Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have my first ever driving lesson tommorow. Really looking forward to it. I have no experience of driving at all and no-one in my household drives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Natalie*)
    I have my first ever driving lesson tommorow. Really looking forward to it. I have no experience of driving at all and no-one in my household drives.
    Good luck!!! It's really easy to pick up, and it feels really good once your actually out driving around! Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Yay I passed on Friday, but now I am scared of driving without an instructor for the first time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poison_Girl)
    Yay I passed on Friday, but now I am scared of driving without an instructor for the first time
    Well done! . How many minors did you get?

And yea I know a few that are scared being without an instructor. I'm not scared, I can't wait, but I bet when I get to certain junctions and roundabouts (hicksgate! :mad: :p:) I'll get worried about what if I do something wrong....

ReputationRep:
    hello chaps, thought I'd pop in and announce myself.

I only stalled once yesterday

ReputationRep:
    hello.
    How much did everyones instructor charge you on the day of your test?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I used to post here and then i failed my first and only test (:ninja:) back in September. Summer's coming around and my theory runs out next March so it's now or never really for passing my test! I haven't driven a car since... how do i get back into it? My last test shook me up a lot . When i come back for exams though i'm wanting to get a new instructor, a few refresher lessons and do my test again. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckieee)
    Hello everyone,

I used to post here and then i failed my first and only test (:ninja:) back in September. Summer's coming around and my theory runs out next March so it's now or never really for passing my test! I haven't driven a car since... how do i get back into it? My last test shook me up a lot . When i come back for exams though i'm wanting to get a new instructor, a few refresher lessons and do my test again. Any advice?
    I took a break of around 2 months which isnt the same amount as you but still a big gap, I would suggest booking a lesson just to see what you remember and then ask there advice as to how many lessons you will need. No point in booking a refresher course if you still remember all of it.

ReputationRep:
    I had the worst lesson ever on Saturday. It was horrible. The polo never came, it was a scoda fabia instead, the biting point was so high that I couldn't pull out anywhere and I'm usually great at that.

Figured I can't turn left because everytime I pull my left arm down to steer my right foot goes down on the accelerator, but i've never done that before so I'm blaming the car :p:

After an hour she said I could cancel the lesson and go home and she wouldn't charge me for the hour I had or the hour I would have because of the car, but I carried on. and she's giving me a free thirty minutes woo

Did a turn in the road though, she said it's the easiest manouver to do in different cars and I did it fine

So that's 12 hours down.

She's also giving me a pass plus discount because I'm learning in town and driven in awful rain, so with the £70 back from the council or whatever my passpluss will only cost me £30.

ReputationRep:
    Got maneuver's this morning, not exactly looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    Meh my lesson was crap =\ dunno if it's because I feel a bit ill today I considered cancelling, which I'm glad I didn't now because my instructors on holiday for a couple of weeks next lesson not until June 20th....=\

I mean he told me today my general road skills are fine it's just now my clutch control when coming out of T juctions etc I bring it up way too fast.:p:

So today after driving round for a bit he kept getting me to pull up then obviously pull out but he was like when you release the handbrake don't move your feet let it move slowly then add gas then bring it up slowly which I kinda got so was like.

So off we drove again, had to sit there at this junction for agesss because it was so busy then it was clear it go when I looked but some idiot doing 100mph came so my instructor had to bake. :rolleyes: I was pulling off fine too. :mad:

So yeah done well on two junctions/roundabouts whatever.. kinda came up too fast at some trafficlights.

Then a kid ran in front of me.:mad: There was 10 running around everywhere playing a game with each other.

Grrr, however though my instructor said maybe after his holiday we'd move onto TIR sometime.

So overall today had bad and good parts.
    Probably didn't help like I said before my head was/is thumping.

I'm quite annoyed too, I swear if I didn't drive that bad today we could have done TIR straight away on his return grrrr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    Meh my lesson was crap =\ dunno if it's because I feel a bit ill today I considered cancelling, which I'm glad I didn't now because my instructors on holiday for a couple of weeks next lesson not until June 20th....=\

I mean he told me today my general road skills are fine it's just now my clutch control when coming out of T juctions etc I bring it up way too fast.:p:

So today after driving round for a bit he kept getting me to pull up then obviously pull out but he was like when you release the handbrake don't move your feet let it move slowly then add gas then bring it up slowly which I kinda got so was like.

So off we drove again, had to sit there at this junction for agesss because it was so busy then it was clear it go when I looked but some idiot doing 100mph came so my instructor had to bake. :rolleyes: I was pulling off fine too. :mad:

So yeah done well on two junctions/roundabouts whatever.. kinda came up too fast at some trafficlights.

Then a kid ran in front of me.:mad: There was 10 running around everywhere playing a game with each other.

Grrr, however though my instructor said maybe after his holiday we'd move onto TIR sometime.

I'm quite annoyed too, I swear if I didn't drive that bad today we could have done TIR straight away on his return grrrr...
    Aww sorry to hear about the bad lesson, with clutch control it just clicked for me one lesson and its a lot easier if you dont panic. Starting TIR involves a lot of clutch control as it is done at low speed so it will mean although manoueveres are getting harder they are also a bit easier as your clutch control will be getting better all the time

Good Luck with the next lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    Aww sorry to hear about the bad lesson, with clutch control it just clicked for me one lesson and its a lot easier if you dont panic. Starting TIR involves a lot of clutch control as it is done at low speed so it will mean although manoueveres are getting harder they are also a bit easier as your clutch control will be getting better all the time

Good Luck with the next lesson.

The weird thing is though i'm perfectly fine with the clutch on a quiet road, it's when I look in the mirrors and see a queue of traffic behind my I panic like thinking i'm annoying everyone taking forever. :p:

I told my instructor that and he was like don't worry they'll wait and stuff.

In saying that though it kinda take a few lessons for my gear stick changes to click in maybe it's the same with this..hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    Maneuvers went okay! Next week going to an hour and a half lesson and heading back into the city to put everything I've learnt together.

ReputationRep:
    The weird thing is though i'm perfectly fine with the clutch on a quiet road, it's when I look in the mirrors and see a queue of traffic behind my I panic like thinking i'm annoying everyone taking forever. :p:

I told my instructor that and he was like don't worry they'll wait and stuff.

In saying that though it kinda take a few lessons for my gear stick changes to click in maybe it's the same with this..hmmm.
    I completely agree with tihs.

anyone else accidentally hit accelerator instead of the brake (luckily the clutch was in).

will not be driving in airwalks again.

ReputationRep:

That's a shame with how your lesson went today, sounds really unlucky. The annoying thing is that you can't have a lesson for a few weeks, because it's always good to have a good one and get over it . Doing it ill probably didn't help either, but at least you tried Good luck with TIR when you do it

(Original post by laura-rad)
    Maneuvers went okay! Next week going to an hour and a half lesson and heading back into the city to put everything I've learnt together.
    That's good, hope next week goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Did TIR today - Did three in total, first one was fine, second one was fine, third one was awful!

It's really irratating, when I first try something, I get it right/ok first time, alright the second time and awful after that! Each time we did it we had two cars waiting either side - He said I was good at just doing what I was doing, not panicking (I don't panic... ever, lol) and getting on with it. So yay for that.

Stalled once on the way home, coming out onto a BIG and busy roundabout, I just got a bit nervous and brought the clutch up too fast :o:

ReputationRep:
    Been away from this thread for a while...but thought I would re-visit...hope people are doing well...and passing exams...

Got my Pass Plus in 2 weekends time, looking forward to it though nervous at the same time...

ReputationRep:
    Haha reading some of the posts above reminds me of an experience i had on my 1st test.
    I was asked to do an emergency stop, so i'm driving along and he screams 'stop' so i slam my foot on the break but accidently catch the accelerator at the same time meaning that the car kinda began to stop, roared abit and then i put my clutch down and the ABS cut in.
    Lol sooo yes i have mistakenly hit the accelerator instead of the brake, but only got a minor for it. Ha the examiners face was hillarius when he heard the car trying to accelerate!!

ReputationRep:
    Had such an off day today, couldn't get my parallel parking right, completely missed the brake in my emergency stop (wrong shoes :P) and just felt really...begginerish Test in 2 weeks

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.