The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Elegant Elephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hafa)
Got my test on Friday, not really that nervous 'yet'. Checked the weather, heavy showers..
The forecast is occasionally wrong, don't worry about it Good luck!
hafa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ElegantElephant™)
The forecast is occasionally wrong, don't worry about it Good luck!
Thanks, lets just hope they are wrong lol.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
Just had my fourth hour I think, got my fifth on Thursday!

Did some corners, a few T junctions and a mini roundabout (stalled it horribly the first time, with someone following, argh! but got it fine the next time) and over all a good lesson, stalled twice though - once on the aforementioned roundabout and once when I was coming up the road with cars on my side and the gap to pull in got a bit tight and I panicked and pressed the brake before the clutch or something
Oo coolies
I done junctions last week, though the lesson was moving off and stopping when we were going round I had to keep turning left into a junction which my instructor said was some of this weeks lesson. I've done that I forgot to put my foot on the clutch then break after trying to move into the curb before putting the handbrake on.
Vaza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did a double lesson yesterday (my 3rd double lesson, so 5th and 6th hours), and it all clicked! I was driving completely smoothly, apart from a stall or two when pulling away from an empty T junction (pulled up the clutch to fast ). I went up to 50 mph :O lol, after that I found that keeping to 30/40 on the normal roads was easy!
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vaza)
I did a double lesson yesterday (my 3rd double lesson, so 5th and 6th hours), and it all clicked! I was driving completely smoothly, apart from a stall or two when pulling away from an empty T junction (pulled up the clutch to fast ). I went up to 50 mph :O lol, after that I found that keeping to 30/40 on the normal roads was easy!
Haha, I've only got up to about 15 mph, well, that's when I was looking at the speedometer anyway, don't think I've gone much faster. 50mph sounds scary
jordan12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
Haha, I've only got up to about 15 mph, well, that's when I was looking at the speedometer anyway, don't think I've gone much faster. 50mph sounds scary
I remember for the first few lessons seeing I wasn't doing anything above 15mph and wondering why it still felt so fast. After about the 10th lesson I realised I'd been looking at the rev counter
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jordan12)
I remember for the first few lessons seeing I wasn't doing anything above 15mph and wondering why it still felt so fast. After about the 10th lesson I realised I'd been looking at the rev counter
Haha! I did that a couple of weeks ago Jordan! I was stopped at a give way line, went to set the gas and stalled - then realised i wasn't even looking at the gas thing, i was looking at the rev counter! :p:
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Guys! I have a few questions here - want to make sure i get the mirrors correct, so if you can give me answers to the following, that would be a major help!

1. What mirrors do you look in when turning left?

2. What mirrors do you look in when turning right?

3. What mirrors do you look in when slowing down?

4. Do you have to look in mirrors when speeding up - if so what ones?

5. What mirrors do you look in when changing gear?

6. What mirrors do you look in at roundabouts?

Any help with the above would be good! Just wanna make sure what am gonna do tomorrow is right!
k823127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
Guys! I have a few questions here - want to make sure i get the mirrors correct, so if you can give me answers to the following, that would be a major help!

Any help with the above would be good! Just wanna make sure what am gonna do tomorrow is right!

Left

Right

Depends why you're slowing down, but generally rear mirror.

I wouldn't bother, you should be looking forward if speeding up.

None?? Why would you?

Depends, if turning left then left if other then right until your turn off then left outside and rear mirror to come out.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For speeding up I would check your rear view mirror to see if anyone is right up behind you, waiting for the speed limit to change to overtake. I got done for it on my mock.
emmasmellsalot
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by k823127)
Left

Right

Depends why you're slowing down, but generally rear mirror.

I wouldn't bother, you should be looking forward if speeding up.

None?? Why would you?

Depends, if turning left then left if other then right until your turn off then left outside and rear mirror to come out.

I think i agree with all of that but when changing gear you should look in the rear view mirror as it counts as a speed change, also when speeding up as well as its no good speeding up if someone has just overtaken you or is about to.

Also I am a bit confused. I have passed my test with one instructor and then did my pass plus with another, who told me i overused the handbrake. I used it when i start (i find the bite signal and let it down) but he says to put it in gear, put the handbrake down then signal and put your foot on the gas. He said if i found the bite first i would be using the handbrake to control the car and that isnt what its made for. Also I used it to secure the car when i stalled and he said footbrake would have been enough. What does everyone else do/ how were you taught?
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by emmasmellsalot)
I think i agree with all of that but when changing gear you should look in the rear view mirror as it counts as a speed change, also when speeding up as well as its no good speeding up if someone has just overtaken you or is about to.
Hmm, I think it's somewhat debatable as to whether or not a gear change in itself could constitute a speed change. Just because when changing up you will have already been increasing your speed, so the change itself doesn't act as a "marker". But I guess its all personal definiteions :dontknow:

At the end of the day, make sure you're always aware of what's going on around you, and there's nothing else that needs doing.

Also I am a bit confused. I have passed my test with one instructor and then did my pass plus with another, who told me i overused the handbrake. I used it when i start (i find the bite signal and let it down) but he says to put it in gear, put the handbrake down then signal and put your foot on the gas. He said if i found the bite first i would be using the handbrake to control the car and that isnt what its made for. Also I used it to secure the car when i stalled and he said footbrake would have been enough. What does everyone else do/ how were you taught?
I tend to put the handbrake down as I'm lifting the clutch and applying some throttle to pull off. All in one motion. But if I were to break it down then I'd rather find the bite then drop the handbrake (as you do), as this option offers the greatest level of control over the car. And I was always taught to use the handbrake when I stalled, just a method of securing the car
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought you are supposed to use the handbrake to secure the car when it's stalled incase your foot slips or anything like that :confused:. At junctions most of the time I don't bother, unless it's a hill and I'm scared I'll roll back, I hate doing the clutch thing and rolling back is a fail (I think), but have to use it at traffic lights (if stopped for more than a few seconds)
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're slowing down coming up to traffic lights, a junction, or a roundabout - is it still rear view mirror then?

Also - if you're setting off from traffic lights or a roundabout or a junction - should you look in the left one to check for bikes etc...?

Thanks for everyone's help!
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
My lesson was okish, did 2 bay parks which apparently I would have passed in the exam, hmmm. I really can't judge when to turn from the right, so think I'm gonna have to make it from the left, that way I should (hopefully) get somewhere close to passing it! I'll ask him to do it from the left next time and see what he says, because if I get a choice in my test it's pointless carrying on with right (which I can't really do!)

How was your lesson?
My instructor said it was a really good lessonn. My M's took longer than normal as it's been three weeks since I last did them. I had to think back to turning points and such, but everything well. But I still feel like I did rubbish. I told him I don't want to do the test and he thinks I should... and that I need to get my confidence back. My driving is great... I just don't have faith in myself anymore and it's holding me back. He says when I make a mistake I blow it out of proportion, and that he's going to start congratulating me for good things now, as well, to get my confidant in what I can do.

I did no bay parks this lesson. Dreading having to do them again! What does your instructor say about them? How was the rest of the lesson?
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're slowing down coming up to traffic lights, a junction, or a roundabout - is it still rear view mirror then?
Yep

Also - if you're setting off from traffic lights or a roundabout or a junction - should you look in the left one to check for bikes etc...?
I wondered this, as I got 2 minors for moving off safely/under control, and I have no idea what for, so assume it's that? :confused:

Good luck for your test!!
emmasmellsalot
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
I thought you are supposed to use the handbrake to secure the car when it's stalled incase your foot slips or anything like that :confused:. At junctions most of the time I don't bother, unless it's a hill and I'm scared I'll roll back, I hate doing the clutch thing and rolling back is a fail (I think), but have to use it at traffic lights (if stopped for more than a few seconds)
Thats what I thought and he was like people tell you to use the handbrake to secure the car but the footbrake is enough. My boyfriend also said handbrake is better at trafffic lights and stuff because it someone goes into the back of you and you're only on the footbrake you might slip and then you wont be covered by insurance because you wont have done everything to prevent a crash. (not sure how true that is tho). He also said seems like your old instructor never let you roll back and you have to roll back to learn to use the clutch and everyone rolls back sometimes
Lethal`
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
Turn the question around.... if you have been waiting at traffic lights or a junction for a while would you want to turn straight into the path of a bike
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Yep

I wondered this, as I got 2 minors for moving off safely/under control, and I have no idea what for, so assume it's that? :confused:

Good luck for your test!!
Thanks Zack!

I deffinately think we must have to do that!

I've got my next lesson tomorrow morning, so will let you guys know how i go on! I think he said that we're gonna go and do some of the busy roundabouts - eeeeek, is all i can say to that! :p:
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh yeah here's one thing i was wondering.

Right when you guys stop at a traffic lights, or a roundabout:

1. Do you find the bite point first, set the gas, release the handbrake (if it's on), then bring the clutch up a little more?

Or

2. Do you set the gas, find the bite point, release the handbrake (if it's on), then press down on the gas and bring the clutch up?

I was just wondering if there's a correct way to do it. I'm get really stressed out when i stall at traffic lights and roundabouts!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads