Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turgon)
    We went onto the main roads after 2 hours, although he had to correct my driving himself a lot of the time.
    I've been learning for 9 months now, nearly 10 and i still do dodgy mistakes at times! :p:

We went on a roundabout about 2 weeks ago, it was a fairly large one and he'd obv said to go left, but i for some reason thought he'd said right. Get on the roundabout and he's there screaming "LEFT, LEFT, LEFT!" down my earhole, so i thought he meant i had to take the left hand exit so started to turn down there instead :o: Instructor grabbed the steering wheel and moved me away from the exit and was like "NO, WE'RE GOING STRAIGHT AHEAD, BUT YOU NEED TO BE IN THE LEFT HAND LANE" :p: My poor brain confused itself. :p:

ReputationRep:
    We went onto the main roads after 2 hours, although he had to correct my driving himself a lot of the time.
    yeh i really wanted to go on the main road. oh well. hopefully next week

ReputationRep:
    Lesson was awesome, the only thing I did wrong was at a roundabout when I stopped I was still in 2nd and he moved it down to 1st for me and I didn't notice haha.

Test soon! Feeling positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vaza)
    A question for people who have taken their theory test - what quality are the Hazard perception videos in the test? Are they DVD-like quality or blurry internet video style or what? My theory CD has some pretty weak quality ones and its hard to see changes like a car in the distance or indications from some distances. Thanks.
    Is that Driving Success? I've tried those, and it's nearly impossible to see cyclists.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I was going straight on at a roundabout, but somehow forgot to look to the right as I was going round it. Despite this, my instructor thinks I can pass in October :eek: I, however, will be surprised if I pass before the end of the year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    I've been learning for 9 months now, nearly 10 and i still do dodgy mistakes at times! :p:

We went on a roundabout about 2 weeks ago, it was a fairly large one and he'd obv said to go left, but i for some reason thought he'd said right. Get on the roundabout and he's there screaming "LEFT, LEFT, LEFT!" down my earhole, so i thought he meant i had to take the left hand exit so started to turn down there instead :o: Instructor grabbed the steering wheel and moved me away from the exit and was like "NO, WE'RE GOING STRAIGHT AHEAD, BUT YOU NEED TO BE IN THE LEFT HAND LANE" :p: My poor brain confused itself. :p:
    Yeh I've done that a couple of times. Once at a junction when I was meant to go left, I kept going ahead. Then, later on in the same lesson I nearly forgot to go left at a roundabout..

ReputationRep:
    I'm at that stage where I feel as though I'm going nowhere in my lessons, something which worries me slightly seeing as I'm paying around 22 quid per hour. We've pretty much covered all the main stuff at least once (only got reversing around corners, overtaking and crossing traffic left as the main things), but I can't seem to improve on any of it. Also, we haven't covered much of the minor stuff in the BSM Track Record (such as Awareness and Planning, Eco safe driving). If there's anyone else here that's with BSM - do the instructors bother with this stuff during lessons?
    I'm with BSM. My instructor fills out the BSM Track Record at the very end of each lesson, and in my current one, i can tell you that he has bothered with the Eco-Safe Driving one. Two weeks ago, he gave me a 4 in that section and underneath it written 5th gear - cos i hate using, but he said using that when going at higher speeds is bein Eco-Safe! :p:

Think he did use the Awareness and Planning one before my first test too, but i mis-placed the Track Record from before my test, so can't tell you that for deffinate.

ReputationRep:
    Well, not long until driving test now, it's on 24th September so two weeks away.

I'm currently having one 2 hour lesson a week.

However, i'm due something like £169.00 from the job centre, which the guy i spoke to on the phone today said i should get in about 2 weeks. So if they get their fingers out, and that is in my account by the first week of September, i'm going to see if my instructor can fit me in for two 2 hour lessons in the three weeks before my test, giving me around 17 hours to really get my manouevres up to scratch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    My instructor always fills out the track record at the end of every lesson.

And after how many hours did everyone start to come on the main roads. i was supposed to today (10th hour) but due to my dodgy driving in the first 15 mins we didnt hopefully next week
    I went on a 40 road at the end of my 4th lesson when I'd been driving about an hour and a half. My lessons are an hour and a half long, but he drove for 4 of the first 6 hours. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Is that Driving Success? I've tried those, and it's nearly impossible to see cyclists.
    Yeah it is, I'm getting good scores (4's and 5's mostly) with this DVD, but I'm just making sure that the real test is clearer because I've scored 0 on a few clips where its nearly impossible to see some indications, pedestrians etc.
    Theory on Thursday, gonna be one heck of a day, what with results in the morning... Wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan)
    Well, not long until driving test now, it's on 24th September so two weeks away.
    Lol, in what sense is that two weeks away? XD My test is on 18th September and I've still got four weeks!

Anyway, got a driving lesson today at 11 o'clock, and we should be going around a different part of the test area today :yep:

Good luck on your theory test Vaza!

ReputationRep:
    OMG.

I was driving along these private roads and then all of a sudden my instuctor was like 'right turn left at the end here'...and then I was on the bloody main road! Wasn't expecting that! I had to drive home!

At least I haven't got another lesson for a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vaza)
    Yeah it is, I'm getting good scores (4's and 5's mostly) with this DVD, but I'm just making sure that the real test is clearer because I've scored 0 on a few clips where its nearly impossible to see some indications, pedestrians etc.
    Theory on Thursday, gonna be one heck of a day, what with results in the morning... Wish me luck
    Aww, good luck with your results and test!

I keep clicking just outside the boundaries for the marks, even if I did see the hazard. I really hope the real test is fairer.

ReputationRep:
    Had another 2 hour lesson yesterday-first time doing bay park, which was much easier than I'd anticipated! Although when he got me to do it with cars actually parked either side and the owner of the car to my right turned up, I was like omg I'm going to crash into his caaaaaaaaaaaar!
    Poor guy looked terrified throughout the whole thing lol :p: Thankfully I didn't

I think I'm getting a bit too relaxed when driving now...I'm making silly little mistakes, don't observe quite as much as I should and go a bit fast lol :rolleyes:
    I guess it's a good thing really, because I was terrified when I started driving. Now might be the time to tighten up on things again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vaza)

Good luck!!

I used the same as you, and got 60 in the hazard perception-the clips are soo much clearer.
    On one of the dvd clips it was approaching a bend on a country lane and eventually you could see this big yellow slow moving vehicle emerging from a side lane into yours.
    I clicked as soon as I saw it and got 0! The scoring window opened waaaaaay before anybody could have seen it, and closed just before too! I even got other people to try it to check I wasn't just being stupid and blind but nope

You'll be fine on the real thing after that, I assure you!

ReputationRep:
    Got my first lesson in an hour and 15 mins, I have absolutely no previous experience so it should be fun xD

ReputationRep:
    just passed my theory waheyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSJ)
    just passed my theory waheyyyy
    Congrats! Was this your first time?

ReputationRep:
    ohmygosh.. my test is on monday :O and today was my last lesson. Everything was okay.. but I kept messing up the manouvres!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what to do.. im thinking to have another instructor for an hour just to let me get on and do manouvres, my driving instructor tends to push me. I need time :/

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Lesson 20. Was THE best lesson I have EVER had!!

We did dual carriageways for the first time and i totally loved it!! *even though i kept veering off to the white line on the left*

Love 70 mph a lot. But hate changing into 5th for some reason. The gear stick tends to hate it.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.