Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I failed due to undue hesitation for not overtaking a cyclist on a main road, and eventually another driver overtook both me and the cyclist. I had decided that the bend was too soon and I didn't want to risk it and then after the bend there was a group of 3 cyclists coming in the opposite direction and I didn't want to risk running into them.

It's so annoying because I feel fine during the test, nerves don't really play too much of a part, and generally I do a good drive! It's SO embarassing to have failed this many times. The pressure next time won't help, nothing will help. I feel like there is nothing I can change about my approach to driving to help me pass because I drive safely, do all the manoeuvres well, etc. Today I just erred too far on the side of caution, how ridiculously irritating! I had the same examiner as I had two weeks ago - I liked him a lot then, but this time I obviously hate him lol.

Thanks for your sympathy though, Zack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undiscovered)
    Hardly anyone fails this many times (4).
    I've heard of a good few people who have failed many more times than you and then went on to pass. Don't give up - you WILL get there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I know I actually don't want to give up again, I previously gave up 2 years ago after 2 tests and it was a pain doing the theory and learning things again. I have until April 2011 to pass lol...but really just do not think it will happen! 2 tests then, 2 tests this year, can't really keep this up every year for ever.

What I failed for today, I would actually do it again, or like if I had passed and was on my own. I know people will probably have a go at me for saying that, but I'd rather be over-cautious than, well, not!

ReputationRep:
    What I failed for today, I would actually do it again, or like if I had passed and was on my own. I know people will probably have a go at me for saying that, but I'd rather be over-cautious than, well, not!
    I agree with you on that, better to hold up another car than smash into another one.
    Also, you see loads of drivers on the roads today doing things that someone would fail for in a test, usually things that are much worse than hesitation.

ReputationRep:
    I failed due to undue hesitation for not overtaking a cyclist on a main road, and eventually another driver overtook both me and the cyclist. I had decided that the bend was too soon and I didn't want to risk it and then after the bend there was a group of 3 cyclists coming in the opposite direction and I didn't want to risk running into them.

It's so annoying because I feel fine during the test, nerves don't really play too much of a part, and generally I do a good drive! It's SO embarassing to have failed this many times. The pressure next time won't help, nothing will help. I feel like there is nothing I can change about my approach to driving to help me pass because I drive safely, do all the manoeuvres well, etc. Today I just erred too far on the side of caution, how ridiculously irritating! I had the same examiner as I had two weeks ago - I liked him a lot then, but this time I obviously hate him lol.

That's a shame, must be so annoying failing for that, they are really hot on their "undue hesitation" though

What manoeuvres did you get by the way? It's good you drive well though, you seem really close to passing, it's obviously just such a shame you have to wait again now. How many minors did you get?

Better luck next time . I know what you mean in that you would do it again, I agree that it's better to be hesitant rather than impatient like so many drivers. Like what I failed my first test for, I would do that again in real life, but in the test it's a whole new set of circumstances and everything is all put on (like the extent of mirror checking!) so I would have to stop 30 yards back to satisfy them :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    That's a shame, must be so annoying failing for that, they are really hot on their "undue hesitation" though

What manoeuvres did you get by the way? It's good you drive well though, you seem really close to passing, it's obviously just such a shame you have to wait again now. How many minors did you get?

Better luck next time . I know what you mean in that you would do it again, I agree that it's better to be hesitant rather than impatient like so many drivers. Like what I failed my first test for, I would do that again in real life, but in the test it's a whole new set of circumstances and everything is all put on (like the extent of mirror checking!) so I would have to stop 30 yards back to satisfy them :mad:
    I got TIR and parallel park this time. I've had TIR in all 3 tests I've completed! (One of my fails 2 years ago was abandoned right at the beginning so no manoeuvres in that!). Oh and emergency stop, which worried me a little as the last one I did before today wasn't very good. Pre-test, I felt that PP was my 'worst' but I was still okay at it. Made a minor hash of straightening up at the end and got a minor for control but thankfully did not fail on it. I actually got 8 minors this time, which sounds like loads now as I only got 4 two weeks ago. I'm not really bothered though, personally I know I did nothing to endanger anybody and drove safely and that is all that matters to me. When I pass this test it will probably be the best moment of my life!

Haha, I check mirrors to what feels like extreme levels during the test.

ReputationRep:
    I got TIR and parallel park this time. I've had TIR in all 3 tests I've completed! (One of my fails 2 years ago was abandoned right at the beginning so no manoeuvres in that!). Oh and emergency stop, which worried me a little as the last one I did before today wasn't very good. Pre-test, I felt that PP was my 'worst' but I was still okay at it. Made a minor hash of straightening up at the end and got a minor for control but thankfully did not fail on it. I actually got 8 minors this time, which sounds like loads now as I only got 4 two weeks ago. I'm not really bothered though, personally I know I did nothing to endanger anybody and drove safely and that is all that matters to me. When I pass this test it will probably be the best moment of my life!

Haha, I check mirrors to what feels like extreme levels during the test.
    That's strange having TIR so much! I got it in both of mine too. Yea the minors are fine anyway, I got 10 or 11, something like that in my first one :p:. Yea it's such a great feeling to pass, and because you've been unlucky it will make it even greater

Haha! Yep it's annoying! I've got my motorway lesson on Tuesday, that will be ummm interesting. But it's the last time I drive a car for quite a while...

ReputationRep:
    Ooo good luck with that, sounds exciting!

I suppose at least with failing I get to drive a car again in the near future. I quite like driving - just not with the L over my head!

ReputationRep:
    Ooo good luck with that, sounds exciting!

I suppose at least with failing I get to drive a car again in the near future. I quite like driving - just not with the L over my head!
    Thanks . He says it'll be a lot of joining and overtaking, because just driving in a straight line is obviously boring :p:

Yea I like driving but with the L it's annoying. I'm just so happy that it's all over with and that it doesn't matter how shocking my manoeuvres are anymore

ReputationRep:
    Got my test on friday going to be very nervous, is this the right tecnique for bay parking. Reverse when you get to the steering wheel in line full lock to the right, then straighten up. Cheers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wooo passed my theory, 50/50 for the multiple choice and 58/75 for hazard perception so very happy!

ReputationRep:

I have the exact same problem, but nothing can top what I did on my last test :o:

I had to overtake a cyclist and I'm terrified of doing so. It's my one weakness. As I drove past I gripped the steering wheel really tight and chanted "Oh my god..." over and over until I was past. Needless to say I failed

I've failed four as well, so don't worry about it! You'll pass next time

ReputationRep:
    Wow, good to know someone in a similar situation and as a result of similar circumstances! Hopefully no cyclists will be encountered in September's test, arrghh!

Hope we both pass next time. Have you got a test booked?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, good to know someone in a similar situation and as a result of similar circumstances! Hopefully no cyclists will be encountered in September's test, arrghh!

Hope we both pass next time. Have you got a test booked?
    I had one for last month and I had food poisoning that day and had to cancel. They gave me a new date and ebcause they'd changed it for me, I wasn't allowed to change it again. It's in August

I'm really hoping to pass as I'll be going to Uni in September hopefully and it'll make learning to drive really hard.

ReputationRep:
    I have my test in 2 weeks and im terrified already.

I am so scared incase i fail and have to tell everyone I will feel awful, especially as instructor didnt want me to book.

On a brighter note, i passed another mock yesterday so I know i can do it its just what happens on the day i suppose, as i know nerves will cripple me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madeyoulook)

I am so scared incase i fail and have to tell everyone I will feel awful, especially as instructor didnt want me to book.

On a brighter note, i passed another mock yesterday so I know i can do it its just what happens on the day i suppose, as i know nerves will cripple me!
    Good luck for your test. If you don't want to tell everyone just say you moved it back. If you pass then say you passed, if you don't then say you cancelled it/moved it to Aug etc

(Original post by madhattertom)
    Got my test on friday going to be very nervous, is this the right tecnique for bay parking. Reverse when you get to the steering wheel in line full lock to the right, then straighten up. Cheers
    Good luck for Friday . Sounds about right but I never really got the hang of it until I did my perfect one in the test. I might see if they've got CCTV of that, it was the best I'm ever going to do :p:

(Original post by Couldxbe)
    Wooo passed my theory, 50/50 for the multiple choice and 58/75 for hazard perception so very happy!
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    I had one for last month and I had food poisoning that day and had to cancel. They gave me a new date and ebcause they'd changed it for me, I wasn't allowed to change it again. It's in August

I'm really hoping to pass as I'll be going to Uni in September hopefully and it'll make learning to drive really hard.
    Ah yes, I remember you posting about that now. That's a bit rubbish about not being able to change it. I really, really hate the DSA and their stupid rules.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm moving away in September as well and really need to pass by then basically!

Fingers crossed for both of us.

ReputationRep:
    Ive not booked yet (just started) but hopefully when I do it doesnt go like in the inbetweeners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Well done!! That's great! . What was the other manoeuvre you did?
    Haven't been on here for a bit so I'm only replying to this now! Thank you everybody who congratulated me, I can't believe I did it. Took me three attempts but just to say to everyone, we'll all be drivers eventually
    I got good old turn in the road (had it on all of my tests) and RRC. Possibly one of the most dodgy maneuver I have ever done, almot hit kerb, sorted it, almost did the same again, sorted it, went wide, straightened up. Honestly thought I'd screwed up on that but apparently not, just a minor for control. I think if I got a stricter examiner things might have been different.

That sucks, seriously you see one and you can almost guarantee there will be at least four more of them. My driving instructor had to push me to even overtake them. I hope next time it goes better
    (Original post by madeyoulook)
    Good luck :hugs: Don't let your nerves overtake you, just concentrate on driving as best you can.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I had my mock test yesterday and it went ok. I failed it, but only for one stupid mistake...I didn't move out into the right lane quickly enough to avoid some parked cars and someone behind me had to slow down, so instant fail! Other than that I only got five minors, mainly for silly things and one for my RRC....I am just accepting that I will always get a minor for that as I can't seem to do it without having to correct my steering. Does anyone else think its ridiculous that you can get a minor for that?

Anyway....my instructor was happy with me and told me to book my real test....so am off to do that now....eeek! Also, it's so expensive isn't it!

Hope the driving is going well for everyone else!

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.