The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Dr. Robotnik
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by k823127)
Went out again in it this morning and just focused on pulling off etc. Was horrendous, the best thing about it was when my Mum shouted saying she'll just take the car back and then took me home in tears. Don't think she realises how frustrating it is to know you can do something and then find out you can't in one stupid car. Think cyclings the way forward for me and then maybe she can't shout at me for being frustrated.
That actually sounds horrible - I'm sorry. Considering you're a LEARNER you can't be expected to be a pro at driving. Maybe it's better to just stick with learning in your instructors car since you're comfortable with his car and focus on passing your test. Once you've done that - or at least feel a lot more confident - then maybe try your car again.

And tell your Mum that shouting only makes things worse!

Try not to get discouraged - focus on the reasons why you want to drive. I know it's not easy and that things aren't brilliant at the moment but it should all be worth it in the end. :hugs:
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Went out in mum's car again today, mucked up a mini roundabout (what IS the point of them, really ) when turning right and ended up nearly crashing into a wall, apparently! And as I was so dazed after that I missed the turning my dad said to take...argh. Ended up in tears for a while after that, eh well. But other than that, and having to turn round a bit later to get back on track, it wasn't bad...and went on a 50 road for the first time, meep.
DDDenniZZZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Betty P)
Sorry ive taken so long to reply Zac and Damion87

Yeah was a bit nervous about hazard perception as i thought it would let me down. I got 50/50 for the theory bit but lower on the hazard - i thought i'd really messed it up cause on the last video a cat jumped out and i didn't have time to click :eek: was really random but luckily i scraped through

How did everyone else find their theory if they've taken it? Did anyone else have the cat one? hahahaha
The theory wasn't too bad, funny how you arrive at the center and EVERYONE is looking worried. I got there over a hour early (I wanted to get breakfast lol), anyways I got told to wait, and I could have been entered into the earlier batch of people, I had the choice of the retard I mean special room alone or with everyone else. Chose to be with everyone else, was the last one into that room, and one of the first out, I thought to myself not worth trying to change any answers. Passed with a good score, better in the theory than hazards.

Anyone about to take their test, do as many questions as you can, read the highway code, its worded so the answer is written in the book. When I watched the hazard perceptions video just watch the hazard part, I kind of had a lapse of concentration doing all that the night before.

To purple-girl, don't about doing things wrong, just don't panic and keep going. You'll be fine after a while, I still get a small rush of adrenaline every time I drive. It's just becomes less and less dominant in time.
thebirthoftragedy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purple-girl)
Went out in mum's car again today, mucked up a mini roundabout (what IS the point of them, really ) when turning right and ended up nearly crashing into a wall, apparently! And as I was so dazed after that I missed the turning my dad said to take...argh. Ended up in tears for a while after that, eh well. But other than that, and having to turn round a bit later to get back on track, it wasn't bad...and went on a 50 road for the first time, meep.
Sounds like what I did! I went out in an old Pug 106, with no power steering, went to turn right at a mini roundabout, and ended up mounting the curb and nearly hitting a lamppost. I cried for like an hour.:yep:
Rennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purple-girl)
Don't worry about it, you're bound to have moments like that when you're learning to drive. Don't let it get you down. Just spend more time in the car so that you can get used to the way it handles.

I don't think I've ever been on a 50 road, but I remember my first time on a 60. I was so scared. Then when I had a 60 road on my test I had to be careful not to speed... so there we are... you get used to things :p:
demzii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Betty P)
Sorry ive taken so long to reply Zac and Damion87

Yeah was a bit nervous about hazard perception as i thought it would let me down. I got 50/50 for the theory bit but lower on the hazard - i thought i'd really messed it up cause on the last video a cat jumped out and i didn't have time to click :eek: was really random but luckily i scraped through

How did everyone else find their theory if they've taken it? Did anyone else have the cat one? hahahaha
Lol I would love to see that hazard clip! I took mine about 3 weeks ago now, didnt have the cat one but had a clip with sheep in it. Congrats on the 50/50, thats what i got too and 55/75 for the hazard perception, thank goodness it's all over now - I can finally concentrate on real driving now :woo:
Kirstin85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaaah...I just had the best lesson ever! So weird, I can't explain it but it was like everything just clicked! My instructor was a bit gobsmacked I think, at how much better I was compared to a few weeks ago. Still had a few problems with my parallel park but I just feel so much more confident in my driving which I think is the main thing.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kirstin85)
Aaaah...I just had the best lesson ever! So weird, I can't explain it but it was like everything just clicked! My instructor was a bit gobsmacked I think, at how much better I was compared to a few weeks ago. Still had a few problems with my parallel park but I just feel so much more confident in my driving which I think is the main thing.
That's great! . Must seem so much easier when it clicks like that
jessiainscough
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xDestinyx)
I failed AGAIN. Im not as gutted as I was last time but I am gutted that I got no minors at all and right at the end of my test I went in the wrong lane on a roundabout and it was marked down as dangerous so I failed instantly.
My sheet was clean apart from the dangerous mark :rolleyes:
Bad luck, i know how it feels, in my first test i failed on my bay park which was the very last thing i had to do - so annoying.

On the other hand i've got my 3rd test on thurs, and i'm sooo nervous because i really feel like i'm definately good enough - i've got all my manouvers down and i've done so much practice, and everythings going really well, so if i don't pass, i'm going to be so annoyed
Maxxie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
kept forgetting to put it into first gear everytime i stopped today

How the hell are you meant to do that smooth brake/stop thing whenever I try I never seem to stop.
Kirstin85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
That's great! . Must seem so much easier when it clicks like that
Thanks! Am dead chuffed, I just hope that I don't regress and drive really badly again next week, am going to try to get out with my dad during the week to keep the momentum up...how is your driving going?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kirstin85)
Thanks! Am dead chuffed, I just hope that I don't regress and drive really badly again next week, am going to try to get out with my dad during the week to keep the momentum up...how is your driving going?
Aww no hopefully this is the start of you feeling really confident and comfortable with it . It just seems to "happen" eventually....you'll have bad lessons, but overall you should feel like you are better and can do a lot

I am waiting for another test.....still......grrrr.... my instructor said to book it but there are loads available after I finish school so I'm not in a rush yet (because I put all my money in my ISA the other day for the end of the last tax year...then kind of realised I’m skint until I get paid, whoops). He did say we can go for a short notice one depending on how the next 2 lessons go, but I bet he won't, so when I get some money again I’ll book one for the end of May. I just looked and there is one for 14th May, that would be good but I might have school (no idea what “week” we are on) and it’s the day before the exam board coursework deadline, so think I better go to those lessons no matter what...

Does anyone else find they are not really getting much out of the driving lessons? I don’t feel that I am, apart from knowing that I suck and always will suck at the manoeuvres, so might as well just take the test and hope I get lucky... I'm back to having 1 hour lessons now, and it’s only 1 a week too which is less than I’ve ever had. I'm not paying £40 a week for a 6 week wait :banghead:
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Does anyone else find they are not really getting much out of the driving lessons? I don’t feel that I am, apart from knowing that I suck and always will suck at the manoeuvres, so might as well just take the test and hope I get lucky... I'm back to having 1 hour lessons now, and it’s only 1 a week too which is less than I’ve ever had. I'm not paying £40 a week for a 6 week wait :banghead:
I know exactley what you mean! I dread my lessons now as we're basically doing the same stuff each week, waiting for another test. I went back to one hour a week around 2 months ago as £40 was just too expensive!

How's your driving going?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
I know exactley what you mean! I dread my lessons now as we're basically doing the same stuff each week, waiting for another test. I went back to one hour a week around 2 months ago as £40 was just too expensive!

How's your driving going?
Have you got a test booked?

I'm just so confused about all of it, I wish I never started now.... maybe if I have 2 hours or more a week I might finally understand the manoeuvres, but it doesn't seem like it, so it's just a massive waste of money.....on top of all the money I've wasted already

My actual driving is ok most of the time, just keep doing stupid things like moving off in 3rd..

I’ve given up on the lessons from a friend, because the insurance expires in 3 weeks anyway... just feel so bad for not having passed already.... argh
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Have you got a test booked?

I'm just so confused about all of it, I wish I never started now.... maybe if I have 2 hours or more a week I might finally understand the manoeuvres, but it doesn't seem like it, so it's just a massive waste of money.....on top of all the money I've wasted already

My actual driving is ok most of the time, just keep doing stupid things like moving off in 3rd..

I’ve given up on the lessons from a friend, because the insurance expires in 3 weeks anyway... just feel so bad for not having passed already.... argh
Yeah, but I want it changed. My instructor won't let me.

My driving's been terrible lately. I've just lost all the will to drive. I haven't driven in over a week as my instructor's been away, and my Dad's at work with my car. Dreading my next lesson.
ssja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)

I really wouldn't worry about it, learning to drive isn't easy! I've been learning for five months have my test next week. I made all the stupid mistakes you have done, moving off in third etc. My monoeuvres were awful but now it all clicks and i don't really have to think about it. It will happen for you too, all of a sudden you'll be like .. i can do this .. and its fine. I would reccomend 3 hour lessons, although pricey they made a huge difference. Meant i could practise my monoeuvres, do a mock test and all the show me tell me questions. Good luck and enjoy it!
Slush_Puppy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by k823127)
Drove my own car today for the first time since my Mum bought it for me
Alright for some, :p:
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Yeah, but I want it changed. My instructor won't let me.

My driving's been terrible lately. I've just lost all the will to drive. I haven't driven in over a week as my instructor's been away, and my Dad's at work with my car. Dreading my next lesson.
. How long have you got to wait?

I found a short notice one online (thought you could only get them by phoning) for this Thursday, probably a little too soon . I hope that more come up though, as that's the first I've ever seen when looking for either test
Alisvolatpropriis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me? how do you change the gears smoothly? everytime i do it, it will stop abit. Its frustrating me, im on my 16 lesson and im still rubbish!!
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alisvolatpropriis)
Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me? how do you change the gears smoothly? everytime i do it, it will stop abit. Its frustrating me, im on my 16 lesson and im still rubbish!!
Do you mean like a jolt? Try slowing down more before you change . And bring the clutch up slowly (not too slowly or you'll get done for coasting :mad:). Mine still aren’t that good IMO, but I don’t think I got any minors on my test for gears
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads