The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8600
eden
my instructor always drives when he picks me up so far (had 3 lessons / 4 hrs), to a quiet location then we swap. he explains stuff using diagrams etc from the passenger seat, for 15/20 minutes, then we drive. So on the 1st (1hr) lesson i drove about 30 mins. he just got me to pull over when he wanted to explain anything / make a point. Then swapped and he drove me home. same on my second (1hr) lesson.

On my 3rd lesson (2hr) we went on main roads, but after a 20 odd minute bit of theory of turning/emerging etc first, follwed by some practice on quiet roads. got me to pull over, and on the main roads talked me through everything, even the basics i'd been learning. and i drove home. didnt dump me in anything though like yours did.

sounds really odd how your instructor did it though, if he's ok now then good, but if hes still not great you could always find another once youve used up your prepaid lessons

I think part of the problem was lack of a quiet place for me to drive where I live and being stuck in traffic for ages in lesson 3. I drove home on my 4th lesson (I live up a very steep uphill off a main road going downhill) and started driving from the beginning after that.

Another thing I was wondering, he still tells me exactly what I need to do and when all the time. Is that normal, after 7 lessons?
small&mighty
Yeah I hope so. I really hope I pass, I think I'll give up and sell my car if I don't. My family think my car is cursed lol, I'm starting to believe it is! Have you put in for your test yet?

This your first time? Yeah my test is in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it'll be 2nd time lucky like my great mate (:biggrin:) who had the same driving instructor.

Managed to oversteer at a mini rdbout today. Was looking but accidently still steering at the same time lol (while I was waiting to go). Back wheels went right over the kerb. Mother was not impressed! :P
Meliae
For my first 4 lessons, my instructor did most of the driving. Is that normal? They were an hour and a half long. First lesson, I did no driving whatsoever other than 5 minutes at the end starting the car and moving about a foot forward. Second and third lessons, I drove for about half an hour, and for the fourth I drove for about 45 mins.

My instructor spent absolutely ages just driving around telling me what he was doing. I mean, fair enough for a little while but it was seriously annoying when he was still doing it on lesson 4. If he'd let me say what I thought should happen, that'd have been more useful. I don't think I got anything out of it. The rest of the time was spent explaining things like traffic lights.

I was also surprised that on lesson 2, he completely threw me in at the deep end and told me to turn straight onto a main road before I'd had a chance to get to grips with the controls.

Had 7 lessons now (or less than 6.5 hours of driving out of 10.5 paid for, all at the full rate) and I'm happy with my instructor now, but those first few lessons feel like a complete rip off. I wasn't expecting to do all the driving at the beginning and obviously some things needed to be explained but was that excessive?

When i changed to BSM in November, my instructor drove us to a quiet place for the first 10 mins of my first lesson, just so that he could see i was driving the car correctly (i'd had a few lessons with a **** private instructor before BSM).

There's only four times since i've been having lessons with him, that he's actually driven the car.

Two times were after my lesson had finished, i'd forgotten to get the money out. So we went to the cash machine at my local Asda. I drove us there, then he drove us back seen as my lesson was over.

Once was when he drove me home from my test a few weeks ago, which i had failed! Grrrrr.

The other time was last Thursday. He made me pull up at the side of the road, and told me to get in the passenger seat as he wanted to demonstrate something. Apparently, you have to get up to 3rd gear pretty quickly, but i do it very slowly cos i like to have both hands on the steering wheel. (I.e. i'll go from 1st to 2nd, put hand on steering wheel, into 3rd, back on steering wheel). :yes: He wanted to demonstrate that i could steer the car with one hand, and change gear with the other. So he drove us about 3 miles round our area one handed. :yes: Then he made me try it!
lilangel890
This your first time? Yeah my test is in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it'll be 2nd time lucky like my great mate (:biggrin:) who had the same driving instructor.

Managed to oversteer at a mini rdbout today. Was looking but accidently still steering at the same time lol (while I was waiting to go). Back wheels went right over the kerb. Mother was not impressed! :P

It'll be my fourth... I know how bad that is but I really do think I've just been unlucky! :frown:. Hopefully the change in test centres will do me good, I really don't know! Good luck for yours though :smile:

I did the exact same thing the other day! Scared my dad haha but it was because we were going all the way round, and it's quite a tight roundabout.
Reply 8604
Meliae
I think part of the problem was lack of a quiet place for me to drive where I live and being stuck in traffic for ages in lesson 3. I drove home on my 4th lesson (I live up a very steep uphill off a main road going downhill) and started driving from the beginning after that.

Another thing I was wondering, he still tells me exactly what I need to do and when all the time. Is that normal, after 7 lessons?

i dunno ive not got to 7 lessons yet. but theres nothing to stop you doing it automatically yourself - dont wait for him to say change to 2nd, just do it, etc. mine will say everything in detail even basics in new situations, and if i havent done it. so if i havent changed gear and i should have by now he'll go "whats the engine telling you" or "we're coming up to a junction what you gonna do about the gears". so not exactly saying do this, but reminding me i should have done it. thats after 3 lessons/4 hrs.
I'm being pushed on to 90 min lessons so I can actually get to the test area and back...
*sigh*
I can just feel my money running away.
eden
i dunno ive not got to 7 lessons yet. but theres nothing to stop you doing it automatically yourself - dont wait for him to say change to 2nd, just do it, etc. mine will say everything in detail even basics in new situations, and if i havent done it. so if i havent changed gear and i should have by now he'll go "whats the engine telling you" or "we're coming up to a junction what you gonna do about the gears". so not exactly saying do this, but reminding me i should have done it. thats after 3 lessons/4 hrs.

Lol. Mine says the exact same thing! :p:

Oh and another one: "Use BOTH feet!" when slowing down or stopping. :rolleyes:
Had my first lesson today. Went better than expected - ie I didn't crash or stall it once (was a diesel though). Managed to hit fifth instead of third gear by mistake and my steering straight was a bit iffy to start with!
lozz2601
I'm being pushed on to 90 min lessons so I can actually get to the test area and back...
*sigh*
I can just feel my money running away.

Know how you feel! :wink: I've had to go up to two hour lessons with BSM cos my test area is too far away from where i live. Damn Warrington closing their test centre down, LOL! :p:

In such a crappy job with very few hours. Got a job interview at another place tomorrow! :wink:
Alisa25
Lol. Mine says the exact same thing! :p:

Oh and another one: "Use BOTH feet!" when slowing down or stopping. :rolleyes:

Haha! Mine's always on about using both feet too! :p: He's like "two-footed driving" :p:
Well. I've got a lesson tomorrow... 2 hours long! :/ longest I;ve ever had, and it will be my third lesson. I get so nervous behind the wheel, even if I just pass a car , I think it's gonna crash into me, how do I stop being so nervous! ?
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Haha! Mine's always on about using both feet too! :p: He's like "two-footed driving" :p:

Yep! :wink:

She calls my feet lazy too. :rolleyes: When I go too fast approaching a roundabout or smthng, I need to go slower and 'live' on the clutch a bit more, so she goes YOUR FEET ARE LAZY, USE THE CLUTCH, YOU GOT 2 FEET REMEMBER?!
DiamondsAreForever
Well. I've got a lesson tomorrow... 2 hours long! :/ longest I;ve ever had, and it will be my third lesson. I get so nervous behind the wheel, even if I just pass a car , I think it's gonna crash into me, how do I stop being so nervous! ?

I only have 2 hour lessons, just because I get so much more from them-I'm on something like 16 hours now and I still get nervous at the start, no idea why because I can drive well, but 2 hours means I don't waste so much time driving badly for 20 mins! I was so so nervous when I started driving though, for the first few lessons at least, but you'll overcome it :smile:

2 hours will give you more of a warm up and you'll get more into the driving-it's the only way to build up your confidence really :smile: You have time to settle into everything, experience more and so on. The more you experience situations that make you nervous the easier they become-I remember every time I passed a car I was scared, meeting situations were a nightmare, but now I think nothing of it.
Practise is the key! And don't do anything to stress you out prior to the lesson...I was on the phone to student finance for ages because theyd screwed up last week...5 mins later and my instructor was like....'um...so...had a bad morning?'. I'd stalled and gone over the limit twice lol :rolleyes: If you're as calm as you can be to start with, you'll notice a difference in your driving.
I passed my test around an hour ago!! :biggrin:
Reply 8614
small&mighty
I passed my test around an hour ago!! :biggrin:

Yeeeeah :biggrin: Well done!
C274
Yeeeeah :biggrin: Well done!

Thank you! I'm so happy haha, I thought I had failed, but the examiner was nice and just gave me minors. Only got 4 minors!
Oh Christ.. Lesson 17 was a piss-take. :frown:
I CANNOT ,for the love of god, get a balance between slowing down for roundabouts and accelerating out!!

I either go slowly for approach and then slow exit. Or too fast on approach and fast exit!! Never slow approach and fast exit.....

Oh and my right foot is a piece of steaming crap cos it doesnt like pushing the pedals (mainly the accelerator).

Other than that - no problems. Apart from major confusion at some junctions.. :wink:
Urgh I still keep doing things in the wrong gear. Like stopping behind a car and moving off in 2nd gear or turning at a junction in 3rd :dry: I know what to do it's just putting it into practice.

I managed to reverse park properly though which was good, but then I forgot where to look when doing a Turn in Road which was bad :sigh:
I've had my 8th hour of driving now and I still haven't progressed past travelling in 3rd Gear or doing the whole MSPSL when turning. Thinking I'm definitely moving at a slower pace than everybody at learning.

Also we've discovered something horrendous! My reference points for the cars, kerbs and parking are off because I have a tendancy to glide towards the left of the car with my body!!!

ACCCCCCCCCCCK. Please tell me I'm not the only one that has weird habits like this.
Reply 8619
Just had my second two-hour lesson. My steering is much better. I don't have to think about it so much now. We we just doing turning left into junctions, moving off and stopping. I keep doing everything right on some turns, then getting some kind of bad habit other times, like taking away the steering too fast. Also, I keep forgetting which order to do things when moving off...

I'm sure it will be rectified soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending