Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone elses instructor ever made them do this:

I'll change gear, put hand back on steering wheel, change gear, put hand back on steering wheel etc...

So a lesson i had a few months back, we were going down this relatively straight piece of road. Straight as far as the eye could see. I changed to 2nd gear, then i went to put my hand back on the steering wheel and before i had chance, my instructor was like "Take your hand off that steering wheel and leave it on the gearstick" haha, i kept wanting to move it, but he wouldn't let me! :p:

He said he was trying to show me that i could steer the car with one hand, and change gear with the other at the same time! Haha, i was thinking 'you really do have a death-wish don't you mate?' :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have this problem - when they change gears it doesn't go in properly and it slips into neutral? I can normally change it back quite quickly, without looking at the gear stick but I'm worried that I'd fail my test for this.

My instructor says it's because I'm not putting the clutch all the way to the floor- but I'm pretty sure I am!

ReputationRep:
    Went out for the 3rd time with my dad today, we decided that i needed to just practice starting and stopping a lot more so we went to a small empty car park and i just did laps of it starting, stopping, starting stopping, starting, stopping, u - turn, starting, stopping, etc over and over lol. I must've done about 50 laps of the place haha, was very helpful though, i didnt stall a single time and by the end of it about 40% of my starts were smooth. (last 2 times i couldnt do a smooth start to save my life).

Also did a little bit of straight reversing for the first time, nothing special but it was a new experience.

ReputationRep:
    Had my 14th (I think) hour today and, as far as normal driving is concerned, I think it's finally clicked. I just felt really comfortable and relaxed just driving around. Unfortunately, roundabouts and manoeuvres are a different story :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    Had my 14th (I think) hour today and, as far as normal driving is concerned, I think it's finally clicked. I just felt really comfortable and relaxed just driving around. Unfortunately, roundabouts and manoeuvres are a different story :|
    For the first bit I am similar now, just seems relaxing and fun driving to local places and small towns just normal stuff doesn't seem hard - same applies with roundabouts though I haven't done them yet so have no idea when to go.

Been out in my dad's car a few times now and I feel I'm really starting to come on a lot. Perhaps I just had a really good night tonight! Got a lesson on Thursday morning so I'll see how I do in that one before I ask when I should be thinking about booking my test. Got at least another 5 lessons to go before I think I should be going for my test, and at the most I could have closer to 8-10 once I know a date (hopefully for mid-September) and at least 15 - 20 hours private practise on the proper roads (been practising around the 'university' campus which has some good roads/car parks to practise in etc.).

How's everyone else getting on since I last posted in here?

ReputationRep:
    I think I have just had that lesson where it all clicks!

10th (and a half) hour-
    I drove the whole time today-away and back, really narrow roads, lights, mini roundabouts, main roads and just generally went much further than normal

Ok so it's still a bit shaky in parts, but as general driving goes, my instructor agreed that it seemed to be much better today and I put everything together well. :p:

My TIR needs work-clutch control is going to take a bit more time.

But yay!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    I think I have just had that lesson where it all clicks!

10th (and a half) hour-
    I drove the whole time today-away and back, really narrow roads, lights, mini roundabouts, main roads and just generally went much further than normal

Ok so it's still a bit shaky in parts, but as general driving goes, my instructor agreed that it seemed to be much better today and I put everything together well. :p:

My TIR needs work-clutch control is going to take a bit more time.

But yay!!
    I had that today! I'm worried that I'll have lost it by the next lesson, but today was gooooood and I actually started to enjoy it for the first time.

It was my 9th lesson, and now I've done all the manoeuvres - just need to polish everything up and fingers crossed I might just be able to pass before uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_time)
    Does anyone else have this problem - when they change gears it doesn't go in properly and it slips into neutral? I can normally change it back quite quickly, without looking at the gear stick but I'm worried that I'd fail my test for this.

My instructor says it's because I'm not putting the clutch all the way to the floor- but I'm pretty sure I am!
    I know exactly what you mean here, and always end up doing it!

On my test i got two minor faults in the gears section. I think one was when i got onto a roundabout, went to put it in gear and there was the most horrible crunching sound ever! The other was for what you mention above, i ended up in neutral.

One more minor fault in the gears bit and i would've failed on that! But as it was, i failed on my blind-spot checks and a stupid mistake on a dual carriageway!

ReputationRep:
    Today lesson was okay. I did everything right looked around round-abouts go when I wanted etc. It's all good to be honnest =]

ReputationRep:
    To those who are battling nerves and/or clutch control:

Whenever I had finished lessons before, my shirt was quite literally translucent with sweat. I became so keen on keeping up with the traffic and the like, I ended up holding it up from stalling so much. The key is simply patience. Holding up the traffic for 5 seconds while you prepare the clutch to the bite and the accelerator to a low level is better than holding up the traffic for 15 seconds by stalling it and doing it all again. Quite literally - screw the other drivers. It's the same with junctions and give-ways, being slow is better than stalling it and being slower. Over time, you'll get quicker. All it takes is practice.

Another problem that I had was clutch control - more specifically, foot shakiness. My leg used to shake uncontrollably and it was ruining my driving. How did I solve it? Heel rocking. Take the extra 2 seconds to find a good spot for your heel and simply pivot the clutch. Let it slide down your foot as you pivot your heel closer to your body (and slide up vice versa). If you feel a little shaky, just put some pressure on your heel and it'll stop. Any driving instructor will tell you that the key to any maneuver is keeping the clutch at a constant and the brake as the variable. Getting the clutch to just before the bite (i.e. on a scale of 1-10 if the bite is a 4, your foot is at 3 or 3.5) will move the car at a speed fast enough for the maneuver. Then just use the brake to slow the car down, and release it as necessary. Never move your left foot.

Finally - if you are having trouble doing one particular thing just ask your instructor if you can focus a lesson on that. My last two lessons (that's two hours) have been solely on roundabouts, for example. Whilst I'm still nowhere near 100% on them, the practice removes the fear and adds to the experience.

FYI I'm on lesson #8 and all maneuvers and general driving ideas have been covered. By taking lessons frequently, and more importantly enjoying them, you should find them a lot easier. Driving is something you'll be doing for the rest of your life, so get used to it.

Final tip before I scour out of here. Think you won't be able to drive properly? Look at all of the seriously stupid people out there (nonsense celebrities and the like) and realize that if they can drive, you can too. And probably a heck of a lot better.

Kyle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    I know exactly what you mean here, and always end up doing it!

On my test i got two minor faults in the gears section. I think one was when i got onto a roundabout, went to put it in gear and there was the most horrible crunching sound ever! The other was for what you mention above, i ended up in neutral.

One more minor fault in the gears bit and i would've failed on that! But as it was, i failed on my blind-spot checks and a stupid mistake on a dual carriageway!
    Nice to know I'm not the only one, this happens to me at least once every lesson! I'm glad it's only a minor on the test, but I still feel like I have so much to learn and my test is a month away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upturnedpalms)
    I had that today! I'm worried that I'll have lost it by the next lesson, but today was gooooood and I actually started to enjoy it for the first time.

It was my 9th lesson, and now I've done all the manoeuvres - just need to polish everything up and fingers crossed I might just be able to pass before uni!

woop go us! It feels great doesn't it!? I enjoyed it as well
    We haven't done all the manoeuvres yet-we've been waiting for the schools to get out because there's about 5 prep schools nearby and while they've been in the roads have been packed and I panic. I'm glad we did it like that because now I'm more confident in my general driver I will (hopefully!) be better with the manoeuvres.

Yay us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)
    woop go us! It feels great doesn't it!? I enjoyed it as well
    We haven't done all the manoeuvres yet-we've been waiting for the schools to get out because there's about 5 prep schools nearby and while they've been in the roads have been packed and I panic. I'm glad we did it like that because now I'm more confident in my general driver I will (hopefully!) be better with the manoeuvres.

Yay us!
    :yes: Yay for us indeed. When do you hope to take your test?

ReputationRep:
    hey 1st post in this thread... thought i'd say how my 1st double lesson went without no previous driving experience at all.
    Managed to gain reasonable control of clutch and started setting off and parking by side of road. Then went onto 2nd gear and left turns.
    My only problem is it takes me like 30 seconds to check mirrors find biting point and move off everytime which is really annoying because normal driviers seem to do it effortlessly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmidtrevolution)
    hey 1st post in this thread... thought i'd say how my 1st double lesson went without no previous driving experience at all.
    Managed to gain reasonable control of clutch and started setting off and parking by side of road. Then went onto 2nd gear and left turns.
    My only problem is it takes me like 30 seconds to check mirrors find biting point and move off everytime which is really annoying because normal driviers seem to do it effortlessly
    Ah, that's not a problem at all, that'll all be effortless to you soon enough, with a bit more experience! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schmidtrevolution)
    You mean setting off from standstill eg. home or at a junction/lights?

At a junction where you should be able to go quickly you should check mirrors before indication, and when you are on the new road check the main mirror but you dont need to any other times unless turning right from major to minor incase someone is overtaking.

It makes it quicker since you can be in 1st or 2nd gear and indicating, just clutch down and stop/slow down, if you need to stop then you can go down to 1st and whilst waiting for the car to come past bring the clutch up to bite so you are ready to go and stuff (important to stop you rolling back on a hill as well).

If you are setting off from somewhere just to start then 30 seconds isn't too bad - just make sure you start the car, clutch down, go into gear then quickly set the gas (doesnt need to be accurate) bring up to bite, grab the handbrake and look around then down with the handbrake and go.

Once you have used the same car a while you will know where it bites much better like my car bites right at the top and is more obvious than my instructors car.

Sorry for the long post :o:

ReputationRep:
    When do you guys suggest taking the theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlodnyu)
    When do you guys suggest taking the theory?
    Any time - you can pass it without ever having driven it's just practice and revision.

I took mine after a month of lessons, but I could have taken it earlier.

You need to have sat the theory completely before you can even book your final test, so if your theory waiting list is 4 weeks and the practical is 6 weeks you will be waiting 10 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, loads of people are clicking

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.