The Learner driver progression thread Watch

lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purple-girl)
Ah, it was my first test =). Not too surprised about failing though. Just annoyed about the RRC as I did it perfectly in the lesson beforehand. Ah well, just have to book it again.
Yeah I know what you mean. My RRC was good before but on test was terrible (got minors in both control and obs) but I think he didn't give me a serious cos I'd already failed, n he was a nice guy :P What was your examiner like? & yeah I'd book it now tbh
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The examiner was really nice . I've just tried to rebook, and there are ALREADY no appointments available before I go to uni. At both test centres I could potentially use. No idea what I can do now...guess I just have to look for cancellations?
Tabris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fabulous_darling)
Do you mean the steering wheel? Full lock left when reversing around a sharp corner, half a turn then later on another quarter of a turn when going around a long sweeping corner.

Was that what you meant or did I just completely misinterpret your question?

EDIT: Just realised you probably meant my front left wheel which for some reason became inexplicably wedged against the kerb! :p: I must just be generally crap at straightening up.
Oh no, you were right the first time.

For sweeping corners, I wait until I'm about to reverse around the corner (so a little tiny bit of kerb in the left wing-mirror and put the bottom of the Y to about the 10:30 position and hold it there. That gets you around most corners, though you may need to switch a bit once you get a bit too far or close to the kerb, it usually does the job just fine.

Works for me, the only time I've ever touched a kerp when reversing around a corner was when I went around an unusually long corner without noticing until it was too late.
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have now stickied this, so everyone can see it all the time. Enjoy.
C274
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Minardi)
I have now stickied this, so everyone can see it all the time. Enjoy.
Thank you.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a 2 hour lesson on Thursday. It was alright i guess.

We practiced all the manouevres.

TIR, i'm usually good at this, but for the first time i messed it up! :cool: He took me down a road they used to use when they did tests in Warrington, because there's plenty of traffic down there. I did the first turn going forwards and was fine, then however i noticed a big massive lorry coming down the road, and it totally messed me up! :o: I was worrying about him and in the process managed to bump into the kerb when i'd reveresed backwards. :o: After it instructor said "You were worrying about that big lorry weren't you?" I was like "Yeah." He then said that he knew i was because he was watching me!

RRC, i've never been good at so there's nothing really new here. :p: But i totally messed the first one up. It was a sweeping corner. I came round the corner and thought i'd managed it for once, then however, the car stopped moving. I had no idea why and then my instructor pointed out which way the car was moving - my front wheel was touching the kerb! :o:

PP, not really that good at this one either. The first one, i went forwards and got us parallel with the car next to us. Instructor was then saying that i'd got too far away from the 'victim' car and as a result would hit the van on the other side of the road when the front of my car swung out. :cool: I obv looked confused, so instructor made me take the handbrake off and the start the manouevre as i would do, just to make me see what he meant. Sure enough i saw that if i went any further i would hit it!

BP, it's annoying this one really as i was alright at it before my first test and did it ok in my first test, but now can't do it! We did Left and Right ones. The first one i only had two spaces to aim for as there was a big piece of metal in the other spaces, i ended up going too far back so wasn't going to end up in the bay. :o: Then we went to another row of spaces in the car park, where there was more for me to aim for. I managed one and got in, but then was umming and ahhing over whether my wheels were straight ahead, anyway instructor confirmed they weren't as he had watched the steering i did, so knew what the car was doing! :p: I went forwards, and straightened them - so instructor said that would be one minor fault in test.

He said that i need to understand meeting traffic situations more. There was one on the lesson, i had a parked car on my side and there was a van parked on the other side. There was a car coming down the other side of the road, and instructor asked me what i was going to do, i said "Well i'll let him through." Instructor was like "Well i wouldn't" and told me to carry on through, because the guy on the other side flashed me through. Instructor then told me if i'd have stopped where i was, the other car wouldn't have got through because of the parked van on his side!

Oh, and i clearly still have issues with turning left and keeping close to the kerb! :o: Twice in the lesson, i came up to a give-way line and because there was no-one behind me, instructor pressed the brake to stop me, opened his door and asked me why i was so far away from the kerb! I truly miles away, i could see the kerb when the door was open, so that proves it! :o:
Tabris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a cancellation booked for Wednesday!!!

I'm quite confident about it, but the more I think, the more nervous I get :s
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tabris)

Good luck mate! I'm sure you'll be fine! Will keep my fingers crossed for you ;-)
small&mighty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I know it's easier said than done, but try to forget about it. I made myself mega busy in the days running up to my test, and only remembered about it (as such) the day before.

Good luck for Wednesday
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My test is soooo soon. I'm frickin' terrified. I don't feel ready and I'm convinced I'm going to fail :sad:
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Good luck!
laura-rad
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Think I've got TIR pretty much down
Tabris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
My test is soooo soon. I'm frickin' terrified. I don't feel ready and I'm convinced I'm going to fail :sad:
Good luck with your test as well!
Atrixa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just booked my theory test on 9/11, lol. Probably not a good omen.
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well am quite looking forward to this week, cos i've upped it to 3 hours a week before my test on 24th September.

This week i'm having a 2 hour lesson on Thursday (12 - 2), and then a 1 hour lesson on Friday (12 - 1). Bring it on!
C274
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So I'm coming up to a red light where I'll be second in the queue and just as I stop, they turn green. I didn't think I'd need the handbrake as I thought I was on the flat so I switch my right foot from the brake to the gas and it turns out I'm on a slope and I start rolling backwards. Scared of crashing into the other car but wanting to move forwards as the light was green, I don't use either brake but instead I panic and floor it. Oh the wheelspin.

Turned out I had plenty of space between me and the car behind, otherwise my instructor would have slammed on the brake.

Oops.
Tabris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh no, I think I've forgotten how to bay park.

Just trying to go through things in my head before my test on Wednesday...and I don't remember the checkpoint for bay parking!
xconfetti
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my first test is tomorrow.... i'm pretty nervous XD i'm scared i'll just forget everything as soon as i start lol :/
chrismufc
Report 9 years ago
theory test 2moro, wish me luck ppl of TSR
Tabris
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chrismufc)
theory test 2moro, wish me luck ppl of TSR
Good luck lad
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads