The Learner driver progression thread Watch

Alisa25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
If you stall after passing your test, you're a bit silly yeah. It's impossible to stall if you just take your time and make sure you have enough revs down before you even think of lifting your foot off the clutch.

When slowing down, just put your foot down early on the clutch so you don't stall, this is what I did whilst I was learning, it's coasting yeah and bad for the clutch but oh well, isn't classed as a fault, if you put your foot down slightly on the clutch it prevents any stalling anyway.

Never came across anyone beeping because you stall your car, most people were quite understanding.
Yeah I push the clutch probably earlier than needed. Well at least i wont stall...

Oh and you are lucky no-one got mad at you. Impatient idiots in my town piss me off. :mad:
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alisa25)
Yeah I push the clutch probably earlier than needed. Well at least i wont stall...

Oh and you are lucky no-one got mad at you. Impatient idiots in my town piss me off. :mad:
If anyone gets mad at me, even if it's blatantly my fault, I get ten times angrier and abuse them even more.

Driving does these things to you, I'm naturally a very calm person, until driving came along...
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If anyone gets mad at me, even if it's blatantly my fault, I get ten times angrier and abuse them even more.

Driving does these things to you, I'm naturally a very calm person, until driving came along...
Haha ok. :rolleyes:

I just hate it when they get annoyed when its not my fault or just a little mistake or smthng. Like once I was waiting on a hill at a junction to turn into a very busy main road. (lots of traffic coming in due to a big roundabout closeby). I was the first one. I couldnt for the life of me turn in and take the gap cos THERE WASNT ONE!! :mad: Cars were coming in VERY fast and the gaps that were there were tiny and I knew I'll make a ******** of it if i take it.

So a queue of like 4 cars behind me. No gaps. A stupid ***** starts flashing and beeping. UGHHHHH!! Then overtaook me whilst we made it on the main road. *****.

Okay. I see what you mean about anger. That rant kind of proves it all. :o:
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha ok. :rolleyes:

I just hate it when they get annoyed when its not my fault or just a little mistake or smthng. Like once I was waiting on a hill at a junction to turn into a very busy main road. (lots of traffic coming in due to a big roundabout closeby). I was the first one. I couldnt for the life of me turn in and take the gap cos THERE WASNT ONE!! :mad: Cars were coming in VERY fast and the gaps that were there were tiny and I knew I'll make a ******** of it if i take it.

So a queue of like 4 cars behind me. No gaps. A stupid ***** starts flashing and beeping. UGHHHHH!! Then overtaook me whilst we made it on the main road. *****.

Okay. I see what you mean about anger. That rant kind of proves it all. :o:
Yeah that is kinda pathetic, do people just expect you to cause an accident or summet? I don't get driving, it's not like anyone is in a rush yet people persist with being so impatient, it's amazing!
small&mighty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
Aww *hugs* Strangely enough a lot of people I've spoken to have taken 4 gos (random people from random places) So ya never know...

Haha parents, eh? I like to think when my child grows up I will let them drive my car no probs and no me so 'scared'. Don't really know though tbh.

Guess who stalled today at a mini on a liccle hill. Not impressed <_< Think it's cos I had a really high bite point and sorta jolted off. Oooops
If you had read a little bit after the post you quoted me... you would have seen that I passed yesterday Must have been the change in test centres afterall!!

When is your test?
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah that is kinda pathetic, do people just expect you to cause an accident or summet? I don't get driving, it's not like anyone is in a rush yet people persist with being so impatient, it's amazing!
Exactly!! :woo:

Well tbh some people ARE in a rush. But what i dont get - WHY be and ******* when they cant go anyway?! What will beeping and being jerks prove?! Will it make me move out and kill myself and others? I dont think so... :p:

Oh... The joys of driving.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
The once I had got the hang of turning left and right and stopping at junctions, I was going downhill, turning left and there was just this IDIOT stood in the middle of the road. Instead of thinking to brake, I thought ''What a ******* idiot!!!!!!!'' and just swerved around him... :/ lol.
:rofl: I've got moaned at for swerving rather than braking before Best thing is when it's people who are obviously taking the ****, walking in the road and stuff like that, and when you're a learner they don't trust that you'll go round them without hitting them, so get back onto the pavement pretty sharpish when they see you're not going to stop! Good luck with driving though
star_girl_dannie
Report 9 years ago
My lesson today didn't go to bad
I didn't do my usual trick of stalling at traffic lights, I was good at that this week LOL

I've also decided i hate little kids!
I was reversing round a corner and this group of 4 1o year olds came and stood in the middle of the road on the corner whilst I was moving!!!
I had to stop my manouver and waited bt they didnt move so i had to find sum where alse to practise
And I was parallel parking and some other kids stood behind me
I swear at one point the one kid leaned on the back of my car!!!
AARRGGHH!
Driving does make you angry LOL
lilangel890
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by small&mighty)
If you had read a little bit after the post you quoted me... you would have seen that I passed yesterday Must have been the change in test centres afterall!!

When is your test?
Eeee well donne Told ya 4th time lucky :P & soon
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok. What the ****?!!
I just went out with my dad in our car to practice. First time without instructor.
Oh my.. Disaster is not the word. He kept shouting at me and stuff.
When I approach junctions i slow down and THEN pick the gear (usually first). He kept saying that i slow down too much and should approach in second and do it in second!! :O
I wasnt comfortable with that At all!! And indicating was too 'early' when it SO WASNT!!
So yeah we stalled and i just said i wanted to go home.
Now he is all pissed, Im upset and we got to have dinner together. Christ.

Anybody else experienced 'parent-induced trauma' like this? I just feel like i cant drive and havent learned **** when i was in the car with him....

I love my instructooorrrrrrrr.....
small&mighty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
Eeee well donne Told ya 4th time lucky :P & soon
Hehe thank youu! And how soon? Good luck anyway!!

Ok. What the ****?!!
I just went out with my dad in our car to practice. First time without instructor.
When I approach junctions i slow down and THEN pick the gear (usually first). He kept saying that i slow down too much and should approach in second and do it in second!! :O
I wasnt comfortable with that At all!! And indicating was too 'early' when it SO WASNT!!

Anybody else experienced 'parent-induced trauma' like this? I just feel like i cant drive and havent learned **** when i was in the car with him....

I was like this at first with my dad. Best thing I found to do was go out when it's quiet and so you can take your time to get used to the different car (I'm assuming it's different?). Surely your dad knows that shouting at you isn't gonna help you, but I guess he's so used to driving himself that he isn't ready to let you take over if you like. I know mine was like that. Just don't give up and try going out again with him tomorrow, it will get better!
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hehe thank youu! And how soon? Good luck anyway!!

I was like this at first with my dad. Best thing I found to do was go out when it's quiet and so you can take your time to get used to the different car (I'm assuming it's different?). Surely your dad knows that shouting at you isn't gonna help you, but I guess he's so used to driving himself that he isn't ready to let you take over if you like. I know mine was like that. Just don't give up and try going out again with him tomorrow, it will get better!
Yeah different car, feels very weird. (haha smooth and more powerful than the manky learners car which i actually secretly love) :rolleyes:

Well I dunno If he realises that shouting whilst im driving is not helpful. I know he is stressed and all but IM BEHIND THE WHEEL!! And i need to go as slow as I require for junctions or turning into roads otherwise im not comfortable AND THATS a recipe for disaster...

Thanks for the advice though. Im glad im not the only one. I will prob try to go tomorrow but this time make my mom tag along so that she can tell him off if he's horrible. :p:
small&mighty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah different car, feels very weird. (haha smooth and more powerful than the manky learners car which i actually secretly love) :rolleyes:

Well I dunno If he realises that shouting whilst im driving is not helpful. I know he is stressed and all but IM BEHIND THE WHEEL!! And i need to go as slow as I require for junctions or turning into roads otherwise im not comfortable AND THATS a recipe for disaster...

Thanks for the advice though. Im glad im not the only one. I will prob try to go tomorrow but this time make my mom tag along so that she can tell him off if he's horrible. :p:
Yeah see I switched from a diesel car to petrol, and found that very tricky! I know exactly what you mean about going slow, maybe tell him that you need to go slow because you need to keep doing what it is that will help you pass your test - and what you're happy with.

What car is it just out of interest?
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah see I switched from a diesel car to petrol, and found that very tricky! I know exactly what you mean about going slow, maybe tell him that you need to go slow because you need to keep doing what it is that will help you pass your test - and what you're happy with.

What car is it just out of interest?
Oh dear. That must be tricky. I heard that its impossible to stall in a diesel, is that true?!

When i said that i need to go slow he said: Well you are gonna fail your test then! :eek: I was like: I havent even had 20 lessons yet!! Im just practising!

Oh and the instructors car is a Peugeot and our car is Honda Civic. The gas pedal is incredibly light in that one and i felt VERY uncomfortable going at faster speeds. *the highest being 30* Hell, i couldnt even feel the bite point! :o:

What cars ar you driving then? Just out of interest?
small&mighty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh dear. That must be tricky. I heard that its impossible to stall in a diesel, is that true?!

When i said that i need to go slow he said: Well you are gonna fail your test then! :eek: I was like: I havent even had 20 lessons yet!! Im just practising!

Oh and the instructors car is a Peugeot and our car is Honda Civic. The gas pedal is incredibly light in that one and i felt VERY uncomfortable going at faster speeds. *the highest being 30* Hell, i couldnt even feel the bite point! :o:

What cars ar you driving then? Just out of interest?
Oh no I had plenty of stalling in my instructors diesel car lol!

With junctions and stuff you do actually need to go slow, just in case, because you never know what's round the corner!

I have no idea what a Honda Civic is... *goes to look* ah I see, I'm guessing it's bigger than your instructors? I'm probably wrong I'm useless when it comes to cars.

I'm driving a Corsa - my instructors was a Toyota Yaris, but it was so much bigger than mine and I found it easier to drive mine, so after a while I switched and took my lessons in my own car and then my test as well - made sense as that's what I was going to be driving when I passed!
eden
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok. What the ****?!!

i love my instructor too. my dads only took me out a few times, when i was on his insurance for 2 weeks, but we had a policy. he isnt teaching me to drive, just facilitating practice. so he wouldnt tell me what to do, but i would tell him how io'd been taught to do it by my instructor and what he should watch me do. but things like "dont forget to change gear"... "why are you setting off in third"... etc he says too.

worked well for us anyway
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Passed theory 49 for multiple choice, 61 for hazard perception.
Now to pass the practical within 2 years...eek
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok. What the ****?!!

Yeah, i have! :o:

I failed my test like 5 weeks ago now, and it was because i got stuck in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway. After that instructor said i could learn with my dad, and then have a few lessons with him before second test, to save myself some money.

However, it all come to a head the first time i went out with my dad. :o: I nearly killed him in Asda car park cos i couldn't get the car to slow down, i went into the space about 20mph and was all wonky! :p: Oh and he also kept moaning cos i kept putting the clutch down too soon! :p: I ended up telling him to take me back home cos my blood pressure was going up, LMAO!

Been back with my BSM instructor now tho for about 4 weeks, and loving driving again. Second test on 24th September, so 6 weeks away now! :woo:
Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by eden)
i love my instructor too. my dads only took me out a few times, when i was on his insurance for 2 weeks, but we had a policy. he isnt teaching me to drive, just facilitating practice. so he wouldnt tell me what to do, but i would tell him how io'd been taught to do it by my instructor and what he should watch me do. but things like "dont forget to change gear"... "why are you setting off in third"... etc he says too.

worked well for us anyway
Well my instructor is like your dad now. Just 'asks' me what i might have to do and sometimes tells me what to do. But my dad is all: GO INTO SECOND!!! CHANGE NOW!! YOU'RE SLOWING DOWN TOO EARLY!!

Alisa25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
Yeah, i have! :o:

I failed my test like 5 weeks ago now, and it was because i got stuck in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway. After that instructor said i could learn with my dad, and then have a few lessons with him before second test, to save myself some money.

However, it all come to a head the first time i went out with my dad. :o: I nearly killed him in Asda car park cos i couldn't get the car to slow down, i went into the space about 20mph and was all wonky! :p: Oh and he also kept moaning cos i kept putting the clutch down too soon! :p: I ended up telling him to take me back home cos my blood pressure was going up, LMAO!

Been back with my BSM instructor now tho for about 4 weeks, and loving driving again. Second test on 24th September, so 6 weeks away now! :woo:
Lol. Well at least you saved some money... Oh and increased yours and your dads chance of driving-induced heart attack. I know i did today. :rolleyes:

Uhhh not long for you, my friend, not long!! Im sure you'll be fine. Even though your love for driving was brutally murdered by rents, the BSM instructor restored your faith in humanity. Its all good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.26%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (164)
40.49%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.25%

Watched Threads