! XD

madeyoulook you said that you feel gutted that you failed on the mock test but let's see why you failed this one... too many cars on parrallel park which is unfortunate that that sort of scenario happened on your mock test BUT it doesn't mean it will be the same on your test so let's minus that major away and for speed your a decent and capable driver and yes it was unfortunate that you may of not kept the speed required but doesn't mean you will do it on your test and you will find that you will be more aware of everything so let's in theory remove those 2 majors right there which leaves you with one major and you said you didn't see it which ok you didnt see it and yes that would be marked down as a major but as i said before during a test you will be aware of the surroundings before you - Please don't get down for the mock test as i had some lessons before hand and i couldn't do anything right but on the test even though i got so many minors i managed to pass as i went from lesson mode to test mode and i was slightly more aware of stuff and yes i got marked down for speeding about 32-33mph on a 30mph road but i still passed so aslong as your careful and aware you will pass too - Keep the positive of your driving ability to progress through to pass your pratical test as your a really decent and capable driver remember that XD

Thanks Damion, Made me feel alot better I got myself all fired up about asking to book my test, and then this happened i just felt so crap i didnt mention it and just booked another lesson. I really wanted my test over with before my exams starting though and its getting closer and closer

In the parellell park i just abandoned it halfway through :o: I had 3 attempts but every time had to stop and start again due to traffic, and then i went back to start again and a car came and sat behind me flashing his lights and i just panicked and drove on without completing the manouver After this it all went downhill and i got alot of minors for mirrors etc as i was too busy thinking about what had happened.

Its awful watching people who started learning after me passing first, even though ive had alot of bad luck (first instructor became terminally ill, second was just out for money, then i was in hospital for a month so missed about 4 months learning in total)
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ducklighter)
Mehhh!
I have my theory later on tonight.
I can pass both buttt after a series of pass say four/five time on hazzrard I fail

Not sure really now :/
Good luck!

(Original post by madeyoulook)
Failed 3rd mock.

Majors:
Observation during parellell park (which was disaster since there was so many cars coming i couldnt move an inch without stopping)
Speed x2.

Argghhhh.
Awww, use that gutted feeling to make you even more determined to pass
damion87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When do your exams start as i can see you really want to pass before your exams but this negative effect is flowing over due to the mock results but don't let it effect you and get you down. With your parrallel park situation you attempted several times which you may think ahhhh i didn't do the manouver ok so you didn't complete it but you gave it your best as it shows through your attempts i have seen a lot of people who attempt to do one of the three manouvers and don't get it right first time and breakdown and refuse to do it again. So like your doing now keep at it and i can understand the car flashing may of made you panic but the person in the car maybe unaware you were reversing (even with the lights) and was being nice by letting you out so he or she may of done that to be nice so don't think (even if you have never thought of it like this) that they were being pushy as infact they could of been nice which is a POSITIVE thing yayyyyy. In my experience i know how you feel about people passing as i see oh i passed in XX lessons and it has taken me 50 hours of driving experience (31st of july 2008-6th of April 2009) to pass but what we both in this case have to remember is they maybe more natural on the road then us for instance you could be really good at playing the piano whilst they struggle to understand how to play the piano we all have our strengths and if we have an issue with something in life (in this case manouvers) we never give up learning and trying our best which i can see you do and i take my hat off to you (if i was wearing one i would lol). I am really looking forward to reading your driving progress and supporting you on TSR all the way - So relax, keep calm and when you feel ready then book the test (or as my instructor said: 'it's just another lesson') it really is as that word 'test' makes everyone go to panic mode - You can do it... I know you can XD
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When do your exams start as i can see you really want to pass before your exams but this negative effect is flowing over due to the mock results but don't let it effect you and get you down. With your parrallel park situation you attempted several times which you may think ahhhh i didn't do the manouver ok so you didn't complete it but you gave it your best as it shows through your attempts i have seen a lot of people who attempt to do one of the three manouvers and don't get it right first time and breakdown and refuse to do it again. So like your doing now keep at it and i can understand the car flashing may of made you panic but the person in the car maybe unaware you were reversing (even with the lights) and was being nice by letting you out so he or she may of done that to be nice so don't think (even if you have never thought of it like this) that they were being pushy as infact they could of been nice which is a POSITIVE thing yayyyyy. In my experience i know how you feel about people passing as i see oh i passed in XX lessons and it has taken me 50 hours of driving experience (31st of july 2008-6th of April 2009) to pass but what we both in this case have to remember is they maybe more natural on the road then us for instance you could be really good at playing the piano whilst they struggle to understand how to play the piano we all have our strengths and if we have an issue with something in life (in this case manouvers) we never give up learning and trying our best which i can see you do and i take my hat off to you (if i was wearing one i would lol). I am really looking forward to reading your driving progress and supporting you on TSR all the way - So relax, keep calm and when you feel ready then book the test (or as my instructor said: 'it's just another lesson') it really is as that word 'test' makes everyone go to panic mode - You can do it... I know you can XD
My exams start in June, and i have been learning on and off since last august, so i wanted to have a go at the test in May before the exams just so im not doing it in June and having so much pressure at once!
Instructor actualy said i would be ready by May, only im too scared to ask incase he says no, although since im doing mock tests i cant be too far off surely?

The silly thing is i can paralell park perfectly under normal circumstances, its my RRC that is the terrible one :rolleyes:
damion87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well just to give you a real life scenario i CANT do RRC and we had 2 hours before my test and i did NONE of my RRC correct and before the test i was no good at RRC and what was my first manouver.... yes you guessed it RRC! My instructor was in the car and glared at me and i glared back in the mirror as we knew instantly i would fail this and weirdly i got 2 minors (one observation and one for control) and we were shocked so the morale of this little section is to say if you think it's terrible then it may not be so terrible on the test my advice for RRC is be-aware (all around observations) and take your time - my instructor said not to go so slow as you could fail but i did it slowish so i am in control and it gave me more time to think and act)

Not to scare you but a simple equation - Mock Test = Real Test by that i mean the instructor wouldn't give you mock tests if s/he didn't think you would pass the test as think of it this way if for instance were looking from the outside in and the instructor gave someone a mock test straight as they learn to drive would be pointless as they don't know the manouvers or the correct way to drive (perhaps?) so there not at that level of standard that you need to get a pass on your driving test. I think if he is giving you mock tests YOUR ready now but as your instructor s/he may say may time to give you a bit more preparation and to give you confidence on your test. May i recommend if your the nervous type to try taking kalms before the test (NOTE: before the test i mean a week before or 2 weeks but NOT on the days of your lessons or the test due to it can affect your driving) and for your driving lessons and the test try rescue remedy as that keeps that butterfly feeing at bay - like foulish mentioned and i know people may disagree with me but you dont see many of this reverse around the corner when your normally driving as people prefer to actually go into a side road and do a turn in the road as it's much more easier and you would have to worry about traffic all around but only on that road (so from two roads to one road to concentrate on) lol if you get what i mean :P
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well just to give you a real life scenario i CANT do RRC and we had 2 hours before my test and i did NONE of my RRC correct and before the test i was no good at RRC and what was my first manouver.... yes you guessed it RRC! My instructor was in the car and glared at me and i glared back in the mirror as we knew instantly i would fail this and weirdly i got 2 minors (one observation and one for control) and we were shocked so the morale of this little section is to say if you think it's terrible then it may not be so terrible on the test my advice for RRC is be-aware (all around observations) and take your time - my instructor said not to go so slow as you could fail but i did it slowish so i am in control and it gave me more time to think and act)

Not to scare you but a simple equation - Mock Test = Real Test by that i mean the instructor wouldn't give you mock tests if s/he didn't think you would pass the test as think of it this way if for instance were looking from the outside in and the instructor gave someone a mock test straight as they learn to drive would be pointless as they don't know the manouvers or the correct way to drive (perhaps?) so there not at that level of standard that you need to get a pass on your driving test. I think if he is giving you mock tests YOUR ready now but as your instructor s/he may say may time to give you a bit more preparation and to give you confidence on your test. May i recommend if your the nervous type to try taking kalms before the test (NOTE: before the test i mean a week before or 2 weeks but NOT on the days of your lessons or the test due to it can affect your driving) and for your driving lessons and the test try rescue remedy as that keeps that butterfly feeing at bay - like foulish mentioned and i know people may disagree with me but you dont see many of this reverse around the corner when your normally driving as people prefer to actually go into a side road and do a turn in the road as it's much more easier and you would have to worry about traffic all around but only on that road (so from two roads to one road to concentrate on) lol if you get what i mean :P
Thanks
I will try rescue remedy i think, or anything to stop nerves!
I have my own car, and drive everywhere on my own anyway so know i will be fine once i get that test passed, its just doing everything perfect on the day!
I think the reason my instructor is wary is because i have only had 15 lessons with him as he is my third instructor, and it took me a while to get used to the car etc. I am also inconsistant at times due to nerves, i know how to do it but in the heat of the moment make stupid mistakes!
Im going to have a word with him on thursday in my next lesson and tell him i feel ready to book the test, and ask if i can book it for the middle of May, although he may disagree :o:
damion87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can understand in the end if your instructor wants to ensure your used to the vehicle as i can see from his points that is 'his' car and for the use of the test he needs to ensure from his side the safety of the pupil and the future of their driving career and also for him the safety of his vehicle.

From private practice to professional practice your ready now but it could be your nerves that may let you done but 4 drops of the rescue remedy will put your right and it's weird isn't it were nervous to drive ONLY when were being tested but when we are in our own cars we are safe but we don't feel all tense - we just need to acknowledge we need to go through the test phase and once we all pass and it's over and done with so to speak we can relax and enjoy the rest of our driving career!

I hope you get a day and a time that you would want - Even without booking a test right now (as in today) i would check the DSA website for your local test centre to see the waiting times for pratical tests just so your aware of when to book etc etc (but do note: times & dates vary and update on monday) - I also found youtube as a great resource of learning of how to drive (even though you can drive it just makes you think ahhhhh as you get to see it and feel relaxed) and also a women named 'pat' yes i know everyone on youtube makes silly comments on her test which was made in the 80-90's i believe but it's just nice to see what she made and analyse any mistakes relevant to what you may of made on the mock test and to rectify the issues and also last chance driving school clips on youtube (the whole program is on there following a group of people who want to pass there test but have failed in the past) - i used that so i can see the test from a 2nd point of view and it helped me feel more relaxed for the test - The rescue remedy will help deal with any nerves you may feel but remember it won't completley get rid of them all as nerves and adrenaline help us to 'fight' (fight and flight) and progress in life XD
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by madeyoulook)
Failed 3rd mock.

Majors:
Speed x2.

Argghhhh.
OH NO!! Soz to hear about that!! Big G Hug!! Keep at it, and you will get there soon!! You know your mistakes, just gotta brush them off and pass with flying colours! All in good time!!
Foulish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DDDenniZZZ)

Couple more questions, when I'm doing the practical, should I chat about anything to the examiner? , just to be polite?
My examiner said 1 thing to me which was conversation-like which was "Nice day today isn't it?" at the beginning of the exam

I thought he was rude at first, but when the test was over he was nice as pie and all talkative - and more human.

You don't need to talk to him during the test.

When I found silence to be awkward in the car with my instructor, I would talk out loud what I was doing - e.g. Traffic light green for long time, might need to stop soon, someone at crossing who has pressed button, may need to stop. It worked ^_^
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
2nd lesson tomorrow w00t!
Going through gear chnages on the move methinks.:p:
God, it sounds so boring when I see all you guys writing about you tests and other things etc.:p:

I'm still going through stuff for my theory atm (which I haven't booked yet) I got that driving sucess CD. yep. =) How long did all you guys like you know go through the theory stuff before you booked a test? Obviously it varies between people. According to the softwarre i'm not ready yet. :sadface: I keep getting virtually below the pass rate on the practice stuff for the theory and hazard. like 10-15% off the pass mark each time.
In saying that I only started usuing the software last week.:p:
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I HATE mock exams, failed my first one with 3 majors and 7 minors

majors for clipping corner on a reverse round a corner, pulling out at a junction when not meant to and lane discipline.

It has destroyed my confidence for driving and now I'm hesitating all the time
Ducklighter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
passed the thoery. Not sure why I was worried at all :rollyeye:
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Enchanté)
2nd lesson tomorrow w00t!
Going through gear chnages on the move methinks.:p:
God, it sounds so boring when I see all you guys writing about you tests and other things etc.:p:
That's what I did this week, I found it quite easy Let us know how you get on!
Elegant Elephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
I HATE mock exams, failed my first one with 3 majors and 7 minors

majors for clipping corner on a reverse round a corner, pulling out at a junction when not meant to and lane discipline.

It has destroyed my confidence for driving and now I'm hesitating all the time
Lol I failed my first mock test with 3 majors and 22 minors :tongue: Don't be too put off by mock tests, I didn't pass a single mock test myself and I passed second time. Just don't rush, take your time, and you will drive fine.
damion87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yayyyy congratulations Ducklighter see i knew you could do it XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.34%
No (622)
72.66%

Watched Threads