The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Sparxy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
That's unlucky. 2 tries isn't bad though, I know a lot of people who took a lot more
I still haven't passed though.. Could still be more, I really hope I pass this 3rd one though or I will go skitzo..
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Quick question people. Say I come to a traffic light system. Red, yellow and green like normal but to the right of the green is a right arrow for the 'filter lane.' Say I wish to turn right and only the green (normal) light is showing, can I go? Or do I have to wait for my arrow? Ta people
Ducklighter
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Captain Biggles)
That was what put me off learning to drive 1st time around when I was 17 (I'm 19 now) and I did actually forget about it since I was havin to pay £20/hour to practise!! Why won't they insure you on their car?? Is it a big/fast car??
Because it's an automatic and a hugee car to be honest is the main reason. Also I can't go on their insurance till I'm 18 as Morethan only let people over 18 on their insurance.
C274
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
Quick question people. Say I come to a traffic light system. Red, yellow and green like normal but to the right of the green is a right arrow for the 'filter lane.' Say I wish to turn right and only the green (normal) light is showing, can I go? Or do I have to wait for my arrow? Ta people
Short answer (I think!): Yes.

Long answer: I think it works like this:
If you want to turn left/right, you can go when only the filter arrow is showing, when only the green light is showing, and when both the arrow and light are showing. (The arrow being the direction you wanna go in).
If you want to go straight on, you can go when only the green light is showing, and when the light and arrow are showing, but you cannot go when there is a red light, regardless of any arrows.
Sparxy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by C274)
Short answer (I think!): Yes.

Long answer: I think it works like this:
If you want to turn left/right, you can go when only the filter arrow is showing, when only the green light is showing, and when both the arrow and light are showing. (The arrow being the direction you wanna go in).
If you want to go straight on, you can go when only the green light is showing, and when the light and arrow are showing, but you cannot go when there is a red light, regardless of any arrows.
I found out on my 2nd driving test that I failed on Friday just gone from my examiner that just a green light (even if the filter light isn't on) you can still go as long as the way is clear, i.e. no cars are coming the opposite way... I got marked down for that as I didn't know and thought it was only the filter light that allowed me to go...

Red light - Stop, must always be behind the line at the traffic lights.

Green light (with or without filter light) - Always get into your filter lane and if the way is clear, you can go and no filter lights are needed to say you can go.

The filter light when it is on just means that the traffic is on red the opposite way meaning you are pretty much safe to go, like you don't have to be checking if it is clear as the lights are red for the oncoming traffic.

Hope that helps! Valuable lesson for me.
TheOneCurlyFry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
went driving for the first time yesterday with my dad... jesus christ that was scary! my dad's expectations were way too high. Aparently he's going to be teaching me how to drive until my first lesson but that's in august! now sure how much of this i can handle.
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a random question.
The other week when I was driving, I usually, when I have to stop at traffic lights/roundabout or whatever for a few mins put the handbrake on gear to/neutral then first or whatever.
But the other week a couple of times when I stopped my instructor was like, oh just put the clutch down and keep your foot on the brake, I only did this a few times and used the handbrake for others.
In your test, will the examiner be looking at you to use the handbrake or whatever. I'm pretty sure they would. It just confused me a bit.:p:
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Enchanté)
The other week when I was driving, I usually, when I have to stop at traffic lights/roundabout or whatever for a few mins put the handbrake on gear to/neutral then first or whatever.
But the other week a couple of times when I stopped my instructor was like, oh just put the clutch down and keep your foot on the brake, I only did this a few times and used the handbrake for others.
In your test, will the examiner be looking at you to use the handbrake or whatever. I'm pretty sure they would. It just confused me a bit.:p:
In the test if you are at traffic lights (or stopped for more than a few seconds) you are expected to use the handbrake. They don't get too fussy about you leaving it in first, but apparently for long stops (like if you get there as it goes red at a very busy junction) it is worth putting it in neutral
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks C274

(Original post by Sparxy)
I found out on my 2nd driving test that I failed on Friday just gone from my examiner that just a green light (even if the filter light isn't on) you can still go as long as the way is clear, i.e. no cars are coming the opposite way... I got marked down for that as I didn't know and thought it was only the filter light that allowed me to go...

Red light - Stop, must always be behind the line at the traffic lights.

Green light (with or without filter light) - Always get into your filter lane and if the way is clear, you can go and no filter lights are needed to say you can go.

The filter light when it is on just means that the traffic is on red the opposite way meaning you are pretty much safe to go, like you don't have to be checking if it is clear as the lights are red for the oncoming traffic.

Hope that helps! Valuable lesson for me.
And aaargh, was that a serious? That sucks. Right ok get it now. So if there's only a green light I have to give way to people coming towards me (as I have to cross their path?) Good luck for your next test. Thanks for the help
DDDenniZZZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks C274

And aaargh, was that a serious? That sucks. Right ok get it now. So if there's only a green light I have to give way to people coming towards me (as I have to cross their path?) Good luck for your next test. Thanks for the help
Yeah always give way to pedestrians, ALWAYS drivers fault if you hit them usually.
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DDDenniZZZ)
Yeah always give way to pedestrians, ALWAYS drivers fault if you hit them usually.
Lmao yunno what I meant. Meant vehicles lol!
Jaytwizzle1000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thetopnotch)
I've done 8 hours, I was hoping to start TIRs soon because I hear they're hard to do and they take time, and I'm also hoping to get my test done before I go back to Uni in September Is 8 hours too soon to start TIRs?
I did my TIR on like my 13th hour so at least you're ahead of me. They're very easy once you know what you're doing.
Sparxy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks C274

Yeah for Awareness / Planning as I stopped at the line behind the traffic lights instead of getting into my filter lane and a car behind me was supposedly 'going to go into us' even though it didn't, meh..

But yeah that is correct, just make sure you always get into your filter lane if it's a green light or your filter light.. Red light you of course stop behind the traffic lights.. If you get into your filter lane and you have a hard time waiting to give way to all oncoming traffic and the traffic lights go red, the oncoming traffic should stop and you should get going ASAP otherwise you'll hold up traffic on your left/right.. :P
DDDenniZZZ
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lmao yunno what I meant. Meant vehicles lol!
Ahhh lol, makes sense...

couldnt be bothered reading full thread. I passed anyways :rolleyes:
Sparxy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DDDenniZZZ)
Ahhh lol, makes sense...

couldnt be bothered reading full thread. I passed anyways :rolleyes:
If you read what she quoted (my post) in the post of hers that you quoted you would of understood what she meant.. :rolleyes:
lilangel890
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sparxy)
Yeah for Awareness / Planning as I stopped at the line behind the traffic lights instead of getting into my filter lane and a car behind me was supposedly 'going to go into us' even though it didn't, meh..

But yeah that is correct, just make sure you always get into your filter lane if it's a green light or your filter light.. Red light you of course stop behind the traffic lights.. If you get into your filter lane and you have a hard time waiting to give way to all oncoming traffic and the traffic lights go red, the oncoming traffic should stop and you should get going ASAP otherwise you'll hold up traffic on your left/right.. :P
Okiedokies, thanks
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Enchanté)
Handbrake should go on when a pause at lights becomes a wait at lights.
thetopnotch
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jaytwizzle1000)
I did my TIR on like my 13th hour so at least you're ahead of me. They're very easy once you know what you're doing.
Ahh thanks for the reassurances I just want to keep the lessons moving and not do one thing repeatedly
girlodnyu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm paying for my lessons myself with birthdayh money and savings (no job) can only afford ten lessons plus the theory test ...what am I going to do after the ten lesson when I'm trying to raise money ...what if i forget everything I learnt?
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by girlodnyu)
I'm paying for my lessons myself with birthdayh money and savings (no job) can only afford ten lessons plus the theory test ...what am I going to do after the ten lesson when I'm trying to raise money ...what if i forget everything I learnt?
You've wasted your birthday money and savings. My opinion? Going for lessons when you know you won't get very far past the basics before you stop again is a total waste of time and money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads