Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirstin85)
    ooops...I meant 830pm - 10pm..

Had a really good lesson last night, did the emergency stop which was fine, only did it at 30mph...can imagine it would be scary if you had to do it at 60mph or something! Felt pretty pleased as that was the last thing I had to learn so just have to practice now....feeling much more confident about driving! My instructor keeps saying that I am nearly there, which is good...am hoping to sit my test at the start of July, as my theory test isn't till June 2nd.

Good luck to anyone with tests in the next few days!
    Lol, emergency stop was my last type of maneuver, learn't that the lesson before the day of my test. Passed, also good luck to anyone, just keep them nerves at bay.

ReputationRep:
    I love emergency stop, only done it once though because I did it perfectly :cry:

Good luck for your theory Kirstin85

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Does everyone get an emergency stop in their test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirstin85)
    Thanks!

Does everyone get an emergency stop in their test?
    1 in 3 I think the stats are, so it's just random, in addition to the 2 manoeuvres you'll have to do

ReputationRep:
    WOOOOOO I PASSED MY TEST YESTERDAY!!!!!!
    2 minors/driver faults, both of which were for clipping the kerb...lol.
    good luck to everyone else taking their tests!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do a proper emergency stop, although I did some pretty harsh breaking as the traffic lights changed to amber quite sharpish lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic!)
    WOOOOOO I PASSED MY TEST YESTERDAY!!!!!!
    2 minors/driver faults, both of which were for clipping the kerb...lol.
    good luck to everyone else taking their tests!
    If you had had a harsher examiner..... :eek:

Well done on passing!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I've been driving about 2 months now and I don't think I'm very good!! I was pretty delayed in getting lessons sorted actually- I was 17 way back in June but I had exams, and then we were away all summer, and then had interviews so it's been a little crazy!
    I'm really worried I won't pass before uni...just wanted some indication of where other people were upto at around this amount of time?
    I have 2 hours a week, but my driving instructor said he's going slower with me than with the rest of his pupils due to confidence issues (I had a crazy fear of roads to begin with, but I'm improving).

I know it sounds stupid lol.
    Any advice appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me, myself and I)
    Hi guys,
    I've been driving about 2 months now and I don't think I'm very good!! I was pretty delayed in getting lessons sorted actually- I was 17 way back in June but I had exams, and then we were away all summer, and then had interviews so it's been a little crazy!
    I'm really worried I won't pass before uni...just wanted some indication of where other people were upto at around this amount of time?
    I have 2 hours a week, but my driving instructor said he's going slower with me than with the rest of his pupils due to confidence issues (I had a crazy fear of roads to begin with, but I'm improving).

I know it sounds stupid lol.
    Any advice appreciated!
    I've been driving about the same time as you now (started mid February so 2.5 months with 12 lessons so far). I really want to pass before uni too - I feel like such an idiot for not starting learning to drive earlier really. I think I'm going to book my theory test for the end of June/start of July and hopefully depending on how my lessons go over the next few months try and book my test for August. I think I might go up to 2 lessons a week in the summer though to pick up the pace. I've covered everything now apart from the emergency stop but it's just practice really! I haven't had any problems with the manoueveres so far *touch wood* lol but I hate roundabouts and busy junctions because I'm never quite sure whether I should go or not. I had a bit of a confidence issue at the start too but it's improved a lot over the past 5 lessons or so. I think it's really helped me to try and think about driving through the week so I'm don't forget things and can progress easier in lessons. Or if you can get some private practice that would probably be useful too.

Good luck with your driving and passing your test before uni!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am just asking a question for a friend who has a test on wednesday, the only thing is she has lost the confirmation letter and it is too late to get a replacement. Will she be ok without it? I dont think they even looked at mine when I had my test but looking for reassurance.

Thanks!

Good Luck for anyone with a test this week

Yeah she'll be alright. The letter is kind of redundant when you have to have both parts of your license anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    I've been driving about the same time as you now (started mid February so 2.5 months with 12 lessons so far). I really want to pass before uni too - I feel like such an idiot for not starting learning to drive earlier really. I think I'm going to book my theory test for the end of June/start of July and hopefully depending on how my lessons go over the next few months try and book my test for August. I think I might go up to 2 lessons a week in the summer though to pick up the pace. I've covered everything now apart from the emergency stop but it's just practice really! I haven't had any problems with the manoueveres so far *touch wood* lol but I hate roundabouts and busy junctions because I'm never quite sure whether I should go or not. I had a bit of a confidence issue at the start too but it's improved a lot over the past 5 lessons or so. I think it's really helped me to try and think about driving through the week so I'm don't forget things and can progress easier in lessons. Or if you can get some private practice that would probably be useful too.

Good luck with your driving and passing your test before uni!

I'm honestly terrible though (well I feel like that anyway).
    I started in March and I've had 9 two-hour lessons, I've not done a single manoeuvre and I've not been on a dual carriageway. I'm with Bill Plant and they had an offer (first five lessons for £56) but in the first two hour lesson we spent an hour and a half parked on the side of the road doing theory...and we set off down a residential road and travelled about 10m. Did that 5-6 times.
    As I said earlier I had major confidence issues but I was shocked to find out that some of my friends went on a roundabout in their first lesson!
    I was doing first gear only (I kid you not) for about the first 5 hours of learning. I'm completely stumped- my driving instructor is really nice and he says I need more road experience (I went upto 50mph last lesson) before I tackle anything else.
    I'd rather work on different areas all at once rather than continually trying to perfect the same thing over and over and over again, it's wasting time.
    He tells me we have to "move on" otherwise I'll be stuck on residential roads for the next few months but I just don't know what to do. My confidence has improved now but he doesn't seem to think that..argh!

sorry for the rant..but I'm worried I'll have passed my degree before I know how to drive at this rate, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    Hey,

I am just asking a question for a friend who has a test on wednesday, the only thing is she has lost the confirmation letter and it is too late to get a replacement. Will she be ok without it? I dont think they even looked at mine when I had my test but looking for reassurance.

Thanks!

Good Luck for anyone with a test this week
    They didn't look at mine or my theory thing, would phone up and check though, my instructor did check I had the stuff when I got in the car because he said they wouldn't let me take my test without it, obviously that's the official line, but some places (/examiners) follow it more religiously than others

Ahhh got near enough 6 hours of driving in the next 5 days including 4 hours in 4 days :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    I started in March and I've had 9 two-hour lessons, I've not done a single manoeuvre and I've not been on a dual carriageway. I'm with Bill Plant and they had an offer (first five lessons for £56) but in the first two hour lesson we spent an hour and a half parked on the side of the road doing theory...and we set off down a residential road and travelled about 10m. Did that 5-6 times.
    As I said earlier I had major confidence issues but I was shocked to find out that some of my friends went on a roundabout in their first lesson!
    I was doing first gear only (I kid you not) for about the first 5 hours of learning. I'm completely stumped- my driving instructor is really nice and he says I need more road experience (I went upto 50mph last lesson) before I tackle anything else.
    I'd rather work on different areas all at once rather than continually trying to perfect the same thing over and over and over again, it's wasting time.
    He tells me we have to "move on" otherwise I'll be stuck on residential roads for the next few months but I just don't know what to do. My confidence has improved now but he doesn't seem to think that..argh!

sorry for the rant..but I'm worried I'll have passed my degree before I know how to drive at this rate, haha!
    You won't at 'his' rate he's making you go. 18 Hours of driving and you haven't left gear 1 in the first 5 hours? I got a deal for first 5 hours for £50 then £17 per hour after and I was in gear 3 doing 30mph down a industrial estate in my first lesson.. And I was with a driving school.

Your getting majorly conned, I recommend changing instructor/company completely.

ReputationRep:

Woah even if you were the slowest of learners (which I'm sure you're not) that is rather slow! Maybe you should consider changing instructors? My instructor is great at keeping variety in my lessons to keep me interested and he always says that if we ever hit a point where I'm finding it difficult to progress futher due to confidence issues we'll just work on something else for a while until I feel ready to have another go - there's no point trying to spend ages perfecting one thing to every final detail until it just starts to frustrate you and makes you feel rubbish. I was practically shaking when I first started learning to drive and my instructor is so calm he's made such a difference to my attitude to driving and I'm much more confident as a result.

I'm sure you'll learn to drive before you've passed your degree Just remember, 99% of adults can drive so it can't be completely impossible. Thinking about that got me through a lot of bad patches when I started driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    They didn't look at mine or my theory thing, would phone up and check though, my instructor did check I had the stuff when I got in the car because he said they wouldn't let me take my test without it, obviously that's the official line, but some places (/examiners) follow it more religiously than others

Ahhh got near enough 6 hours of driving in the next 5 days including 4 hours in 4 days :banghead:
    Ahh cool thanks I will tell her, I was hoping to pass before her but that isnt going to happen anymore

Ouch that is a lot of driving... how many hours have you had since your last test? Is this going to be your second test?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool thanks I will tell her, I was hoping to pass before her but that isnt going to happen anymore

Ouch that is a lot of driving... how many hours have you had since your last test? Is this going to be your second test?
    Yea I know what it feels like, I need to pass this week, because a few people I know have tests next week, and I have a feeling 2 or 3 of them will pass....

At the moment 4 1 hour lessons, but then 2 hours tomorrow and 2 on Thursday. Yea my 2nd, hopefully my last but I'm not very confident...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Yea I know what it feels like, I need to pass this week, because a few people I know have tests next week, and I have a feeling 2 or 3 of them will pass....

At the moment 4 1 hour lessons, but then 2 hours tomorrow and 2 on Thursday. Yea my 2nd, hopefully my last but I'm not very confident...
    Have you told anyone about your test? I dont plan on telling anyone when I do mine. I need to pass by June the 5th as I go home after that and am pretty ****** if I have to find another instructor and learn the roads and stuff.

I am sure you will pass as the nerves shouldnt be as bad as the first time considering you know what to expect, what time is your test anyway? I am hoping to get one mid morning so the dual carriageway will be empty so I can just get that bit over with without having to let people in.

I have had 4 hours since I failed and I actually feel ready for it now although nervous as last time was a stupid mistake and am dreading making another one, I bet I get bay park aswell this time and I in this test centre you have to go forward and back about 10 times as it is so small

ReputationRep:
    Have you told anyone about your test? I dont plan on telling anyone when I do mine. I need to pass by June the 5th as I go home after that and am pretty ****** if I have to find another instructor and learn the roads and stuff.

I am sure you will pass as the nerves shouldnt be as bad as the first time considering you know what to expect, what time is your test anyway? I am hoping to get one mid morning so the dual carriageway will be empty so I can just get that bit over with without having to let people in.

I have had 4 hours since I failed and I actually feel ready for it now although nervous as last time was a stupid mistake and am dreading making another one, I bet I get bay park aswell this time and I in this test centre you have to go forward and back about 10 times as it is so small
    I have, but only one of my really good friends, she won't tell anyone though (well she couldn’t if she wanted to, she doesn't know anyone else that I know!) and she would be really supportive if/when I fail, so I don't mind saying and she would find out anyway because of how annoyed I’ll probably be if I fail again!

Yea it's annoying having a deadline, especially when it's so close! Luckily I've got until some time in September, hopefully the end, but it looks like the start . Either way I want it done ASAP (like Friday!), just for practical reasons really. If it’s done too late then it won’t be returned until I’ve already gone, so I’ll have to get it sent on to me at uni, plus I would probably need it for ID, provisional or full, so the sooner the better!

Mines at 15:02, my instructor says that's a changeover one, so some people will be coming back from earlier ones and some will be leaving with me. Hopefully for that reason I won't have to do bay park! I'd rather have that than RRC though!

I think I would complete RRC, but would fail for either going too wide or observation..... (well lack of it!).

My last test was 8:40 and the dual carriageway was practically empty, only 1 car infront of me, so you could be fine still . Although that wasn’t the main Hicksgate one, I bet that was packed

Yea I'm just having these hours this week because it's been like 10 days since I've driven, and cramming it in before the test might help me. I don’t know, but nothing else has so it's worth a shot!

Had my first lesson this morning did alot of driving went round lots of roundabouts down a few dual carriage ways and did some manuvours :P. I find everything fairly easy considering I'v had one lesson so I don't know what to practice, any tips ?

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.