The Learner driver progression thread Watch

scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Last couple of lessons have gone well by my standards :p: I struggle with uphill clutch control though, has anyone got any tips on it?

EDIT: realised how that sounds. I'm awful at driving so my standards are pretty low :p: But I'm pleased with how the last few lessons have gone anyway.
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Last couple of lessons have gone well by my standards :p: I struggle with uphill clutch control though, has anyone got any tips on it?
Lots of revs on hills.

Do you mean where the instructor makes you stop on a hill and asks you to go like forwards, backwards and stop using the clutch?

If so then only tiny movements are needed, since the bite is very small. Going forwards uphill will need a bit more revs than usual to stop stalling, and remember going backwards you will gain speed very quickly.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Lots of revs on hills.

Do you mean where the instructor makes you stop on a hill and asks you to go like forwards, backwards and stop using the clutch?

If so then only tiny movements are needed, since the bite is very small. Going forwards uphill will need a bit more revs than usual to stop stalling, and remember going backwards you will gain speed very quickly.
Yeah thats exactly what I mean. I find it so hard to control the clutch in order to stay still, go back, or forwards. I guess it's just down to practice.
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Yeah thats exactly what I mean. I find it so hard to control the clutch in order to stay still, go back, or forwards. I guess it's just down to practice.
Yeah it is - just don't move the clutch much it is really tiny movements - you will never have to do it again but its really useful since at junctions and stuff on a hill you might stop its way easier to hold it on the clutch since on a slight hill you might roll back holding on the clutch is very useful so you dont need the handbrake.
small&mighty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Failed

My instructor said I shouldn't have though. I was coming up to turn right into a road, and it was one of those roads where there's a bollard in the middle, and I slowed down as I was thinking which side to go up (I get confused there's some weird roads here!), then carried on and went up the correct side, but I got a serious for not responding to traffic signs (i.e. the bollard ), when I obviously did!
CJN
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by small&mighty)
Failed

My instructor said I shouldn't have though. I was coming up to turn right into a road, and it was one of those roads where there's a bollard in the middle, and I slowed down as I was thinking which side to go up (I get confused there's some weird roads here!), then carried on and went up the correct side, but I got a serious for not responding to traffic signs (i.e. the bollard ), when I obviously did!
Oh dear, better luck with your next test - my instructor says there is a lot of randomness to the test and really it is easy for very good drivers to fail, how many minors did you get?
upturnedpalms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by small&mighty)
Failed

Ugh, sorry, that just sounds like really bad luck.
that_time
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had a pretty good lesson today. Spent ages on parrallel park - but it's really starting to click now, I'm much better at controlling the clutch and turning at the right time. Also, in terms of general driving, I didn't have that problem where I accidently slip into neutral which normally happens to me at least once a lesson and managed to deal with a few roundabouts pretty well - although they weren't particularly big ones.

Downside was reverse round sweeping corner. I find this the hardest of all the manouveres. I just can't seem to get the hang of which way I'm supposed to be turning the wheel and by how much when I'm trying to get round, and then I panic and the let the clutch up too quick and go into the kerb :o:
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by that_time)
Had a pretty good lesson today. Spent ages on parrallel park - but it's really starting to click now, I'm much better at controlling the clutch and turning at the right time. Also, in terms of general driving, I didn't have that problem where I accidently slip into neutral which normally happens to me at least once a lesson and managed to deal with a few roundabouts pretty well - although they weren't particularly big ones.

Downside was reverse round sweeping corner. I find this the hardest of all the manouveres. I just can't seem to get the hang of which way I'm supposed to be turning the wheel and by how much when I'm trying to get round, and then I panic and the let the clutch up too quick and go into the kerb :o:
Yeah, I get so confused about which way to turn the wheel when I'm reversing round corners. I still need direction from my instructor. Ah well, practice is the answer.
TheOneCurlyFry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey guys, i'm havng my first lesson on monday and so far i've driven with my dad 3 times in my car (shared between me and my brother). Now apparently my instructors car is a diesel while mine is a petrol, will it be different? if so how hard will it be to adjust from practicing in my car to learning in his car?
small&mighty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by upturnedpalms)
Ugh, sorry, that just sounds like really bad luck.
I know. It was the same examiner as before as well so that put me off at first. It's just so annoying, especially when they say at the end 'oh you're a really good driver, but you've failed'

Only got 4 minors - again!
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am ok at driving. I have my test booked for next month.
I struggle with reversing round a corner. I can sometimes do it but sometimes totally mess it up.
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just had a 2 hour lesson and, again, didn't stall once! Maybe (fingers crossed) I'm past the stalling stage! Also did reverse parallel park, TIR and RRC, and a bit more fourth gear and 40MPH roads.

Re RRC - does anyone else find it difficult to differentiate between smooth and sharp corners (or whatever your instructor calls them)?
small&mighty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always struggled with RRC during lessons, but have had it on all my tests and got it perfect every time . I think sweeping corners are easier, even though you have to judge it more and stuff, but maybe that's just me.
Pirouette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I almost passed out in my lesson today. Was doing a RRC and had turned round to look around the back window. It wasn't for a few minutes when I realised I was incredibly light headed and could hardly see anything! I think I must have strained my neck too much. Such a stupid thing to do. The manouvere was perfect though! XDD

Been told I can book my test, but the sodding website is down so I'll have to wait until Tuesday. Bloody typical >_<
milliondollarcorpse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Failed today. 8 minors and 1 dangerous, I zoned out while driving down a country road and went to turn a bend at 40mph which I couldn't see around. He actually had to tell me to slow down, and I knew straight away I had obviously failed. I'm not too annoyed though, it was my first test and I thought I could've done a lot worse

The most annoying thing is my instructor seemed really decent and generous with the marking, I just hope I have the same luck with that next time.
milliondollarcorpse
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I get so confused about which way to turn the wheel when I'm reversing round corners. I still need direction from my instructor. Ah well, practice is the answer.
Do you look behind you when you turn the wheel? I find that helps
upturnedpalms
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
Do you look behind you when you turn the wheel? I find that helps
Yeah, I do try... it's just so counter-intuitive!

Sorry about your test today. Going to book another straight away?
milliondollarcorpse
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I do try... it's just so counter-intuitive!

Sorry about your test today. Going to book another straight away?
Yeah I'm with Pass Promise (BSM) and they pay for me to take my next test so they're booking me another one today

Looking through your post you seem to be pretty similar to how I was not so long ago. I used to always get confused about which way to turn, though I had lessons for a week straight where we just did maneuvers and it really stuck in my head after, I'd recommend doing so if it's possible.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha, i see i'm not the only person who hates the reverse around the corner manouevre! :p:

Last Thursday my instructor had me do a sweeping left reverse, and man did i make a right royal hash of it! :o: I was on the pavement, touched the kerb and everything. I was even half on the pavement when a woman walked past with a pram, good job we had the big words BSM on the car! :o: I wanted to give up at it, but my instructor kept making me go forwards and then backwards again until i got it round... :rolleyes: It was a real site to see! :yes:

Yesterday though, he had me do a sharp left reverse. I managed to get it round the corner. :woo: But at the start i went too far past the corner, like half a mile up the road. He said i made life very hard for myself because i had to keep on stopping for cars to go past me! :rolleyes: Oh and at the end of manouevre, i did my usual trick and slammed the clutch down so the car was rolling forwards and i never noticed til instructor said! :o:

BUT i can guarantee you that that corner i managed yesterday, will be a once in a blue moon thing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (33)
97.06%
No (1)
2.94%

Watched Threads