The Learner driver progression thread Watch

FrustratedHistorian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a two hr lesson this morning..my 4th lesson so far. I started to go onto gear changes from the 2nd lesson. Now i'm moving up to 3rd gear which i'm proud of. In comparison to last week...my 1st right turn was daughting. When i drove up to the junction..i accidently pressed on the gas pedal rather than the foot brakes, nearly crashing into an parked car.

Right turns are much better...but its the positioning & knowing when to turn is hard to judge. This morning i started to move off & stopping at junctions - applying the stopping distances.

I'm worried about the next two lessons...my instructor wants me to work on maneuvers: stating i will be learning the 3 point turn on my 5 & 6th lesson additionally, driving home That's scary because i live on Green Lanes D:
DiamondsAreForever
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I've just booked my first driving lesson, its on Friday at 2 o'clock I'm far too excited. Its an hour and a half long, what should I expect? I'm a complete beginner by the way .
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done to everyone who had lessons today.

I've got a two hour lesson after work on Thursday, soooooo damn excited!
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a two hour lesson at 3.30, then another tomorrow and Friday and Sunday Hopefully this week will really get my confidence up.
vintage_007
Report 9 years ago
i've had 6 lessons and so far only done left turns, right turns, gear change, one traffic light - i want to go faster!!!! driving home next lesson with roundabouts and crossroads...so scared any advice help!
^ lessons - are they an hour long or two? I've had 3 two-hour long lessons and drove home on my first one - I swear my instructor has no fear!

That's not bad for 6 lessons though - that's pretty much the basics as they like to concentrate on gear changing it seems before getting into anything too complicated (I'm scared of reversing, A roads and parking!).

But yeah, I've done quite a few junctions and roundabouts and they're really nothing to worry about - just take your time and think ahead (apparently that'a my problem - my 'anticipation!).

Be prepared for losers to beep at you just 'cause you're a learner, even if you did nothing wrong and just smile through it. Make sure you know which way you're tuning and which lane you need to be in.

Put on indicators as soon as it wont be misleading to other drivers and change down into 2nd, then 1st if you come to a complete stop.

If you're at traffic lights or in a queue of traffic, always put your handbrake on as it's easier than mastering clutch control. Only thing is then you have to find the biting point preety quickly to avoid annoying people behind you but don't be afraid of revs and come off the clutch nice and slowly. If you feel you're going to stall, put your foot back down on the clutch and try again.

When turning, use the clutch lots and try not to use the accelerator too much, otherwise you'll have to steer more quickly and you'll shoot off - better to be too heavy on the brakes than on the accelerator.

Turn off your indicators when you've turned, if they haven't cancelled themselves, but try not to do it on a bend or when you should be changing gear.

Okay, I hope that helps - good luck, you'll be fine! Just remember to think ahead and mentally go through what you should be doing, whilst listening to the instructor. And never take anything for granted - i.e that people will give way or actually stop at traffic lights. Better to be over-cautious than crash! x

Well I've just booked my first driving lesson, its on Friday at 2 o'clock I'm far too excited. Its an hour and a half long, what should I expect? I'm a complete beginner by the way .
Okay, it's a little hard to know what to expect as each instructor is different and it depends on the roads around your area. Still, remember they're used to complete novices and people who're nervous (I was!) so don't stress yourself out and just enjoy it!

The main thing you'll probably be mastering is clutch control and moving away and stopping. Most likely to be on a nice quiet little road with few hazards.

Make sure you know the basic road signs and road markings just in case and obviously the controls. They'll teach you the cockpit drill - seat, headrest, mirrors and then you'll begin starting off and moving away.

They'll probably try and get you to park reasonably close to the curb and to realise the alterations in perspective from sitting in the passenger seat.

Make sure you're alert and well-rested and fed! Wear comfy shoes and no loose fitting or flared trousers.

Take a hair tie if you've got long hair incase you get too hot and don't have uncomfortable crap in your pocket.

Make sure you always listen to the engine and maybe do some research on clutch control and the way in which the clutch works if you feel that might help (it did for me!). When trying to find the biting point, try to do tiny movements with your feet and listen to the car for when it's reading to move away. Then, it might help to look in the rearview mirror to see when the car lifts slightly as this can help too.

They'll teach you all about blindspots and the different views of different mirrors too.

Don't worry about making mistakes - they have dual-control to correct them and don't think you're rubbish if the instructor uses them a lot in your first lesson - it doesnt mean you're a bad driver and you will progress so quickly

I hope that helps - the main things to remember are that they wont be expecting too much from you in the first lesson and prepare yourself with research if you think it will help. Start watching when you're a passenger when they change gear, steering, indicators and anticipation of other cars.

Also, make sure you're comfortable with they instructor - if they yell (in a non-life-threatening situation) or make you feel stupid or inadequatw, they're probably rubbish and not the one for you.

Don't be afraid to shop around driving schools - what works for one learner may not work for another and there's no shame in changing. Chances are, they'll try to get you to book another lesson with them there and then but if you're not happy to, say you want to go away and think about it, or honestly tell them that you want to try out a few different instructors first. Take contact details incase you change your mind but don't let them pressure you if you're not happy

Sorry if that sounded a bit scary! Quote me or PM me if you need any help x
explosions hurt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
Well before I booked my first lesson I drove around an empty car park with my mum as well as a long quiet road for about 2 hours and I think it helped a lot (though i did stall her car about 20 times lol). You learn the basics of starting the car which is actually pretty tricky and gear changes. But it definitely makes the first lesson a lot easier. I only had my first lesson yesterday and I drove from the start, did gears 1-4, left and right turns, one traffic light and a first exit on a roundabout. It probably all depends on your instructor because mine has been doing it for about 20 years so I think he is a good teacher and doesn't hold you back etc.
The main thing is try to remain calm and thing of it like dodgems (but don't try and bump into too many people)
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had my 7th lesson and booked my test for the 24th of September
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Had my 7th lesson and booked my test for the 24th of September
You're taking your test the same day as i'm taking my second test. What time is yours at? Mine is at 12.43.
CJN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
You're taking your test the same day as i'm taking my second test. What time is yours at? Mine is at 12.43.
Awesome lol its in the morning sometime its s strange time I think 10:44 but not sure and can't be bothered going to look.

I hope I pass would be soooo good.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJN)
Awesome lol its in the morning sometime its s strange time I think 10:44 but not sure and can't be bothered going to look.

I hope I pass would be soooo good.
Fingers crossed that 24th September brings luck to the both of us!
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Gah... I'm on my 6th hour of driving now (3rd lesson + 1 theory lesson) and I make so many mistakes it's unbeliviable. I'm surprised my tutor hasn't gone crazy from all the mistakes, especially when I'm telling him I understand but forget it when I'm driving.

Mistakes so far.
- My reference points seem off.
- I can't really turn properly.
- I have trouble slowing down before a junction and then moving off.
- I'm too rigid when I holding onto the wheel.
- I usually don't steer enough, occasionally stirring too much.

- I travel at the pace of 10mph so I'm still usually in 2nd gear.
- Stalled an incredible amount of times, sometimes during turning points.
- I mistake the handbreak for clutch sometimes.

OH DEAR!!!
petromasha
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just booked my theory for next Tuesday, 3.30pm

I'm quite confident I'll pass-no issues with the multiple choice stuff, but it's sometimes a bit hit and miss with hazard perception-sometimes I see a hazard, click, and it turns out I've clicked before the scoring window has opened by like a fraction of a second!
Other times I get the 'unacceptable response' even though I'm not cheating! :woo: :rolleyes:

Just have to do lots of practise this week.

Also, anyone else find some of the questions beyond ridiculous?

The one that springs to mind is to do with what you'd do if you meet someone herding sheep in the road. I've lived in rural somerset...can't say there were too many shepherds about...:rolleyes:
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cy4nide)
Should you indicate when overtaking on a regular road? Obviously on dual carriageways you have the overtaking lane but on a normal road if there's a cyclist or a slow moving car in front of you and nothing coming the other way would you indicate moving out and then moving back in?

My best friend does it but when I was out with a family friend in my car the other day they didn't mention it.
Yes, yes, yes! You really should. It gives the driver of the vehicle you're gonna overtake an idea, and helps the people behind (what is that silly fool doing?!) won't occur. And also people coming towards you (hopefully in the distance!)

Speaking of overtaking. Mum finally let me drive XD Got overtaken twice though. It's a 40 road, my speed - 38. Complete idiot behind pulled out right as there was a car coming. Sure there was gonna be an accident right before me. That was pretty scary!

Got some strange problem with gear changes though. With my diesel learning car I give it a little gas and slightly more as I raise the clutch slowly. It doesn't jerk or roar. However on mum's car it either does one or the other. I've tried no gas/lots of gas/simultaneous up+down (clutch,gas) but I dunno. Any tips?
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Last lesson tomorrow for like 3 weeks. Meh.
I'll come back and everything will be forgotten haha. Well it probably won't but that's why my instructor didn't do bay park last week, he thought it a bit pointless for me to get used to it before I return.
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Had a rather good lesson today . Apparently I do my manoeuvres too quickly and I almost crashed, and hence stalled, at this big junction, but otherwise it's going well, and I am now sure that I am capable of passing at least =). 1 more lesson before test day, eep!
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purple-girl)
Had a rather good lesson today . Apparently I do my manoeuvres too quickly and I almost crashed, and hence stalled, at this big junction, but otherwise it's going well, and I am now sure that I am capable of passing at least =). 1 more lesson before test day, eep!
That's happened to me loadsss! I've had quite a few occasions where i've come up to a give-way line, or a roundabout and nearly gone when there's been a car coming! Instructor's always pressed the brake quicker than a flash of lightning, so then i stall and have to go through the process of starting it all back up again! :o: Soooo damn annoying... :rolleyes: My judgement of when to go is terrible!
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by laurenmgbowden)
Just booked my theory for next Tuesday, 3.30pm

I'm quite confident I'll pass-no issues with the multiple choice stuff, but it's sometimes a bit hit and miss with hazard perception-sometimes I see a hazard, click, and it turns out I've clicked before the scoring window has opened by like a fraction of a second!
Other times I get the 'unacceptable response' even though I'm not cheating! :woo: :rolleyes:

Just have to do lots of practise this week.

Also, anyone else find some of the questions beyond ridiculous?

The one that springs to mind is to do with what you'd do if you meet someone herding sheep in the road. I've lived in rural somerset...can't say there were too many shepherds about...:rolleyes:
With the hazard perception, make sure you click when you first spot the hazard and then when the situation progresses. For example I clicked three or four times for each thing that I thought was a hazard - that way you're more likely to be in the scoring window
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
That's happened to me loadsss! I've had quite a few occasions where i've come up to a give-way line, or a roundabout and nearly gone when there's been a car coming! Instructor's always pressed the brake quicker than a flash of lightning, so then i stall and have to go through the process of starting it all back up again! :o: Soooo damn annoying... :rolleyes: My judgement of when to go is terrible!
Well, this time I was just going too fast, was turning right on the top of a hill and this other car was coming right towards me...not good XD. At least I'll know not to do that next time
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just a quick question, I have a lesson tomorow and need to improve my dual carriageway skills (i always get nervous going at 40mph) :o: I forgot, what lane should i be travelling in, right or left??

thanks
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
Just a quick question, I have a lesson tomorow and need to improve my dual carriageway skills (i always get nervous going at 40mph) :o: I forgot, what lane should i be travelling in, right or left??

thanks
This is the exact thing i failed my first test on a few weeks ago, so i can tell you you should be in the left hand lane. The right lane is used for overtaking, but you MUST move back to the left after overtaking.
I overtook something, and then didn't think i had enough room to move back to the left so was stuck in the right! :rolleyes:

Oh, and i'm completely with you on being nervous travelling at 40mph or above! I go along at like 30mph, and always get my instructor telling me to floor the accelarator! :p: Hate it cos when i do, my steering goes all wonky! He wanted me to get it up to 60mph on this road 2 lessons ago, and i nearly crashed us into a kerb while changing into 5th gear! :eek3:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads