Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    That is from the AA Driving Skills Manual so it's pretty comprehensive. The key to manoeuvres is doing them slowly but with brisk use of the steering wheel so I'm sure you can fit all the observations in
    Manoeuvres are the only thing I'm half decent at in driving!
    Yeah same, I can do them pretty well but it's the observations that always get me. Anyways thanks a lot I will now try and memorise that information lol .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Really? :eek: I was told you can do whatever you want. Although TBH you won't need more than 3 in the test, the roads they give you in the test are easy (to the extent that I stopped on a bit of road I would consider normal to be using in my lesson and they told me to go further on to a wider bit, was like "ok then ")
    According to my instructor yes, but you really should manage it in three and if you can't in five then something is pretty wrong.

I don't know if you would actually fail for 7, or get a minor.

ReputationRep:
    Lesson went super awesome today, did all the manoeuvres and only made minor mistakes such as signalled and then checked mirror. Overall, yay!

ReputationRep:
    Drove into Aberdeen today 20 miles country driving, plus 5 miles of duels and then busy city driving to centre. Went well, much better than the first time (when I had only had 2 lessons).

I haven't done duels or roundabouts in my lessons yet, but still did them fine - I don't like roundabouts I have no idea when to pull out it just seems a completely random flow of traffic some people do it wrong, some do it right, some indicate and some don't etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    Have my 2nd test this Friday, 9.37am..
    Good luck for Friday

(Original post by CJN)
    According to my instructor yes, but you really should manage it in three and if you can't in five then something is pretty wrong.

I don't know if you would actually fail for 7, or get a minor.
    Oh right. Yea unless it's a really tight road (which on the test it won't be) then you should do it in 3. I thought if you took too long rather than too many attempts, but then if you need 7 you probably would have taken too long anyway (if you've been doing observation etc correctly anyway). I thought you would just get a minor for control, like if you do the forward movement for the others

(Original post by laura-rad)
    Lesson went super awesome today, did all the manoeuvres and only made minor mistakes such as signalled and then checked mirror. Overall, yay!
    That sounds really good, well done

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have my first test next week, and just have a couple of questions.

Say the examiner asks you to pull over just at the side of the road, when you pull out again, do you indicate??

And what is the procedure for an emergency stop?? (only ever done 2, and that was ages ago). So break sharply, put clutch down just before you stop, hazard lights on straight away... then do you put handbrake on and into neutral? Then when do you take the hazard lights off? Literally as you are pulling out? Do you indicate?? Arggh i'm scared I'm going to do a silly thing wrong!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not you "first" test, it is your driving test.

Say the examiner asks you to pull over just at the side of the road, when you pull out again, do you indicate??
    Yes - if it helps other road users and if there are other cars around then it will so yes.

And what is the procedure for an emergency stop?? (only ever done 2, and that was ages ago). So break sharply, put clutch down just before you stop, hazard lights on straight away... then do you put handbrake on and into neutral? Then when do you take the hazard lights off? Literally as you are pulling out? Do you indicate?? Arggh i'm scared I'm going to do a silly thing wrong!!
    Sorry no idea haven't done them yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_princess)

I've never used hazard lights when doing an emergency stop, and didn't get penalised for it in my test

ReputationRep:
    Test tomorrow at 10am ahhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Test tomorrow at 10am ahhhh
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    For emergency stop you don't need to use hazard lights. I was told to do brake then clutch straight away afterwards. As you'll be in the middle of the road, when you move off you have to check both blindspots

Good luck Joluk

ReputationRep:
    Got the confirmation letter for my practical test booking today, seems very real now! Got my next lesson tomorrow, going to start driving round the roads that the test routes use! Nervous already.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a multistory carpark today had to stop on a hill to get a ticket from the thing.

I put the handbrake on and out of gear so I could do the thing and realised I had never been taught how to start from having the handbreak on on the hill to going forwards without rolling back.

I could have held it on the clutch but it would have been difficult whilst buying a ticket, but how can you stop it rolling back when starting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirstin85)
    Got the confirmation letter for my practical test booking today, seems very real now! Got my next lesson tomorrow, going to start driving round the roads that the test routes use! Nervous already.
    Yea it was only when all the instructions and stuff turn up that it was like :eek:

Good luck

(Original post by CJN)
    I was in a multistory carpark today had to stop on a hill to get a ticket from the thing.

I put the handbrake on and out of gear so I could do the thing and realised I had never been taught how to start from having the handbreak on on the hill to going forwards without rolling back.

I could have held it on the clutch but it would have been difficult whilst buying a ticket, but how can you stop it rolling back when starting?
    You mean you have the handbrake on and, after buying the ticket, want to drive off again? Have to find the biting point and then release the handbrake, then you'll be fine. I was so scared I was going to roll back in my test, so I never held it on the clutch. Well I very rarely do anyway because I'm scared I'll mess it up and smash into someone, but on the test I took so much extra care not to even go back a tiny bit when starting (whereas in real life lots of people go back, like the one the went back and nearly hit my leg (about 2cm difference!) as I was crossing behind her car the other day!)

This time tomorrow morning and I'll be 10 minutes into my last ever lesson

(Original post by C274)
    Hi
    I do this with alarming regularity. I think it's off but I haven't pushed it to the floor, I've just let it fall so it stays on slightly, and then about 5 minutes later, I notice the handbrake warning light. :|
    I put it down to not having driven a car for 2 years now. Did it as I started on my first lesson (as I was coming out of where my instructor parks between lessons) but I remembered from then on!

Went out driving with my dad tonight around the university campus here (which has almost everything I need to practise on without actually going out onto the road) in a Ford Mondeo 2.0TDI and managed to forget to turn off the handbrake again! But that was just nerves at driving a new car and such a powerful one at that - really unforgiving clutch on it so you have to give it a bit of a push to get going without stalling not to mention how close together the accelerator and gas pedals seem to be!! Only went up to about 20 tonight but will hopefully get to go out again tomorrow night for a bit before I go to the gym and perhaps get up in 3rd or even 4th!!!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Biggles)
    not to mention how close together the accelerator and gas pedals seem to be!!
    The accelerator pedal IS the gas pedal, no? :p:

3rd and 4th gears are wonderfully forgiving.

ReputationRep:
    Failed argh!!!!!! :rant:

Everything was going perfect, aced my maneuvers, then i got to this hellish junction. It was on a hill, and it was impossible to see left as the road bended round. First i stalled on the hill and rolled back a bit, but i braked and got ready again. By that time we'd been waiting for ages, so i panicked and decided to go, as soon as i went off a car came zooming round the bend on the left, but i went anyway (as its hard to not keep going when your on a hill) and he failed me for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)

Everything was going perfect, aced my maneuvers, then i got to this hellish junction. It was on a hill, and it was impossible to see left as the road bended round. First i stalled on the hill and rolled back a bit, but i braked and got ready again. By that time we'd been waiting for ages, so i panicked and decided to go, as soon as i went off a car came zooming round the bend on the left, but i went anyway (as its hard to not keep going when your on a hill) and he failed me for it.

Aww dude, unlucky, was close I guess. Rebook it soon and I'm sure you will be fine the second time!!

ReputationRep:
    Just had motorway lesson, thought it would be much harder than that. I kind of want a car now, just to go on the motorway up to London. Am I crazy for seeing the motorway as a kind of game? :p: Even if it was a life threatening one :eek:

Most annoying thing is staying in the middle of my damn lane :mad: Because it was going to the right, obviously very slowly, I had to keep adjusting to the right continuously for like 5 minutes.

Can’t wait to eventually do it on my own
    (Original post by Joluk)

Oh dear . What manoeuvres did you get btw?

Better luck next time, hopefully they take you a different way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    You mean you have the handbrake on and, after buying the ticket, want to drive off again? Have to find the biting point and then release the handbrake, then you'll be fine. I was so scared I was going to roll back in my test, so I never held it on the clutch. Well I very rarely do anyway because I'm scared I'll mess it up and smash into someone, but on the test I took so much extra care not to even go back a tiny bit when starting (whereas in real life lots of people go back, like the one the went back and nearly hit my leg (about 2cm difference!) as I was crossing behind her car the other day!)
    Yeah I had it on and bought a ticket and then wanted to leave but some fancy man in a merc was literally a couple of inches away from the back of my car despite the L plates and the steepest hill I had ever been on.

I managed to bring the clutch up to the bite and gave it lots of revs before letting the hadnbrake off so I didnt stall and I made it I just wanted to know if I was doing it properly thanks for the help.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.