Turn on thread page Beta

The Learner driver progression thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    12th hour today. finally moved onto the main road today. i was actually a lot better than i thought considering i was stuck on residential areas for 10 houurs cos i was not good enough. will be starting maneuvers next week hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alisa25)
    Aww. Have a virtual hug!

Dont worry about it, it was just one very crap lesson amongst soo many good ones. (i assume :o: )
    Cheer up and dont give up! :woo:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Yes, completely. Only last lesson did things look a little better. I am still stuck at this point though, eg, no matter how many times she says to me left hand first (cluth steer gear) my brain just doesn't accept it I think failing 1st time completely knocked my confidence (even though I didn't think I'd pass)

You really aren't the only one there. Even trivial things that I learnt in like lesson 2 are dodgy at times Please don't give up, if I'm sticking at it so should you! There's always cancellations if you're flexible. Random one's always seemed to pop up at my test centre (like twice a day)

& as for your instructor grabbing the wheel, don't worry about it. Mine still does like every other lesson. Got the other day 'Watch my alloys!!' Hehe then she pushed me away from the kerb. I'm terrible, too far or too near :P

aww thank you
    I've got over it a bit now lol, just had a bit of a total flunk morning! Trying to see it as a learning experience :p:
    Onto next weeks lesson!!

ReputationRep:
    I felt like giving up last lesson too. I think there will be about 4 or 5 lessons where you just feel yourself falling apart, which is the stage I'm at right now. I'm having to make my own decisions, and act on them. It's much harder than it sounds. Just stick with it, I say. I've got my test on 18th September, so I won't get another one in before Uni. I have to passss! D:

ReputationRep:
    I've had 10 lessons so far and I have another 5 to go, anyone reckon I'll be ready for my test after 15 lessons with no private pratice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrismufc)
    I've had 10 lessons so far and I have another 5 to go, anyone reckon I'll be ready for my test after 15 lessons with no private pratice?
    15 one hour lessons? If you are ready I envy you! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you need to rack up the extra hours behind the wheel at all, just been told about competition on the BSM facebook page, seems they're giving away free simulator lessons just for signing up to the page.
    It's going on for a month, so the odds look pretty good. Nothing to lose, eh?
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...2447516?ref=ts
    Good luck folks!

I'm onto test number 2, need all the (cost effective) help I can get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrismufc)
    Totally possible, I did 10 hours of lessons and 4 hours of private messing around in a rented corsa.

Passed with 1 minor. Just need to concentrate and change your driving style to 'pass for test'. Then you can go all crazy and drive with one hand and that :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Managed to 'fail' twice today. One was stupid though. I was at a mini r/bout about to turn right and the people directly opposite me weren't waiting! So I waited for the 2 idiots to get off the r/bout then went. She said a boy she used to have got failed for that at the same r/bout :O Wtf? Apparently I was meant to slowly creep into the roundabout. Grrr.

&& Another on a hill coming from behind parked cars (had a car length in front, about 2 inches behind!) I checked all around. Indicated and suddenly there's this white van coming up the hill quite fast. So I stopped half in half out (people could still get past) but she said that would be a failure.

And I managed to hit the kerb twice. Things aren't looking good for test.

&& sodding crunching brakes. Anyone know what a serious or dangerous on an emergency stop would be? Is not stopping quick enough one? Veering? Crunching? Or are they minors?? Taa peoples

ReputationRep:

&& sodding crunching brakes. Anyone know what a serious or dangerous on an emergency stop would be? Is not stopping quick enough one? Veering? Crunching? Or are they minors?? Taa peoples
    Usually a instructor is supposed to pick a good time to do a emergency stop anyways, usually the only thing you need to know is to stop as cleanly and straight as possible. Also always press the brake first, then the clutch. Remember to check blindspot and that when you start moving again.

ReputationRep:
    I've had about 5 2 hour lessons so far, recently been doing turn in the road and roundabouts, I hate the roundabouts always manage to get nervous and end up in the wrong lane, but slowly learning, nearly cracked turn in the road, a few more tries and I should be reasonable on that, slowly I am gaining confidence in my normal driving, but I do tend to get nervous on busy occasions but that's all part of the learning process, hopefully I can pass before end of the year as I am eager to start driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDDenniZZZ)
    Usually a instructor is supposed to pick a good time to do a emergency stop anyways, usually the only thing you need to know is to stop as cleanly and straight as possible. Also always press the brake first, then the clutch. Remember to check blindspot and that when you start moving again.
    Thanks Any ideas about failure though? Would be the stupidest thing to fail on. I'm hoping I don't get one this time. The old fiesta was great, no crunch, heavier steering so no veering. But this one...!

Yeah, thanks for the checking reminder, I must remember to do that. My brain thinks 'I'm in the middle of the road - GO quick!!

ReputationRep:
    Test on Thurs! Had a good test today, did a 5 point turn for the first time and should have it down by then, the rest of my manoeuvers are ok. My only problem are really busy mini roundabouts xx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Any ideas about failure though? Would be the stupidest thing to fail on. I'm hoping I don't get one this time. The old fiesta was great, no crunch, heavier steering so no veering. But this one...!

Yeah, thanks for the checking reminder, I must remember to do that. My brain thinks 'I'm in the middle of the road - GO quick!!
    From what I've read and herd, usually the reason for a major is slowing someone else down, like not giving enough time and distance between you and another car. Speeding is a instant fail as well. But again being hesitant is minors as well. Just drive normal, so good speed (±1-3 mph of limit). You can't really fail the emergency stop, I was told they say your going to have a emergency stop first, then warn you that their going to put their hand out when you need to do it. Usually this is done at about 20-30mph. They pick the spot to do it, so you can't really fail it, I didn't even get it on my test. You can't really fail on it. I used to press both pedals just to be easier :rolleyes:

Good luck, just be a complete nerd, so constantly checking mirrors and REMEMBER blind spot from a set off, loads of people forget. Feel confident and you will drive good. Sometimes you can get away with stalling and such things like that because they know its the nerves. If you get into the zone start talking to the examiner, helps calm the nerves.

I passed with just 1 minor, it was the first time I did 70mph on my test :o: , just be vigilant and confident.

Good Luck as well.

ReputationRep:
    Passed my theory today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coggy99)
    Passed my theory today
    Congrats I know that a relieve it is, passed mine today as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikz05)
    Congrats I know that a relieve it is, passed mine today as well
    Thanks! You too!
    So glad i've gotten it out of the way

ReputationRep:
    I think i might be making a comeback to this thread, i think i might of been caught speeding AGAIN! gahhhh... 35 in a 30 BAD TIMES!

ReputationRep:
    -
    Depends on the individual, I only started revising on Sunday, just kept going through the pre set exams, and learning from my mistakes. Got to a stage where I was passing each pre set exam and gave up revising, did a handful of HP exams to get the flow of them.

Most of it is common sense, I've had first aid training and the accidents section was a complete breeze.

Learn the road signs, the arm signals, police arm signals as well. You've got a fair amount of time until yours, recommend reading the Highway Code, everything is covered in there and also makes good reading for when you are actually driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    I had to explain to my instructor what an acute and obtuse angle was after he said on my first turn I should aim to be at an acute angle to the side where I starts, which would basically mean point the same way....
    On Sunday I had to explain to my instructor the difference between perpendicular and parallel lines.

ReputationRep:
    Well today had a GREAT lesson. She even said that after a couple of lessons like that we can start booking the test!!

There was a bit of a ********** of bay park though. I havent done it for soo long that I started turning the wheel full lock to the left instead of right. (its just that we've done a RRC earlier in the lesson and i was prob still in my BRING ON THE RRC STEERING mode). Haha I just stopped and said: The car seems to go the wrong way. She was like: It sure is. FIX IT. :P
    I fixed it and actually went in dead straight and perfect into the bay somehow. One of the mysteries of life. :rolleyes:

Oh and I also gave a confusing signal at a roundabout but that was ok.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.