The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

damion87
Yayyyy congratulations Ducklighter see i knew you could do it XD

yaa =) :woo: thanks for the encouragementt =)
Do you guys think that knowing the roads that you're driving test is a help or a hindrance? If i don't pass by mid June in Bristol i am probably going to have to take my test at home where yes i know the roads, but not as a driver.
Reply 6782
k823127
Do you guys think that knowing the roads that you're driving test is a help or a hindrance? If i don't pass by mid June in Bristol i am probably going to have to take my test at home where yes i know the roads, but not as a driver.

Hmm I was thinking that too. If I don't pass by the time I leave I'll have to take it in Bedford, where I've never even been before, driver or pedestrian!

Then again in my test there were roads in Bristol I know and I had to take the 3rd exit at a roundabout. At the 2nd exit he repeated "3rd exit please" then kind of quickly said "that is the next exit!" so I had to cut across 2 lanes quickly. I thought I would have got some majors for that, but I got the majors for going over to the right, when I cut across lanes it was coming from the right over to the left :confused: But yea I still managed to mess up on roads I do know.....

Some of my test was part of a route my instructor had taken me down twice previously, some of it was a detour through a housing estate and then some were the main roads to/from the test centre I knew well, so a good mix in the end
Reply 6783
Personally i think there are two sides to this 'wondering' question (Do you guys think that knowing the roads that you're driving test is a help or a hindrance?) - as for test reasons i believe if your used to the roads by learning on the roads near to the test centre i believe it is a great thing as for instance you are over concentrating on one thing E.G mirrors and completley missed the speed limit for that road - You may go omg im screwed in your head but if you have been on that road before you maybe aware in your mind what the speed limit for that road was and therefor i believe in that sense it is great to know the roads.
However like-wise if you know your test centre and pass it maybe becuase you know those roads and are used to them which is a positive thing but when you do pass and go on different unknown roads it maybe harder to adjust to the new routes - so it can be seen as a good and a bad thing. Positively from newer roads your not used to is you get different road scenarios with different bends or different lanes or what not basically your advancing your awareness on different but new roads which is a great skill to have and use for when you first pass.

Sorry everyone it's a difficult question to answer as in my opinion there is no definate answer to knowing the roads or could it be a hinderence topic, it all boils down to factors such as is the 'student' a natural on the road as in makes it easier to adjust to all roads or confidence of the student, the weather or the road layout - basically it is all to do with being able to have some sort of standard to pass on all roads so aslong as you feel confident in the environment in for the test whether its on known roads or unknown roads then you should pass and if you don't feel so confident about the surrounding factors and environment and that's if your near to tasking your test on the known roads then you may need to have more lessons due to perhaps that the student's confidence is low. It could be the other way around where if you don't feel confident with the change of roads all the time (as in different places each day and this is if your near taking the test) then my advice is to talk through with the instructor to get them to acknowledge and understand that you would prefer to learn in a closed-environment (preferably near the test centre) so that you can get used to the roads and succeed in passing for your practical test XD
Well it must be a good time to take driving tests cos I just PASSED mine this morning!!! It hasn't really sunk in properly, felt like some weird dream when she told me cos I thought I hadn't passed.

I got 10 minors (not too fussed about how many I got cos I still passed anyway).

To those people who have had several tests - don't give up cos this was my fifth attempt.
Reply 6785
Well done!! :smile: That’s great to see you have passed! Gives me hope for when I get to 5 too! And yea don’t worry about the minors as long as you passed :biggrin:

I just had a lesson, did all the manoeuvres under mock test conditions and did turn in the road ok (ish) although it was on a very steep hill and I nearly flew down the hill to start with so thought he would fail me for that.... The reverse round a corner was a joke, I messed up the forward movement then just messed about with the steering wheel until it was kind of right, but he reckons it was a pass, I don't see how because while I was messing about with the steering wheel I was looking in the side mirror, so I would surely get a major for observation :s-smilie:. Bay park he asked me what side I would prefer and I said I don't care because I'm just as bad either way, so did it from the right and left, left was actually ok when he told me again. He said when the seatbelt is in the middle of the bay I want to go into, I always thought he had said the bay BEFORE the one I want to go into...no wonder I was doing it wrong....

He says book a test for after my exams or the week before if I'm happy with that (but most of those dates are gone now) then we can get a cancellation if the next 2 lessons go well

If it’s left for the end of May (which I guess it will be) then if I don’t pass after being away in June I won’t get a test until July at the earliest, so that really will be last chance saloon....
Reply 6786
YAYYYYYY That's fantastic news Dr. Robotnik - Congratulations on passing - I know how you feel about the 'it hasn't quite sunk in' feeling - Oh by the way did you know that you 'PASSED' hahaha it's a great feeling isn't it!!! - I wish you a very happy driving experience now as your a full license holder!!! - Well Done! XD
Reply 6787
Well done Zack on passing your 'mock' test - see you can do it remember that for when you take the test it really does help :smile: - Just remember examiners don't know you and they want to ensure the safety of everyone on the road so if you do get turn in the road you can gaurentee they will ask you on a flat (maybe cambered-flat) road but not on a hill so for doing it on a hill is fantastic so well done! - Let me tell you i CANNOT do RRC at all and pre-test i couldnt do a single one and thats not being dramatic it's the truth and then when he asked me to do RRC i went wide and missed a car going passed so got 2 minors in total what im saying is from who can't do it to weirdly doing it on the test ok was a major achievement. From what i read on your previous post i see that you are capable of doing RRC it's just that initial issue that may make you doubt your ability to do it and looking in your side mirror is ok aslong as you do your general observations then thats perfectly ok (aslong as you dont just stare at it for long then you wont occur any minors). Your bay parking seemed to be a miscommunication error so you can reverse into a bay just now into the correct bay and i know you will be fantastic at it. Remember you only need to do two out of the three manouvers so i wish you the best of luck on when you have your test whether thats end of may or after your exams, I have read many of your post's through-out my time of learning to drive (and i can still say i am learning to drive with pass plus) and may i say seeing your determination to pass was a kay factor in what made me want to pass, seeing people such as yourself so passionate to pass is just wonderful to see - Good luck Zack for when you do take your test XD
Ducklighter
passed the thoery. Not sure why I was worried at all :rollyeye:

Congrats!! :smile:
Original post by G&#949
Congrats!! :smile:

taa =)
Just gotta drive soon haha. =)
Reply 6790
Dr. Robotnik
Well it must be a good time to take driving tests cos I just PASSED mine this morning!!! It hasn't really sunk in properly, felt like some weird dream when she told me cos I thought I hadn't passed.

I got 10 minors (not too fussed about how many I got cos I still passed anyway).

To those people who have had several tests - don't give up cos this was my fifth attempt.

Yay, well done! I got 10 minors on mine too! :smile: It's a good number- it's not a fail!

I was exactly the same as you and sure I hadn't passed! Well done with being so persistant though, I was feeling like I couldn't be bothered after having failed only one.
Dam I hate waiting for my test :frown: only another month. I have learning to drive at uni as if I fail and cant book another test I will have to learn at home which will be a massive change.
The DVLA website is driving me mad. It's not working properly so I can't book my test :frown: grrr £62 for the test aswel now? What a joke I thought it was £56 :frown:
Impossible princess
The DVLA website is driving me mad. It's not working properly so I can't book my test :frown: grrr £62 for the test aswel now? What a joke I thought it was £56 :frown:

What's happening why is it not working properly?
What's happening why is it not working properly?

I get so far with the booking and then it just comes up with an error "a serious error has occured from which the booking application could not recover".
It happens at different stages, I've tried four times now *cross*
Finished my lesson around 30 mins ago, and to be quite honest i'm not sure if I found it bad or good.:s: Somewhere inbetween the two methinks.:p:

All I done today was moving off and stopping. we just basically went round in cicles and my instructor was like check your mirrors indicate if there's anything coming up and stuff which I felt fine with. Same with stopping mirrors indicate, brake/clutch down/gear in neutral handbrake on.

It's just the damn changing gear whilst moving I seem to completly forget where each one is when i'm moving but whilst i'm idle and practice without looking i'm fine.:p:
Did it take anyone else a few lessons when they started to get used to the whole clutch down changing gear thing? My friend says i'm being paranoid because that's my 2nd lesson.:p: i've only had 2hrs worth.

Gonna be tackling junctions next week, and gears again, I got to do a junction, well turning into one today it was on course on the road we kept going round. My driving instructor had to grab the steering wheel at one point because I went too fast. :o: apart from that fine.

Also some idiot starting beeping at me today not sure why, which I think kinda put me off concentration a bit.
Finished my lesson around 30 mins ago, and to be quite honest i'm not sure if I found it bad or good. Somewhere inbetween the two methinks.

All I done today was moving off and stopping. we just basically went round in cicles and my instructor was like check your mirrors indicate if there's anything coming up and stuff which I felt fine with. Same with stopping mirrors indicate, brake/clutch down/gear in neutral handbrake on.

It's just the damn changing gear whilst moving I seem to completly forget where each one is when i'm moving but whilst i'm idle and practice without looking i'm fine.
Did it take anyone else a few lessons when they started to get used to the whole clutch down changing gear thing? My friend says i'm being paranoid because that's my 2nd lesson. i've only had 2hrs worth.

Gonna be tackling junctions next week, and gears again, I got to do a junction, well turning into one today it was on course on the road we kept going round. My driving instructor had to grab the steering wheel at one point because I went too fast. apart from that fine.

Also some idiot starting beeping at me today not sure why, which I think kinda put me off concentration a bit.

It's your second lesson, that's totally normal! Loads of people struggle with gear changes, because you're doing a few things at the same time (clutch down, ease off revs, change gear) it can be a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy I guess! Eventually it becomes natural, best advice I can give you is to do things smoothly, don't rush or painc and "palm" the gear stick when you change gear (did your instructor explain palming?),
I've got my third test on the 23rd and if I don't pass I'm going to be seriously pissed off, because I have been learning since last February!!!!!!!
Impossible princess
It's your second lesson, that's totally normal! Loads of people struggle with gear changes, because you're doing a few things at the same time (clutch down, ease off revs, change gear) it can be a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy I guess! Eventually it becomes natural, best advice I can give you is to do things smoothly, don't rush or painc and "palm" the gear stick when you change gear (did your instructor explain palming?),

Thankyoo.:p: I think I panic I bit as it put me off my steering a couple of times. And he did explain palming yep.
My instructor keeps going like just let it spring back up into neutral then slowly put it into gear whatever.
Zack
Well done!! :smile: That’s great to see you have passed! Gives me hope for when I get to 5 too! And yea don’t worry about the minors as long as you passed :biggrin:

Thanks! The minors aren't a worry cos they were for things I don't usually do anyway so my instructor told me not to worry about them.

damion87
YAYYYYYY That's fantastic news Dr. Robotnik - Congratulations on passing - I know how you feel about the 'it hasn't quite sunk in' feeling - Oh by the way did you know that you 'PASSED' hahaha it's a great feeling isn't it!!! - I wish you a very happy driving experience now as your a full license holder!!! - Well Done! XD

Thanks yeah I think it will all sink in when I get my pink license (the green one is so horrible lol). Now I can start shopping for a car!!

Rennie
Yay, well done! I got 10 minors on mine too! :smile: It's a good number- it's not a fail!

I was exactly the same as you and sure I hadn't passed! Well done with being so persistant though, I was feeling like I couldn't be bothered after having failed only one.

Thanks, it just felt like the examiner was ticking away so I was certain I had racked up 15 minors lol!

But yeah persistence really is the key, what kept me going was that I knew that my driving was ok, my instructor kept telling me all the time - even the examiner on my last test said the same. Got there in the end so I'm thrilled!

Quick Reply

Latest