The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Stargirl11
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
hi, i have 8 weeks in the summer to learn to drive, is this realistic?
i was thinking i could have 2 2hr lessons a week plus practise with parents
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No idea what i'm doing wrong with the gas/brake/clutch pedals either. As of late, my starting to move at traffic lights and junctions/roundabouts has been ever so jumpy, and i've almost stalled the car on quite a few occasions too! Anyone got any help on this?

Apart from that, my general driving is fine!
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stargirl11)
hi, i have 8 weeks in the summer to learn to drive, is this realistic?
i was thinking i could have 2 2hr lessons a week plus practise with parents
I'm doing something similar, so I'm really hoping it's possible. 36 hours of tuition is a little less than the DVLA average, but you could make up for that by doing more than 20 hours of private practice. Personally I'm having 2 2hour lessons in July and then stepping it up to 3 2hour lessons in August if I feel I need it.
Good luck, let me know how things are going with you, it's nice to know someone is in the same position as myself
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
No idea what i'm doing wrong with the gas/brake/clutch pedals either. As of late, my starting to move at traffic lights and junctions/roundabouts has been ever so jumpy, and i've almost stalled the car on quite a few occasions too! Anyone got any help on this?

Apart from that, my general driving is fine!
To avoid stalling, make sure you ease off the clutch slowly and smoothly
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bringing the clutch up veryfast with little revs will make you stall. From experience bringing it up very fast with lots of revs makes it very very bumpy and jumpy for like 5 seconds.
twinkle.twinkle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've just booked my theory and was wondering if it was ok to use the theory dislks from 2005/2006? The questions will generally be the same won't they?
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by twinkle.twinkle)
I've just booked my theory and was wondering if it was ok to use the theory dislks from 2005/2006? The questions will generally be the same won't they?
It's better to use those from 2007 onwards as 2007 is when the Highway Code was last updated
I recommend reading the 2007 edidition from cover to cover, and using this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test...7052592&sr=8-1 I used the 07/08 edition but found it incredibly useful.
It also has step by step directions for the test routes used by local centres that could come in handy when doign private practice
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've confused myself over simple things.

I always thought the national speed limit was 60 mph and a white circle with a diagonal black line through it means the national speed limit applies (eg. 60mph). I know that motorways have a limit of 70, but what about dual carriageways? I saw a national speed limit sign on a dual and was doing 60 so I thought ok but my dad said the national speed limit on duals was 70.

What is right?
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That Cd is so good. I have it, it's brilliant!
Woo driving lesson at 4:30 today. Think i'll carry on with TIR, then probably have a drive round after that.
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
I've confused myself over simple things.

I always thought the national speed limit was 60 mph and a white circle with a diagonal black line through it means the national speed limit applies (eg. 60mph). I know that motorways have a limit of 70, but what about dual carriageways? I saw a national speed limit sign on a dual and was doing 60 so I thought ok but my dad said the national speed limit on duals was 70.

What is right?
It is 60 on single roads, but 70 on dual carriageways and motorways
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
It is 60 on single roads, but 70 on dual carriageways and motorways
Ah ok cheers thanks for your help I've just always known it wrongly as 60 :rolleyes:
petromasha
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got my next lesson in 10 mins, 4th lesson, it'll bring the total hours up to 7.

Not looking forward to it

We were supposed to do TIR last week but since it was rush hour all the cars freaked me out and we just carried on as normal up to 3rd and doing turns and blah. I should probably get over the fear of other cars lol :o:

Ohh dear. I'm not very good at this

No point to that....just thought I'd share the despair....someone tell me it gets better!? :woo:
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm no good either lauren :sad: I'm really hoping it does get better - two hour lesson at 3.30 and absolutely bricking it.
madeyoulook
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by laurenmgbowden)

We were supposed to do TIR last week but since it was rush hour all the cars freaked me out and we just carried on as normal up to 3rd and doing turns and blah. I should probably get over the fear of other cars lol :o:

No point to that....just thought I'd share the despair....someone tell me it gets better!? :woo:
I had this kind of fear where busy traffic freaked me out. I still hate pulling in on busy roads etc and get all panicked when asked to do it.

I have my test in less than a week though so better get over it quicklu:rolleyes:

I have never met anyone else who has more problem with pulling up than paralell parking. :o: :o:
Zack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always pull up too wide, or too close. Luckily in my test I managed it ok when they pull you over repeatedly, but it really was just a hope I was somewhere near the pavement...

Even yesterday we pulled over in a parking place just before the motorway, and he had to tell me to get closer to the side lol
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

It gets better
I've only done TIR on a deserted road but from my experience it's really not as bad as it sounds. You'll get over your fear of other cars the more you come across them, trust me
When I first went out on proper roads I was still scared of them but as I was around them more I got used to them. They'll see that you're a learner and most of them will take that into account and give you plenty of time and space. There will be the occasional ******* that cut you up, but that's their problem.
petromasha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
I'm no good either lauren :sad: I'm really hoping it does get better - two hour lesson at 3.30 and absolutely bricking it.
How did yours go?? And how long have you been learning if you don't mind me asking?

I had 2 hours aswell today. Much better this time round I was far happier, although my instructor was a bit like 'sooo...is there any reason you insist on driving in 2nd?' and wasn't too sympathetic when I said it was harder to get down into 1st to pull onto main roads from 3rd lol.
Bit of forced practice and I got much better :p:
Did TIR too, perfect first time somehow! Managed to stall it the 2nd time, I just lost control of my feet and the road was much narrower than the first. But overall, really good

I seem to want to have the clutch down whenever I do anything...don't know why :confused:

I even drove home (avoiding the evil crossroads and level crossing :rolleyes: )
petromasha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by C274)
It gets better There will be the occasional ******* that cut you up, but that's their problem.

haha yeeah some people do insist on doing that but I really don't care-not my problem. they were in my position once. Today though one lady pulled over to let me through, quite out of choice, I had stopped for her to go, she waved me through, and when my instructor said thank you she mouthed something.....and it was really NOT youre welcome We spent the next 10 minutes trying to decode what she said, and settled on something that starts with 'w' and ends in 'ker' :rolleyes:

Silly people. I'm waiting for someone to overtake me again on a corner. I might accidentally smash into them :mmm:
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How did yours go?? And how long have you been learning if you don't mind me asking?

I had 2 hours aswell today. Much better this time round I was far happier, although my instructor was a bit like 'sooo...is there any reason you insist on driving in 2nd?' and wasn't too sympathetic when I said it was harder to get down into 1st to pull onto main roads from 3rd lol.
Bit of forced practice and I got much better :p:
Did TIR too, perfect first time somehow! Managed to stall it the 2nd time, I just lost control of my feet and the road was much narrower than the first. But overall, really good

I seem to want to have the clutch down whenever I do anything...don't know why :confused:

I even drove home (avoiding the evil crossroads and level crossing :rolleyes: )
Mines a bit of a long story. Last year I had about 13 hours of lessons with my old instructor, until he came onto a friend and obviously I didn't want to be in a confined space with him any longer!
That was this time last year, I started lessons again on Friday with a new instructor who basically said my old one was crap (not to mention beign a pervert) and years behind on the up to date practical test. So a lot of the habits I got from him, are in fact, wrong.

My lesson today was my 2nd and 3rd hours, it went a lot better than my disastrous first lesson, I'm finding my new instructor's way of explaining things and method of approaching roundabouts (which terrify me) a lot better. Feeling better about driving in general actually We did bay parkin today which reassured me that I can still do the maneouvres fairly well
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Busy traffic used to freak me out as well, you'll find though the majority of the people are patient and do wait.
Like today when I was doing a TIR I came forward first after steering to the right and stopped for a min. Handbrake on and all that stuff. And there were two cars waiting for me to reverse for what seemed ages, my instructor just flagged them by and they got past no problem. I think if you panic it makes the situation worse than it is is resulting in you stalling or whatever.:p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (4)
44.44%
No - I got the required grades (4)
44.44%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads