The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7040
lozz2601
Yeh, 5th lesson this morning.
It's just so frustrating, because I knew what I was doing wrong but still kept doing it anyway.
Need to learn to calm down - cheers for the reassurance!

It's going okay otherwise, I think......

Yea it's really annoying when that happens, I had it too, eventually you get used to it though :smile:

xDestinyx
Yeah I know, I think its because my instructor knows I shouldn't have failed either but then he can't really do anything about it because it was the examiner that was in the car with me both times and not him marking.

I just hope its 3rd time lucky!!

You have to just try again though, think of all that time and money that would go to waste!

I have failed one and in the end I deserved to fail (I messed up horribly towards the end, after I knew I had failed though), I am still not happy with why I failed (the original reason, right at the start) and to this day even though I have got over failing and I’ve accepted I'll have to do it again (and booked it now) and I know excuses won’t make it better, I don't agree with it at all.

I really didn't want to take another test, but after thinking of all that money and that I need to pass I have had to just book a 2nd one and try and forget about the first.

You'll be fine this time, just learn from the other 2, hopefully it is 3rd time lucky! :smile:

itzme
my instructor told me to always go down to second gear! :confused:
BTW, could u explain when do I need to change gears? I got a serious for gears and 'progress'
1st: moving off, manoeuvring
2nd: turning left or right, roundabouts
3rd: bwteen 15 to 24 mph
4th: between 25 to 28 mph
Am I missing something?

Like k823127 said it does vary between cars (another reason I will be really reluctant to swap instructors). The bit about going to 3rd for bigger roundabouts was for things like Hicksgate here, but for most roundabouts 2 is right

This is Hicksgate if it helps you to compare sizes: here. Hmmm that link has decided to be stupid even though it's the one from the link part :rolleyes:. Could just be my computer though

I always use 3rd for that unless I've had to stop, particularly when coming from Bath Road to Keynsham Bypass (Bath Road is 50mph)
Zack

You have to just try again though, think of all that time and money that would go to waste!

I have failed one and in the end I deserved to fail (I messed up horribly towards the end, after I knew I had failed though), I am still not happy with why I failed (the original reason, right at the start) and to this day even though I have got over failing and I’ve accepted I'll have to do it again (and booked it now) and I know excuses won’t make it better, I don't agree with it at all.

I really didn't want to take another test, but after thinking of all that money and that I need to pass I have had to just book a 2nd one and try and forget about the first.

You'll be fine this time, just learn from the other 2, hopefully it is 3rd time lucky! :smile:

Yeah very true! - What was it that you failed your test on?
I'll book mines on Monday when I put money in the bank :p:
Reply 7042
xDestinyx
Yeah very true! - What was it that you failed your test on?
I'll book mines on Monday when I put money in the bank :p:

A van was parked on my side of the road, half on the pavement and half on the road. Cars from the other side of the road were coming over to my side (I can't remember why, think it was traffic calming or something) so I have to give way. I was preparing to stop behind the van and the examiner smashed the brake saying I was going to hit the van. This must have been about 5 minutes in

I then got done on parallel park and not checking mirrors when changing lanes on a roundabout (that he confused me on when he said where to go!). By the time I got the manoeuvres I knew I had failed though so guess concentration must have went, that was the worst parallel park I have ever done, although my Turn in the road was fine. He actually had to tell me to go further along the road, as I was ready to do it on a medium sized bit of road, when I slowed right down almost to a stop he just said "further along to give yourself more room for a turn in the road", although I have done the size where I stopped at with my instructor!

Good that you are booking it again! When are you looking for? :smile:

I had to book mine the other day by transferring money, not the best but good job I did, all the dates are now gone into June!
Zack
A van was parked on my side of the road, half on the pavement and half on the road. Cars from the other side of the road were coming over to my side (I can't remember why, think it was traffic calming or something) so I have to give way. I was preparing to stop behind the van and the examiner smashed the brake saying I was going to hit the van. This must have been about 5 minutes in

I then got done on parallel park and not checking mirrors when changing lanes on a roundabout (that he confused me on when he said where to go!). By the time I got the manoeuvres I knew I had failed though so guess concentration must have went, that was the worst parallel park I have ever done, although my Turn in the road was fine. He actually had to tell me to go further along the road, as I was ready to do it on a medium sized bit of road, when I slowed right down almost to a stop he just said "further along to give yourself more room for a turn in the road", although I have done the size where I stopped at with my instructor!

Good that you are booking it again! When are you looking for? :smile:

I had to book mine the other day by transferring money, not the best but good job I did, all the dates are now gone into June!

Wow, sound like a jerk! I think some examiners just love being that way to get a rise out of you so that you do fail.
He shouldn't have slammed on the brakes if you were at a reasonable enough distance, which it sounds like you were.

Im not sure what dates Im looking for, hopefully theres one in May though I don't want to wait too long. I can't check the site at the moment because it's not working for me.

:eek: June!?! Are you willing to wait until then? Or will you be looking for cancellations before then?
Reply 7044
xDestinyx
Wow, sound like a jerk! I think some examiners just love being that way to get a rise out of you so that you do fail.
He shouldn't have slammed on the brakes if you were at a reasonable enough distance, which it sounds like you were.

Im not sure what dates Im looking for, hopefully theres one in May though I don't want to wait too long. I can't check the site at the moment because it's not working for me.

:eek: June!?! Are you willing to wait until then? Or will you be looking for cancellations before then?

Exactly. Obviously nobody else was there so can't say for sure, and to be fair my instructor did say it sounded harsh but he wasn't there so can't say if it's right or wrong decision and that I just had to be careful next time and stop further back, which is true and I think is a good thing to say TBH, a lot of instructors are really anti-examiner (bit like some of the pupils....me :p:) but to see that is good

I can get into the site now (at last), want to keep looking for a different date before I tell my instructor on Friday

Na, I got one on 8th May in the end(one for my birthday 2 days earlier did actually appear but I didn't take it) but it's a good job I did, now the dates are all June
Zack
Exactly. Obviously nobody else was there so can't say for sure, and to be fair my instructor did say it sounded harsh but he wasn't there so can't say if it's right or wrong decision and that I just had to be careful next time and stop further back, which is true and I think is a good thing to say TBH, a lot of instructors are really anti-examiner (bit like some of the pupils....me :p:) but to see that is good

I can get into the site now (at last), want to keep looking for a different date before I tell my instructor on Friday

Na, I got one on 8th May in the end(one for my birthday 2 days earlier did actually appear but I didn't take it) but it's a good job I did, now the dates are all June

What test centre are you taking yours at, i'm hoping to get a test booked for middle of May but not by the sounds of it???
Reply 7046
k823127
What test centre are you taking yours at, i'm hoping to get a test booked for middle of May but not by the sounds of it???

Brislington. You could get a cancellation for May if you check often enough :smile:. There is one on there for this Thursday, I know my instructor isn't free then though so no point even trying it
Zack
Brislington. You could get a cancellation for May if you check often enough :smile:. There is one on there for this Thursday, I know my instructor isn't free then though so no point even trying it

Ahh im going for Southmead, they have no bays and don't do right reverse so i kinda know what i'm gonna get :smile:
Reply 7048
k823127
Ahh im going for Southmead, they have no bays and don't do right reverse so i kinda know what i'm gonna get :smile:

Yea that's a bit far from me :frown:. I did look at the other centres and Chippenham, they seem to be less packed than Brislington (although one had June only)

Went all round Brislington/Knowle/Longwell Green and other areas today where they might take me on my test. Was pretty good, at roundabouts I'm probably getting better now, although not having the instructor there means it's not the same in that any mistakes I make aren't really picked up on. I keep forgetting to check the mirror when braking though :mad: :mad: :banghead:
Reply 7049
I have a test coming up very, very soon and my instructor is only going to give me lessons on three days before the test. I thought about taking lessons with another driving school alongside my existing one. Is that a good or bad idea?
I really need to pass my second time so dunno if I should try this! But each lesson with my instructor will be 2 hour long....
Reply 7050
itzme
I have a test coming up very, very soon and my instructor is only going to give me lessons on three days before the test. I thought about taking lessons with another driving school alongside my existing one. Is that a good or bad idea?
I really need to pass my second time so dunno if I should try this! But each lesson with my instructor will be 2 hour long....

Probably bad as you would have to get used to the car and the other instructor may do things differently to your main instructor, so that could just end up confusing you more. If you need more practice then just ask your instructor to put more lessons in for you :smile:

Good luck with your test :smile:
My first lesson was yesterday, it was amazing! She said I pull off perfectly, but my instructor thinks I'm a bit of an idiot. She was telling me about the six point check and got me to do it myself, and I looked over my left shoulder, left mirror, rear view mirror, right mirror and over my right shoulder and I was like "so right....where's the sixth point??" and she was like "err in front of you".

It was so fun though, I went up to third gear and did a right and left turn. I did a half reverse round the corner, I pedalled....she steered lol.
I had my first lesson yesterday, was a 2 hour one. Started off with doing the mirror adjusting and stuff, then he told me to go up the road then stop (on a hill). The start off on the hill. Then we went just round this estate, which has loads of junctions and mini-roundabouts (although it was pretty quiet) and parked cars etc! Went up to 3rd gear :biggrin: It was great!
It's my first lesson tomorrow and I'm slightly nervous, especially considering that currently, I know basically nothing about driving! :tongue:
OnlyMe!
It's my first lesson tomorrow and I'm slightly nervous, especially considering that currently, I know basically nothing about driving! :tongue:

Everyone starts out like that! I'm sure you'll love it! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7055
Good you 2 had good first lessons :smile:

OnlyMe!

Don't worry about not knowing nothing. I know basically nothing about cars or driving......which is very wrong, because I'm a 17 year old boy and boys should know everything about cars :rolleyes:

You'll be fine though, how long is your lesson? :smile:
Got my next lesson this morning, hoping for another good one this week!
I just failed, again. Blah.
3 minors, 1 major. Sooo disappointed in myself.
Zack
Good you 2 had good first lessons :smile:

Don't worry about not knowing nothing. I know basically nothing about cars or driving......which is very wrong, because I'm a 17 year old boy and boys should know everything about cars :rolleyes:

You'll be fine though, how long is your lesson? :smile:

It was 2 hours :smile:

It went ok. Of course, the vast majority of the time was spent explaining things. I did drive a little bit. The clutch is very confusing. :p:
thebirthoftragedy
I just failed, again. Blah.
3 minors, 1 major. Sooo disappointed in myself.

awww, that's so annoying, what was the major for?
test in five weeks! I want to do a mock in this weeks lesson, I suppose it is a bit early still though. Practiced manouvers last lesson, messed up reverse round corner on first try, took off the stearing too early. I really do hate RRC with a passion, I find being short doesn't help but I am just **** at it anyway.
Did paralell park aswel, that was ok, got it right first time although I did almost stear the wrong way at one point haha. I have a major left and right problem and going backwards excaberates it!
Also did a turn in the road at the end of the lesson and that was fine.
Other than that, only thing I got told off for was checking my mirror after indicating rather than before, MUST remember not to do that on the test and to stear the correct way and remember left from right annnd to do the reverse round corner properly :woo: sooo many things I am bad at!

Quick Reply

Latest