Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would be having my very first lesson soon...if it wasn't for the outrageously expensive lesson fees. I've spent hours looking for a reputable yet affordable driving school but to no avail. The cheapest I've come across is £19. If anyone would be willing to help me, could you please try and find an instructor that charges less than £19, £18 is indeed acceptable. I live in Bristol in the Filton area. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sashioni)
    I would be having my very first lesson soon...if it wasn't for the outrageously expensive lesson fees. I've spent hours looking for a reputable yet affordable driving school but to no avail. The cheapest I've come across is £19. If anyone would be willing to help me, could you please try and find an instructor that charges less than £19, £18 is indeed acceptable. I live in Bristol in the Filton area. Thank you.
    I go with the AA and although they charge £19 through their website (that's with the various discounts) my instructor charges me only £18/hr if I pay him directly (if I paid online they would only give him a certain amount of that, whereas if I pay him then he takes it all and then just pays the AA his franchise fees - works out much better for him!)

Book a lesson with the one who charges £19 (I'm guessing that is BSM or the AA) and ask them on your first lesson if they will give you any discounts if you pay them directly. I'm sure most of them probably will
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    £19 is relatively cheap. Well one of my instructors was £15 but he was my next door neighbour, the instuctor i have in edinburgh is £20.

(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    £19 is relatively cheap. Well one of my instructors was £15 but he was my next door neighbour, the instuctor i have in edinburgh is £20.
    I missed you :hugs:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    sorry :hugs: I'm occasionally on msn, - have you booked your test yet?

My instructor says we're going to talk about booking the test on friday - i've only had 2 lessons with this instructor since i needed a new one at uni! hes brilliant! He thinks i could do it in December. :eek:

no sweetie :hugs: we'll see how it pans out
    Oh! that's amazing news! I'm so glad you got a brilliant ADI, you sure deserve it!

ReputationRep:
    i stalled the car for the first time during my lesson today while doing a left turn at a busy junction and there were loads of cars around :eek: :s:
    apart from that i did ok and i drove home as well ;w00t; which i was terrified about but wasnt really that bad :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sashioni)
    I pay £16 a lesson for myself, original price is 17 but a quid off for students.

Just check out Yellow Pages, ring around. Luckily my instructors OK, so its money well spent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    I go with the AA and although they charge £19 through their website (that's with the various discounts) my instructor charges me only £18/hr if I pay him directly (if I paid online they would only give him a certain amount of that, whereas if I pay him then he takes it all and then just pays the AA his franchise fees - works out much better for him!)

Book a lesson with the one who charges £19 (I'm guessing that is BSM or the AA) and ask them on your first lesson if they will give you any discounts if you pay them directly. I'm sure most of them probably will
    That's cheap! Looking through the website, BSM would charge me £27.50 with no discounts and AA would charge £26 after a 50p discount for booking online.

I apid £22.50 to my instructor, who was from a local driving school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    That's cheap! Looking through the website, BSM would charge me £27.50 with no discounts and AA would charge £26 after a 50p discount for booking online.

I apid £22.50 to my instructor, who was from a local driving school.
    Are you in some really random area where there aren't many instructors? I think me living up north and in a city means I get decent rates

And on topic, I had the worst lesson ever today I know everyone on here says that now and then you just have an awful lesson and you have to get over it, but at the start I stalled loads for some stupid reason and all I kept thinking was "This is it, I'm going to have 2 hours of this" which I know was stupid, but it was true :mad:

It's so annoying, because if you have a bad time in one area (i.e. stalling from stationary) it affects the rest of your driving. I did some turn in the roads and some reverse around corners, and none of them were as good as I've done before. The reversing around corners were awful. I honestly think that having had private practice in my Dad's car has actually made me worse because I had started getting used to his.

Sigh

you gotta be careful with private practice I try not to do too much especially now only with manouveres now and again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilian)
    you gotta be careful with private practice I try not to do too much especially now only with manouveres now and again!
    Yes but the annoying thing is that my instructor was the one who suggested it to me because it would help with my clutch control, because it's easier to stall a petrol than a diesel so if I got it sorted in the petrol it would make it easier in my instructor's diesel. He failed to mention that cars do differ quite a lot and if I did so much private practice it would just confuse me when swapping between the cars.

So I tell him today about the private practice (after having forked out £70 for a month's worth of insurance on my Dad's car) and he says "Oh well maybe you shouldn't have any more private practice" :mad: WHY DID HE SUGGEST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN?!?!? Oh man, I had such a bad day today. I have a headache now

awwww :hugs: :hugs: for you buddy. It will be okay promise. It used to hinder me private practice, glad I ddin't give up now because now I have "lilian's car mode" and "geoff's car mode" so I have different spatial awareness, use of accelerator and brake differently(his is a newer car, more sensitive) and a lower bite. Also the indicator stick is on the left and mine's on the right(wierd I know). It will be okay, keep trying you can break through this and never ever give up hope i know you can do this!!!

/end essay.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a 2hr lesson...I was wearing my new trainers; they haven’t been broken in yet, wasn't my best lesson to say the least! Although, I done all the manoeuvres perfect

ReputationRep:
    Just had a 2hr lesson...I was wearing my new trainers; they haven’t been broken in yet, wasn't my best lesson to say the least!
    lol I wore a pair of trainers that are really fat to my lesson last week, I was the same, clutch control was just disastorous!
    Soo, my lesson on monday (6th) was borin tbh, focused on junctions, roundabouts and meeting other cars. Was ok, but my steering's still crap and I stalled cos some taxi driver stopped in the middle of the road to talk to his mate lol I was like "what's he doing? Is he stopping? why would he stop there? Oh he is stopping.." *STALL* I still dunno why I didn't just break!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)

Nope, not BSM or AA. It's a local company called Field School of Motoring.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If you have any friends who have learnt to drive, ask them about their instructor. I've been very lucky and both instructors I have had have been ace. Sometimes its worth paying a little more, since some instructors teach very slowly. You won't know until you've had a few lessons though - so go with the one you've seen, and try it out for a few weeks, if you get on great then i would continue with them.

AA and BSM prices for me were well over £20 with discounts.

I've just booked my test - 12th December! arrrggh! I didn't think i would be test ready till January!

(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    If you have any friends who have learnt to drive, ask them about their instructor. I've been very lucky and both instructors I have had have been ace. Sometimes its worth paying a little more, since some instructors teach very slowly. You won't know until you've had a few lessons though - so go with the one you've seen, and try it out for a few weeks, if you get on great then i would continue with them.

AA and BSM prices for me were well over £20 with discounts.

I've just booked my test - 12th December! arrrggh! I didn't think i would be test ready till January!
    hope you pass :hugs:
    I just seem like a slow learner I guess compared to others.....Oh well...I had a nasty experience with my previous ADI which left me lacking confidence but I can't thank my new one enough!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm fine when i'm just driving, its when something different happens, like for instance druggie's decide to step in the road whilst your driving = instructor does emergency stop. I'm hoping i'll be fine with the test though, at least it doesn't involve driving through edinburgh city centre - which i did today...arrrggghhh!

You'll get there in the end. I think i've just had 2 great instructors. I wouldn't say i'm that confident, but i can move the car relatively safely.

I like your name change!

ReputationRep:
    I've just booked a block of 14 lessons (it was a deal of the first 4 lessons for £60 and then a block of 10 for £190 but if you got them together it saved like another tenner or something, £25 an hour but the blockbookings really seem to be worth it!) and I've booked my theory test for december the 19th, to give me plenty of time to revise and keep up with uni work....oooooh I'm so excited!

I'm at uni and have absolutely no access to a car to practice on between lessons, except maybe when i go home to see my parents which isn't that often, not enough to make a difference, has anyone else found not being able to do private practice in any way detrimental?

I can't wait!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.