The Learner driver progression thread Watch

thebirthoftragedy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pepperoni)
Less than 48 hours till the test. I want to be sick, I just know I'm going to screw up
:hugs: you'll be fine! If your instructor thinks you're ready for the test then you must be a good driver. Just keep as calm as possible and treat it like it's just another lesson. Use the lesson before the test to ask your instructor anything you're unsure about, and to practise what you feel are your weak points. Get a good night's sleep and just enjoy the experience. :yep:
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Near Theydon Bois, in Essex. It was in the country.

It had no rider... just running wild and free on the road, until it got tired and started to walk slowly... causing traffic! :eek3:
Eep, that's not good. *Mutters to self* This is why I want to carry an adjustable headcollar in my car at all times...
Impossible princess
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
[QUOTE=kiss_me_now9]So far I've done stopping, starting, starting on a hill, down hill, on a bend. Lots and lots of turns, slowing down, speeding up and gear changes. My instructor has only had to use the brake once when I was going along a road with cars on my side and a car was coming towards us and I couldn't brake and turn in in time because I panicked. That was a few lessons ago. I asked my Dad and he just went on about how I wasn't insured and he couldn't control the car and that he wasn't taking me until he was sure I was in control. I wouldn't mind but my top speed atm is about 15 mph![/QUOTE/]
Your dads got a point about insurance, but if you're on a big open space like an empty car park doing less than 20MPH what's the worst that can happen? haha.
Maybe your dad could come on your lesson with you and see what level you're at before you start learning with him. That way he can judge for himself!
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Exactly, it's not like I'm asking him to take me on the country roads or a dual carriage way or something! I've told him where I'm at and he just shrugs. Annoying. I think he wants me to be doing nearly all the driving in my lessons first, which is just stupid because that will be a while.
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
So far I've done stopping, starting, starting on a hill, down hill, on a bend. Lots and lots of turns, slowing down, speeding up and gear changes. My instructor has only had to use the brake once when I was going along a road with cars on my side and a car was coming towards us and I couldn't brake and turn in in time because I panicked. That was a few lessons ago. I asked my Dad and he just went on about how I wasn't insured and he couldn't control the car and that he wasn't taking me until he was sure I was in control. I wouldn't mind but my top speed atm is about 15 mph!
Realistically, if you aren't confident enough to be driving at speed then I'm inclined to say that you probably aren't confident enough to be out in a car without dual controls. And your dad is right about the insurance, even if you keep it to car parks it is still illegal to drive without it.
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got my 2nd test tomorrow!! Ahhh I really hope I don't fail again! =S
Kirstin85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alex L)
Realistically, if you aren't confident enough to be driving at speed then I'm inclined to say that you probably aren't confident enough to be out in a car without dual controls. And your dad is right about the insurance, even if you keep it to car parks it is still illegal to drive without it.
I would agree, I have had ten lessons now, some of them two hour and am going out with my dad for the first time properly this weekend. It's only now that my instructor hasn't had to touch the dual controls in a good few weeks and that I am driving pretty much independently, keeping up with traffic the majority of the time etc, that I feel confident enough to go out with my dad.
Sensei Ju
Report 9 years ago
That's it!!!! Just failed my third driving test. I've been doing lessons for 14 months now and I was ready for my first driving test 2 months ago. Argh!! It's ridiculous...nobody drives like they're forced to do in a test! How the hell do people ever pass?! I am honest to god the best driver I know and yet I can't frigging pass! No wonder people drive without a licence. I give up. No more.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sensei Ju)
That's it!!!! Just failed my third driving test. I've been doing lessons for 14 months now and I was ready for my first driving test 2 months ago. Argh!! It's ridiculous...nobody drives like they're forced to do in a test! How the hell do people ever pass?! I am honest to god the best driver I know and yet I can't frigging pass! No wonder people drive without a licence. I give up. No more.
. What happened? What did your instructor say? That would be a shame to give up . But yea it's easy to see why many don't drive without a license and insurance! :mad:
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JessicaW)
Oh good. What do you think of this one?
Just had my first lesson with him - he's so much better! I really like him. I'm glad that I changed :yep:. Now to get that theory test done.
JessicaW
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Just had my first lesson with him - he's so much better! I really like him. I'm glad that I changed :yep:. Now to get that theory test done.
Oh goodo! The theory test is really easy. Most of it's just common sense and then road signs and stuff. Oh, and on the hazard perception bit, if you click each hazard twice, you're less likely to lose silly marks because it may not have clicked properly.
xDestinyx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have to wait until June for another Test. That's one whole month! I can't wait that long...
xDestinyx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Actually wait I cant have that date because it's already taken!! So annoyed, the rest of the dates are on Wednesdays or times that my intructor told me not to choose. I think this is a sign that I should give up driving?
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys,

I've got another lesson tomorrow at 12 until 1.

I have a question for you guys.

My instructor keeps telling me to push the gas pedal when we're moving away from traffic lights. However, say if you had the bite point and you had too much gas. Or if you'd started raising the clutch after moving away and had too much gas, what would happen to the car?

Anyone have any tips on moving away at traffic lights?
Locomotion
Report 9 years ago
Less than 48 hours till the test. I want to be sick, I just know I'm going to screw up
No ones gonna die if u fail mate , no big deal!
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys,

My instructor keeps telling me to push the gas pedal when we're moving away from traffic lights. However, say if you had the bite point and you had too much gas. Or if you'd started raising the clutch after moving away and had too much gas, what would happen to the car?

Pepperoni
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks guys!

My very first test is 9.37 tomorrow morning, my heart starts going crazy every time I even think about it. I'm thinking about going out and buying some bananas, as apparantly they contain amino acids which calm you. I had a lesson today, but kept screwing up as I kept thinking what it would be like to be on the test and only getting one chance etc. Especially RRC, I am taking thar maneuver to hell with me.

Anyway, my hopes aren't very high but I'll try and do my best and remember about all those girls in the year below me driving already and how I've been doing it for 14 months, like fran.ha but it's something I've stuggled with. Anyway that's enough ramblings and I guess I'll update tomorrow/
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good luck for everyone with tests tomorrow, quite a few!

Thanks guys!

My very first test is 9.37 tomorrow morning, my heart starts going crazy every time I even think about it. I'm thinking about going out and buying some bananas, as apparantly they contain amino acids which calm you. I had a lesson today, but kept screwing up as I kept thinking what it would be like to be on the test and only getting one chance etc. Especially RRC, I am taking thar maneuver to hell with me.

Anyway, my hopes aren't very high but I'll try and do my best and remember about all those girls in the year below me driving already and how I've been doing it for 14 months, like fran.ha but it's something I've stuggled with. Anyway that's enough ramblings and I guess I'll update tomorrow/
Awww. Yea I hate RRC too!

Good luck, just try and stay calm tomorrow
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys,

DDDenniZZZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
Hey guys,

I tend to just move my feet in opposite directions, E.g. as I lift the clutch from the bite point i slowly add gas. You can drive without the gas, but setting a little gas will make you less likely to stall.

Too much gas isn't a problem, you probably will use a bit more fuel ,more noise and the car may jerk as you get going. Its mainly about clutch control.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (301)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (293)
25.37%
No I don't (561)
48.57%

Watched Threads