The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Got my test tomorrow morning, meep! Know I can pass, but ahhh! Just hope nothing odd happens on the day and I get a nice route!
purple-girl
Got my test tomorrow morning, meep! Know I can pass, but ahhh! Just hope nothing odd happens on the day and I get a nice route!

Good luck!
small&mighty
Good luck!

Thanks!
purple-girl

Crossing my fingers for you! I'm sure you'll be fine. :yep:
Got my 4-6th driving hours a little later doing bay park and hill starts
I fail at reversing round corners. I'll never get the knack of it :sigh:
Was supposed to have a lesson today, but it got canceled. Am really worried as my test is in a week and half, and I need all the practice I can get but I only have one more lesson booked before then, and private practice isn't possible for me. There's so much I still can't do!!

:woo: :woo: :woo:
Reply 8747
Finding a cancellation, such a pain in the arse.
fabulous_darling

I feel you pain, especially sweeping corners because the turning points are a lot harder to identify than with sharp corners, and I get so confused about which way to turn the wheel. I always end up either really far from the kerb or on the kerb :frown:
that_time
I feel you pain, especially sweeping corners because the turning points are a lot harder to identify than with sharp corners, and I get so confused about which way to turn the wheel. I always end up either really far from the kerb or on the kerb :frown:

That's what i end up like too! :frown: The first one that i did in yesterday's lesson, the car suddenly didn't wanna move and instructor asked me why, i had no idea. Then he pointed out which way the front of the car was moving, and it was because the front wheel was on the sodding kerb! :frown: Arghh! It was going round nicely too, at first, so i thought i'd managed it! :o:
Scott_Maslen_Fan
That's what i end up like too! :frown: The first one that i did in yesterday's lesson, the car suddenly didn't wanna move and instructor asked me why, i had no idea. Then he pointed out which way the front of the car was moving, and it was because the front wheel was on the sodding kerb! :frown: Arghh! It was going round nicely too, at first, so i thought i'd managed it! :o:

I did the exact same thing yesterday! I was trying to straighten up after reversing around a corner, but the car just wouldn't budge. I thought I'd broken it or something :o:

Damn kerb getting in the way.
Reply 8751
fabulous_darling

What position do you put your wheel in when reversing around a corner?
Tabris
What position do you put your wheel in when reversing around a corner?

Do you mean the steering wheel? Full lock left when reversing around a sharp corner, half a turn then later on another quarter of a turn when going around a long sweeping corner.

Was that what you meant or did I just completely misinterpret your question?

EDIT: Just realised you probably meant my front left wheel which for some reason became inexplicably wedged against the kerb! :p: I must just be generally crap at straightening up.
Waay managed a hard RRC today (corner comes a long way around - very sweeping. Then becomes sharp and is up a slight hill.) Happy with that. I think thinking 'hang on it's going towards my mum, need to steer in more and quickly glancing into the little mirror instead of nearly relying on it helps.

&& My instructors new tip (which seems to be workingish) is to concentrate out the back (side window or little side window) then stop every 5secs or so to check for traffic AND analyse what's happening. Instead before I was trying to look around at the back, the side, the front etc
I failed :frown:. COMPLETELY messed up RRC, ended up going WAY too wide somehow. There was a van near the corner preventing me from going as far forward as I normally do, so I blame that heh. Also got another major for apparently approaching a mini roundabout too quickly and making others slow down or something? Minor for speed, and 2 minors for junctions. Ah well. Could've been worse I guess :tongue:
purple-girl
I failed :frown:. COMPLETELY messed up RRC, ended up going WAY too wide somehow. There was a van near the corner preventing me from going as far forward as I normally do, so I blame that heh. Also got another major for apparently approaching a mini roundabout too quickly and making others slow down or something? Minor for speed, and 2 minors for junctions. Ah well. Could've been worse I guess :tongue:

*Huugs* Awww I know how it feels. What number test was this? And :mad: I sodding hate other road users.
lilangel890
*Huugs* Awww I know how it feels. What number test was this? And :mad: I sodding hate other road users.

Ah, it was my first test =). Not too surprised about failing though. Just annoyed about the RRC as I did it perfectly in the lesson beforehand. Ah well, just have to book it again.
Got my test in just under 2 weeks, i had my mock test (with a different instructor) a few days ago and i passed but the drive was terrible, if i had that for my real test i would have freaked.

I was going to turn right at a mini rounabout and it was really busy, the person to my right was indicating left so i got onto the roundabout because it was clear, the car behind the person to my right pulled out in front of me on the WRONG SIDE of the roundabout and i had to emergency stop. several people reversed out in front of me and a lorry pulled up facing the wrong way on my side of the road blocking traffic both ways and i had to stop either really close or far away because there was a junction AND a zebra crossing i opted for really close but got a minor for it :frown:
Was supposed to bay park and hill start ended up doing parallel park which was fantastic makes me wonder what people find difficult saying that I can't TIR to save my life.
purple-girl

Oh no :frown: It makes me wonder why they get you to do maneuvers when there's other vehicles in the way, don't think it's very fair. 3 minors is good though! Have you rebooked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending