The Learner driver progression thread Watch

kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bought a book today - 'Pass both your driving tests', £1.99 in Smiths. It's a bit old (2004 I think) but it goes through everything on the practical test and has help for the theory. I'm not worried about the theory part of the book, I plan to get an actual CD for that, but the written step by step procedures is going to really help I think
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry for the double post, but hey! Just got back from my lesson, which good apart from the bit where I stalled at a busy T junction with some poor sod behind me, and when I nearly ran us into a car because I hadn't looked properly He said that I could drive home today if I wanted, I declined though because although he says I can do it there's a couple of really busy, nasty roads on the way and I don't have the confidence yet - I'm determined to do this slowly and properly, it's a skill that's going to last me a good 50 years so I might as well take my time
DDDenniZZZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
Sorry for the double post, but hey! Just got back from my lesson, which good apart from the bit where I stalled at a busy T junction with some poor sod behind me, and when I nearly ran us into a car because I hadn't looked properly He said that I could drive home today if I wanted, I declined though because although he says I can do it there's a couple of really busy, nasty roads on the way and I don't have the confidence yet - I'm determined to do this slowly and properly, it's a skill that's going to last me a good 50 years so I might as well take my time
Don't worry about it, I drove home on my first ever lesson. Just need to get confidence up, when you drive most drivers will allow room for you to drive around in if needed (like changing lanes).
itzme
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it might sound like a really stupid question, but how do u know that a road will not be enough for two cars and that one of them has to give way? ??????
I always misjudge and this made my instructor brake at sevetral times! And there are times when I think it won't be enough and it actually is!!!! :confused:
so what tips for the test ?What's the safe thing to do if u aren't sure ?
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by itzme)
it might sound like a really stupid question, but how do u know that a road will not be enough for two cars and that one of them has to give way? ??????
I always misjudge and this made my instructor brake at sevetral times! And there are times when I think it won't be enough and it actually is!!!! :confused:
so what tips for the test ?
You have to know the size of the car. It isn't all that difficult, its just a case of looking a a gap and determining whether you and the other car can fit through. Given that you can see the size of both the gap and the other car, the only other thing you need to know is the size of your own vehicle.

What's the safe thing to do if u aren't sure ?
You tell me :smile:
thebirthoftragedy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SC17)
I have a question for anyone who wants to answer it... what would you say is the hardest maneuver? I started lessons last month and have just finished doing a TIR, can do it very well and I didn't think it was very hard. I just hope that's one of the most difficult maneuvers so I know that I should cope relatively well with the others!

So what do you think?
For me, personally: (easiest to most difficult)

1) RRC
2) TIR
3) Parallel Park
4) Bay Park
Tabris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can't be bothered to make a new thread about it, but I really need to get passed as soon as possible.

Cross-thread post.

I'm 20 going on 21. I never really bothered learning to drive until after I turned 19, because I always had friends who could drive around and about so I ended up being comfortable with getting lifts and not bothering myself. I drove for like 3 months, was ready to take my test, then I started Uni. I ended up stopping driving.

Last Summer I spent it in Japan, so I ended up skint and didn't bother driving.

My theory test runs out in July and I need to take my test and pass before then. However, I haven't driven for so long, and am a bit embarrassed about having to start again and get refreshed and going after I've finished with this year of uni. But that doesn't leave me with a lot of time.

It's kinda annoying because I wish I'd started when I was 17 and in school rather than leaving it. But I really need to get it done asap. Thing is, trying to find the time to do it with Uni exams coming up and me planning a trip to NY for 10 days this June.
SC17
Report 9 years ago
Tabris, how far did you get with lessons? Coz if you've still got quite a bit to do then I think it will be quite difficult to pass by July, unless you take an intensive course? Hopefully you'd be able to afford that.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It'll be a push with not being here, when in July does it run out? If it's the end then you have more of a chance.....

Maybe you could see if you could get an instructor and get their ADI number to book a test that would take place before your theory expires, even if it is only say a week before to give you the most time possible to get back up to standard, then you've just gotta try and get enough lessons in during that time.

If you then feel you aren't ready to take the test then cancel it to save the £62 and you would have to then retake the theory and book a test later on, and obviously if you were to fail you would also have to retake the theory to then be able to book another practical .

Unless you are very lucky, it looks like you might only have enough time for 1 test (especially with the trip to NY!) before you theory expires, so IMO it would be best to have that test as late as possible to give you the best possible chance . You could chance getting 2 relatively "short notice" ones though as a backup incase you fail, but then it's getting back up to standard before the first

Good luck with driving again! . If you were up to test standard before, then reading reports from others, it shouldn't take you too long to get back into driving, so even if you were to have say 2 lessons a week it would be possible if you were at a good enough standard before
Poison_Girl
Report 9 years ago
Sorry for the late post but I failed again 3rd time lucky it will have to be!
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right, so thinking of doing this Pass Plus course, and I was wondering how it works..?

I understand that instead of hourly lessons, you kinda do like a block few hours and that you judged on how well you do on that...

Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GεεRTHAN)
Right, so thinking of doing this Pass Plus course, and I was wondering how it works..?

I understand that instead of hourly lessons, you kinda do like a block few hours and that you judged on how well you do on that...

You pay for lessons (although a lot of instructors charge a flat rate, as I think assessment is always done over (6?) lessons) and they just take you to a variety of places, think you work through a programme, then get a certificate at the end of it, if you are good enough. My instructor just charges a “pass plus” price, some may charge for hourly lessons though?

My mate did it and says everyone passes because it's not as intense as a driving test or anything, and even if you mess up a bit it's essentially a lesson, so unless you do something majorly wrong it'll be fine, especially if you have the same instructor as you have had during lessons, because they will remember the good things you did during learning, which could offset "bad" things you do during pass plus. It shouldn't work like that, but they are only human, I'm sure it does

If I pass I probably won’t do it though, because the discount is only valid for 2 years

(Original post by Poison_Girl)
Sorry for the late post but I failed again 3rd time lucky it will have to be!
. What happened? Good luck for 3rd
speedystef
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I falied my test at the beginning of April, I was gutted, I had the perfect route the best manoevours (TIR and BP) and I pulled out of a junction when I thought there was enough room , the car i pulled out in front of didn't beep it's horn or anything like get close to my rear bumper but the examiner deemed it as a fail . I got my test now again on Tuesday and I am not looking forward!!!!
Dr. Robotnik
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Just doing Pass Plus at the mo. Basically you either pay a set fee (around £150) or you pay hourly - depends on your driving school/instructor.

It's just extra lessons on stuff like motorways, night driving, town driving, country lanes etc. No test at the end. The instructor just determines if you have 'achieved' or 'exceeded' expectations for each module (there are six modules).
Geerththanan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
You pay for lessons (although a lot of instructors charge a flat rate, as I think assessment is always done over (6?) lessons) and they just take you to a variety of places, think you work through a programme, then get a certificate at the end of it, if you are good enough. My instructor just charges a “pass plus” price, some may charge for hourly lessons though?

My mate did it and says everyone passes because it's not as intense as a driving test or anything, and even if you mess up a bit it's essentially a lesson, so unless you do something majorly wrong it'll be fine, especially if you have the same instructor as you have had during lessons, because they will remember the good things you did during learning, which could offset "bad" things you do during pass plus. It shouldn't work like that, but they are only human, I'm sure it does

If I pass I probably won’t do it though, because the discount is only valid for 2 years

. What happened? Good luck for 3rd
Oh...is it..? Thought it was like a lifetime full of discount..? :confused:
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh...is it..? Thought it was like a lifetime full of discount..? :confused:
I thought I read valid for 2 years before, but I've been looking again and can only find

"Don’t worry if you haven’t got a car at the moment, you may be able to defer the discount for up to two years. Again, check with your insurance company."
http://www.passplus.org.uk/about_pp.asp

So maybe it is lifetime, but only once you have actually been insured, and you must be insured within 2 years for it to apply, but then it will forever? :confused:

Either way I don't think I'm getting a car for over 2 years, so wouldn't able to defer it for long enough anyway
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ahh theory tomorow! I'm brushing up on the knowledge i have holes in - and one sucker topic is the contra flow/withflow systems. I don't understand what they're about!? Can anyone explain in simple terms? Thanks
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
ahh theory tomorow! I'm brushing up on the knowledge i have holes in - and one sucker topic is the contra flow/withflow systems. I don't understand what they're about!? Can anyone explain in simple terms? Thanks
Contraflow is where traffic is going against the flow of the traffic.

For example on a motorway near us at the moment, cars are driving in 2 lanes, then the lane next to the 2nd lane (what is normally the outside/3rd/overtaking lane) is a lane which has cars travelling in the opposite direction. Not real separation, usually only cones.

This isn't our motorway, an example of a different contraflow system though:

Withflow is when bikes are going in the same direction (think it's only used for bike/bus lanes?) as traffic, so just with the flow of the traffic. Just try and remember the contraflow one as against the flow of traffic, and normally for motorway roadworks . Although I don't think it asks you when it would happen, just shows the sign and asks what it is? I know I had it on my test, can't remember the question though

Good luck for tomorrow
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
Contraflow is where traffic is going against the flow of the traffic.

For example on a motorway near us at the moment, cars are driving in 2 lanes, then the lane next to the 2nd lane (what is normally the outside/3rd/overtaking lane) is a lane which has cars travelling in the opposite direction. Not real separation, usually only cones.

This isn't our motorway, an example of a different contraflow system though:

Withflow is when bikes are going in the same direction (think it's only used for bike/bus lanes?) as traffic, so just with the flow of the traffic. Just try and remember the contraflow one as against the flow of traffic, and normally for motorway roadworks . Although I don't think it asks you when it would happen, just shows the sign and asks what it is? I know I had it on my test, can't remember the question though

Good luck for tomorrow
i think i understand now! i always get the contraflow q's wrong in the practice test, because i have no clue what it is.. but now that shall change. :woo:

okay so withflow is when the traffic is separated e.g. when it comes to a bus or cycle lane. They are going in the same direction. However, contraflow is when one of the lanes has traffic in opposite direction. Simples :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip and the luck dude =D
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
i think i understand now! i always get the contraflow q's wrong in the practice test, because i have no clue what it is.. but now that shall change. :woo:

okay so withflow is when the traffic is separated e.g. when it comes to a bus or cycle lane. They are going in the same direction. However, contraflow is when one of the lanes has traffic in opposite direction. Simples :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip and the luck dude =D
Yep that's it

If that's your only problem section you'll be fine . When are you planning on having your practical?

I really need to pass this annoying practical next week, I'm getting really really bored of driving! Plus I have to spend £95 next week, plus the £62 for the actual test, so failing that first test has cost me about £250 quid in the end! Stupid truck....

I think if I fail again I'll just have a single lesson every 10 days or so until I get another test though, maybe make it so the lesson before the test is 2 or 3 days before the test, then I should get back into it easily enough
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise