Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Had an ok lesson tonight doing roundabouts, managed to stall on a very busy road turning to get onto my estate and stalled a couple of times BUT I got up to fourth gear and touched 40mph

Next week we're doing manouevers, starting with turn in the road.

ReputationRep:
    I like driving now. It's funnnn.

Apart from the manouevers part.

ReputationRep:
    Test number 3 on friday, am dreading it

ReputationRep:
    I've got a feeling the area I live in isn't helping me get cheap insurance..... they are all coming out at £2,300+ :banghead:. Looks like I'll have to wait til uni (others I know have got £1,800/£1,900) so must be the area, because the cars we are looking up are like almost the same, just some of them live in a much nicer area

(Original post by Poison_Girl)
    Test number 3 on friday, am dreading it
    Good luck! 3rd time lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Had an ok lesson tonight doing roundabouts, managed to stall on a very busy road turning to get onto my estate and stalled a couple of times BUT I got up to fourth gear and touched 40mph

Next week we're doing manouevers, starting with turn in the road.
    wooop

don't worry about the stalling..we all do it from time to time. i've stalled on my own drive (having passed) before!! :tongue:

sounds good..turn in the road will be a piece of cake..bet you master it first or second time round

keep up the good work!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJP)
    wooop

don't worry about the stalling..we all do it from time to time. i've stalled on my own drive (having passed) before!! :tongue:

sounds good..turn in the road will be a piece of cake..bet you master it first or second time round

keep up the good work!!
    Thank you

I forgot to mention the stalling at the roundabout beforehand... Twice. Oops. :o: I know what I do wrong, I put the brake all the way down without putting the clutch down, makes sense to me why it stalls but I can't stop doing it :o: My instructor nearly had a heartattack when I stalled turning onto my estate, I was just like, Damn it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I forgot to mention the stalling at the roundabout beforehand... Twice. Oops. :o: I know what I do wrong, I put the brake all the way down without putting the clutch down, makes sense to me why it stalls but I can't stop doing it :o: My instructor nearly had a heartattack when I stalled turning onto my estate, I was just like, Damn it! :p:
    Do you need to move the seat further forward so that you can put the clutch pedal all the way in with more ease??

Ahh..well it's perfectly normal for learners..I really really would not worry about it! You'll gradually notice that you are stalling less, until it's a total surprise when you do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJP)
    Do you need to move the seat further forward so that you can put the clutch pedal all the way in with more ease??

Ahh..well it's perfectly normal for learners..I really really would not worry about it! You'll gradually notice that you are stalling less, until it's a total surprise when you do..
    You might be onto something there, when I adjusted it at the beginning it seemed a bit far away but I thought it was ok... Maybe I should try a bit further forward next time!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I forgot to mention the stalling at the roundabout beforehand... Twice. Oops. I know what I do wrong, I put the brake all the way down without putting the clutch down, makes sense to me why it stalls but I can't stop doing it My instructor nearly had a heartattack when I stalled turning onto my estate, I was just like, Damn it!
    I'm exactly the same, I know I'm not putting the clutch down in time but I just don't do it anyway lol my instructor is getting really annoyed at me, although last lesson I didn't do it once and she was so happy lol but that will all change!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I'm exactly the same, I know I'm not putting the clutch down in time but I just don't do it anyway lol my instructor is getting really annoyed at me, although last lesson I didn't do it once and she was so happy lol but that will all change!!
    It's better to be doing that than to be doing what I had terrible problems with and putting it down too early and get done for coasting.... You will get used to it eventually though, just trial and error thing, like towards my test my instructor said rather than doing it way too early I was doing it perfectly or just a bit early, so rather than doing it late you will be doing it at the right time soon

Saying all that in past tense.....I'm supposed to be booking a motorway lesson soon! I said I would towards the end of my exam but I still don't have a clue when I can do it (lots of dates, but they can so quickly be filled!)

Also, did anyone get their instructor a present if they went back to them for pass plus or anything like that? I'm thinking a box of chocolates or something, but don't know... I know he takes tablets for something (can't remember what he said they were for though) so chocolates might not be the best thing!

ReputationRep:
    got my first test tomorrow - just gotta stay calm. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused_guy)
    Good luck for tomorrow . If you manage to stay calm that's half the job done

ReputationRep:
    got my first test tomorrow - just gotta stay calm.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!!

Be polite and if your instructor tells you lots of last minute things (like mine did) then make sure you take them all in. Just keep checking your mirrors and showing you are alert, then hopefully you'll have enough ability to carry you through

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Passed my theory this morning . 50/50 on MCQs, YAY, and 53/75 on Hazard Perception, which I'm happy with .

Not posted in here for ages, but I've since pretty much mastered the TIR, and going onto RRC in tomorrow's lesson. I've been practising in my mum's car quite a bit, which has been good, though it's a bit different to drive from my instructor's car, which is expected really.

Generally my driving's going pretty well, I think. I'm hoping that if the other manoeuvres go well then I can take my test in about 2/3 months or so I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    Passed my theory this morning . 50/50 on MCQs, YAY, and 53/75 on Hazard Perception, which I'm happy with .
    Congrats on passing! :five: just had a lesson this morning :cool: If you don't mind purple-girl, how long were you having lessons before you did your theory?

ReputationRep:

Not posted in here for ages, but I've since pretty much mastered the TIR, and going onto RRC in tomorrow's lesson. I've been practising in my mum's car quite a bit, which has been good, though it's a bit different to drive from my instructor's car, which is expected really.

Generally my driving's going pretty well, I think. I'm hoping that if the other manoeuvres go well then I can take my test in about 2/3 months or so I think.
    Congrats Good luck on the practical test!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Well, I had 4 lessons last summer, then didn't really get on the instructor so had a 2 month break and started again in November, and have been having lessons since then. Though due to my instructor having family issues (which are now apparently all fine) I've had to miss a few weeks, but yeah. I've been having lessons for quiiiiite a long time now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Well, I had 4 lessons last summer, then didn't really get on the instructor so had a 2 month break and started again in November, and have been having lessons since then. Though due to my instructor having family issues (which are now apparently all fine) I've had to miss a few weeks, but yeah. I've been having lessons for quiiiiite a long time now.
    cool, i've been learning since december, and was just curious as to how other people were progressing what type of car are you learning in?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.