The Learner driver progression thread Watch

PringlePops
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Had my 3rd lesson this morning, was going brilliantly, only stalled twice and got into 4th gear (not accidently for once ) andd did dual carriageways....but then on the way home got horribly cut up by a big white van coming off a roundabout really scared the hell out of me and of course I stalled twice and was just a bit of a mess. Annoys me how I'm trying to learn to drive safely when some people just don't bother
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
welcome to the real world! People not indicating at roundabouts is really annoying me at the minute.
sauce
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by PringlePops)
Had my 3rd lesson this morning, was going brilliantly, only stalled twice and got into 4th gear (not accidently for once ) andd did dual carriageways....but then on the way home got horribly cut up by a big white van coming off a roundabout really scared the hell out of me and of course I stalled twice and was just a bit of a mess. Annoys me how I'm trying to learn to drive safely when some people just don't bother
I know this idiot did it to me yesterday! I was going right at a roundabout third exit, there were three lanes to enter the roundabout so I was in the right with a right signal trying to get in the right lane. Then he took the middle with no signal and I assumed he should be going straight as that was his only option. However he used the middle lane to turn right and cut me up :bawling: I stayed calm though and just let him go!
PringlePops
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
welcome to the real world! People not indicating at roundabouts is really annoying me at the minute.
lol i know it's what happens everyday and to almost everyone but just wanted to share...at least if/when it happens again i'll probably deal with it better. on the bright side though the road i kept stalling on last lesson i did today with no problems whatsoever
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
Also, the best thing to do when people do these kinda things is to not act surprised by it....especially if when you're in your test, say someone cuts into your lane in front of you and you go "Bloody hell!" or something then it shows that you weren't expecting it/weren't aware of the vehicle.

Obviously it's hard to do, but I've started getting the hang of expecting the worst of anyone (especially taxis/van drivers!) so as soon as I see one beside me or anywhere near me I expect them to do something stupid! So when they do do something annoying, I just shrug it off, and sometimes say out loud "Thought you were going to do that!" :rolleyes:

But people not indicating at roundabouts. I could kill them!!
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Today I got to drive myself home! And it was only my second lessons, so I'm so pleased, I didn't think I'd be doing it for a while! Especially as it involves going down one of the busiest roads around this area! Was made harder for me by the fact that there were road works going on so it had to go through a thin lane trying not to knock any cones over! But I'm so proud of myself! I also went up to 3rd gear, am able to change gear really smoothly which I'm happy about, did a left and right turning at a junction onto a busy road (which is what the next lesson will be working on even more) and went around a roundabout on the way home. Not bad for only 2 hours of lessons!

I'm so excited about my lessons, I can't believe my friend used to cry the night before hers every week because she hated it so much, because I love mine and my instructor is brilliant! I look forward to it so much, and only get nervous just before it.

I've found that some people are so unsupportive of learners though. I had a woman undercut me as I was waiting to turn right onto another road. To make it worse, when she actually was waiting for me to go, she was behind me giving me evils and drinking tea out of an actual mug! Then I had a van tailgate me when I wasn't even going all that slow! And I was indicating to turn left, and he just overtook me! He could have waited until I was starting to turn, but he overtook then turned into where he knew I was going, so I haven't a clue what he hoped to achieve by doing that?!! aaaaaaaaaaaagh...must not get roadrage!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i loved my lessons too, but i used to in the beginning get really nervous just before them too. I just want to pass my test now! small matter of the reversing manovres to work out though!
spriteman
Report 11 years ago
i have my (third) test in just over a week :afraid:
sauce
oh yeah i forgot to say but yday this learner was parked up in this small village near where I live up on the kerb in a place you can't really park with the hazards on(parked, bit on kerb, bit off if you get me). The ADI was out helping this cyclist or something who was on the floor #zomg#.......I don't wanna think what happpened but the learner was in the car in the driver's seat with a very blank expression!
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Had my 11th lesson today, shockl horror, it was a good one!

We did some work on clutch and speed pedals, I seem to do well on these when Im focused and in the quiet areas my instructor takes me. When it comes to main roads, I tend to get abit nervous, my instructor said it was natural due to extra pressure.

Then a truck nearly crashed into us! We were at a mini roundabout, I indicated left, just as we set off, this truck came from our right into our path of the road without indicating! The instructor stopped the car, I thought Id done something wrong, but he said the guy hadnt indicated.

Did a 3 point turn, can someone give me some advice on it. I stalled it when I was reversing, I took my foot off the acceleration rather than the clutch, just tips would be appreciated.

Just need to improve consistency regarding pedals.

Knowing me, Ill probably have an awful lesson next!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not sure about the stalling during the 3 point turn, in my car i'm quite lucky since it only need gas when going up hill, i can do it all via the clutch and brake. When the car starts speeding up dip the clutch, if it doesn't slow quickly get onto the brake pedal.
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yay

I had a good lesson today. Back to my 2hr lessons which is quite refreshing actually. It was a lovely sunny morning and everything was going perfectly, nice driving, no stalling. Did some manoeuvres, bay parking = perfect each time, reverse around the corner = perfect, parallel park = hit curb at first but realised why that was happening so did it another 3 times and did it perfect.

Stalled only once in the whole two hours and it was just in a stupid place for a stupid reason, so no harm caused.

Next 2hr lesson on Friday, then test on Tuesday! But my instructor said that if I drive anywhere near the standard I drove today on my test then I'll pass for certain! He even took me to all the hot spots (i.e. one way roads that aren't marked, double roundabouts, tight hidden junctions, etc etc!) and I did them all perfectly :proud:

As long as I don't panic on my test
sauce
i love lessons like that!
namtlade
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pony Jack)
Better hurry up then, I booked my test on Saturday and the earliest available was the 14th December..
Good luck on thursday!
December? For oxford the earliest dates are now around 15th jan. You just have to keep checking a few million times a day for cancellations, like mine which is next tuesday. Gotta pass this time, 2nd time lucky right?
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi there. I am still learning, although shamefully i have been learning a year and 4 months now! Although to be honest i am now at a point where i dont really need to be taught...i just get tested and picked up for any faults instead! I can tell because all my instructor ever does now is gab about his hectic life while i drive about all over!

I used to have a terrible problem with clutch control when i first started. I found getting the bite really hard and i stalled alot. Its the fine balance between clutch and gas. I drive my mums car as well though now and i drive it everywhere. I've learnt the trick is add more gas as your car starts to move. My instructors car starts off very slow though, i think its designed that way for learners. I also had alot of trouble with forward planning and manouvres...all in all it took me ages to learn! I have been doing test routes for months now and even though my results have got better i still get serious errors for the silliest things...like leaving my indicator on ...

I did my theory test last month, passed with flying colours. I just need to book my practical test now...and to be honest i keep putting it off and go up and down but really i just need to go for it. I guess im just scared of failing as my instructor expects me to pass first time, but if i dont its not the end of the world, just take it again!

So just to tell everyone even though i have still not passed my test it has taken me a long time to get the hang of this driving lark and now i am brilliant. I even had trouble with turn in the road...and believe me now i think about it i cant believe i found it so hard! So if you feel down about your driving you will get there, and dont care how long it takes, the end goal is to pass your test and if it takes 6 months or 2 years you will do it in the end, and that is all that matters.
MathematicalMind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jenren22)
Hi there. I am still learning, although shamefully i have been learning a year and 4 months now! Although to be honest i am now at a point where i dont really need to be taught...i just get tested and picked up for any faults instead! I can tell because all my instructor ever does now is gab about his hectic life while i drive about all over!

I used to have a terrible problem with clutch control when i first started. I found getting the bite really hard and i stalled alot. Its the fine balance between clutch and gas. I drive my mums car as well though now and i drive it everywhere. I've learnt the trick is add more gas as your car starts to move. My instructors car starts off very slow though, i think its designed that way for learners. I also had alot of trouble with forward planning and manouvres...all in all it took me ages to learn! I have been doing test routes for months now and even though my results have got better i still get serious errors for the silliest things...like leaving my indicator on ...

I did my theory test last month, passed with flying colours. I just need to book my practical test now...and to be honest i keep putting it off and go up and down but really i just need to go for it. I guess im just scared of failing as my instructor expects me to pass first time, but if i dont its not the end of the world, just take it again!

So just to tell everyone even though i have still not passed my test it has taken me a long time to get the hang of this driving lark and now i am brilliant. I even had trouble with turn in the road...and believe me now i think about it i cant believe i found it so hard! So if you feel down about your driving you will get there, and dont care how long it takes, the end goal is to pass your test and if it takes 6 months or 2 years you will do it in the end, and that is all that matters.
Thanks for that, it's made me feel a lot better and I'm sure it will for others too. Good Luck in your test whenever you do it!
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks! I will book it tonight i think...i will...i will .
Azza
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just done a few online theory tests, done OK in them overall. Got 41 and 37 out of 50 on the first two which is a fail (need 43) but after going through my mistakes and picking up the highway code I've got 49 and 47 out of 50 respectively.

Anyone know where I can watch a demo or practice my hazard perception test online without having to register on something?
prettyblueeyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've now had 13 hours and booked my test for the first week in December. My general driving around is fine, and my instructor doesn't really have to do much, we just chat whilst I drive around. Only sticking point is that I often go to move off whilst in 2nd gear, I just forget to put it in to 1st when we come to a stop at lights etc. Hopefully my examiner won't be too talkative so that I'm not distracted and forget on my test, as it then flusters me if cars are behind me! Other than that I'd happily just drive around all day, I love it.

My manoeuvres are a bit more testing however. Turn in the road is fine, only I sometimes forget to do an observation over my left shoulder. I've not done too much reversing round the corner, but this seemed quite easy, can do it perfect 70-80% of the time, it's just getting the point at which the car is parallel to the new kerb that I need to really perfect. We haven't really done bay parking but my test centre doesn't have bays, so not being perfect at it isn't a huge worry for now. My reverse parking is the worst, I just can't get the hang of it. Although I think it may be the way he has taught me to do it, which he says is easier, but I'm not so sure. Basically, I reverse until the side bar of my car is at the back of the car I'm next to, 1 full turn to the left, move back, one full turn to the right, move back until the car is 6inches away from the curb (all of this is judged by using the blind spot mirror) and then one full turn to the left to straighten. I never end up the right distance from the curb and get really annoyed with myself. I eventually get it right in one position, but then we drive up the road to another space and I'm useless again! A lot of my friends learnt with the 1 full left turn, 2 turns to the right or full lock right, then one left to straighten up which seems simpler but my instructor doesn't think this is a good way! I also don't turn round in my seat or look out of the back to guide me (just the windscreen and blind spot for observations) and do it mostly by my mirrors (he thinks the blind spot mirrors are the best thing on earth I think) but I'm not sure whether to just try and master his technique, or ask him to teach me the other way!
I've got 7 more lessons pre-paid for (although will obviously pay for more if needed) before my test on the 5th, so it's just a case of getting my manoeuvres perfected and remembering to go in to 1st.. not sure if it's do-able but hopefully as I'd love to pass before Xmas!
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (115)
26.38%
No (321)
73.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise